United States

#4113 Apr 12, 2012
Pam,
Thank you for your support!!!
Pam

United States

#4114 Apr 12, 2012
SharonPH wrote:
I am still waiting for my doctor to call but I have a question I am wondering if anyone can answer. If I palpate in the area of where my spasms are (left mid flank just below ribs), I can feel a little lump. I can cause a spasm by pushing on this little lump. Does this sound right? I mean, I know it is not "normal;" but with someone with Diverticulitis does this sound odd or common?
Thanks!
Sharon, I personally have no experience with this, but am glad you have called the dr. Be sure to let us know how you're doing!

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#4115 Apr 12, 2012
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
Deb,
Grow up or get out.
Lisa
Lisa and Pam,

Sorry, guys. Me and Georgia are just playin'.
Anonymous

Saint Petersburg, FL

#4116 Apr 12, 2012
Any suggestions what type of fiber to start taking daily. My Dr. would like me to take Metamucil with psyllium and I attempted to drink it and could not get past the thick texture. I am going on 3 months of having DD and just recently (2 weeks now) have been pain free except for minor pains here and there. I am going to take in the fiber very slowly since I am still healing. Does anyone know why DD takes so long to heal, is it because it is inside your body? Geesh, I have never experienced anything like this in my life, nor would I wish this on anyone. I am thankful for this forum, for I have learned so much.
Last question: I have a vacation booked for Cancun in May at a Resort where the food and water are safe, should I have any reservations about going? I am going to take Cipro/Flagyl with me for insurance purposes.
Georgia

United States

#4117 Apr 12, 2012
Dear Ceige
go, go, go, I have gone to Belize through Cancun. I love Belize, I love, you will find American Dr's if you need one. Go and have a good time, and tell us all about it when you get back. I am so jealous!!!!
Julz

United States

#4118 Apr 12, 2012
Ceige go and have an awesome time. It will be stress free a big plus for you! I wasn't able to do much fiber just getting over an attack. But I used miralax until I could handle more fiber. I did not use it more that every third day. When the group says add fiber slowly it needs to be at a rate you can handle and as we all say we are all different. I was a wimp at how fast I added fiber. I was really careful when I had any pain to back off if I noticed any increase in pain. You so deserve your vacation and as Georgia said they have American doctors there!
Georgia

United States

#4119 Apr 12, 2012
Hi again Ceige,
You got me all excited about your vacation.
Everybody is different as far as the Diverticulitis goes. I think I've heard of fiber pills if you can't find anything to drink. I would like to add, if you start eating fiber do start with the soluble fiber such as oatmeal, oat bran, also Beans. If you are having problems, I would leave stuff like raw broccoli and other raw veggies till last.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#4120 Apr 12, 2012
I use the Metamucil Clear and Natural. No taste, no texture, it's just like drinking water but you get some fiber too :0)

Have a fabulous time and try not to stress since that can be a contributing factor in attacks. Think calm, blue, warm water and skies!
Pam

United States

#4121 Apr 12, 2012
Ceige wrote:
Any suggestions what type of fiber to start taking daily. My Dr. would like me to take Metamucil with psyllium and I attempted to drink it and could not get past the thick texture. I am going on 3 months of having DD and just recently (2 weeks now) have been pain free except for minor pains here and there. I am going to take in the fiber very slowly since I am still healing. Does anyone know why DD takes so long to heal, is it because it is inside your body? Geesh, I have never experienced anything like this in my life, nor would I wish this on anyone. I am thankful for this forum, for I have learned so much.
Last question: I have a vacation booked for Cancun in May at a Resort where the food and water are safe, should I have any reservations about going? I am going to take Cipro/Flagyl with me for insurance purposes.
Ceige, my dr. wanted me to take metamucil, too. Actually, he recommended Fibercon, which is a pill, but I didn't want to take it. I wanted to use Fiber one, but he warned me it caused a lot of gas. I didn't believe him, but I finally figured out he was right. And as I'm sure you know, gas can be painful for us sometimes, so I quit using the Fiber one and went to Metamucil. It was gross at first, but I've gotten used to it.

On vacation, I've made oat bran porridge, by running just water through an little in-room coffee maker. Just pour the hot water over a little bit of oat bran and let it sit for a while, and there you go, soluble fiber. The little individual serving sizes of applesauce are nice to take, too.

Have fun!
Cindy

Newburgh, NY

#4122 Apr 12, 2012
SharonPH wrote:
I am still waiting for my doctor to call but I have a question I am wondering if anyone can answer. If I palpate in the area of where my spasms are (left mid flank just below ribs), I can feel a little lump. I can cause a spasm by pushing on this little lump. Does this sound right? I mean, I know it is not "normal;" but with someone with Diverticulitis does this sound odd or common?
Thanks!
WOW, I never felt a lump but then again I never looked. I worked hard at not pushing on my stomach. I know I was sore if I pushed or put pressure in the area where I had the most problems. I hope your Dr called you today and was able to answer your questions. Please post what he or she said, I am really curious.
Georgia

United States

#4123 Apr 12, 2012
Cindy,
I hope Sharon doesn't feel bad that no one answered her question, I think it was because, like you it has not happened to us. I hope she posts too.
Cindy

Newburgh, NY

#4124 Apr 12, 2012
Ceige wrote:
Ceige,
I just started taking fiber in gummie pills. LOL. I feel like a little kid with candy, but they seem to be helping and aren't too much and no disgusting things to drink. My Dr also reccomended the beneful fiber wafers. They tasted OK but seemed to aggravate my stomach. The Fiber One brownies also are good and don't seem to aggravate me. I just REFUSE to drink disgusting slime for fiber so I have been on a mission to get it in different ways. AND have a great time in Cancun. I lived there for a year and taught english. I just love it there.

Location hidden

#4125 Apr 12, 2012
Pam, that's a great suggestion re: oat/wheat bran hot cereal when traveling. Who wants that nasty coffee anyway! I always seem to get backed up when traveling, even since I was a kid. I usually stock up on oranges but that's not recommended when dealing w diverticulitis.

Thanks for the tip!
LIsa

Las Vegas, NV

#4126 Apr 12, 2012
Cindy wrote:
I was diagnosed w/div 21/2 weeks ago by my Internist after never having any problems in this area & took 1500 mg of Flagl & 1000 mg of Cipro for 10 days which nearly killed me. Last Thursday I saw a Colon Rectal Surgeon, hghly regarded in this city & he told me it can take up to 2 months for a colon to heal & I needed to keep doing what I was doing. I still have the same symptoms from the beginning except I am now on a nearly no fiber & low residue diet. I am so sick in the mornings & am lucky to work at home because my life now revolves around this. Does this sound normal to you experts out there?
I had the surgery a little over 2 years ago. I really have no pain on that side anymore just a bit on the scar as they couldn't do the laproscopic when they found out what was going on. You do need to be patient. Otherwise I did wait 2 1/2 months before returning to work as I had a very physical/lifting job and I'm no spring chicken. I can tell you I still have diver on the left side as the ONE pocket that caused me probems was on the right side. It had attached to my kidney. I didn't know I had a problem on that side too. Anyway about constipation or and fiber. I started taking Metamucile for my left sided diver before the surgery and it didn't solve anything and my attacks got more frequent. Eat a good fiber filled diet. I get all my fiber from food now. I eat oatmeal every morning and 1/2 glass of carrot juice. Vitamin C and a good multi. Flagyl is hell! Made me so sick! As I said, be patient it will get much better. Stay on a good diet while you heal. There also is a Diver facebook page, check it out.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#4127 Apr 12, 2012
Hi All,

Talked to my doctor's PA today. My WBC is normal so for now no meds. Since the pain returned after I started eating again, I am to go back on the liquid diet for another couple of days. The PA thinks the lump I am feeling (on left side, near my waist, just below my ribs on the back, not front... put your hands on your waist and where your thumb rests on your back is the spot I am talking about)is fecal material moving through my sigmoid colon. That is incredible to me... not to mention gross! She said my recent colonoscopy showed considerable narrowing in this area, and she warned that this would probably not be my last attack and that I might need surgery in the future. From reading the posts here, I was kind of prepared for that.

The doctor also gave me something called Bella-Phenobarb... has anyone ever taken that before? It is suppose to be an anti-spasmodic, but the drug description also says that this drug slows down the bowel function... seems like this might worsen my tendency to be constipated? I really would like to have some relief from my spasms though... the pains are SO strong... thank god they are not constant.

Thanks all for your words of wisdom and advice!
Georgia

United States

#4128 Apr 12, 2012
Hi Sharon,
it does sound incredible, I've never felt for a lump. I hope the liquid diet takes care of it. Just be careful when you start back on the low fiber.
Good luck, and try not to stress. Thanks for posting and keep us informed.
mcbphd

Lubbock, TX

#4129 Apr 12, 2012
Ciege, I tried three times to take metamucil and never succeeded - always gas and pain. I use very finely ground flax, miralax, and occasionally very small amounts (1 oz.) of prune juice mixed with cranberry juice and water (yes, it's actually really good). I have a mild oat allergy, or I would use oat bran as well. Oh, and a grapefruit, well chewed, each day when I can find them in the store. It was 3 months after my attack before I even considered fiber, even tiny amounts, but I'm one of those people who had a lot of lingering pain and twinges long after the infection had cleared up. It was about 10 months before I resumed a normal diet. I still do not eat tomato seeds, strawberries, blackberries, or corn, but I have reintroduced everything else. I think staying regular is the key for me. I take the miralax by the way, in 1 tsp. doses, dissolved in warm Yogi Ginger tea, which minimizes any nausea or queasiness. Currently, for other health reasons, I am adding in some magnesium, which is destroying my delicate balance! So I am having to experiment with the right amount of miralax.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#4130 Apr 12, 2012
Georgia wrote:
Hi Sharon,
it does sound incredible, I've never felt for a lump. I hope the liquid diet takes care of it. Just be careful when you start back on the low fiber.
Good luck, and try not to stress. Thanks for posting and keep us informed.
Hi Georgia, Because my spasms are so localized, when ever I get them, I immediately grab that spot and push in a little. Kind of like if you have ever had a charlie horse in your calf, how it feels a little better to push on it. I noticed that I could actually palpate the spasm as it was happening. That led me to feeling around in that area when I wasn't having a spasm and I discovered this "lump." If I push on the lump, I can actually cause a spasm! It seems bizarre to me, but when I asked the PA about it today, she readily told me that it was fecal material passing through my bowels! I guess this makes sense... all I know is that the spams are incredibly painful... I groan and yell out... can't help myself. I thought that by going on the liquid diet for 3 days I had "beat" this... but no, my bowels are once again rebelling. I have lost 5 pounds in the last 7 days. While I needed to lose 5 pounds, I am at my ideal weight now and am nervous about losing more weight! Anyway.. thanks for your words of encouragement.. I feel so much better having people like you to bounce my endless list of questions on!

Take Care,
Sharon
Mom

Kansas City, MO

#4131 Apr 13, 2012
SharonPH wrote:
Hi All,
Talked to my doctor's PA today. My WBC is normal so for now no meds. Since the pain returned after I started eating again, I am to go back on the liquid diet for another couple of days. The PA thinks the lump I am feeling (on left side, near my waist, just below my ribs on the back, not front... put your hands on your waist and where your thumb rests on your back is the spot I am talking about)is fecal material moving through my sigmoid colon. That is incredible to me... not to mention gross! She said my recent colonoscopy showed considerable narrowing in this area, and she warned that this would probably not be my last attack and that I might need surgery in the future. From reading the posts here, I was kind of prepared for that.
The doctor also gave me something called Bella-Phenobarb... has anyone ever taken that before? It is suppose to be an anti-spasmodic, but the drug description also says that this drug slows down the bowel function... seems like this might worsen my tendency to be constipated? I really would like to have some relief from my spasms though... the pains are SO strong... thank god they are not constant.
Thanks all for your words of wisdom and advice!
Sometimes, you just need a break from the pain and spasms and a good night's sleep. Even if it slows down your bowels, a break from the pain might seem nice.

I have the same narrowing and it wasn't until you posted what the PA said that I understood what you meant by lump. Because of my narrowing I get backed up there, even when I am not actually constipated and I get a hard spot on my belly. It's like an early warning beacon that I am going to have a flare if I don't do something about it. Not that I can prevent the flares-- that isn't going so well either.

However, my doctor told me to use the miralax daily. It keeps me running, but it prevents the grid lock at the narrowing and running or not, it greatly reduces the pain I had been having at the narrowing and I haven't needed the percocet at all.

You might ask your doctor what he thinks.

I hope you feel better.
Georgia

United States

#4132 Apr 13, 2012
Hi Sharon,
I'm so glad you got your question asked. I was at a loss. I have Diverticulitis, but it is mild compared to some of the people on this forum. Most of the people have wonderful advice and really want to help people that are going through similar hard times that they have, or had with Diverticulitis.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diverticulitis 8 hr Angieb67 1
Chia Seeds and Diverticulitis (May '12) May 24 schultek 48
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) May 21 Marian 4,746
Dr Axe Diverticulitis healing diet May 21 Nancy 1
Recurrent diverticulitis after bowel resection (Sep '13) May 21 ENTDoc 28
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) May 18 Dooleymac 2,705
Diverticulitis flare after sigmoid colectomy (Feb '15) May 16 vwilson 41
More from around the web