Can stress cause diverticulitis ?

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 10

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Mar 13, 2010
I am on this forum for my wonderful mother who is 77yrs old and has probably had this as long as I can remeber but was just recently dx. She has had 2 flare ups in the last 2 months that have landed her in the hospital. She is a very high anxiety person but will not seek medication for this. I think this would help alot with the diverticulitis but Im not sure that stress has anything to do with it. Would love some comments or suggestions.
Thanks
Angela

United States

#2 Mar 19, 2010
I think it can make it flare up. Does it cause it no I think you get it from heredatiy(sp). There really is no meds for it. Just anitbodies when you get fever and a infection. Help her learn to eat small amounts of food. I cut out all red meat that has helped me ALOT. She may not be as anxiety as you think. She may just work different then you do. People think I stress all the time. I am not I just talk alot about what I am thinking about. To others they think I am stressing about it. I am not just talking. If you do think she is stressing talk to her about it. See if there is anything you can do to lessen her worries about where is bothering her. Good luck !!! GOd Bless !!!
Joy

Fremont, CA

#3 Mar 19, 2010
GoldenYears_Ha wrote:
I am on this forum for my wonderful mother who is 77yrs old and has probably had this as long as I can remeber but was just recently dx. She has had 2 flare ups in the last 2 months that have landed her in the hospital. She is a very high anxiety person but will not seek medication for this. I think this would help alot with the diverticulitis but Im not sure that stress has anything to do with it. Would love some comments or suggestions.
Thanks
Hi Golden Years, it is widely believed that stress can weaken your immune system so it could certainly make your Mum more vulnerable to flareups. However, I think if you ca help her to change her diet, there are many posts on this forum about what helps both immediately following a flareup (clear liquids), for the next month or two after (low residue diet) and then slowly increasing fibre intake! Small portions and lots of water :-) I have my 87 year old Mum living with me and my family and as she has aged her anxiety levels about the smallest things have increased. I think ti is part of the aging process as well as the fact that she suffers with Parkinsons disease. I have not come across a way tp help her be less anxious... she says she doesn't know why she feels that way, she just does :-( I hope your Mum recovers soon. If shw doesn't want medication for anxiety then it will probably put more stress on her if you try to push the issue so perhps just being supportive like Angela is suggesting would be the best! Do read some of the posts on here, there is a ton of good informaiton from people that have been there! Joy
shaun

Coleraine, UK

#4 Mar 16, 2011
stress and lack of fibre in diet are the two main factors.
Gillian

Greenock, UK

#5 Mar 17, 2011
Joy, I think a lot of the stress that caused my flare-ups were caused by looking after my 79 year old disabled father (can't walk) who has Parkinsons and his refusal to go into a home or accept outside agency care. He has recently had to go into a nursing home because it became impossible for him to live in his own home anymore as he now needs medical assistance with his breathing and swallowing.
It is terrible for me to admit this -but I actually feel better than I have done since my mum died 6 years ago, leaving his care in my hands. Whatever I did for him was never enough - I can agree with this as he really needed someone there 24 hours a day - but he refused to give up his home and live with us. He was very bad tempered and domineering so the rest of my family(my husband and kids)wouldn't help. I am now relatively stress free and can see that I should have put my foot down years ago with him for the sake of my own health.
Little Leacha

Jacksonville, FL

#6 Mar 21, 2011
My two worst flareups have been stress-driven, not food-driven. For me, I must internalize my stress, because I do not feel stressed (maybe your mom is the same way). But when my body starts to revolt, and I stop and think of what I might have just gone through, I realize I was under severe stress at the time. When I finally figured this out, I made myself start to be more aware of any stressful situation I am in. When I know I am in a sitaution, I take a very low dose Xanax which seems to calm me enought that I don't wind up in an attack.
tpt

Salisbury, UK

#7 Apr 2, 2011
:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhLtyy lgCTY
david

Grapevine, TX

#8 Oct 16, 2012
Definitely stress related......when im alone away from stress i dont have flare ups hardly ever.when im around stress,i am in a constant flare up.and i drink beer to feel better.probably not a good thing, but it helps that.
dave

Romania

#9 Nov 21, 2012
Anyone who for one minute thinks that stress is not a major factor in flare ups is way off base. I watch my diet, take fiber and every flare up that I have had can be directly related to stress...am going through one right now and I can pinpoint it to the situation that caused it...stay calm!
dave

Romania

#10 Nov 21, 2012
I am a firm believer that stress is a major factor in flare ups! I am new at diver--only been suffering a year, but every single one has been stress related! I am in the middle of a flare up right now and can pinpoint it to a stressful event...happy thanksgiving 2012
ann quinn phyfer

Dallas, TX

#11 Nov 22, 2012
It is very helpful to know that others have attacks of diverticulitis that they attribute to stress. I agree that the person experiencing anxiety doesn't always call it that or even admit that it's there. Observers are the best source of information about anxiety usually.

Since: Nov 12

Townsend, GA

#12 Nov 27, 2012
Yes, for me it seems as though every time I have a flare up its when I have been extremely stressed out!!!!
dmlucky

Melbourne, Australia

#13 Dec 4, 2012
When Im stressed and anxious I dont drink water. I forget. I also find I am not as careful about my diet or to take my probiotics which really help. For example I might eat some nuts that others are eating without thinking. In stressful periods meals are less planned and its this type of eating that sends me off. Or I buy the wrong bread eg with seeds - a real no no and slow burn to start an attack. They will start an irritation that compounds. It has taken me years to see this pattern but even now when Im stressed over a period not just briefly, the basic preventative seem to go out the window. Another thing Im just beginning to notice is when Im starting an attack (grumbling) I dont notice it but it feels like anxiety - I think that starts a feedback loop.
Solar Days

Thousand Palms, CA

#14 Jan 17, 2013
I firmly believe my diverticulosis was caused by stress. I am seeking scholarly articles or physicians reports that support this.
Anyone have any ideas? You help would be greatly aprreciated.
Dora Smith

Mcallen, TX

#15 Feb 4, 2013
One of the popular books on diverticulitis treats the condition as practically teh product of a neurotic personality. Brother! Some ideas never die.

The fact is, stress can contribute to any infection and any inflammatory condition.

In fact, the most common psychosomatic ailment known to man is the common cold.

I dare some of these critters to propose that colds aren't real!
IOWA BANKER

Radcliffe, IA

#16 Mar 29, 2013
Solar Days wrote:
I firmly believe my diverticulosis was caused by stress. I am seeking scholarly articles or physicians reports that support this.
Anyone have any ideas? You help would be greatly aprreciated.
I have had three episodes in the last 2 months--the Dr continues to run tests, antiobiotics and pain pills, but I don't get much response to questions of stress related attacks. I have been very stressed recently and I am so happy to read this forum! I have been drinking alot of water, I don't drink alcohol, and being careful about my food intake, then whamoo--another attack, back to the dr and more medication. I appreciate knowing that others are relating their attacks with stressful situations and lifestyles. I will continue to read and learn from your advice.
randi

Fort Worth, TX

#17 Mar 29, 2013
how can you have the surgery if you are constantly under stress? i am a class type "a" and worry if the sun will come up tomorrow. having the surgery would probably send me into a tailspin worrying about it, the side effects, the recovery.

and oh yes, no support at home AT ALL. so i owuld be totally on my own, both in hospital and then at home later. trying to take care of myself after the surgery terrifies me.

that and a bad marriage.

so taking it out will not relieve my personal situation and then where will i be? sure, i can change diet, loose weight, yada, yada yada but it won't help.

and please don't say leave. there are extenuating circumstances and leaving just isn't an option.

has anybody who lives alone had the surgery and been through it without support?
AnnV

Brisbane, Australia

#18 Jun 1, 2013
I have had 2 recent flare ups and sure they are related to two distinct anxiety situations. My diet is A1 and no alcohol at all. As soon as anxiety raises its head about situations I have no control over and which impinge upon me, the bloating and discomfort appear quickly followed by the pain. So, yes, I am a firm believer that anxiety is a cause of diventiculitis. Very difficult to alter ones brain!
Brian

Berkeley Springs, WV

#19 Jun 2, 2013
I have i high stress job, took it on 3 years ago. I am a basically healty 37 y/o man. Never had any health issues my entire life till 3 weeks ago. Had a very stressful encounter with some coworkers i manage. Within minutes of this encounter i started having pain in my abdomen. I thought it was food or something, by the end of the day i was doubled over in pain. 6am the next morning in the ER diagnosed with DX. I am CONVINVCED THE STRESS IS A MAJOR FACTOR.
carrie

United States

#20 Jun 8, 2013
I had my second attack; this one landed me in hospital with threat of surgery and a.resulting colostomy bag. I am 100% convinced this is stress. I follow my diet to a tee and still had a bad flare. Doctor is saying I have to have surgery or wait for it to ne a crisis again. I am really working on not letting my job ruin me by working on my stress.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do i get a grip and stop worrying? (Apr '16) Fri mark5111 12
sigmoid resection surgery fears Fri Cynthia 6
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Jan 19 Deb 1,511
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Jan 19 Legalbrat71 4,708
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Jan 16 Anonymous 2,638
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Jan 15 Robbin 81
Diverticulitis and Reasonable Accomodation Jan 13 schultek 2
More from around the web