eczema on eyelids
Mike

Lexington, KY

#43 Oct 9, 2008
jimmy anderson wrote:
hello i used to have eczema on the eyelids and used cortisone cream and it has mostly gone away but 1 year later my eyelid has became wrinkled and often becomes red but no swollen. do anyone know of a cure to get rid of the qwrinkles so it looks normal again. thanks to anyone
Well, one thing that's most likely to help is at www.UltimateSkinCareSolutions.com
Gonzalez

Huntingdon Valley, PA

#44 Nov 3, 2008
DBeth wrote:
I recommended a product to a friend of mine who had eczema on her eyelids and she called it a miracle. It's called Soothing calendula salve and is made by a company called Healing Anthropology. It's the same stuff that got rid of my eczema and it's 100% natural. It truly is too, I read the ingredients and there's nothing synthetic. I hope this works for you too!
<quoted text>
Does this have any effects? After I use this product will I get wrinkles on my eyelids? I've heard with most products that people use with eczema treatments have symptoms. Thank you so much!
Michael

Las Cruces, NM

#45 Nov 11, 2008
The only advice I have gotten from my doctor is to use Hydrocortizone cream. I like to do my own research, and most of what I found was that your eyelids are very thin and coritzone cream on them will diffuse through and get in your eyes a little bit. From what I have read, The problem with that is cortizone in the eyes causes cataracts.

I don't want something that's "all natural" ("all natural" is BS anyway, cocaine is all natural but I wouldn't take it) or "miracle." I'd just like to know if someone out there has found some kind of real, safe, working treatment that I can discuss with my doctor
Choomama

Vancouver, Canada

#46 Dec 1, 2008
For almost a year, I had an eczema on my eyelids. Skin becomes flaky, red, and super itchy. On one eye lid, the itchy area seemed to be moving from the brow to the eyelash line. On the other eye lid, the skin was swollen as well as itchy and red. In addition, I was losing an awful lot of hair and gaining substantial amount of weight. I went to see 2 GP's, 1 allergist, 2 dermatologists - no one knew how to cure it. I had been prescribed Topicort, 2 other cortisone creams, and Elidel. None of these worked. I then made up my mind and went to see a Naturopath at $84.00 per visit. After almost 4 months of very expensive treatments and no effect, I switched to acupuncture. The Chinese doctor told me that the skin condition was only a manifestation of inflamations in the immune system and hormone inbalance, which was most likely brought on by high level of stress and fatique. The acupuncture was showing a very gradual amount of improvements. To keep the eczema at bay, I must stay away from all seafood and spicy foods. Later, a friend recommended a doctor who uses electrical stimulation and acupuncture. I was very nervous at first because I've never heard of this type of treatment. But after seeing how busy he was, I decided to give it a try rather than just do an initial consultation. I'm so glad I did!! After just 2 visits, I can see a significant improvement - the swelling, itchiness and redness are almost completely gone!! Instead of scratching it ever 10 minutes or so, I noticed that I only scratched my eyes 2 twice today!! I'm really glad to have found him. I wanted to share my story with you because when I first got the eczema, I panicked and read all of your comments here and got the different creams people suggested here. To be honest, the only thing that really helped with my itchiness on the eye lids was the Burts Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil. All the others just burned. But that's just me. I can't tell you how amazing it is to finally not feel so uncomfortable. If you haven't found a cure, maybe check around your area to see if anyone practices this type of advanced electro-acupuncture - it's truly a life saver!
idiopathic

Alhambra, CA

#47 Dec 8, 2008
I have eyelid eczema too. It started out as a cut in the corner of my eye that never heals. I would like to find the cause of my eczema. I wear glasses and the eye piece is pretty close to my eyelid. I am curious how many of you out there with eczema uses glasses or contacts. I'll maybe switch to contacts if its worth a try.

Hard water has been shown to be associated with childhood eczema. The UK has a clinical trial right now testing deionizers in homes of children, they should have the results end of 2009. Just thought I let you know.

Other than shampoo, tap water, my glasses, I can't think of anything else that would trigger it.
idiopathic

Alhambra, CA

#48 Dec 8, 2008
Sorry, I thought I'll get better response if I pose the question separately.

If you suffer from eyelid eczema, do you wear glasses or contacts?
( a few responses will be sufficient)
Nora

Des Plaines, IL

#49 Dec 11, 2008
idiopathic wrote:
Sorry, I thought I'll get better response if I pose the question separately.
If you suffer from eyelid eczema, do you wear glasses or contacts?
( a few responses will be sufficient)
I do not use glasses or contacts and have it
Dan

Enfield, CT

#50 Dec 16, 2008
SherlockHomes wrote:
I guess it's just a coincidence you and the company you are touting are located in Phoenix, AZ?
<quoted text>
Yeah, it's really weird that someone might buy something from a store in the same city as them.*GASP*!
Ruth

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#51 Dec 17, 2008
jimmy anderson wrote:
hello i used to have eczema on the eyelids and used cortisone cream and it has mostly gone away but 1 year later my eyelid has became wrinkled and often becomes red but no swollen. do anyone know of a cure to get rid of the qwrinkles so it looks normal again. t
h anks to anyone
It is unfortunate that it is not stated on all and any type of cortisone creams, that they will thin the skin and cause wrinkles.Many people do not know this is a side affect,and it doesn't take long for it to thin the skin.
Ruth

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#52 Dec 17, 2008
Cortisone creams all thin the skin and cause wrinkles,in a short amount of time.
Ruth

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#53 Dec 17, 2008
cortisone creams thin the skin and cause wrinkles in a short amount of time, so be careful.
Sachi

Kailua Kona, HI

#54 Dec 28, 2008
I've had eczema on my eyelids for a year or two now (also on my throat). It's really bad this morning, super puffy and dry so I came online looking for answers. I'll share some of what I've been doing, but obviously nothing has been 100% effective for me so really I'm looking for answers more than trying to give them. From the research I've done, I have concluded that the root cause of eczema is poor digestion. When food putrefies in your gut it becomes toxic and enters your blood stream. Your skin then tries to release the toxins and eczema is the result. In western medicine this is called leaky gut syndrome, in ayurveda (which has the same conclusion) they call the toxins ama or amavish. Earlier this year I did a colon cleanse (I used the colonix program) to try to clear out some of the toxins in my digestive tract. I felt good afterward and if I recall properly I don't think my eczema was bad at the time (eczema isn't my only concern due to the leaky gut thing, I am also 5-10 lbs underweight and it's difficult to gain). After the colon cleanse I also had no desire to eat sweets which lasted for quite a few months (could just be coincidence?). A friend who studied Ayurveda recommended adding spices to every meal, drinking ginger tea, taking Triphala (an ayurvedic suplement similar to enzymes) with each meal and chyawanprash (I don't know how to describe this, it's like a jam or apple butter and I happened to already have some so I took it until it ran out) and DO NOT eat after 10:00 pm because your body detoxes between the hours of 10-2 am and anything eaten during that time just becomes toxic. I followed this for several months I am not super regular though and have been slacking as of late. I found this allergy spice mix that might be helpful (just add to steamed/cooked veggies and it makes a nice curry).
3 parts tumeric
6 parts fennel
6 parts corriander
1 part black pepper
1 part ginger powder

I have much more to add but I will submit this post and start a new one as it is a lot to read.
Sachi

Kailua Kona, HI

#55 Dec 28, 2008
By the way, I am 23 years old, and am now (not during the colon cleanse) 4 months pregnant.
Another friend (who is my neighbor) says she and most of her family members suffer from some form of allergies or eczema and what she has found is that it tends to run in families (which is true for me, my mom gets eczema on her hands sometimes, my younger sister has had really bad skin problems all over her limbs all her life, my older sister was just diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (also a digestive issue), another younger sister has minor allergies, and my dad has some allergies) The point being that we are born with a certain amount of certain digestive enzyemes (some families more than others) and when these enzyemes run out we need to supplement them. That is why some people become allergic to milk as they get older, their bodies no longer produce lactase, the enzyme that helps digest milk proteins (I believe lactose intolerant people can drink milk if they take lactase with it). Well, what she does is she lakes enzymes with every meal and she has for years. She claims she has no more allergy or eczema problems because of it. I haven't tried it as it is expensive to be constantly buying enzymes. Also, the specific brand she takes is supposed to be the best (also probably more expensive) but it's not available in stores. Like I mentioned before, I took Triphala which is sort of the Ayurvedic equivilent to enzymes. If you want to try this out you can buy amalase and other enzymes from health food stores.
Okay, on to things I have really tried... I have gone to an allergist and have been taking allergy shots for a few months now although I haven't been for two or three months (could that be why my eczema is back?). I keep forgetting my appointments (I blame it on pregnancy memory fog). A little history first though: I grew up in Arizona and had some minor allergies starting when I was about 10. I became allergic to cats. I also had minor seasonal allergies as a teen, and I was allergic to dust. I moved to Hawaii when I was seventeen and had full-blown constant allergies. My eyes were itchy and sometimes I would rub them so bad that they would swell up and look like someone had punched me. I also had sneezing fits. I took anti-histamine eye drops which prevented me from scratching my eyeballs to shreds but only worked temporarily. Over the years my allergies have seemed to become less and less, but the eczema replaced it. Anyway, the allergist determined that I am allergic to mainly dust mites, and then mold. I am also allergic to cats, dogs (a little less than cats), and the only food item that showed an allergy was oranges, but just slightly. So I've been taking allergy shots and it's hard to say if it's been helping for sure, but I think it has. And I will make a new appointment on Monday.
Sachi

Kailua Kona, HI

#56 Dec 28, 2008
On to next subject... my husband worked in the supplement department at a health food store for a few months earlier this year and he would learn about natural therapies (which I've always been interested in but he hasn't paid much attention to) and receive samples of different products. Some of the products that I've tried on my eczema are Mobu Herbals X-tracting balm and S.O.S. balm (these are expensive, like $20 but a 2 oz. tin). The extracting balm is meant to draw out toxins and the SOS balm heals dry/broken skin. The combination of the two was recommended for eczema. I still use the SOS balm as a lotion on my neck eczema, but I gave up using the X-tracting balm because I think it is too powerful a product and only makes the eczema angry. I'm not patient enough to find out if long-term use will cure it, but I doubt it would. It's meant more for the use of getting rid of skin tags, pimples, moles and that kind of thing. It's a great product, but not for my eczema (and definitely not for my eyelids). Next, I have been using a tiny sample tube of Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser and a citrus facial scrub, both of these are very moisturizing and soothing on my eczema. They offer a bit of relief (though not likely a cure) and I think I will buy some of the facial cleanser as there is not much left to squeeze out of the sample tube. Last but not least there is neem. My husband learned all about neem oil and how it is a natural antihistamine, antiseptic, anti-inflamatory and antibactirial and so on. It is really a wonderful product for so many health issues. We recieved a sample of TheraNeem leaf and oil cream, which has all natural ingredients. When my eyes would become puffy and red from itching/rubbing them I would apply the neem cream to my eye area and the swelling and redness would go away. I figured if neem cream is good, neem oil will be better, so I bought some and I have to say, for my eyelids at least, the neem cream was better than the neem oil. I think I oil dries out to quickly without the other ingredients to help moisturize my dry eyelids. Since I've had eczema I have stopped using moisturizers that contain petroleum in them on my skin. I actually just use olive oil as a moisturizer which my skin seems to like (I have dry skin). For the most part, I don't like to put anything on my eczema, I only moisturize my neck right after I shower, any other time of day putting things there only irritates it. The more I leave it alone, the more it leaves me alone. That having been said, I recently discovered using honey mixed with olive oil (and salt or sugar if you want to make a scrub) is VERY moisturizing and soothing. I used it on my face and all over my body and my skin felt so soft and nice all day!
One more thing, one of the above posts made me think about. My 3yr. old son has an elevated lead level in his blood. We don't know where it is coming from but think it is most likely from the water pipes in our house. We ordered a proper water filter to filter out lead, and I am wondering if my eczema could have something to do with lead in the water used to wash my face (and drink and shower).
So if anyone has any suggestions for me, that would be great, I have done a lot of research and know a lot of things that may help, it's just a matter of DOING them.
Here is my personal prescription for myself:
eat more fruit and raw foods with enzymes
buy more neem cream for puffy eyelids
start taking allergy shots again
exercise to get things moving and get my skin sweating to help eliminate toxins
stop eating after 10:00 pm
find a good natural moisturizer
buy more of that facial cleanser (or put honey/olive oil mixture in bottle for convenience to use)
keep eating lots of spices
use filtered water on face (when new water filter arrives)
think about investing in enzymes (or take up Triphala again)
Sachi

Kailua Kona, HI

#57 Dec 28, 2008
I hope these posts help someone in some way in your efforts to become healthy and comfortable. Eczema sucks, especially in such a sensitive area! Sorry I have such long posts (it obviously didn't fit in one post) but I feel I need to share what I have found to help others, and if anyone can help me, it would be good if they know my history. So good luck to you all!
Sachi

Kailua Kona, HI

#58 Dec 28, 2008
Sorry, there is more I added that didn't get posted, I'll try to remember what I wrote and make it shorter.
My husband worked at a health food store in the supplement department for a while and he would get free samples of natural products.
Some of the ones that I've tried on my eczema that have helped are Thera Neem leaf & oil cream, and Burt's Bees orange essence facial cleanser. The neem cream helps reduce puffiness and redness especially after I have been rubbing my eyes (neem doesn't smell to good, but it's an amazing treatment) I also bought pure neem oil, but I like the neem cream better because it's more moisturizing. The Burt's Bees facial cleanser is good because it is very moisturizing and makes your skin soft. But if you don't want to spend any money I have also found a mixture of honey and olive oil (with salt or sugar if you want to make a scrub)VERY moisturizing, I used it on my face and all over my body and my the skin one my body felt soft all day long (my face felt soft most of the day, and longer than with anything else I've tried). Please don't think I work for Burt's Bees just because I mentioned them, really just use the honey/olive oil thing instead! I haven't used petroleum products on my skin since I've had eczema. I just use olive oil as a moisturizer and my skin seems to like it, it just doesn't last as long as I would hope.
Anyway, I can't remember what else I posted, but here is the last part ... If anyone has any suggestions for I would love to hear them.

My personal prescription for myself:

eat more fruits and raw foods with enzymes
exercise to get things moving in my body/get my skin sweating to remove toxins better
stop eating after 10:00 pm
get more neem cream for puffy eyes
find a good, natural, petroleum-free moisturizer
get more of the facial cleanser (or put honey/olive oil mixture in bottle for convenience)
keep eating lots of spices
consider investing in enzymes (or take up Triphala again)
jill

Thunder Bay, Canada

#59 Jan 5, 2009
The Revitol all natural skin exfoliator is the revolutionary age-defying skin care system that peels away the ravages of time to reveal the secret of a beautiful face beautiful, healthy, radiant youthful looking skin.

http://www.revitol.com/site/revitol_skin_exfo...
Nightengale Lutz FL

Saint Petersburg, FL

#60 Jan 7, 2009
amb-nyc wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you, and others will read my posts. I have nothing to gain. I suffer as much, if not more (according to my doc) than any he has seen. As I have said, I have spent so much money I want to puke. I am trying to offer only my story, nothing more. There are no miracle cures people, that I KNOW!
NOONE has said anything about trying to clear their eczema INTERNALLY! I truly believe that is where the problem all stems from. And if you don't clear it out internally you will always have to keep applying something to the area.
Change diets to things that don't trigger the symptoms. You may have to keep a journal for a while to discover what might be triggers. Detoxify your body. There are many different mild to extreme herbal cleanses and detox formulas. I'm not going to recommend anything particular since I don't want to sound like an advertisement.
I personally have cleared up my eczema on my eyelids (I've never had it anywhere else) with an herbal internal body cleanse (pill form) I got at my local health food store, along with moisturizing my eyelids with a grape seed oil and handmade moisturizing cream I get from a local herbalist. And more important than anything else make sure you're drinking enough water for your body. So many ailments begin with the body being chronically dehydrated. Everyone needs to drink a minimum 1/2 ounce of water for every pound of body weight.(I weigh 140 lbs and drink at least 70 oz per day) And when I'm working out excessively I add to that.
Unfortunately doctors do not know enough about nutrition and well care and only receive their continuing ed through the drug reps. All they know to do is to cover up symptoms not to cure. Until more people push for their doctors to do more integrated medicine nothing will change.
Good luck everyone.
Nightengale Lutz FL

Saint Petersburg, FL

#61 Jan 7, 2009
NOONE has said anything about trying to clear their eczema INTERNALLY! I truly believe that is where the problem all stems from. And if you don't clear it out internally you will always have to keep applying something to the area.
Change diets to things that don't trigger the symptoms. You may have to keep a journal for a while to discover what might be triggers. Detoxify your body. There are many different mild to extreme herbal cleanses and detox formulas. I'm not going to recommend anything particular since I don't want to sound like an advertisement.
I personally have cleared up my eczema on my eyelids (I've never had it anywhere else) with an herbal internal body cleanse (pill form) I got at my local health food store, along with moisturizing my eyelids with a grape seed oil and handmade moisturizing cream I get from a local herbalist. And more important than anything else make sure you're drinking enough water for your body. So many ailments begin with the body being chronically dehydrated. Everyone needs to drink a minimum 1/2 ounce of water for every pound of body weight.(I weigh 140 lbs and drink at least 70 oz per day) And when I'm working out excessively I add to that.
Unfortunately doctors do not know enough about nutrition and well care and only receive their continuing ed through the drug reps. All they know to do is to cover up symptoms not to cure. Until more people push for their doctors to do more integrated medicine nothing will change.
Good luck everyone.
Allison brown

Laveen, AZ

#62 Feb 13, 2009
Has anyone tried the burtsbees oil in a glass vial? I can't remember what it is called.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eczema Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ear Eczema HELP! (Dec '09) 6 hr tegnan 82
How I cured my eczema Wed SarahZ 1
Fast Cure for Serious Eczema (Dec '08) May 1 markeds 33
My eczema was cured- A story from a 14 year old... (Jun '06) Apr 27 Jasmine 257
Eczema here, there and everywhere! (Aug '10) Apr 24 markeds 22
The ocean did WONDERS for sons eczema!!! (Aug '08) Apr 22 Asitseems 43
Eczema Treatment (Aug '06) Apr 8 Ret Case 256
More from around the web