Evening primrose plus flax seed oil supplements! Helped my Eczema greatly!

Posted in the Eczema Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joey Sipos

Seattle, WA

#1 Jan 4, 2010
Iíve been taking 2 1300mg capsules of Evening Primrose 3 times daily plus 1 1000mg capsule of flaxseed 3 times daily for about 3 weeks now and my eczema has cleared dramatically! The dosage is about two to three times more then your suppose to take but it seems to do the trick. 2 weeks ago I had my worse outbreak ever where my whole body was covered in really bad eczema, I would wake up with my sheets littered in dry skin and blood spots all over. The steroid creams seem to have stopped working because nothing was happening and probably because Iíve been using them my whole life Ė im 21 by the way. My eczema was slowly and surely driving me insane!

It took about 2 weeks to see any effect but right now my skin has been clear for a couple days and it feels totally rejuvenated Ė Iíve never felt my skin so healthy in my life! It feels moist and really smooth and I havenít even been applying lotion. When I wake up there in not a speck of dry skin left on my sheets and when I feel my skin itís hard to believe itís mine. I also used to have bad dandruff but I canít even get a flake out of my hair right now! I notice I still have occasional flare up where I feel a little itchy here and there, probably because of some allergy I have to food, but when I go to scratch I feel moist smooth skin and I wonít scratch it! My body must have been lacking OMEGA 6 GLA, which is an essential fatty acid that promotes healthy skin. Itís only found in evening primrose, borage oil and some fish. Iíve read that studies have proven that high dosages of evening primrose does help eczema considerably! I also read that some studies canít be released to the public because the drug companies donít want people to know about it. Even though borage oil has the same GLA fatty acid it has been proven to not work as well as evening primrose. Evening primrose seems to have some special property that is not found in the other supplements.

Iím wondering if anyone else has found evening primrose to help. Itís helped me considerably! Please email me at joeysipos@yahoo.com or respond if you found it to help or not help. Iím interested to know what the effects are on others!
Allison

Winnipeg, Canada

#2 Jan 17, 2010
Hi to anyone who reads this- Just wanted to let people know that this has also worked for me. I've been taking Evening Primrose and Flax Seed Oil for about two weeks. I've been taking about twice the recommended dose of Evening Primrose and 1-2 Tablespoons of Flax Seed Oil (taking the actual oil, I've just been mixing it in with my yogurt)

Either way, I was desperate to try anything because my skin was dry, flakey, and painfully itchy to the point that I couldn't even go out some nights. I literally tried everything to get it moisturized- olive oil baths, coconut oil, using a humidifier, EVERYTHING I could think of.

After about two weeks of taking the supplements my eczema and dry skin is almost entirely cleared up. It's amazing... in 22 years of having eczema (I'm 22- and have had it since I was a baby) I've never had results like this. I really really recommend trying it to anyone who has even a small issue with eczema.
Allison

Winnipeg, Canada

#3 Jan 17, 2010
I also just want to add that if anyone tries it to make sure to give it a few weeks to take effect. I've read a bunch of stories online and it always takes awhile to help, but it DOES help.
dreamcatcherco

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Jul 28, 2010
Propelled by my agonizing itchiness, I did research on the net for ideas. I saw a suggestion to try flax seed oil on a different board and tried it with a bit different experience with it than the poster, but with ultimate success. The dosage I (initially) tried was 2 kitchen spoonfuls (silverware) every 2-3 hours. The poster said her mother had severe eczema and had tied a lot of treatments but no success. Then she went to a health food store & started taking a tablespoon of flax seed oil every 2 hours. It was gone in 3 days with no recurrence. I find taking spoonfuls of oil pretty aversive, but the result I am getting is absolutely worth it. I sampled a strawberry banana flavored fax seed oil in the health food store. It actually was good! That isn't the kind I got. My eczema was apparently more stubborn or slow than the poster's mother's. My experience is more similar to what is being reported here. I think I had eczema when I was a little kid. In the last few years my winter itch with forced air heat has been agonizing. But I've also been very dry & itchy in any season. For some time I've been taking 2 flax seed capsules & 1 fish oil every other day. Then the next day I'd take 2 fish oil and one flax. Apparently that was not enough. I think this attack was triggered by heat and humidity. I was trying to save a few pennies by leaving off window a.c. units until I lost patience with being hot. I was doing a lot of perspiring. And I had not been applying any lotion to my back and the back of my neck, although I was using shea body butter with coconut on the rest of my skin. The worst, biggest rash was on my upper back and the back of my neck. The itch there particularly drove me crazy and I scratched scabs. I also had bloody scabs on my head--mostly around my hairline. Actually, that's where it started. I also had small patches on both legs and arms, my neck--really pretty much all over. At first when I took the flax seed internally (I took 2 tsp every 2-3 hours then), I saw no improvement except slight itch relief. Finally the bumps started to be less raised and angry. Finally after that they got less red and inflamed. I also applied evening primrose oil externally very frequently. It's been over a week that I've been hitting the oil hard and I've finally gotten so I can take oil spoonfuls every 2-3 hours twice in the morning and then be fine until evening--which is GREAT! I plan to continue with this until it goes away--which it is starting to do--and then go onto a routine maintenance dose as part of my regular vitamin/supplement intake. To heal the scabs, I have also used magnesium oil. I am writing my experience with this because I have been miserable, and I hope this might be of help to someone,
Joey

Seattle, WA

#5 Oct 26, 2010
So I went with 2 months not taking any supplements and of coarse me skin has returned to extremely itchy and dry lately. So I decided to perform a test. I only took flaxseed oil to see if this had any benefit by it's self. To my surprise it did exactly what I had originally posted. In fact i'm not sure if the evening primrose even does anything! It could all be the flaxseed oil doing it. My skin returns to a nice texture and color. I also notice my hands get cold easy too... not sure why. I take two 1000mg flaxseed pills in the morning and night. Anyways just keeping people updated with any discoveries i come across! I've only been on the flaxseed for a couple days so I'll keep you posted if it keeps my skin clear.
Don

Norlane, Australia

#6 Jul 18, 2011
Joey, any updates? I'm interested to find out your progress.
stella

UK

#7 Sep 15, 2012
I did this take 1 tbsp of barleans flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil every 3 hours and my eczema flakiness cleared up. I had been skin brushing every morning and covering my toilet seat with flakes for 3 months. My skin has been healing up and the tone of my skin is looking good.
Joey Sipos wrote:
Iíve been taking 2 1300mg capsules of Evening Primrose 3 times daily plus 1 1000mg capsule of flaxseed 3 times daily for about 3 weeks now and my eczema has cleared dramatically! The dosage is about two to three times more then your suppose to take but it seems to do the trick. 2 weeks ago I had my worse outbreak ever where my whole body was covered in really bad eczema, I would wake up with my sheets littered in dry skin and blood spots all over. The steroid creams seem to have stopped working because nothing was happening and probably because Iíve been using them my whole life Ė im 21 by the way. My eczema was slowly and surely driving me insane!
It took about 2 weeks to see any effect but right now my skin has been clear for a couple days and it feels totally rejuvenated Ė Iíve never felt my skin so healthy in my life! It feels moist and really smooth and I havenít even been applying lotion. When I wake up there in not a speck of dry skin left on my sheets and when I feel my skin itís hard to believe itís mine. I also used to have bad dandruff but I canít even get a flake out of my hair right now! I notice I still have occasional flare up where I feel a little itchy here and there, probably because of some allergy I have to food, but when I go to scratch I feel moist smooth skin and I wonít scratch it! My body must have been lacking OMEGA 6 GLA, which is an essential fatty acid that promotes healthy skin. Itís only found in evening primrose, borage oil and some fish. Iíve read that studies have proven that high dosages of evening primrose does help eczema considerably! I also read that some studies canít be released to the public because the drug companies donít want people to know about it. Even though borage oil has the same GLA fatty acid it has been proven to not work as well as evening primrose. Evening primrose seems to have some special property that is not found in the other supplements.
Iím wondering if anyone else has found evening primrose to help. Itís helped me considerably! Please email me at joeysipos@yahoo.com or respond if you found it to help or not help. Iím interested to know what the effects are on others!
peace

United States

#8 Oct 21, 2012
Hey anybody tried Hempseed oil? I read that its one step ahead of flax seed oil and it relieves eczema. Anyone has tried it ? I just want to know that does it causes intoxicant or not?
Thanks
Alan

London, UK

#9 Oct 29, 2012
Hi joey or Allison. How has this kept up for you? And what about anyone else taking 2x or 3x the recommended dosage for evening primrose oil 1000mg plus flaxseed oil 1000mg?

Would greatly appreciated your experiences guy as I've just started this about 3 days ago...

Thanks

Alan
KatieNicole

Kaneohe, HI

#10 Oct 29, 2012
Wow! Thank you so much for this thread! I have been suffering with horrible eczema for nearly 10 years now. It hinders me from doing simple things like wearing my wedding bands, texting on the phone, cooking, washing dishes, my hair ect... I will be heading to the store shortly to try this out! If it works I will be forever in your debt.
Alan

UK

#11 Oct 30, 2012
KatieNicole wrote:
Wow! Thank you so much for this thread! I have been suffering with horrible eczema for nearly 10 years now. It hinders me from doing simple things like wearing my wedding bands, texting on the phone, cooking, washing dishes, my hair ect... I will be heading to the store shortly to try this out! If it works I will be forever in your debt.
Katie,

Go to holland & Barrett stores, they are doing their "penny sales", effectively buy one get one free on these supplements!

I've been taking these for about 4 days now and it seems good so far.... But I want to know how effective this is longer term? I hope the OP and others will reply to let us know the answer :)

Alan
zarah

Lympstone, UK

#12 Jan 15, 2013
I just recently been taking primrose oil capsules been 3days to be precise&ive been getting headaches &i seen that on the net you will get mild side effects.. Should I carry on? Because my skin is v dry n itchy but have seen a difference on face feels soft
Claire

Edinburgh, UK

#13 Jan 16, 2013
Hi! I've been taking 3x 1000 mg of evening primrose capsules and 2x 1000 mg of flaxseed oil for just over a week, after reading posts on here. I've also just started prescription of pro topic ointment. I don't know whether its the oils I'm taking or the cream but my skin has improved dramatically:) I have suffered from atopic dermatitis on my face, eyelids and hands for 15 months. Had a really bad outbreak in between Christmas and new year, was really depressed with my appearance and the pain!
My skin on tthe rest of my body has improved more supple and very soft, believe this owing to the oils! If you suffer for eczema etc I would recommend as I feel it has made a difference so far x x
Tim

London, UK

#14 Jan 25, 2013
Hi guys I've suffered from ecezma since a baby in my teens I was able to control it well and never really had any major issues. However since from the age of 20 to now 29 it's got worse and worse so much so I've had to take time off work and been bed ridden due to it been too painful to even move. I'm currently just getting over one of these flare ups but my skin is still and painfully, I've tried all sorts of creams and nothing keeps this beast at bay. I'm currently tryin some aloe Vera jelly and mixing it in my daily moisteriser centraban. This I think has helped a little and day by day I'm gettin some suppleness back in my skin, the only down size to it is that it's quite expensive 12 quid for a small tube, it also stings like mad on open skin. From looking at the previous posts I've just obtained some primrose oil tablets and I hope they can help! All the best my fellow sufferers!
Emily Smith

Bristol, UK

#15 Feb 24, 2013
Started taking evening primrose capsules (3-4 a day) 4 days ago and already my skin is so much softer. still a tiny bit itchy but nothing like what it was. Can really reccommend them! Also washing with sweet almond oil is soothing.
Bill

Alexandria, VA

#16 Feb 26, 2013
Thanks Joey an Allison,
I haven't had my problem with my hands as long as long you guys have been battling this condition only since last March, but I gonna try this, I have tried all the lotions, with no success, went to doctor he prescribed a steroid cream, no luck there either, I been taking the evening primrose oil & flax seed for only 3 days an I feel something happening to my hands it feels like they are healing. Thanks so much for the knowledge !!
Andrea

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Mar 16, 2013
I read these posts and put my husband on mega doses of Flax and Evening prim.

His eczema is so bad it's hard for him to work (type on his laptop) because it cracks and bleeds.
And he's horribly ashamed.

It'll be 2 weeks tomorrow that he started doing the oils but we haven't seen any difference yet.

Should we be seeing the start of some results?

Thanks for your feedback.

Fyi, within 2 days of taking these oils his extreme depression completely lifted so the two conditions may be related.
verytiredmummy

Eastbourne, UK

#18 Apr 25, 2013
Hello, I am desperate to help my 6 year old son who is covered from head to foot w eczema. He has suffered from birth and is miserable at school cos he's itchy n struggles to concentrate. Other kids are mean and it breaks my heart to see him suffer like this. He is on the highest regime available in terms of emollients and steroids. We've tried everything I can think of including excluding food groups, acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine. I cannot protect him from all the triggers he encounters particularly at school such as dust, pollens etc, which exacerbate his skin. Another mum told me the NHS used to prescribe evening primrose oil and it worked for her now grown up son. Any idea what dose would be suitable for a 6 year old? His consultant isn't that helpful. Also any other random tips gratefully received! He is allergic to egg and sesame so is on a restricted diet. He has never slept through the night cos he's so itchy and we are actually desperate for any new leads. I wet wrap him, cream him w emollients x4 daily and he uses eumovate and elocon. His consultant can only suggest prednisole, which makes him angry and aggressive.
Sophia

Edmonton, Canada

#19 Apr 25, 2013
I have been on EPRO for years, Good thing is i can sleep much better and i look better , bad thing is my hair is getting thiner and thiner. So i stopped the evening prom.rose oil, then my hair grew back . since i miss the time of sleeping well , i started it again , 1000mg per day , then i start to loose my hair again right after one week on the capsl. Scaring !
maree7

Saint Marys, Australia

#20 Jul 6, 2013
Hi all, my daughter is 5 1/2 and has had eczema since birth so bad that her hands crack and bleed. She has been lucky not to get it on her face - just dry skin. We have tried the normal relevant bath oils, no soap, moisturizers morning and night and cortisone creams - only seem to minimize the itches. Has trouble sleeping as scratches all night whether she is awake or not. 2 months ago I visited a pharmacist in QLD NSW who is also a naturopath who recommended 10ml of Flax Seed Oil once a day and using a different moisturizer - Eau Thermale Avene - Emollient balm made in Paris. We have had her take the Flax Seed Oil religiously each day since by mixing it with yoghurt about 2 Tabs after dinner and using the new moisturizer and have noticed a huge difference in her skin condition - no cracked or dried hands, not scratching in her sleep and even the dandruff has decreased. Definitely recommend it. However, today was told by another Naturopath/Pharmacist to try straight fish oil instead of Flax Seed Oil. From the research I have done and reading your posts will try both the Fish Oil and Flax Seed Oil daily. Hopefully will improve even more than she has. Wishing anyone who has this condition all the best as I know as a mother how upsetting it is watching a child with it let alone having it myself. Cheers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eczema Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is there a cure for eczema? (Mar '12) Thu mister206 32
Skin care experience with Jarvis Cometics Oct 22 whelyalbert2222 1
My eczema was cured- A story from a 14 year old... (Jun '06) Oct 16 tracy 237
Ear Eczema HELP! (Dec '09) Oct 8 Merna 73
Dupulimab: new drug; likely eczema cure Oct 8 Mitch 5
The ocean did WONDERS for sons eczema!!! (Aug '08) Sep 28 melstilinski24 39
People say this All Natural Eczema Oil really w... Sep '14 Fenwick 2

Eczema People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE