Diverticulitis attack recovery time?
Julz

Richland, WA

#4008 Apr 4, 2012
Glad your home Mom! Nothing like your own bed to finally get some sleep in. I so pray you are on the road to recovery! You have been a trooper and I know how frustrating set backs are. Keep us posted.
Brittany

Dearborn, MI

#4009 Apr 5, 2012
I had a severe attack in 2010 and a minor one a couple days ago. I completely changed my diet as well. We will see how this goes.
Sonia

Antioch, CA

#4010 Apr 5, 2012
Is it okay to drink Ensure when recovering from DIverticulitis? I am on the low fiber diet but I think I started eating too much too soon. I have only been out of the hospital for two days.
What foods/drinks worked best for you??

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#4011 Apr 5, 2012
Sonia,

I drank a lot of Ensure drinks before and after my colon surgery, plus a lot of cottage cheese, honeydew melons, and cantaloupes. I remember that I had more pain (pressure) when eating too much fiber too soon (Fiber One bars), and it took about two months before I could eat one Fiber One bar each night, without having any pressure pain at the resection site. Everyone's different, though, so the common sense foods that worked for me might not work for everyone.

I wish you a successful recovery!
natalie

Châteauguay, Canada

#4012 Apr 5, 2012
Sonia wrote:
Is it okay to drink Ensure when recovering from DIverticulitis? I am on the low fiber diet but I think I started eating too much too soon. I have only been out of the hospital for two days.
Dear Sonia, stick to the foods on the list given to you at the hospital. Eat small portions and drink fluids to keep you from constipation. You can also follow the Mayo clinic diet. DO NOT eat raw anything (fruit, veggies, skin on or off) for at least 2 weeks. Your colon needs to rest and heal not work to digest a lot of food. Call your hospital and ask to speak to a dietician for ideas of what you CAN eat. I'm not sure but I think Ensure might contain too much fiber! I hope some one other than me (OR Deb from Mich.) can chime in with good advice. Rest if you can, take care of yourself!
Georgia

United States

#4013 Apr 5, 2012
Sonia,
Natalie is correct. Your best bet would be to follow the Mayo Clinic diet for Diverticulitis. This is the diet that most of us swear by;

Low-fiber foods include: Canned fruits, Desserts without seeds or nuts, Eggs, Enriched white bread, Fruit juice with little or no pulp, Low-fiber cereals, Milk, Yogurt or cheese without seeds or nuts, Smooth peanut butter, Tender meat, poultry and fish,White rice or plain pasta, noodles or macaroni, Well-cooked vegetables without seeds or skins. You may need this low fiber diet for a couple weeks or more before slowly starting back on the fiber foods. Also it is extremely important to eat tiny meals—about the size of half a sandwich. To much food can also cause a good amount of pain. Good luck, I sure hope this helps.
Pam

Clovis, CA

#4014 Apr 5, 2012
Sonia wrote:
I have never tried Ensure, but I know several others here have and say it's a good source of protein. I always found eggs soothing to my tummy and they're another good protein source. Peanut butter (smooth, of course) on soda crackers is filling. Plenty of water and juices.
Sonia

Antioch, CA

#4015 Apr 5, 2012
Georgia wrote:
Sonia,
Natalie is correct. Your best bet would be to follow the Mayo Clinic diet for Diverticulitis. This is the diet that most of us swear by;
Low-fiber foods include: Canned fruits, Desserts without seeds or nuts, Eggs, Enriched white bread, Fruit juice with little or no pulp, Low-fiber cereals, Milk, Yogurt or cheese without seeds or nuts, Smooth peanut butter, Tender meat, poultry and fish,White rice or plain pasta, noodles or macaroni, Well-cooked vegetables without seeds or skins. You may need this low fiber diet for a couple weeks or more before slowly starting back on the fiber foods. Also it is extremely important to eat tiny meals—about the size of half a sandwich. To much food can also cause a good amount of pain. Good luck, I sure hope this helps.
Yes, thank you so much....this is a whole new unfortunate world for me and I am just trying to get better. I appreciate your comments ladies.
DianaL

San Mateo, CA

#4016 Apr 5, 2012
Warning, if you are just coming off an attack or hospitalization you want to be as conservative as possible for as long as you can. The slowly introduce foods.

Now I hate the idea of Ensure but as a product that was easy to digest and packs a good amount of protein, it's pretty awesome. I used Ensure Plus since it had even more protein. I got creative with smoothies I would add peach juice (pasturized), Ensure, protein powder and yogurt.

I couldn't do peanut butter, it was maybe too much oil and didn't sit well.

I missed tasting food so much so I would have Progresso Chicken Noodle soup with all the solids strained out. Same with Beef and Barley, sans solids. Homemade mashed potatoes were heaven. I would put butter and sour cream in them. Trader Joe's has some great turkey gravy that I would put on them.

Smaller meals are the way to go. Oh, and lots and lots of water.

Good health to you!
Betsy

Berlin, Germany

#4017 Apr 6, 2012
Hi, I agree with Diane about the Ensure and that it is pretty awesome. I drank it for two weeks (nothing else except water & tea) during my last attack, and it helped me through. The advantage of sticking to Ensure is that you cannot make any mistakes food-wise when you think a certain food is low-fiber but you personally do not agree with it, and Ensure keeps you going strength-wise (I am a freelancer, but I worked hard the whole time I was drinking only Ensure). Someone recently mentioned here - Diane maybe ?- that it can have a positive effect regardig C diff, but I do not know anything about that.[And btw, somebody mentioned Aloe Vera juice - now Aloe Vera juice is lethal for me, even when I am attack-free, gives me instant diarrhea, plus taste-wise it is about on the level of the pre-Colonoscopy drink ......some people here have said its alleged benefits are questionable/negligible] Greetings to everyone, take care, Mom hope you are doing well at home. Happy Easter. Betsy
conngram

Alstead, NH

#4018 Apr 6, 2012
As far as protein drinks go, you can get protein powders and make your own drink. They usually come in vanilla and chocolate flavors. I mix vanilla powder with some almond or coconut milk, maybe a little yogurt, a banana and some ice cubes for a delicious shake. I alternate the shakes for breakfast with oat bran or oatmeal. I had a attack in July and then again in November and still have to be careful with raw foods and nuts. I can eat very small amounts but too much still causes pain, although I have not had another infection.
Georgia

United States

#4019 Apr 6, 2012
I am also going to encourage everyone to report abuse of our forum on Deb from Mich. She is having our posts deleted because we don't agree with her. If you people truly want this forum to be here for you and your questions please follow everyone else's lead and report Deb from Mich posts and ask that she be banned from our Diverticulitis forum.
I didn't realize how easy it actually is till Diana L pointed out all you have to do is click on the report abuse on one of Deb from Mich posts and add your email and explain why. Please, raw food and Diverticulitis do not go together and she will make someone's attack worse with the confusing info she puts out. Of course she always denies it later.
I think our forum is worth trying to save. Please ask that Deb from Mich be banned from the Diverticulitis site and she can find a home where people will embrace all her postings about raw food.
Sonia

Antioch, CA

#4021 Apr 6, 2012
Thanks again, can't say enough how helpful all your input is to me....I am really just trying to find mt way through all this awfulness.
Georgia

United States

#4022 Apr 6, 2012
Hi Sonia,
I wish you all the luck in the world getting through this. One food that was always a favorite for me after I was off the liquid was 1 egg on a piece of toast. It was the perfect amount and it seemed to settle really well. Everyone seems to love mashed potatoes. In a week or 2 or 3 or more, you are just going to have to experiment, when to start adding fiber, a little at a time to make sure it doesn't bring back the pain. Start with soluble fiber like oatmeal or oat bran which are both really good for you and save the raw vegetables for last. As I said you have to experiment, everybody is different.
mcbphd

Lubbock, TX

#4023 Apr 6, 2012
The sad thing is that fresh, strained juice really is good for you and not harmful unless you have issues with acid or food allergies, and I hate to see the current controversy having the potential to throw the baby out with the bath water. Having said that, I have some real concerns about raw foods, including juices made from raw foods, even when not in an attack, because of the safety issues with our food supply, and the potential for e.coli. and other bacterial contamination. I don't have scientific evidence to back this up, but I have a suspicion that those of us who are prone to diverticulitis are much more susceptible to food borne illness. In fact, my major attack last year followed a case of food poisoning. Since my attack, I tend to cook everything, and if I do eat a salad, I wash it with soap and rinse multiple times! I also make an effort to be sure I eat only freshly prepared foods and freeze, not refrigerate leftovers. I also try to know where my foods come from - we have a local apple orchard that has a "pick your own" policy, so I get to go and see where my apples are grown and pick them myself.

During my attack, I was freaked out over so much "white" food, so I drank a lot of V8 fusion drinks, and it made me feel better to know that I was getting some vitamins. Sometimes I mixed them half and half with water, and I would use them for my probiotic powder, because it needed a strong taste to balance to flavor in the powder.

I was one of those mashed potato people, graduating to baked potatoes as I got better. I swear I lived off of potatoes. For me, eggs did not settle well and eating pasta or flour tortillas was like swallowing a lump of paste.
Georgia

United States

#4024 Apr 6, 2012
Hi mcbphd
You are correct, fresh juice is good for you. We are not claiming that it is not. processed juice like v-8 is ok during an attack. the problem is when people usually find this site they are pretty desperate to try and stop the pain from their Diverticulitis attack. All we want if for the pain to go away for those people. If they are having a bad attack and drink raw juice it will cause more pain. It doesn't mean they can't have it in a few weeks when their colon has healed. We are only trying to get Deb to stop telling people they should be eating raw fruits and juices 2 days out of the hospital, or in the middle of a bad attack. You have brought other issues to our attention. Thanks for posting and don't be a stranger. I hope you stay attack free.
mcbphd

Lubbock, TX

#4025 Apr 6, 2012
Yep, I understand - I had one of the idiot doctors who advised me to eat a high fiber diet during an attack. Found Mayo's site first, then this forum, and told him I thought I would take Mayo clinic's advice over his. Overall he took it pretty well...
Mom

Kansas City, MO

#4026 Apr 7, 2012
mcbphd wrote:
Yep, I understand - I had one of the idiot doctors who advised me to eat a high fiber diet during an attack. Found Mayo's site first, then this forum, and told him I thought I would take Mayo clinic's advice over his. Overall he took it pretty well...
Thank you for the v8 idea. I'm not tolerating much beyond pasta at this point and need to get some of those vitamins in. I will try a wee bit of the V8 and see. I agree also on the food borne illness. It makes sense. If our colon is already raw and inflamed a pathogen has an easier time finding a place to cause trouble.
Cindy

Newburgh, NY

#4027 Apr 8, 2012
Mashed potatos were a regular for me, pasta with a little bit of sauce was ok, pancakes, white toast and an egg was good too. Basically, a lot of unhealthy starches that I avoided for years. I found the high protein slim fast shakes made me feel more energized. I don't care for the pre-mixed drinks so I would buy the powder and use my blender. Throw in some plain vanilla ice cream and it's yummy. For some reason fruit juices aggravated my stomach. Every person is going to be a little different but the facts are no fiber until an attack has healed and no raw fruits or vegetable. AND it does take a long time for you to heal up from an attack.
Elaine

Mesquite, TX

#4028 Apr 8, 2012
I had my first attack in November, and all the help I received was a Surgeon that wanted to give me an colonoscopy bag. I opted out, and have tried high fiber, to low residue. Cranberry juice and water help the most. Now, stress has cauesed another attack. I do not want to go back to surgeon. Cannot get my Primary Doctor to help, he has given me Norco for the pain. But Norco causes contispation. I am on Medicare and get little or no help to find an Internest. Any suggestions, besides the obvisous. Age 62

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Surgery 19 hr Kittypusskins 1
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) 22 hr Mickeyfin 2,583
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Wed NJ John 1,467
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Aug 23 Erik215 4,670
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) Aug 22 Johnpattersonla 735
Enima Aug 22 Lorraine 1
Feeling sick Aug 20 jody 2
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Aug 14 Cbay 61
More from around the web