Carolyn

Riverview, FL

#1 Jun 10, 2012
Before we get to the point where we can eat more nourishing foods, what do we do about getting nourishment? Are vitamin pills a no no? I feel so weak, I can't do anything surviving on crackers and toast....

And sorry for all the entries but I it's easier to ask separately than try to put it all in one post & then stuff gets missed.
Mary

United States

#2 Jun 10, 2012
I drank a lot of v8 fusion - the clear ones. Some people use ensure but you need to watch the fiber count. If you can tolerate lactose, yogurt and kefir are good. Yogurt smoothies with bananas and canned or stewed and strained fruits (not plums or apricots). I took large doses of vitamin c and zinc. Somewhere I heard not to supplement with vitamins b or d until the abdominal issues clear up. Ditto calcium. Ask your doc for a b12 shot - they are awesome and will make you feel better. I made chicken soup with very well cooked carrots and potatoes. Spinach is supposed to be soothing to the stomach - cook or steam it first to kill any bacteria and then put it through a juicer or strainer. It's nice mixed with pear juice. (really). Stick with really small portions. Oh yeah - I was able to do smooth peanut butter and ritz crackers. Muffins made from applesause. Egg and cheese omelets and pancakes. Imwas able to eat cooked blueberries as I was beginning to recover as well. Unlike many people, I found fish or seafood of any kind to be very irritating. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Since: Sep 12

Pompano Beach, FL

#3 Sep 23, 2012
Carolyn, have you made some progress with health and vitamins? I can offer guidance if you still need some clarity. Health is my passion!
Carolyn wrote:
Before we get to the point where we can eat more nourishing foods, what do we do about getting nourishment? Are vitamin pills a no no? I feel so weak, I can't do anything surviving on crackers and toast....
And sorry for all the entries but I it's easier to ask separately than try to put it all in one post & then stuff gets missed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alcohol 10 hr jacky blevins 8
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) 12 hr Cinzia 4,482
Laziness and having the I don't wanna's 14 hr sherie 1
No energy 14 hr Clarachough 5
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) 16 hr Sheri E 2,175
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) 19 hr Clarachough 841
Question about "foods that cause problems" Sep 29 getting better 3

Diverticulitis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE