Managing bouts of diviticulits, do I really need surgery?

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of94
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Joe C

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

exercize vigorously almost daily
good fiber consumption but do like to indulge from time to time

several bouts a year, not very painful, go clear for a few days which gets me back to normal.

GP Doctor automatically recommended surgery because of recurring bouts, but trying to avoid at all costs.

Surgeons recommended colonospecpy, but didn't suggest immediate surgery and told me to go on my special Maui trip in Feb.

Just had another small bout, again nothing to bad, felt better after a few days, didn't miss a beat with work or exercize.

Never had blood or abyst on CTs.

Is it a forgone conclusion that i need surgery, or do some people manage with somewhat mild, yet annual bouts of diveritcultis?

Ralph

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2007

several bouts a year, not very painful, go clear for a few days which gets me back to normal.
GP Doctor automatically recommended surgery because of recurring bouts, but trying to avoid at all costs.
Surgeons recommended colonospecpy, but didn't suggest immediate surgery and told me to go on my special Maui trip in Feb.
Just had another small bout, again nothing to bad, felt better after a few days, didn't miss a beat with work or exercize.
Is it a forgone conclusion that i need surgery, or do some people manage with somewhat mild, yet annual bouts of diveritcultis?
hi joe ... i would not recpmmend surgery at this point ... i'm 54, good shape, getting the surgery next week. i'm still not 1000 percent for iot for me .... but i suffered 4 bad bouts over the past 6 months, wher i needed antibiotics and the pain had me doubled up, where i could hardly walk. i would suggest a colonoskpy, nad start investigating surgerns and hospitals in case your symptoms get really worse .... good luck
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2007

I've only had 1 bout and my GI doctor said if I ever have another one it's surgery time. The diverticulosis will never get better or go away. You can live with it, but it's a life of fear. He said about 5% of people have the possibility of getting perinitious which can be really bad and pobably mean a bag. I will welcome surgery if I ever get another bout.
Biker

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2007

Joe C wrote:
Bob, I would recommend that you become a "student" of Diverticulitis. Learn and read all you can about it. I chose surgery after my second bout, which was a mild attack. I could only reflect upon my father having a stoma (bag) after a perforation with an ultimate resection at about my age. I did not want to go through what he did. So, listen to your body, as they say, and get the opinion of others. Surgery is not easy but in my situation, I have no regrets. Also, remember that many people are diagnosed with Diver after an initial attack and it is possible that years could go by before another attack, if it even happens again. Stay calm and don't worry.
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2007

Biker wrote:
<quoted text>Bob, I would recommend that you become a "student" of Diverticulitis. Learn and read all you can about it. I chose surgery after my second bout, which was a mild attack. I could only reflect upon my father having a stoma (bag) after a perforation with an ultimate resection at about my age. I did not want to go through what he did. So, listen to your body, as they say, and get the opinion of others. Surgery is not easy but in my situation, I have no regrets. Also, remember that many people are diagnosed with Diver after an initial attack and it is possible that years could go by before another attack, if it even happens again. Stay calm and don't worry.
I've been very studious on this subject. The pain made me a studious person! I know a couple people who have dealt with this for years. One gal has had it for 10 years now and has an attack every year or so. She refuses surgery. Another gal I know had the disease for many years and refused surgery till she had a bout/infection that almost killed her at 42 years old. She had 18" removed and is a happy camper now. I have no problem with the idea of surgery at all. I know I have the best Gastro doctor in the area and trust his advice. It's been almost 2 months since my last (and only) attack and I feel pretty much normal now. I eat small meals and watch what I eat. I am on hight fiber now, worked up slowly. A bag is not my style. I am in fear of it, but not so scared I am freaking out.
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2007

BTW, My diver is in a small area right now. According to the gastro guy he'd only have to take 4-8 inches out. After he scopes me next week he'll know for sure.
dcholate

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2007

Hi,This is really nice talking to people with Diverticulitis.I was diagnoised in 2000 finally had surgery ayear ago.My surgent had to open me up because I had chronic inflammation along with chronic diverticulitis that never heals.I had 10 diverticula.My doctors advice before surgery was its probably ibs,for 5 yrs.I was in the emergency room more then I can count.The last bout the er doctor recommened surgery.Thank god.Find a good doctor who you can trust and know what they are doing.Have surgery as soon as you can.Well sence my surgery after six months ago I had another attache and one more after that.I,m scared I might have to wear a bag.Good luck to everyone who is dealing with this dee
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2007

Bob wrote:
BTW, My diver is in a small area right now. According to the gastro guy he'd only have to take 4-8 inches out. After he scopes me next week he'll know for sure.
Well, I had my scope last week and it looks worse than we though. The area the attack was in 3 months ago is scarred and restricted and the doc said that will be a constant source of problems. He said about 12" will need to come out. bob
Joe C

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2008

So here I am the person that originally made this post. I've finally decided on and scheduled the surgery for Feb 27. Doctors are telling me looks very routine, lap surgery looks 90% doable. I waited for a doctor that apparently does a higher rate of the lap surgery, so hopefully that plays out to be true.
I'm still so uncertain about the surgery. If I really led a super mild life style I probably could beat this without surgery, but that would be boring. I work out hard because I like to enjoy life. I'm just concerned that I'll ahve the surgery and it will just led to more or the same problems than I have now. Well I guess I'll see first hand in a few weeks.
Also can anyone tell me how much the overall procure costs, just ballplay? I will be paying 10%, and i put some money in my Flex spending, but now I'm wondering if I put enough. Id this surgery $20K, 30K,$40K,$50K or more.
Regards.
Joe
mike

Senatobia, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

Cost-depends on hospital-figure for typical 4 nights in hospital and surgery- 15-20K doc-3-4K
Steve

Montezuma, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

6 days in the hospital $25,000. Doctor's bill $8500 ( also took out my appendix so I guess I got billed for that to.) Total out of pocket $120.00. I love my insurance company.
Toria

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

My hospital bill for just an attack no surgery was thirty seven thousand dollars for three days.
Angie

Kronbuhl Bei Sankt Gallen, Switzerland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2008

Hallo Joe C,

it seems that the more bouts you have the more "thin" (that is not the medical term, it is how I understood it from my doctor) your intestine becomes.
Plus if you are under 50-55 years old and have had two or three bouts, the probability is big that you will continue having them and with this increases the probability of having to have an emergency operation. These two things (emergency operation and/or thinning of the intestine) increase the probability of an open belly operation and a colostomy. Unfortunately the end of diverticulitis is always surgery, there is no other way to cure/avoid it.
So go ahead and have the OP, I have had it in January and although I still have health problems, they are not related to the OP. I know many people who went ahead and are very happy with their decision.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you on the 27th

Angie
Jim- Australia

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2008

Hi. New to this forum and glad I found it. Diagnosed eith DD in 2000. Has anyone ever tried the cures (that you have to pay for)that one can google up?? There are so many.Also has anyone been told by their doctor to take a laxative like Normacol or Movicol each day for the rest of their life like I have?
Karen-NY

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2008

I have had 5 bouts (I am 50) in 2 years. Only the first landed me in the hospital for a 5 day IV antibiotic course. The other 4 bouts were mild compared to the first, I think because I am so attentive to the symptoms. I have had 2 colonoscopies each showing the healed(ing) infected diverticuli. The same one inflamed 2 times that I know of. I definately do not want the surgery (my diet is very good) but the risk of perforation multiplies each bout due to the damege to the intestine wall at the site of the inflamed diverticuli. Fiber was never and issue and there is nothing I can change in my diet that will help. I suspect 1 more good bout they will push for resection.
Joe C

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2008

Karen-NY wrote:
I have had 5 bouts (I am 50) in 2 years. Only the first landed me in the hospital for a 5 day IV antibiotic course. The other 4 bouts were mild compared to the first, I think because I am so attentive to the symptoms. I have had 2 colonoscopies each showing the healed(ing) infected diverticuli. The same one inflamed 2 times that I know of. I definately do not want the surgery (my diet is very good) but the risk of perforation multiplies each bout due to the damege to the intestine wall at the site of the inflamed diverticuli. Fiber was never and issue and there is nothing I can change in my diet that will help. I suspect 1 more good bout they will push for resection.
Hi Karen,
I'm still not 100% healthy after my lap surgery 2/27, but if everything continues my decision to have the surgery really improved my quality of live tremendously. I'm still pretty sore, but my colon is working great.

If I knew you could definitely get the lap surgery, I would tell you to strongly consider, because from what is obvious the recovery is night and day with the open surgery. Surgery sounds ilke a real posibility, especially if you are saying your diet is good. That means you're situation is unpredictable, and therefore dangerous, because perforation is scary.

I see you are in NY, if you need a surgeon, I had the best who is almost a gaurantee to do the Lap surgery. He's out on Long Island, Wintrop Hospital, in Mineloa. Let me know.
Janet

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2009

I see many here are (were) debating the surgery route. I just wanted to share my experience with this.

I had five serious bouts of diverticulitis over the course of an 9 year period (age 37-44). I had surgery recommended over and over. Finally, I went through with it because 1) a colonscopy showed severe scarring and constriction 2) my surgeon (who has a great reputation) assured me that I wouldn't have a recurrence (he had a very convincing explanation for this).

Well, I had the surgery ... had 12+" of colon removed and was fine ... for almost exactly 1 year, when I had a recurrence. Just as bad, if not worse than before (in hospital for 3 days, 4 days of recovery at home).

Me GI guys are not recommending more surgery, and in fact, have admitted they're basically clueless. So, I've taken matters into my own hands, watching what I eat, small meals, reducing stress, etc.
Linda V

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2010

I had my second attack in 22 months. Both would be considered mild based on what I have been reading. I have been eating a better high fiber diet, and was told to stay away from any nuts or seeds. Well, this past week, I went to a BBQ and the hostess didn't feed us till 10:00pm So I reached for the almonds (2 handfuls) by Monday I wasn't feeling well, and then went to the Drs. on Tues. He put me on Cipro because I was showing a slight fever. I even hate to take the antibiotic, and really don't want surgery. Made an appointment with the gastro docs and am expecting a colonoscopy with in two months.(Internist says to heal before the colonoscopy) My question is do nuts really raise this monsters head? or is this a coincidence? some reading materials say stay away, and others say makes no difference.
Joy

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2010

Hi Linda, there are differing opinions on this. My very first attack was after I had been on a business trip and was eating peanuts at the bar every day after the meetings so I believe that they did triger the attack in my case because i didn't normally eat nuts! On the other hand I think you can have attacks even when you eat all the "right" things too! I am 20 months post surgery and I still avoid nuts and seeds and try to chew my food very thouroughly. I know that a lot of people say eating popcorn has triggered attacks too. I think you have to decide for yourself if you think it is a coincidence depending on your usual eating habits! All the Best and hope you feel better soon, Joy
kl483mccarthy

Williamson, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2010

Linda V wrote:
I had my second attack in 22 months. Both would be considered mild based on what I have been reading. I have been eating a better high fiber diet, and was told to stay away from any nuts or seeds. Well, this past week, I went to a BBQ and the hostess didn't feed us till 10:00pm So I reached for the almonds (2 handfuls) by Monday I wasn't feeling well, and then went to the Drs. on Tues. He put me on Cipro because I was showing a slight fever. I even hate to take the antibiotic, and really don't want surgery. Made an appointment with the gastro docs and am expecting a colonoscopy with in two months.(Internist says to heal before the colonoscopy) My question is do nuts really raise this monsters head? or is this a coincidence? some reading materials say stay away, and others say makes no difference.
My advise is stay away from seeds, nuts, and popcorn! I was told it was old wives tales and the only thing there was any medical evidence of bringing it on was popcorn...stay away from that too. I ate anything I wanted based on what the doctor told me. I just avoided popcorn and now six months later I am having it again. There has to be a way to avoid these episodes. I am determined to control it with my diet. I had been eating alot of the things we are told to avoid such as corn, nuts, and foods with seeds before this episode. I do not want the surgery and will do everything I can to avoid it. I will be strict on my diet and hope that will prevent any further episodes. I am kind of discouraged though by all the negative posts I am reading...I wish someone had a good story to tell! Well, if I were you I would listen to all the warnings of foods to avoid and be very strict about it and hopefully we can control this condition....Good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of94
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

30 Users are viewing the Diverticulitis Forum right now

Search the Diverticulitis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) 1 hr Betsy 668
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) 9 hr Robin 1,886
What to expect 9 hr Jake 10
Looking for a doctor 11 hr Jake 4
Symptoms have returned after colon resection. 16 hr Ron 25
Diverticulitis 21 hr Kellie J 3
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) 21 hr Cinzia 4,312
•••
•••