Diverticulitis attack recovery time?
Mary

Lubbock, TX

#4358 May 5, 2012
Hi Ceige,

I tried a number of times to use metamucil and it caused a lot of pain every time. Other types of fiber, like finely ground flax, oat bran, fresh fruit, seem to be ok. I am one of those people who can eat lettuce and salad without problems, but cannot eat red meat at all anymore.
Julz

United States

#4359 May 5, 2012
Hey one thing that Gillian said was avocados have fiber Ceige. If you like them try a small slice and see if it helps.
Betsy

Berlin, Germany

#4360 May 6, 2012
Hi Natalie - several months ago there was a "discussion" about that diatomaceous earth stuff because someone had posted a link (i.e. a link to a site where you could buy it!), and while the positive effect that stuff supposedly has is dubious it would be downright dangerous for someone who has an infected colon to take it - and if I remember correctly, that is what Gillian pointed out at the time. I quit smoking decades ago and took it to calm my raging gut (the Germans swear by it, they even smear it in their face as a facial and on painful joints) and strangely, it did help my gut at the time, but I cannot believe it could be beneficial for DD, quite the contrary.
DiatomaceousEart h

Columbus, OH

#4361 May 6, 2012
I don't remember ever hearing about diatomaceous earth, but if it works to get rid of worms in people, then I see nothing wrong with taking it (after your colon has healed, that is).

Here's the post where someone asked about diatomaceous earth:
http://www.topix.com/forum/health/diverticuli...

Here's Gillian's "medical-book" response, which sounded like an "attack" toward the original poster:

Here's a follow-up post (and a link) from someone who claims to have benefitted from taking it:

Here's the link to some reviews from people who have taken diatomaceous earth and have received benefits from it:
http://www.fossilshellflour.blogspot.com/

Here's a useful link to "FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FACTS & INFORMATION":
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Here's a picture of what it looks like. Doesn't look like dirt to me and looks more like a sandy powder that possibly just might have many beneficial uses.
http://knottydaughters.com/knotty-farms/diata...

I'm so glad I don't hold onto single belief structures concerning many areas of life! It must suck to have such a closed mind and to always be in waiting to attack those who have open minds!
Ceige

Atlanta, GA

#4362 May 6, 2012
Thanks Julz, Mary and Pam. I'm going to hold off on the metamucil and try natural fibers as you suggest. I appreciate all your help!
natalie

Châteauguay, Canada

#4363 May 6, 2012
Hi Betsy, thanks for the response! wow, some people hold grudges, the post from Gillian is from June of 2011! I can see how it is a very aggressive post on Gillian's behalf, but to get back to basics, THIS IS A FORUM ON DIVERTICULITIS and not cleansing and eating fossilised sea creatures! Or deworming animals or humans!
For those wondering, this post is in response to an earlier post from James Thomson and Betsy's response to me (merci madame!).
DiatomaceousEart h

Columbus, OH

#4364 May 6, 2012
Hi natalie, as you know, once you post something, it will always be there in black and white. James Thomson might not have noticed the date of Gilliun's post and could've found her post by searching google for diatomaceous earth. The date she posted that msg is really immaterial and irrelevent. The noitall, superior, and closed minded tone of her msg is what's important and very telling of her personality.
Julz

United States

#4365 May 6, 2012
Hey DE go start your own forum where people will care about deworming. Secondly Gillian is extremely ill and doesn't need to read your comments when she recovers and comes back!!
natalie

Châteauguay, Canada

#4366 May 6, 2012
Julz wrote:
Hey DE go start your own forum where people will care about deworming. Secondly Gillian is extremely ill and doesn't need to read your comments when she recovers and comes back!!
hmmmm, I wonder who DE could be??? No name, no location, big accusatory words... Easy to criticize people who contribute TO THIS FORUM about divert. when you don't introduce yourself or give your background info.!!!
Lisa

Los Angeles, CA

#4367 May 6, 2012
natalie wrote:
<quoted text>
hmmmm, I wonder who DE could be??? No name, no location, big accusatory words... Easy to criticize people who contribute TO THIS FORUM about divert. when you don't introduce yourself or give your background info.!!!
And it's not the first pseudonym. I'm sure of that. Funny thing is that the poster doesn't think we know this. We do. Every single one.

Since: May 12

United States

#4368 May 8, 2012
I am glad to find this site. May 24th is my elective lap surgery. Single mother of two girls age 2 &9. I act like im not concerned but I am.have a great supportivefamily who wants me to get this done.Three years of it I'm ready as well.the main concern is my weight and not having to do open surgery.im working on walking and getting strong for recovery.any d suggestions on getting ready for this as I want a quick and good recovery.thanks for your site as people don't understand if they have not gone through it themselves.tina
Mom

Kansas City, MO

#4369 May 9, 2012
Tina, I understand where you are coming from. I wish I had a good answer. The only thing I can think to say is keep your protein levels up.
Tanya

Minot, ND

#4370 May 9, 2012
All of this is going on with me...i have a CT scan tomorrow to find out for sure if thats it!! I'm on antibiotics and feel a little better but not totally...Also i had a lot of blood in the toilet after the attack.. has anyone else experienced blood??

Since: May 12

United States

#4371 May 9, 2012
Thank you mom.Happy Mothers Day as well. Protein is hard to tolerate right now. I dont stop for a hamburger anymore as that usually means bathroom problem. I hope the surgery will help those issues of pain and urgency and just being drained. I am okay with a little very lean meat and will try to eat more of it this week and next week. Thanks for your posts I have read about many successful surgeries and am praying for mine to be as well.
Mom

Kansas City, MO

#4372 May 9, 2012
Tina knox tn wrote:
Thank you mom.Happy Mothers Day as well. Protein is hard to tolerate right now. I dont stop for a hamburger anymore as that usually means bathroom problem. I hope the surgery will help those issues of pain and urgency and just being drained. I am okay with a little very lean meat and will try to eat more of it this week and next week. Thanks for your posts I have read about many successful surgeries and am praying for mine to be as well.
Protein is hard. It's the battle I am fighting myself right now. There are some supplements you can get...carnation instant breakfast, boost, ensure, etc. if you are lactose intolerant its harder. There are several protein bars in the pharmacy sections...like Zone bars that will not have so much milk in them. An egg here and there, etc. It is hard to get nutrition in when everything sets your insides into a frenzy. Our bodies need the protein to heal and fight infection. Every bite helps. I wish I had better answers for you.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#4373 May 9, 2012
Here's the truth about protein:

HIGH PROTEIN DIETS CAN CAUSE DEATH
http://www.scribd.com/wildlaser/d/81337252-Ro...

After you've read the above page, Google the following for more sources of information. You'll be surprised at how you've been brainwashed to believe you need animal protein.

By the way, I've been feeling fantastic since I switched to natural forms of protein, eliminated animal protein from my diet (meats, milk, etc), and have flushed out a lot of excess proteins (acids) that had clogged my tissues and body.
BengalKitty1229

Terry, MS

#4374 May 9, 2012
I just was at my gastro doc today. I have chronic diverticulosis and more than my share of diverticulosis flareups. Usually antibiotics will clear the pain in a few days and the infection by the time I finish them. No so this time. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for about two weeks from now. They said I had to be off antibiotics for at least two weeks before the procedure. He also told me he wanted me on Metamucil capsules daily from here on out--3 morning/3 night. My stool has to be good and soft to let my colon continue to heal. I am looking at surgery to remove the diseased part of my colon. Right now I am at a point that I can chose when to have it done. However, if I wait and a pocket ruptures, I could end up having two surgeries because in the first they would have to put in a colostomy and the second about two months later would reverse it.

I do know fiber works from experience. When I was getting enough fiber, I could eat anything and had no issues whatsoever. The thing is with fiber supplements you have to drink plenty of liquids, mostly water, for them to work properly and I have a hard time doing that. It's probably why I have so much trouble with constipation as well. It has to be soft to move well. I used Fibercon before, but he wants me to use Metamucil this go round. I'll see which works better for me and stick with that.

Good luck to everyone. This disease is terrible to deal with, especially if you don't follow doctor's. I didn't and this is where it got me.
Julz

Richland, WA

#4375 May 9, 2012
Hey Bengalkitty

it is probably good to be off antibiotics for awhile.
I was on antibiotics to long and ended up with C-Diff which is caused by being on antibiotics to much. C-diff caused ulcerative colitis in addition to a flare-up with DD.
You know for me the thought of having surgery scared me to death until I had that last attack. I had a history having my first bout with ulcerative colitis at 17 and have always had some type of colon problem since then. Long story short I had colon resection surgery about 8 weeks ago and was blessed to have a short setback after surgery with an abscess but have been able to get my life back. I have never regretted having the surgery. I think
Most of us that have had the surgery feel that way.

Mom I so hope you heal and are pain free soon. I feel so bad that this journey has been so hard for you. Prayers to our for you.

Larry I am glad your doing ok after chemo and not sick. I hope it stays that way!
Cindy

Newburgh, NY

#4376 May 10, 2012
Deb from Mich wrote:
Here's the truth about protein:
http://www.scribd.com/wildlaser/d/81337252-Ro...
After you've read the above page, Google the following for more sources of information. You'll be surprised at how you've been brainwashed to believe you need animal protein.
By the way, I've been feeling fantastic since I switched to natural forms of protein, eliminated animal protein from my diet (meats, milk, etc), and have flushed out a lot of excess proteins (acids) that had clogged my tissues and body.
Deb,
There are a million and one things that can cause death. Knock it off.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#4377 May 10, 2012
Cindy,

The point was not about death. The point was that high protein diets are not good for you. People should learn about this, because that's one of the primary reasons why more people are becoming sick and obese.

Some people on this forum keep pushing the protein myths, and that's what should be knocked off. We don't need to eat animal proteins. We don't need 100 grams of protein a day after surgeries. These are falsehoods and are dangerous bits of advise to someone who already has way too many excess proteins in their body, which are causing most of their health problems in the first place.

We should all be learning about HOW to get healthy and what we should eliminate from our diets in order to do that, instead of taking more pills that only serve to cause more problems inside our bodies.

One way to learn more about this is to keep an open mind and read testimonials from people who have made these changes, so you can see how much healthier they are after making these changes.

Have a great day, Cindy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) May 21 Marian 4,746
Dr Axe Diverticulitis healing diet May 21 Nancy 1
Recurrent diverticulitis after bowel resection (Sep '13) May 21 ENTDoc 28
Chia Seeds and Diverticulitis (May '12) May 19 SMW 47
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) May 18 Dooleymac 2,705
Diverticulitis flare after sigmoid colectomy (Feb '15) May 16 vwilson 41
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) May 13 Sue 753
More from around the web