Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#5394 Nov 30, 2012
Bud wrote:
I thought my diverticulitus was under control as I have had no pain in my back or abdomen for a couple of weeks.
Right out of the blue my lower back and left side started to hurt and then I had blood come from my rectum after a bowel movement Now I am in pain again but the bleeding has stopped.I have not changed anything I have been eating and have had no alcohol for over a month.
I find it very uncomfortable to sit for long periods which is the only thing I have been doing that is different from when I had no pain. I had no pain when I was on holidays and keeping busy. I sit alot with work as I am either driving or in the office.
Any ideas how to get comfortable and do you think this is all part of the disease. I have to wait until January for my colonoscopy.
Bud
If you are bleeding I would say it is time for a trip to the ER this can be dangerous I hope you get relief from all of this pain you are in
God Bless and Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry
Ginger1965

Altamonte Springs, FL

#5395 Dec 1, 2012
Hi guys! I am now scheduled for my colonoscopy, symptoms mostly on right had died down when I saw new doctor(my husband says when the prior doc looks through the scope, there is an asshole on both ends). Well the next day, I get very bad pain underneath my right rib cage. New doc says I may have a gall bladder issue as well (I have diverticulitis per CT scan). She ordered MRI abdomen and pelvis along with a HIDA scan. She says gall bladder issues probably not related. What are the groups thoughts? Applecake, took your advice and am drinking protein drinks but still losing weight. I am so miserable. Pain so severe, didn't even bother me to be stuck 5 different times before they got a vein for contrast.
Bud

Salmon Arm, Canada

#5396 Dec 1, 2012
Ginger1965 wrote:
Hi guys! I am now scheduled for my colonoscopy, symptoms mostly on right had died down when I saw new doctor(my husband says when the prior doc looks through the scope, there is an asshole on both ends). Well the next day, I get very bad pain underneath my right rib cage. New doc says I may have a gall bladder issue as well (I have diverticulitis per CT scan). She ordered MRI abdomen and pelvis along with a HIDA scan. She says gall bladder issues probably not related. What are the groups thoughts? Applecake, took your advice and am drinking protein drinks but still losing weight. I am so miserable. Pain so severe, didn't even bother me to be stuck 5 different times before they got a vein for contrast.
As the new doc says MAY BE gall bladder I would wait and see what the new scans say. There are so many nerves in the abdomen area that pain radiates moves sid to side front to back it would appear. Does a hot bath help at all? or a heating pad on the area? I would think the CT scan would have picked up a gall bladder issue. i think sometimes I worry so much it makes mine worse as stress can affect the Diver. I am thinking its the diver Good luck and take it easy as best you can.
Lee Mnich

Syracuse, NY

#5397 Dec 4, 2012
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in 97 and ended up in the hospital for a week. Since that day I would get 2-3 attacks a year and did the normal coctail of drugs with clear liquides. Well after 3 attacks this year wichh included another hospital stay I finally had enough and told the surgen I'm done and want the operation. I had it on Nov 29th and just came home yesterday. They did it with the davinci robot and have 5 holes and one 3" cut above my belly button. I just couldn't live with the pain and not being able to do daily life functions. I'm really sore but keep looking foward to a full recovery. I know how bad this is and hope I can answer any questions about my experinces an recovery. Oh yea I got diverticulitis when I was 26 and I'm now 41 so I lived with it for a LONG time.
tiny bubbles

Saint Paul, MN

#5398 Dec 5, 2012
Ginger1965 wrote:
Hi ginger, my dr' s said my rt side pain under rib cage was gall bladder. For over a month with knifing pain i reeled trusting that no drinking and no fat foods would simmer it down. Not!
After myself pushing back on dr. For tests, my HIDA scan was normal, and ct showed diver everywhere and a large infection in large intestine. Immediately hospitalized for 5 days. Cipro and flagyl did jot work , put on iv zosan. This kicked its butt! Then sent home on Augmentin for a week. Now I am really pained with fungus! I was taking probiotics 4 x a day with all my antibiotics...still no challenge for the big guns to kill my diver. Started citracel solubel fiber, feel super bloated. Drinking EAS low carb protein shakes to put some weight on. Colonoscopy set for 12/31.....will know more then.
paeder63

Glasgow, UK

#5399 Dec 7, 2012
Could some-one please help me, as I am really confused and concerned that maybe I have been mis-diagnosed with div. Several months ago I was to ha be hospitalised for one night, for supposedly having an attack of diverticulitis, after suffering pain lower left abdomen, plus constant diarrehia and bleeding, for 4 days. Was then sent home with no anti-biotics, nor food advice. However 6 weeks later the surgeon that was looking after me, was to send me for a colonoscopy of the lower bowel only, which was to come back as normal. Why my whole bowel or colon was not investigated is a mystery to me. Anyway 2 weeks ago l was to suffer another 4-5 days of toilet drama and bleeding which was to be very stressful and distressing for me. I have contacted surgeons secretary, to voice my concern, and have yet to receive any reply, for any further investigation of my whole colon. My concern is that there maybe something more sinister wrong with my colon, and I am constantly worried.I have also suffered from two episodes of Deep vein thrombosis (Blood clot) and two episodes of highly prevalent thrombosis phelitis (superficial blood clotting) on left leg, in past year with no reasoning forthcoming as to why this was happening! Have done some research on this, and one of the factors of blood clotting, is cancer. Anyway, I would appreciate other users, for any input or guidance, as I am extremely concerned to the point it is making me ill. Thank you.
Bud

Salmon Arm, Canada

#5400 Dec 7, 2012
paeder63 wrote:
Could some-one please help me, as I am really confused and concerned that maybe I have been mis-diagnosed with div. Several months ago I was to ha be hospitalised for one night, for supposedly having an attack of diverticulitis, after suffering pain lower left abdomen, plus constant diarrehia and bleeding, for 4 days. Was then sent home with no anti-biotics, nor food advice. However 6 weeks later the surgeon that was looking after me, was to send me for a colonoscopy of the lower bowel only, which was to come back as normal. Why my whole bowel or colon was not investigated is a mystery to me. Anyway 2 weeks ago l was to suffer another 4-5 days of toilet drama and bleeding which was to be very stressful and distressing for me. I have contacted surgeons secretary, to voice my concern, and have yet to receive any reply, for any further investigation of my whole colon. My concern is that there maybe something more sinister wrong with my colon, and I am constantly worried.I have also suffered from two episodes of Deep vein thrombosis (Blood clot) and two episodes of highly prevalent thrombosis phelitis (superficial blood clotting) on left leg, in past year with no reasoning forthcoming as to why this was happening! Have done some research on this, and one of the factors of blood clotting, is cancer. Anyway, I would appreciate other users, for any input or guidance, as I am extremely concerned to the point it is making me ill. Thank you.
Have you had any ultra sound or Cscan of the abdomen and pelvic area to see if anything else was spotted? If you are not happy with how your doctor and surgeon are dealing with your issues I would go to the ER as was recommended to me for bleeding and have someone else take a look. I have found diverticulitus to ne one of the strangest painful diseases I have ever had and altho I think the symptoms I have are not part of it it turns out they are. There are many good stories and articles from people on this site and if nothing lse after reading a lot of them you will see that what you are experiencing could very well be a good part of it all.

Good luck and get another opinion to make you feel better as you are entitled and it will put your mind at ease either way
Ginger1965

Altamonte Springs, FL

#5401 Dec 8, 2012
Hi Tiny Bubbles---my HIDA scan was normal. The MRI of my pelvis showed my cecum (lowest part of the large intestines had dropped, was distended and was resting on my bladder. I had had a hysterectomy due to a large uterine fibroid 2 years ago, which explains the drop according to my radiologist who incidently is a friend so I get immediate results). My gastro dr is doing my colonoscopy and EGD on Tuesday. Yesterday was the first time in 2 months that I wasn't hurting. She says pain was IBS, and not to worry, she has meds for that. Grateful not Crohns. Keep us posted on your scope. Sorry you are in so much pain. Praying it goes well and that your diver shuts the hell up.
paeder63

Glasgow, UK

#5402 Dec 8, 2012
Bud wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you had any ultra sound or Cscan of the abdomen and pelvic area to see if anything else was spotted? If you are not happy with how your doctor and surgeon are dealing with your issues I would go to the ER as was recommended to me for bleeding and have someone else take a look. I have found diverticulitus to ne one of the strangest painful diseases I have ever had and altho I think the symptoms I have are not part of it it turns out they are. There are many good stories and articles from people on this site and if nothing lse after reading a lot of them you will see that what you are experiencing could very well be a good part of it all.
Good luck and get another opinion to make you feel better as you are entitled and it will put your mind at ease either way
Thank you Bud, I will take your helpful comments on board. God Bless, and I hope you have a peacful, and healthy and merry christmas, and new year. Best wishes from Ireland.
Bud

Salmon Arm, Canada

#5403 Dec 8, 2012
paeder63 wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you Bud, I will take your helpful comments on board. God Bless, and I hope you have a peacful, and healthy and merry christmas, and new year. Best wishes from Ireland.
Thanks for the Christmas wishes. Best of the season to you in Ireland. It will get less stressful as you understand more about this disease. Big smile your way!
Ceecee

Gig Harbor, WA

#5404 Dec 10, 2012
Hi I am new to this board. I had lower left pain, trip to ER, they found nothing on CT scan although I cannot have contrast dye, sent me home thinking IBS. Came back, GP doc now has me on the metro/cipro combo (yuk btw) and am six days in. Couple of questions: GP said nothing about diet right now. I am confused because the antibiotics say TAKE WITH FOOD but now I see I should be on liquid diet? I am still having discomfort on lower left but not pain, more bloating and feel like things are tugging down there. Anyway, what about diet and how long will all this last? Thanks
Bud

Salmon Arm, Canada

#5405 Dec 11, 2012
Ceecee wrote:
Hi I am new to this board. I had lower left pain, trip to ER, they found nothing on CT scan although I cannot have contrast dye, sent me home thinking IBS. Came back, GP doc now has me on the metro/cipro combo (yuk btw) and am six days in. Couple of questions: GP said nothing about diet right now. I am confused because the antibiotics say TAKE WITH FOOD but now I see I should be on liquid diet? I am still having discomfort on lower left but not pain, more bloating and feel like things are tugging down there. Anyway, what about diet and how long will all this last? Thanks
Hi Ceecee

I wish I could tell you more but I am very new to this also. The one thing I have done other than read as much as I can from this excellent forum is asking my doctor lots of questions about everything I feel and notice. If you wonder about being on the diet ask your doctor and don't let him/her off with a vague answer push for the answer you are comfortable with and makes things clear for you. There are other ultra sounds and scans you can have that will help with the diagnosis for your doctor. The question on how long will it last really seem to depend on what you undertake to deal with this lousy disease. For me it has been since last April and I am still waiting for a colonoscopy to see how to deal with my issues. I have read on the forum of people who have been dealing with it for years and it gives me strength to know that it may be something |I have to learn to live with and do as much as I can to reduce attacks, pain and the weird feelings in my left side and back. So talk to your doctor read this forum and take heart that it can be dealt with in many ways as many people have mentioned.

Good luck sorry I don't have a definite answerbut know you are not alone. Take care, best of season and keep the forum posted :)
Ceecee

Vashon, WA

#5406 Dec 11, 2012
Thanks Bud, I have been trying to work my way through the board, I am 7 days in to antibiotics and three to go, then back to doc. My big problem is at end of month we are traveling by car for three days to our winter place and now I am worried about being on road, sitting all day (for some reason sitting seems to make me more uncomfortable), and having to eat road food. Also I do not understand when I should have a colonoscopy. I am confused! Right now too I can't tell if it the diver that is making me feel yucky or if it is the antibiotics. Any ideas I would be happy, thanks. Btw using heating pad seems to help.
Bud

Salmon Arm, Canada

#5407 Dec 11, 2012
Ceecee wrote:
Thanks Bud, I have been trying to work my way through the board, I am 7 days in to antibiotics and three to go, then back to doc. My big problem is at end of month we are traveling by car for three days to our winter place and now I am worried about being on road, sitting all day (for some reason sitting seems to make me more uncomfortable), and having to eat road food. Also I do not understand when I should have a colonoscopy. I am confused! Right now too I can't tell if it the diver that is making me feel yucky or if it is the antibiotics. Any ideas I would be happy, thanks. Btw using heating pad seems to help.
Hi CeeCee

Yes I found sitting to be a problem with me also and I sit alot in my job. What I have done is to change the way I am sitting and get up and walk around alot. I forgot to tell you that when I went to ER and was put on antibiotics I was also told to go on a very bland diet. Not just straight fluids but bland. I was on that until the medication was finished and the actual infection was gone. The uncomfortable feeling and dull pain in my left side is still there but the infection was gone. I stay away from greasy food and do the oatmeal hi fibre foods even when away and eating restaurant food had no flair ups that I could not deal with again you could go bland during the trip.
Drink lots of water and that will help with keeping things soft and make you feel full. As far as the colonoscopy I told my family doctor of all my concerns and the fact that it was not going away and he stated with an ultra sound, then a CT scan and now to be sure and put me at ease (as he has stated diver all along but I think something else) the colonoscopy. Talk to your doc :) and try to relax also as stress seems to have an effect on it as well.

Good luck and safe travels!!!!
Ceecee

Vashon, WA

#5410 Dec 12, 2012
Ok question, it takes three days on road to get to our winter home and we are going with pets so we only stop at places like Subway and McD. What should I eat? My antibiotics will end soon and I am relatively ok, no major pain, just a pressure feeling lower left and diarrhea from antibiotics. What to eat on road? The last thing I want is another attack while traveling. Help!
Anne

Mississauga, Canada

#5411 Dec 13, 2012
Hi Ceecee,

Everyone is different so you might just have to try something and see how you react. I would definitely stay away from fatty or greasy foods. You might not be able to tolerate anything raw yet so even though salads are healthy, it might be too much fiber too soon. Subway probably has more healthy choices and also one of the keys is not to eat too much at one sitting to overload your colon. Eat small portions more frequently. Soups are always good and pasta is easy on the stomach. Try and follow the Mayo clinic diet guidelines as much as possible. After my first attack, I didn't have any problems getting back to normal but as I said everyone is different and can react differently. Now almost 3 years after my second attack, I still can't eat a lot of fiber and gave up red meat, sugar, wheat (now all grains) and dairy and can't even think about eating a salad with raw vegetables. That is not typical of everyone so you just have to go by trial and error and see what works for you. Good Luck.
Bud

Salmon Arm, Canada

#5412 Dec 13, 2012
Anne wrote:
Hi Ceecee,
Everyone is different so you might just have to try something and see how you react. I would definitely stay away from fatty or greasy foods. You might not be able to tolerate anything raw yet so even though salads are healthy, it might be too much fiber too soon. Subway probably has more healthy choices and also one of the keys is not to eat too much at one sitting to overload your colon. Eat small portions more frequently. Soups are always good and pasta is easy on the stomach. Try and follow the Mayo clinic diet guidelines as much as possible. After my first attack, I didn't have any problems getting back to normal but as I said everyone is different and can react differently. Now almost 3 years after my second attack, I still can't eat a lot of fiber and gave up red meat, sugar, wheat (now all grains) and dairy and can't even think about eating a salad with raw vegetables. That is not typical of everyone so you just have to go by trial and error and see what works for you. Good Luck.
Hi Anne/CeeCee

Great advice and exactley what I would suggest. Anne is correct everyone is different and start slow and see what works. Mcd's not a good choice Subway better. Too bad you did not have a Tim Hortons you can get some good soups and stuff there as well. I found I no longer have a tolerance for cheese brings pain on and it never used to. As the people on this forum have stated it really is a life changer and to figure out what does not create problems is trial and error. But start slow :)

God luck to you especially in your travels
Anne

Toronto, Canada

#5413 Dec 13, 2012
Thanks Bud. Hope you are also feeling better. Hopefully when you have your colonoscopy in January you will have a better idea of what is going on and if it can be controlled by diet or not. Everything you mentiond in previous posts is quite typical for lots of people. I also get lower back pain and usually hip and groin pain as well during a flare up. You also mentioned bleeding. That could have been from hemorroids as they are also quite common for people with DD. If the blood was bright red, that could be what it was. If darker, then could have been from the colon and I think some people have that symptom as well.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Ceecee

Gig Harbor, WA

#5414 Dec 13, 2012
Well went to doc, advice is slow reintroduction of fiber, NO popcorn, no lettuce for awhile (says that seems to cause probs for many of his patients), but spinach ok, melons ok, avocado ok, etc. Says the nut thing is controversial, he is ok with nuts as they have fiber. Still on antibiotics so still having runs and slowly eating solids again. Says I can wait to see him in Spring for colonoscopy unless gets bad and then see gastro at our winter place. Anyway upshot is to reintroduce fiber slowly post antibiotics and go from there. In terms of travel gave me another prescription for the antibiotics and said if pain starts to go liquid and antibiotics until colon calmed down. No sesame seed buns at McDs, ha! Anyway guess will muddle through holidays. Interestingly I am more of a loose stool person anyway and he told me fiber eventually will actually help this. He likes Citracell better. Well we will see and thanks so much for all the advice. This board has been a lifesaver.
Anne

Mississauga, Canada

#5415 Dec 13, 2012
Ceecee,
Your doc sounds like he knows a bit more than most. His advice was pretty good. You might want to consider probiotics as they will definitely help with loose stools as well and you really need to replace the good bacteria that the meds killed off along with the bad. FYI, popcorn caused my first diver attack and I swear that nuts caused the second. Those are two foods that I will never eat again ever. I know some docs say they don't cause a problem but for me it's not worth taking the chance of another attack. I avoid seeds and nuts like the plague. There are a lot of other foods that you can get your fiber from so I eat prefer to eat them instead.

Hope you get through the holidays without any problems!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) 9 hr George 2,357
Help please ~ recently diagnosed & don't know w... 14 hr applecake 5
diarrhoea running away with me :/ Sun Helenmac 2
Diverticulitis and fistula, need advice from an... (May '10) Sun nikhilg5 64
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Sun jacky 4,574
Diverticulitis flare after sigmoid colectomy Sat lizlady 31
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) Sat Maur 717
More from around the web