Going sugar free
Eczema story

Southampton, UK

#1 Mar 15, 2011
My eczema is mostly on my arms, every spring it seems to go crazy and attack everywhere it can. This year I'm giving up sugar for lent to see if all the rumours about it are true.
My blog:
http://meandtheskin.blogspot.com/
I understand if you don't want to read my prattle - I will try and include all my eczema 'hints and tricks' i've found along the way
:)

Since: Mar 11

New York

#2 Mar 15, 2011
Eczema story wrote:
My eczema is mostly on my arms, every spring it seems to go crazy and attack everywhere it can. This year I'm giving up sugar for lent to see if all the rumours about it are true.
My blog:
http://meandtheskin.blogspot.com/
I understand if you don't want to read my prattle - I will try and include all my eczema 'hints and tricks' i've found along the way
:)
I'm trying to avoid sugar too. Along with dairy, wheat, chocolate, etc. Have you heard of apple cider vinegar? I heard that it's good for eczema. I got my bottle today and so far I see that it's working. Just dilute it with water and apply it externally on your eczema. I put mine in a little spray bottle.
Tash

Southampton, UK

#3 Mar 16, 2011
I'd never heard of cider vinegar on the skin but I have some so i'll try using it - thanks a lot :) Do you know roughly how much to dilute it?

Wow that's a lot of food to avoid - hows it going?

New York

#4 Mar 17, 2011
"Do you know roughly how much to dilute it?"

Yes, half cup of water and 2 spoons of apple cider vinegar. I bought the organic one at iherb for about 5 dollars. It's the "bragg" brand. I heard that it's the best type. It definitely tastes good though (better than my non organic one). I have been spraying it to my itchy skin and the itch immediately goes away. And I'm trying to drink it as well 3 times a day (half cup w/ 2 spoons of ACV). It helps also with itchy scalp. All you have to do is wash your hair with shampoo, rinse, and then pour a bottle of water with apple cider vinegar in it to your scalp, rinse, and you're all done.

"Wow that's a lot of food to avoid - hows it going?"

Challenging. I just have to be real careful cause my skin gets irritated when I touch food. So lets say I'm eating an apple or a pineapple, I have to wash my hands real good right after cause if I don't, my hands start to get extremely itchy. All I have been eating is rice chex (different flavor ones too). They are gluten free. I'm currently trying out this milk called lactaid. So far I haven't gotten itchy from it. I've also tried goat milk. It didn't get me itchy either but it's way to expensive. About 5 dollars for a small carton. Silk soy milk and cow milk makes me itchy, so I have to stay away from those.

For lunch I eat an apple or a pear. Or sometimes I'll make a carrot/celery/pineapple drink.

For dinner I usually have chicken, broccoli and rice, or steak, potato and rice, or chicken soup with veggies, etc, etc.

I'm also taking fish oil pills once a day.
Tash

Dungiven, UK

#5 Mar 20, 2011
The vinegar thing sound really promising - I definitely think the problem with my skin is linked to PH balance because the water where I live now is very hard and its made my skin so bad. Just need to get my hands on some... My housemate has some which is not organic, is that not so effective? How long have you been trying it?
Your diet sounds pretty healthy!:) do you eat eggs? And you eat feta? Its a bit more expensive than cheese but I find it keeps my skin happy.
an apple or pear for lunch is quite small!
Thanks for all your help

New York

#6 Mar 21, 2011
Tash wrote:
The vinegar thing sound really promising - I definitely think the problem with my skin is linked to PH balance because the water where I live now is very hard and its made my skin so bad. Just need to get my hands on some... My housemate has some which is not organic, is that not so effective? How long have you been trying it?
Your diet sounds pretty healthy!:) do you eat eggs? And you eat feta? Its a bit more expensive than cheese but I find it keeps my skin happy.
an apple or pear for lunch is quite small!
Thanks for all your help
I tried the non organic and it irritated my skin. The organic ACV didn't. The non organic probably adds chemicals that can irritate sensitiive skin. So it's best to go for the organic one. I would like to eat everything organic but it's too expensive. I have been drinking ACV and spraying it to my skin for about a week now. Everytime I drink it, my allergies seem to go away. Once the allergies/itch comes back,I have another glass of that. It's way better though than Benadryl cause that pill gets me so drousy.

I cannot have eggs because I am really really allergic to them. Even if I smell someone making scrambled eggs, my skin starts to get itchy and my nose gets congested.

And I actually eat both for lunch, apple and pear. It fills me up. But just yesterday and today I ate bad. I was just upset cause I woke up extremely itchy, so I just had some brownies yesterday. I got a bad stomach pain after that. And today I had a bagel with cream cheese and coffee. I know, bad. I'm itchy as I'm typing this. It's just such a boring diet. But whatever, I just have to deal with it.

I don't know if I told you yet but I also have a nickel allergy. Nickel is almost in everything, so I think that's what triggering my eczema as well.

Where I just moved a few months ago, the water is hard and has been making my skin bad. Showers are the worse, but I immediatley moisturize right after.

I'll check out that cheese that you mentioned.
Susanne

Annandale, Australia

#7 May 17, 2011
Hi Tash. Have you tried using only SLS and Paraben free shampoo's, moisturies and body washes? This helps alot. Also I found this website http://www.getbest.info/natural-cure-for-ecze... and tried the sea salt bath and after 3 days I am much better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eczema Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
eczema in ears (Aug '09) 21 hr Jean Hess 10
Am I experiencing RSS or TSW? Feb 11 ikonik1 1
casting real people for leading health website ... Feb 5 CH_Casting 1
my 5-yr old scrotum eczema is cured (Aug '10) Feb 2 Mr_Healed 5
eczema on eyelids (Feb '06) Jan '18 rfiorito 177
Adult Eczema Rubbing Alcohol Cure (Feb '17) Dec '17 MightBeMites 7
Evening primrose plus flax seed oil supplements... (Jan '10) Dec '17 Ktboplt 30
More from around the web