Gary

Hartford, CT

#949 Jul 27, 2010
Developed what I thought was gas last monday and could not make a BM (urination hurt too). by Tuesday afternoon was home from work and by Wednesday morning could take the pain, fever, chills no more. I went to the doc and he did white blood count which came back at 27,000. He said something was very wrong and it was either apendicitis or diverticulitis. CT scan later that afternoon showed diverticulitis. On flagyl and cipro now; it is now 6 days and cannot eat anything or it becomes a painful experience with intense diarhea. the only thing that doesnt hurt is liquid. My Dad had resection for same thing last year (24 inches) and is doing well.
Sodagar

Oakton, VA

#950 Jul 30, 2010
natalie wrote:
<quoted text>
Another great story... I remember you ... your posts ... I'm very happy you feel safe again. I know I do too and it's great to hear about the positive outcomes that used to be so scared and now have the rest of their lives before them ... enjoy
Thanks Natalie. Thanks for your support during my ordeal.
Ray

Glendora, CA

#951 Jul 31, 2010
Was diagnosed with diverticulosis a little over a year ago when I experienced mild LLQ pain. Though there was no inflammation, my doc at the time prescribed Cipro and I took it as directed. I changed my whole eating habits and incorporated vegetables into my diet for every meal.

I still experienced colicky pain - relieved by bowel movements or gas - whenever I would eat offending foods and learned to eliminate those. Became depressed and was put on Zoloft. It helped a lot - I began to work out again, gained 10 lbs., and was feeling healthy as ever.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. Abdominal pain in my right side, moved to my left, very tender - suspected diverticulitis. The ER doc at a hospital nearby (not where I usually go) prescribed Cipro and Flagyll.

I've been on Cipro and Flagyll for 5 days, but am still experiencing pain in the LLQ, plus nausea, and running a temp that waxes and wanes at around 98.9-99.5. I've lost 8 lbs. in the last 3 weeks.

Since there is no improvement with antibiotics, should I go back to the ER? I'm getting worried. I will be traveling within the next few days to Germany and don't want to go in the antibiotics are not apparently working.

I'm a 26 year old veteran. Anyone with experience care to offer advice?
Dawn

Long Valley, NJ

#952 Aug 2, 2010
I was diagnosed this past friday. I am on flagyl and levoquin. The meds are making me feel worse and having side effects that cause diarhia are just about as bad as the original symtoms. I am so tired and worn out. I am still having a lot of pain. The pain is on the left side, which I have read is common. My question is does the pain get worse in the back area more than the front area? Also anyone that has had this problem, Is a side effect of the med combo to be overly emotional normal, or is it just me being worried?
Tracy

Jackson, MS

#953 Aug 2, 2010
Dawn wrote:
I was diagnosed this past friday. I am on flagyl and levoquin. The meds are making me feel worse and having side effects that cause diarhia are just about as bad as the original symtoms. I am so tired and worn out. I am still having a lot of pain. The pain is on the left side, which I have read is common. My question is does the pain get worse in the back area more than the front area? Also anyone that has had this problem, Is a side effect of the med combo to be overly emotional normal, or is it just me being worried?
Hi Dawn.. The Flagyl makes you feel horrible!!!. You can see most people post on here how terrible it makes them feel. I honestly think it made me feel worse than the infection. Diverticulitis is very painful and makes you feel just awful. Add the meds to that and its a double whammy. Its hard not to worry when you feel so bad. Hang in there and take all of your med to make sure all the infection is gone. If the side effects are too bad for you, ask your doc if he can switch you to something else. There are other meds. I am now 10 weeks post op form re-section and had numerous infections prior so I understand you worry. Diverticulitis take a while to get over. DONT push yourself. Take care!:)
Dawn

Long Valley, NJ

#954 Aug 2, 2010
Thank you Tracy. How often is surgery required for this illness. The ER doc told me to go to a GI and schedule a colonoscopy.I have no idea what to excpect with this. I feel horrible and am missing work. I dont know how long I am going to feel miserable.I have read a lot of the posts on this site and have gotten some answers, but at the same time some more questions.I am scared of the whole surgery idea. I am going to continue with these meds for a while longer, and if I cant take it anymore will call the dr and change them. thanks again.
Tracy wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Dawn.. The Flagyl makes you feel horrible!!!. You can see most people post on here how terrible it makes them feel. I honestly think it made me feel worse than the infection. Diverticulitis is very painful and makes you feel just awful. Add the meds to that and its a double whammy. Its hard not to worry when you feel so bad. Hang in there and take all of your med to make sure all the infection is gone. If the side effects are too bad for you, ask your doc if he can switch you to something else. There are other meds. I am now 10 weeks post op form re-section and had numerous infections prior so I understand you worry. Diverticulitis take a while to get over. DONT push yourself. Take care!:)
Tracy

Jackson, MS

#955 Aug 3, 2010
Dawn wrote:
Thank you Tracy. How often is surgery required for this illness. The ER doc told me to go to a GI and schedule a colonoscopy.I have no idea what to excpect with this. I feel horrible and am missing work. I dont know how long I am going to feel miserable.I have read a lot of the posts on this site and have gotten some answers, but at the same time some more questions.I am scared of the whole surgery idea. I am going to continue with these meds for a while longer, and if I cant take it anymore will call the dr and change them. thanks again. <quoted text>
Hi Dawn. It depends on how many attacks, the severity of the attacks, and how close they come together. You really should do as the ER doc advises. They really cannot get a good idea of the degree of diverticulosis you have until you have a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy is not bad at all. The med the give you for the colonoscopy you sleep through. The only bad part is the prep. Its just not pleasant taking the stuff that makes you "go" to clean you out before the colonoscopy. What you dont want to happen is have a severe infection and it rupture or develope fissures. The only way to know about your condition completely is the colonoscopy. If at some point you do require surgery, it can be done laparoscopically. I am 11 weeks post op today and can honestly say it was not bad at all. I was terrified before hand and made it out to be much worse than it was. I had my surgery on Tuesday and went home on Saturday morning. The pain was minimal. The worst part of the surgery for me is you really do feel very tired afterward. My surgeon told me to give myself 6 months to feel back to myself. I too had missed LOTS of work before my surgery. I have no regrets. Dont be afraid of the colonoscopy. It really is the best way for them to tell the degree of your disease. If I can answer anything else for you, please feel free to ask. I got great help from Joy and Natalie on this site and they kept me positive. Take care and I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted :)
jackb

United States

#956 Aug 5, 2010
John wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm 43 and have had diverticulitis for about 4 years, with once or twice yearly attacks that aren't too bad. My recent one though has added a new element. Now, I'm getting spasms of pain in my intenstinal area centered just below my stomach. I also have the usual lower left pain. I'm on cipro and flagyl, though they are working very slowly.
How common are these painful muscle spasms? I thought I had licked this round after 5-6 days, but it came back last night. If it is still here in two days, it will be a two week long episode!!
Regards,
John
In addition to the flagyl and the cipro, my doctor prescribes Bentyl, which is an anti-spasmodic. It is to be taken with meals and before bed for prevention of cramping. You might ask your doctor about it.
piro

Angelica, NY

#957 Aug 7, 2010
I have a few questions. Based on what I've read in this forum, I may or may not actually be having full on diverticulitis attacks.

The first was in late 2008. Really bad left side pain over 2-3 days. So bad the 2nd day that I just laid in bed and waited to die. Along with that really ad chills. I didn't have a thermometer so I can't confirm for sure a fever, but I was so chilled by teeth were chattering and I was covered in sweat, so I assume I had a dangerously high fever.

Here's the thing that doesn't make sense. That all went away by the 3rd day. From what I've read here, it seems like, once you have a fever, then you have s serious infection and it will not just "go away" on its own.

Since then I had another possible attack about a year later. This one only laste about 2 days and no chills. The pain was also less intense but was in the exact same spot.

Now, about 10 months after that I'm in the midst of a possible third attack. This time the pain was worse than the 2nd attack, but not so bad that I doubled over. I had a chill last night and another in the early afternoon (sweating all over my pillow). Since that broke no more fever (its been about 6 hours) and the pain is subsiding.

Is it at all usual for an attack with fever to come and go on its own? Or is this likely something else?
Jenny

Exton, PA

#958 Aug 8, 2010
Hi all!

I stumbled upon this discussion by accident and I am so glad that I did! I am not the typical case. I am only 32 years old and was just released from the hospital yesterday after my first attack.

I do all the right things....eat right, go to the gym, am a healthy weight....but yet here I am recovering from my first severe attack of divert...

I was seen by a surgeon in the hospital, and he strongly suggested I have surgery. My thoughts were...surgery? Heck no! But after reading some of these responses, I think I may give it a second thought. I'm scared and right now am taking these disgusting antibiotics! Yuck! It's just nice to see that I am not alone.
Joy

Brampton, Canada

#959 Aug 8, 2010
Hi Jenny, welcome to the forum :-) Not sure that there is a "typical" case. Although I was about 46 when I had my forst attack I too ate healthy foods, exercised regularly et.c etc. To me it seems a little too soon for you to decide about surgery. After my forst attack it was two years before I had another one, who knows when you will have a second one, if ever. Most important is to be in touch with your body and know ASAP if another attack begins so that you can get help immediately and not end up in the emergency room again! Yes the antibiotics can make you feel worse that he disease although they usually start to help the pain go away after a couple of days (or longer depending on how severe the attack is). I had the surgery when, after 7 years, my attacks became more frequent and I could no longer live a normal life, afraid to eat, afraid to travel etc. My best advice for you right now is stay on a low residue diet for at least a month and when you start to add fibre again do it very slowly. Fibre is great for a helthy colon but makes the colon work very hard which is tough for a diseased colon and prevents full recovery. All the Best and I hope you feel better soon! Joy
Jenny

Exton, PA

#960 Aug 8, 2010
I say typical because I was told that it is unlikely to get an attack as bad as I did under the age of 40. Not saying it doesn't happen, but this is what I was told.

The admitting doctor, the surgeon, and the GI doctor that saw me while I was hospitalized all suggested that I consider the surgery, since I was under 40. I still don't know what I am going to do, but I am more open minded.

I was in the hospital for 7 days, and they have me taking 7 more days of antibiotics, which seems like a lot to me, but oh well....I do what I am told in this case. I am doing the low residue diet, but can not really eat too much as I just don't have an appetite. The pain is gone though which is good.

Thanks for the response. I will consider what you have said.
LouAnn

Houma, LA

#961 Aug 8, 2010
Millie wrote:
Does anyone else have problems sleeping on their sides? When I do.. I wake up with such cramps and a urgency to go.. it takes quite a while for it to calm down
Yes!!! This seems to be my only sympton. I am in pain sometimes all night in the lower left ab and thigh, but as soon as I get up and walk around for 30 minutes are so, if will deisppear for the rest of the day. I don;t have attacks that last for days or weeks, it is nighly and mostly from sleeping on my side. I try hard to stay on my back but at some point end up on my side. What are you doing for this?
Joy

Brampton, Canada

#962 Aug 8, 2010
Jenny wrote:
I say typical because I was told that it is unlikely to get an attack as bad as I did under the age of 40. Not saying it doesn't happen, but this is what I was told.
The admitting doctor, the surgeon, and the GI doctor that saw me while I was hospitalized all suggested that I consider the surgery, since I was under 40. I still don't know what I am going to do, but I am more open minded.
I was in the hospital for 7 days, and they have me taking 7 more days of antibiotics, which seems like a lot to me, but oh well....I do what I am told in this case. I am doing the low residue diet, but can not really eat too much as I just don't have an appetite. The pain is gone though which is good.
Thanks for the response. I will consider what you have said.
Hi Jenny, The good news is that I had a colon resection 20 months ago and feel great these days. It did take me a while to get my system working normally after the surgery but many people return to normal very quickly! Hope you feel better soon, Joy
natalie

Longueuil, Canada

#963 Aug 8, 2010
Jenny wrote:
I say typical because I was told that it is unlikely to get an attack as bad as I did under the age of 40. Not saying it doesn't happen, but this is what I was told.
The admitting doctor, the surgeon, and the GI doctor that saw me while I was hospitalized all suggested that I consider the surgery, since I was under 40. I still don't know what I am going to do, but I am more open minded.
I was in the hospital for 7 days, and they have me taking 7 more days of antibiotics, which seems like a lot to me, but oh well....I do what I am told in this case. I am doing the low residue diet, but can not really eat too much as I just don't have an appetite. The pain is gone though which is good.
Thanks for the response. I will consider what you have said.
Hi Jenny, I had my first attack I was 35. Doc. said don't worry, it'll never happen again....I am now 43 and almost 3 years post-surgery because after a few more attacks...and yucky antibiotics, I went to another hospital and the doc there said it was dangerous for someone so young to have repeated divert. attacks. Like Joy, my life is 100% better cuz I'm back to eating all I want (I too had and have a healthy lifestyle). Keep reading and posting and good luck to you!!!!
Tracy

Jackson, MS

#964 Aug 9, 2010
Jenny wrote:
I say typical because I was told that it is unlikely to get an attack as bad as I did under the age of 40. Not saying it doesn't happen, but this is what I was told.
The admitting doctor, the surgeon, and the GI doctor that saw me while I was hospitalized all suggested that I consider the surgery, since I was under 40. I still don't know what I am going to do, but I am more open minded.
I was in the hospital for 7 days, and they have me taking 7 more days of antibiotics, which seems like a lot to me, but oh well....I do what I am told in this case. I am doing the low residue diet, but can not really eat too much as I just don't have an appetite. The pain is gone though which is good.
Thanks for the response. I will consider what you have said.
Hi Jenny. I am 43 and almost 12 weeks post op from surgery. I was first diagnosed at the age of 32. Mine progressively got worse to the point of being told it was just a matter of time before I had emergency surgery if I did not go ahead and have it "electively". A colonoscopy can tell your surgeon what he needs to know about the degree of your illness. Listen to your body and dont take chances. Got a second opinion if that makes you feel better. Take care and best of luck!
Sodagar

Oakton, VA

#965 Aug 9, 2010
Tracy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Sodagar.
You were so right. I am 5 weeks post surgery and sooooooooo happy I had it. I am now free of this awful disease. The surgery went great. Was not near as bad as I anticipated. In fact, there was very little pain, slight discomfort and the doctor told me they got all of the diverticuli. I can now eat anything I want and am loving it. I am back at work and looking so forward to the rest of my life free of that miserable disease. Thanks to all on the site for your words of encouragement prior to my surgery. If I can be of help to anyone, I would love to. Hope you are continuing to do well also. It is a new beginning!
Good for you Tracy, I am happy for you. I had the many fears too and it turned out that I did not have anything to fear about it. I did have a few complications but all that is behind me and I feel great. I want all those people who are afraid of this surgery to know that there is nothing to be afraid off. Get your life back and go for it.
Mike

Stockton, CA

#966 Aug 11, 2010
Hi Everyone,

Sorry kind of long. I had my 1st attack about 2 years ago. I went to the Dr but they didn't do a CT scan and I got over the pain in about a week. I was never diagnosed. A few weeks ago I woke up with crazy pain in the same spot. I went to the Dr and he said I had a low grade fever of 99, so he sent me for CT. Acute Diverticulitis. Cipro and Flagyl for 10 days and rest. The pain went away within a few days but the fever kept on and feeling sick. Finally about the 8th day of antibiotics the fever went and I felt normal again. 2 days later the last day of my medicine I had 99 fever again and some stomach pain on my left side, and now a little pain below the belt line. I called the Dr yesterday and he put me on Augmintin 875 for 14 day. I still have low grade fever today. My question is can it go this long? I am thinking maybe something else is wrong?
Tracy

Jackson, MS

#967 Aug 12, 2010
Mike wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Sorry kind of long. I had my 1st attack about 2 years ago. I went to the Dr but they didn't do a CT scan and I got over the pain in about a week. I was never diagnosed. A few weeks ago I woke up with crazy pain in the same spot. I went to the Dr and he said I had a low grade fever of 99, so he sent me for CT. Acute Diverticulitis. Cipro and Flagyl for 10 days and rest. The pain went away within a few days but the fever kept on and feeling sick. Finally about the 8th day of antibiotics the fever went and I felt normal again. 2 days later the last day of my medicine I had 99 fever again and some stomach pain on my left side, and now a little pain below the belt line. I called the Dr yesterday and he put me on Augmintin 875 for 14 day. I still have low grade fever today. My question is can it go this long? I am thinking maybe something else is wrong?
Hi Mike. Sounds like you have a nasty bout of it. I'll tell you what my doc told me. If pain gets worse, or fever above 100.1 call them back or go to the er. Sometimes these infections are really tough to get rid of. Hang in there, and if you have any doubts, call your doctor back. Good luck!
Patty

San Dimas, CA

#968 Aug 12, 2010
I had been a regular aerobic exerciser and skier. And then I had this bout of diverticulitis. I don't feel well enough to take walks right now. I'm following the advice herein, but want to know if exercise is a good idea now? My tendency is to work out "no matter what."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Thu richardboyce 2,328
flareup after eating hot sauce yesterday Wed Sherry 9
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Mar 23 BPKaren 4,558
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Mar 23 Anne 1,095
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Mar 21 LKK 29
Sigmoid Colectomy for Diverticular Disease Mar 20 VanessaTheVivacious 36
colon and bladder problem (Nov '10) Mar 19 ladycougar 26
More from around the web