Extremely severe eczema

Posted in the Eczema Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anthony

Brampton, Canada

#1 May 12, 2008
Hi, I'm a 17 year old teenager with extremely sever eczema.

My eczema began to flare up ever since grade 9 and progressively, has gotten worse year by year. Now that i'm in grade 12 it has gotten extremely bad. My face flares up really badly, it turns really red and skin begins to flake off constantly. My chest and back are always red and also flake. My elbows and the back of my knees are also really leathery in texture since i constantly scratch them when i sleep. I can't help but scratch them when i sleep because i scratch unconsciously.

I really don't know what to do, i go to doctors and dermatologist and all they do is prescribe me antibiotics and steroids which work well, but are extremely bad in the long run, they thin down your skin and make them crack easier. I have also tried UV light treatment with very little results... i think i've hit a dead end... i really don't know what to do anymore.

Is there anything that can be done? Doctors say things will calm down around 25.. but that's 7 years from now. what can i do from now till then?
Michelle

Brooklyn, NY

#2 May 14, 2008
I really feel for you, I've had eczema most of my life and I'm 20 now. Doctors that tell you your eczema will calm down eventually are only trying to make you feel better... I too was fed up with being prescribed more and more antibiotics and cortisone creams which (I can promise you) will only make things worse down the line. I decided a almost two years ago to find an alternative and natural solution and it's been very hard. I tried homeopathic medicine and acupuncture, and I've heard they work for some, but I didn't make very much progress and flare-ups were unbearable. Every alternative-medicine doctor claimed that my failing health (I had a variety of health concerns in a addition to widespread eczema) was due to toxicity and having used so many cortisone cremes and antibiotics. Then I heard about Dr. Pagano and his book, "Healing Psoriasis". To put it short, he basically explains that skin disorders are due to too much acidity/toxins in the body and that the solution is eating very healthy alkaline-producing foods (fruits and vegetables). The diet is somewhat extreme but it's helped me a lot. I can't say my eczema has vanished, but it's almost 80% gone in comparison to how it was before. I would look into it, it helped me a lot. Let me know if you have any questions and goodluck!
Yvonne

Lithuania

#3 May 16, 2008
Anthony, hello. I recommend that you should try the herbal anti-eczema Cream and Spray combo from http://www.champori.com/ It is steroid-free and works better than anything else on my eczema: I haven't had a flare up in more than a year now after only few weeks of treatment. Tr- it, it comes with money back guarantee so if it doesn't work for you - it's free.
Yvonne
jason dl

Hove, UK

#4 May 16, 2008
I have had eczema my whole life and have tried everything possible. I have found that diet is a big factor. everyone is different though and all treatments are trial and error.

Try not eating:

eggs
oranges
fish
spices *** are very bad for you i.e curry

Do not wash with anything over the efected areas other than water. Wash with soap under your armpits etc but try your best to rerain from perumed body washes.

When coming out of the shower/bath dab yourself dry not rub.

Buy clothing that lets your skin breath. The same applys for bed linen.

The best moisturising cream to get is called unguemtum M. The best steroid cream to relieve the redness is elecon but use this sparingly.

Keeping the house at the right temperature is really annoying but plays a big part on your skin. Too much heat is no good for it and also the cold will make it crack. You have to try your best to keep it almost perfect.

Washing depends upon yourself too much and you can take the natural moisture out your skin and too much will also be bad for you.

These are the basic rules but you have to see what your own limitations are through trial and error.

The worst thing for you is alchahol. It causes redness and dehydrates your skin and can take days to repair.
good luck!!!
jason dl

Hove, UK

#5 May 16, 2008
stress is also very bad
jason dl

Hove, UK

#6 May 16, 2008
also drink lots and lots of water

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#7 May 16, 2008
Spices are not bad for you, that's the silliest thing I've heard in atleast a few days. Do you stop to think why Fish, Eggs, and Oranges might be bad for you? Because they're highly acidifying and cause even more bacteria to find its way into your blood, which ofcourse ends up where, if not the liver, kidneys?

The SKIN.

Ofcourse alcohol is one of the worst things for you, it's like drinking poison to the human body. And we have government stores down here to sell it to us, and tell us as long as we drink in moderation, we're 19+, we'll be "ok".

I can go on for hours but i'll end it here.

Pce.

Ken
Mike A

Gloucester, MA

#8 May 17, 2008
Actually, in traditional chinese medical theory, dry red conditions of the skin can be a type of "heat" presentation and ingesting things that cause internal heat (for example--spices) would be contraindicated in some people's cases.

Not to mention, there are plenty of individual allergies and sensitivities. What causes symptoms for one person may not in another. Eczema is not a simple thing. As Jason explained, it is trial and error and not one size fits all. Many of his suggestions were quite good--but if you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different ideas. I would not say fish is an issue. I would generally say the omega 3s in certain fish should be helpful to moderate a tendency towards inflammation.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#9 May 17, 2008
Mike A wrote:
Actually, in traditional chinese medical theory, dry red conditions of the skin can be a type of "heat" presentation and ingesting things that cause internal heat (for example--spices) would be contraindicated in some people's cases.
Not to mention, there are plenty of individual allergies and sensitivities. What causes symptoms for one person may not in another. Eczema is not a simple thing. As Jason explained, it is trial and error and not one size fits all. Many of his suggestions were quite good--but if you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different ideas. I would not say fish is an issue. I would generally say the omega 3s in certain fish should be helpful to moderate a tendency towards inflammation.
Allergies is a case of over-acidification of the blood causing it to be too sensitive, because our bodies are meant to be ALKALINE. You're right, you ask 10 people something and you'll get 10 different answers.

This is because it "feels" like it's about trial and error, when infact it's not. People believe it's about trial and error because all they're doing is throwing lotions, ointments, steroid drugs on there skin etc.

When the actual cause is what they eat/drink. Some people cut out 1, 2, 3, 4, differents foods, the problem is that's all they do. Like I told someone else in another topic, you don't become a professional sports player or a professional at something, or even become famous by practicing 30 minutes a day.

No, you become very good at something, or even famous by dedicating your life to it, hence you can't cut out 2 or 3 kinds of food, you have to cut out everything you don't need, and include only the things you do need. If you don't do that you'll always be sick. Your body can repair itself, but only if you let it.

And those 10 people with 10 different ideas... That's fine, I can treat 10, 100, 1000, 10 000, 100 000, 1 000 000 + people and I will get the exact same results all the time. Feel free to let people get different ideas, and waste time on trial and error.

I learned a long time ago if you're gonna do it, do it once and do it right.
mommyto3

Portland, OR

#10 May 19, 2008
My 6 month old daughter was covered in eczema by the time she was 3 months old and nothing we tried seemed to help at all. We came upon these hazelwood necklaces that apparently have the natural property of absorbing the body's excess acidity. My friend told me it radically helped her baby's acid reflux to the point where she was able to take him off his Zantac, so we decided to give it a try. Within 2 weeks of my little one wearing the necklace, her eczema had pretty much completely gone away! And it has stayed away since then. The crazy part: When I take off her necklace or if it stops working (the wood can only absorb so much acid before it needs to be replaced) her eczema comes right back! so, needless to say, we are sold!
I actually decided to start selling these necklaces myself because I am such a firm believer and I hope to help other people find similar relief. I know of many other people for whom it has helped for all kinds of symptoms like acid reflux, heartburn, even acne and certain types of headaches & migraines. All these symptoms are related to too much acidity in the body.
We have models for babies, children, & adults.
They are handmade from organic hazelwood.
If you would like more info, go to

www.hazelaid.com

Hope this can help!
Anthony

Brampton, Canada

#11 May 25, 2008
Hey guys thanks a lot, im gonna try some of those more natural cremes u guys recommended, but yea its actually true that spices due makes things worse. And alcohol is totally out of the question, it's extremely bad and causes my eczema to flare up yet alone im also alergic to alcohol (I know it's really weird..) but thanks, im trying some special bath oil which im supposed to bathe in 3 times a day, its called oilatum? not sure if it's any good but i'll give it a try. I'll keep my progress updated.. since i need to go to university soon, and living in residence might makes things worse...
Robert

Burbank, CA

#12 Jun 25, 2008
I wish you well Anthony. I'm in the same boat as you (and many others on this forum), and I'm also looking into different things to cure my severe eczema. I'm going to try to take up the Alkaline diet. If it goes well, I will look for this thread again and update.

-Rob
Elena

Tadworth, UK

#13 Jun 27, 2008
Hey guys, I found a really good organic solution to my son's eczema. I use a cream called Aloe & Marigold by a brand called KuK Organics. It's really good and helped clear his rash and give him smooth skin. You could try it.
amb-nyc

South Ozone Park, NY

#14 Jul 2, 2008
Hi. I am just joining, but, I can tell all of you one thing that I know for sure. My Doctor (Derm) is alway, always in NY Mag Best Doc issue (he has a 6 month wait list), he does not take insurance, and I am willing to share my story with anyone sincere. I just hope I can spare someone else that suffers like I do the pain, and the financial cost. My name is Anne-Marie, I have been through it all.

I will answer any sincere reply and offer any help or insight that I can. For me, it is day by day ... I do okay some days. I DO wear make up, not every day, but some days. Some days, I feel beautiful.
atlantansickofra cism

Boynton Beach, FL

#15 Jul 4, 2008
amb-nyc wrote:
Hi. I am just joining, but, I can tell all of you one thing that I know for sure. My Doctor (Derm) is alway, always in NY Mag Best Doc issue (he has a 6 month wait list), he does not take insurance, and I am willing to share my story with anyone sincere. I just hope I can spare someone else that suffers like I do the pain, and the financial cost. My name is Anne-Marie, I have been through it all.
I will answer any sincere reply and offer any help or insight that I can. For me, it is day by day ... I do okay some days. I DO wear make up, not every day, but some days. Some days, I feel beautiful.
So what did he advise you?
Kristen

Columbus, OH

#16 Jul 8, 2008
Hi, all. Listen, I bought Champori cream for eczema a week ago and ... after 6 days my hands and face are CLEAR!! What a blessing!!! Whoo-hoo!!
nic

Kingston, Jamaica

#17 Jul 8, 2008
my son has the eczema on him since he was a month. the doctors have given me creams and onitment and nothing helps. he's ped.says that there is no cure for it u just have try thing until u find something that works. i have yet to find it. it hurts seeing him like that.he rub his face at time till it bleeds. any advise
Kristen

Vidor, TX

#18 Jul 9, 2008
Nic, hello. Why don't you try champori cream for eczema from http://www.champori.com/ It works like a Miracle for me..
Kristen..
nic

Kingston, Jamaica

#19 Jul 9, 2008
kristen is it safe my son is just 7mths and he has very thin skin
amb-nyc

South Ozone Park, NY

#20 Jul 9, 2008
atlantansickofracism wrote:
<quoted text>
So what did he advise you?
Well, basically, I have been through all of the various tests, biopsy, patch testing (twice), even misdiagnosed with Lupus (not this doctor I mention, the one before him)... and I went through Photo-Therapy for seven month, three times a week. All of this at an out of pocket expense of about seven grand for 2007. I wish I could say that it helped. I did not. I have some post here, in the 'eczema on eyelids' section that I have written a few things there... I will copy that stuff here if I can do that. I am new here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eczema Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eczema and birth control (Mar '12) Oct 15 Finally found rel... 17
Fast Cure for Serious Eczema (Dec '08) Oct 6 Ex-exzema 37
Eczema and Sex - Adults only please! (Apr '11) Oct 6 Ex-exzema 6
Eczema is practicably gone! Curel itch defense ... (Jan '11) Sep 23 Tara 3
Help-new Sep '17 PMatt 2
A mom that is at her wits end.... Toddler with ... Sep '17 PMatt 2
Adult Eczema Rubbing Alcohol Cure (Feb '17) Sep '17 PMatt 5
More from around the web