Diverticulitis attack recovery time?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#5030 Aug 29, 2012
Gwynne:

No. This condition does NOT say that you have cancer, nor does it mean that you are going to get cancer. It does not mean that you are going to die at all. Mostly it's uncomfortable. If an infection punctures your colon wall, THAT can be very dangerous, but you can easily prevent that now that you have a diagnosis. Did your doctor not discuss what diverticulitis was with you?

Location hidden

#5031 Aug 29, 2012
buppity:

Is there a citation for that paper you were quoting? I'd like to read it, and maybe post it on the googlegroups research board.

Thank you!
Deb

Olivet, MI

#5032 Aug 29, 2012
Gywnne,

Applecake is right! Diverticulitis does not mean you have cancer. In fact, only a very small minority of people with diverticulitis will have cancer. The one thing they might not have mentioned at the ER is you should be on a liquid and soft diet.

Please Google the following to find out which foods you should be eating for a few days or a few weeks, until the infection is gone:

Mayo Clinic Diet for Diverticulitis

If the infection in your colon keeps coming back, you should have your doctor schedule a colonostomy, so they can see inside your colon and decide which treatment would be best for you.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you'll feel better very soon!
Anne

Mississauga, Canada

#5033 Aug 29, 2012
buppity wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Ann,
I read about grapefruit seed extract a few weeks ago. I now use it every morning 8-15 drops - depending on how my gut is feeling and whether or not I ate something questionable the day before.
I'm all for a natural anti-biotic!
So, I decided to read up a bit on it and found this blurb:
Grapefruit Seed
Grapefruit seed extract has been reported to be a broad-spectrum antimicrobial both in vitro and in vivo. Studies indicate that the antimicrobial activity of grapefruit seed extract exists in the cytoplasmic membrane of the invading bacteria, where the uptake of amino acids is prevented, there is disorganization of the cytoplasmic membrane and leakage of low molecular weight cellular contents ultimately resulting in inhibition of cellular respiration and death.(18)
Grapefruit seed extract also inhibits the growth of H. pylori and C. jejuni, both causative agents in gastrointestinal ulcers.(19) By inhibiting causative agents of bowel dysbiosis (the imbalance of normal bacterial flora in the GIT) including Candida sp. In vivo, grapefruit seed extract is a useful agent in maintaining bowel integrity.(18) In this human study, an improvement in constipation, flatulence, abdominal distress, and night rest were noticed after 4 weeks of therapy. Many clinicians now agree on the importance of maintaining homeostatis of the microflora in health and disease.(20)
Blessings :-)
Hi,

I always thought Grapefruit Extract was good and used it many times over the years and thought it was OK as it was a "natural" product. Found this article on Dr. Weil's website (see link below) so just thought I would throw it out there as this seems to be the other side of the coin. I was not aware of this and it is why I might think twice about taking it again. I am all for trying anything that might work and I probably have :-) but if you are going to try it...better to have the whole picture to make your decision.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400888/Is-Grap...

Since: Jul 12

Laguna Hills, CA

#5034 Aug 29, 2012
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi,
I always thought Grapefruit Extract was good and used it many times over the years and thought it was OK as it was a "natural" product. Found this article on Dr. Weil's website (see link below) so just thought I would throw it out there as this seems to be the other side of the coin. I was not aware of this and it is why I might think twice about taking it again. I am all for trying anything that might work and I probably have :-) but if you are going to try it...better to have the whole picture to make your decision.
Thank you for posting this link Anne. I too am open to try "natural" remedies but I think I will wait until I do further research on grapefruit extract.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#5035 Aug 29, 2012
gwynne wrote:
i was in extreme pain on my left side a few days ago and went to emergency. they told me i had diverticulitis..i have been worried ever since..i read it could be backk-up of bowel or cancer.. i was told to take a colon examine,i'm so frightened.does this condition say you have cancer..i have a 12 year old,i need to be here for him...someone please tell something..someone please respond...
No the condition does not say you have Cancer only the Dr. can tell you that you need to have the colonocopy to be sure of this as if it is any thing bad you want to catch it early so it can be treated this is nothing to fool with Please take care of your self and God Bless you and hold your hand in this trying time

Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry
Anne

Canada

#5036 Aug 29, 2012
Betsy wrote:
Hey Anne, I feel so bad you are not getting better quicker and are going through this repeated bout. And you are one of the most careful ones around, with all the right food and leaving out the wrong stuff. I hope the gastro doc finally recommends the surgery this time around - be sure to keep us posted. I remember the grapefruit seed from about 10 years ago, it was really in fashion back then, was said to have all sorts of anti-inflammatory qualities; never got a bad rap here in Germany. I will google it in German and see what I come up with.I wish there was something you could do to calm your nevers, that intestines - nerve connection is so irksome.------Applecake & Barbara, I think the cookbook really would be a good idea. I know there are people out there who are not good cooks and who are just plain spooked by the whole thing. I would be, too. Who wants to deal with that. So we maybe should give it some thought.
Thanks Betsy

It's really frustrating to have this continue especially as you said because I have been so careful. I am so sick of eating the same things I could scream...LOL. Things were actually pretty good for several weeks until I hit a stress patch and whamo, it was back. I almost cancelled the test because I didn't want to rock the boat but then when the pain returned I figured...ok now maybe they will be able to see what it is and we can deal with it. Gambled and lost...ended up on Flagyl for 10 days and no relief from the pain at all and back to square one! I am starting to deal with the anxiety portion as I have started CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy)last week and can hopefully continue until I have the tools to deal with it. Luckily my work benefits will cover about 10 sessions so hope that is enough. If not, I will do what I have to do to continue. I'll let you know if it works!!
Barbara

Mount Pritchard, Australia

#5037 Aug 29, 2012
gwynne wrote:
i was in extreme pain on my left side a few days ago and went to emergency. they told me i had diverticulitis..i have been worried ever since..i read it could be backk-up of bowel or cancer.. i was told to take a colon examine,i'm so frightened.does this condition say you have cancer..i have a 12 year old,i need to be here for him...someone please tell something..someone please respond...
Dear Gwynne

As every one has told you DD doed not 'give' you cancer.. But the thing that does concern me is... How did they know you have DD, have you had a colonoscopy, because they can't tell just by symptoms... You really need to have the proper tests... I would like to point out that if it is DD, if you were ever diagnosed with caner, it would be found early.. We end up at Dr's so many times..lol.. I have had it 30years, once you have DD you have it always, but you learn to live with it. It is rare ( I was told by my Dr) even after an operation you will still have pockets in other parts of the bowel.. It is not possible to remove the whole bowel.. I myself had my sigmoid colon, parts of the other colon as well... I will just take care in what I eat... But don't panic or stress... It is these emotions which can cause our health problems... Have tests and put your mind at rest.... If you live in the States, go over the border and get them done in Canada.. USA needs a health system where it is free, like in most civilized countries.. Can't believe so many are against this system in USA....Look how many people in here are concerned about the money side of having DD... And DD can kill, If you get a fistula, blockage, twisted, burst etc bowel... So get back to your Dr and get all the information he should have told you when he said you had it..... That is dreadful....
Anne

Canada

#5038 Aug 29, 2012
Barbara wrote:
<quoted text>
Have tests and put your mind at rest.... If you live in the States, go over the border and get them done in Canada.. USA needs a health system where it is free, like in most civilized countries.. Can't believe so many are against this system in USA....Look how many people in here are concerned about the money side of having DD... And DD can kill, If you get a fistula, blockage, twisted, burst etc bowel... So get back to your Dr and get all the information he should have told you when he said you had it..... That is dreadful....
Gwynne, As Barbara says you do need to get tested after your attack clears up with a colonoscopy to determine the extent of your DD. A CT scan can tell if you have infection but the colonoscopy gives a more thorough picture. A lot of people with diverticular disease will only have 1 attack especially if they watch what they eat and take care of themselves so don't worry as it definitely doesn't mean you have cancer.

Barbara..Just want to clarify that yes, Canada does have free health care for all Canadians and you must have a health card from the province you live in to get it. Unfortunately, if an American citizen comes to Canada for tests, they would still have to pay for them the same way they would in the U.S. Also coming to Canada for the tests would probably mean they would have to wait longer to get them and then still have to pay. Waiting longer is the disadvantage of our health care system, but for us not having to pay for it, definitely outweighs that. Tests are usually performed on an as needed basis and must have a requisition from a doctor so if it is not an emergency, you would wait. Personally I have never had to wait too long for a test so can't complain.

Gwynne, good luck and hope you feel better soon. As Deb mentioned, check out the Mayo Clinic diet to get you through while you are on the antibiotics and recovering.
Gillian

Greenock, UK

#5039 Aug 31, 2012
Barabara, I agree with your comments regarding the health system in the US. I am in England and would hate to think of how I would have coped without our NHS (National Health Service). Here it is standard practice for abdominal resection patients to stay in hospital for 10-14 days (open surgery) 5-6 days (lap) AND have 6 weeks paid sickness leave afterwards in order to fully recover.

There ARE waiting lists for most non-emergency treatments but on the whole, the wait isn't too long -and urgent cases such as cancer and life-saving operations are dealt with immediately.

I was reading somewhere recently that medical treatment in the US is the most expensive in the World because it is purely driven by profit. Although there is some sort of aid for some uninsured people, not everyone is covered and it is also seen as charity and is second-rate to that offered to insured patients.

In addition to this, the statistics between health provision in the Developed World show that life expectancy and quality/effectiveness of health services in the US fall way below Australia, Canada, most of Europe and Japan.

Here in Britain, everyone, regardless of income, receives the same free treatments under the NHS. From family doctor appointments, to the most intricate heart surgery - it is paid for by National Insurance contributions which every employed person pays.

Prescription medications/dressings are also supplied at a greatly reduced fixed fee -at the moment it is 7.60 for anything the doctor prescribes, no matter what it's true cost.

The amount of contributions is based on income so those with more money pay more; those with less money pay less. Most ordinary individual's contributions are nothing like the enormous insurance premiums paid in the US because all the money goes into the system: not the pockets of share-holders.

It is not an opt-out scheme and those who choose to avail themselves of a private health scheme can do so, but still have to pay NI contributions.

Yes, in this system, the very poorest, and most vulnerable in society do not pay a penny towards their healthcare even getting their prescription medications, dental care and opticians for free. But isn't this how it SHOULD be in a caring, civilized society?
Betsy

Berlin, Germany

#5040 Aug 31, 2012
Anne, all that really sucks. I am so sorry you are going through the pain. Here you are, so good, and all the pain. I am glad you can do the behavioral therapy, and I think a person get a long way with 10 hours. It sure seems like the stress has an immediate effect on you - I cannot say that about myself, although I am tense and stressed out all the time and hit the roof and go through the ceiling and have bad nerves and tire easily, and you name it - it does not seem to affect the intestines immediately. In fact, I keep wondering if the Lialda wouldn't be worth a try? Did you try asking last time you were going to ask? Sure did wonders for me. I still have a small stash here on reserve. I hope they do something for you soon to make you better.---- Hi Gillian, nice to hear from you! Hope you are well. The German medical system covers us pretty well, too, but man, we pay through the nose for it. If you are really really poor, you don't, but the rest of us pay the arm and the leg that they then restore ..........
buppity

Portland, OR

#5041 Aug 31, 2012
applecake wrote:
buppity:
Is there a citation for that paper you were quoting? I'd like to read it, and maybe post it on the googlegroups research board.
Thank you!
Hi Applecake,

I found the information on the following website:
http://www.nhiondemand.com/viewcontent.aspx...

After reading some other posts about grapefruit seed extract, I am going to check the contents on mine to ensure it doesn't have any of the 'bad stuff'. I assumed it would be pure, since I bought it at Whole Foods (aka Whote Paycheck)- but I need to be sure.

Happy Weekend!
buppity

Portland, OR

#5042 Aug 31, 2012
Anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi,
Hi Anne,

Thanks for this information! I certainly am not interested in ingesting benzethonium chloride. I will check the contents of the bottle I have at home.

I love this forum - thank you all for everything I have read on here!

Blessings!

Location hidden

#5043 Aug 31, 2012
Thanks, B.

I love this forum, too. I'm so grateful for it. Happy weekend everyone. Wishing delicious pain-free eating for everyone.:-)
Anne

Canada

#5044 Aug 31, 2012
buppity wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Anne,
Thanks for this information! I certainly am not interested in ingesting benzethonium chloride. I will check the contents of the bottle I have at home.
I love this forum - thank you all for everything I have read on here!
Blessings!
Hi Buppity
I checked my GSE and it doesn't list the chemicals as ingredients but I think that is one of the problems and why people are unaware that it is not entirely natural. I dont know why they are allowed not to put that info on the labels but I found several other references to this issue on the web as well. I have used it and did not have any problems but it certainly makes you think twice.
Betsy

Berlin, Germany

#5045 Sep 1, 2012
Hey Anne, me again. Believe it or not, I was at my doc's yesterday because of the blood work (thyroid in particular - but boy the uric acid and creatinin levels are sure high), and those blood sedimentation rates were still elevated and the doc said that they have been high for three years and why I don't finally just have the surgery to have the sigma removed (I have a very narrow sigmoid portion of the colon because unbeknownst to me that part of the colon was inflamed often, so that the walls are thick and the passage narrow and thus constantly slightly inflamed (which does not cause me the diarrhea etc, and not the killler pain so many people have). So now I am going to see the surgeon. See what he says. My doc says he thinks removing the inflammation would take away my constant fatigue and low energy level. Will keep you posted.(Maybe we should swap - you come here to Germany and I go to Canada .... just kidding!).Take care.
Anne

Milton, Canada

#5046 Sep 1, 2012
Betsy wrote:
Hey Anne, me again. Believe it or not, I was at my doc's yesterday because of the blood work (thyroid in particular - but boy the uric acid and creatinin levels are sure high), and those blood sedimentation rates were still elevated and the doc said that they have been high for three years and why I don't finally just have the surgery to have the sigma removed (I have a very narrow sigmoid portion of the colon because unbeknownst to me that part of the colon was inflamed often, so that the walls are thick and the passage narrow and thus constantly slightly inflamed (which does not cause me the diarrhea etc, and not the killler pain so many people have). So now I am going to see the surgeon. See what he says. My doc says he thinks removing the inflammation would take away my constant fatigue and low energy level. Will keep you posted.(Maybe we should swap - you come here to Germany and I go to Canada .... just kidding!).Take care.
Hi Betsy
I think I like your doctor better than mine..lol. If I can't get any action here, I might take you up on that! I am definitely going to mention the lialda and ask why with all my inflammation pain am I not a candidate for surgery. Good luck and hope the surgeon can ease your mind about getting it done. Keep me posted!
Nelly

UK

#5047 Sep 2, 2012
Haha - I think I like everyone's doctor better than mine!:)

It is interesting reading about grapefruit extract. Has anyone tried turmeric? I read that it's good for DD so am eating it with everything at the moment. It's quite 'earthy' but works OK in quite a few recipes - not just currys.

Does anyone have a problem with lifting heavy objects? Oddly my first flare up (infection) followed carrying some heavy boxes and doing a bike ride. I thought it was coincidence. However yesterday I lifted something heavy and have the same pain as when I had my infection, but less severe.

Betsy - you mentioned your creatinine levels being high. Presumably that is unrelated to DD? I just asked because I have low kidney function and nobody knows why.

I hope everyone had a pain free weekend.

Nel

Location hidden

#5048 Sep 2, 2012
Hi Nelly:

I've been taking berberine which is essentially a component of tumeric and I think what makes tumeric effective. It might be in my head, but I found it helpful with this last round of inflammation I had.

i was looking around Whole Foods for tumeric in bulk and couldn't find it. Then I remembered I had berberine at home. I need to buy some tumeric. I would assume it's cheaper than getting berberine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berberine
Nelly

UK

#5049 Sep 2, 2012
Hi applecake - thanks - I'll give it a go.

Turmeric is thought to be one of the reasons that DD is less prevalent in Asia - although that doesn't explain the propensity for it being right sided.

I am playing around with my food now to see what suits and what doesn't. I don't think fruit is especially good - it seems to sit around fermenting, whilst vegetables are great, apart from potatoes which need to be in limited amounts.

Along with the recent pain my colon has started making the loudest gurgling noises. It's strange as it's been completely silent for two months! So I hope it's just a sign of things going back to normal at last rather than it revving up for another infection.

Let it try....I am going to be armed with turmeric, berberine and grapefruit extract!

How are you feeling now applecake?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do i get a grip and stop worrying? (Apr '16) Fri mark5111 12
sigmoid resection surgery fears Fri Cynthia 6
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Thu Deb 1,511
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Thu Legalbrat71 4,708
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Jan 16 Anonymous 2,638
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Jan 15 Robbin 81
Diverticulitis and Reasonable Accomodation Jan 13 schultek 2
More from around the web