Mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2011

Pam, you are right about herbal remdies/vitamens not being a regulated industry. Georgia has pointed out several times that using a reputable brand is necessary and Gillian has correctly pointed out that once we have reestablished the normal flora in our gut, the gut flora will manage itself effectively.

I get all that. I definately do not want c-diff. Not only would that be overwhelmingly unpleasant, it would mean more flagyl and trust me I am counting down to the end of the cipro and flagyl.

But here's my question: how do I know what is a reputable brand? Does Consumer Reports or somebody do some kind of verification? If they do, what did they say?

What about taking a probiotic when you are on the antibiotics? I was thinking if I took some at night, a few hours after my evening dose it might help me hold my ground. I realize the antibiotics would try to kill them all too. I am grasping with that, I know, but I am weary.
Gillian

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

My doctor always recommended that I eat a live yoghurt a day whilst on antibiotics-but I was always on Augmentin.I know that you are not allowed dairy with some antibiotics.
Anne

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

Mom wrote:
What about taking a probiotic when you are on the antibiotics? I was thinking if I took some at night, a few hours after my evening dose it might help me hold my ground. I realize the antibiotics would try to kill them all too. I am grasping with that, I know, but I am weary.
Hi Mom,

I take probiotics regulary as I don't eat dairy so yougurt is not an option for me although I did find one made from coconut milk that I think I might try. I know there are a couple of probiotics especially made to use while on antibiotics. They are more heavy duty and I think you use them for a shorter period of time until your system gets back to normal. One I was reading about recently is Florastor which looks like it is doctor recommended.(not trying to sell them or push them on anyone, just letting you know as info). You might want to google them and see if it is something you might like to try. It says it is available in most drug stores. I haven't used it but would definitely consider it if I have to go on meds again. Good Luck!
Mike

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

Hi Georgia... and thanks. I hope it continues forever as well.

I went back and read the discussions on probiotics. Very solid information. It is important to get ones that actually contain live cultures that will make it though the digestive tract. I am using Critical Care Ultimate Flora 50 Billion capsules. I also eat yogurt, kefir and saurkraut on a fairly regular basis. Now that I am better I take a capsule every 2-3 days or so.

The only thing I will add is we should continue to some sort of probiotic on a fairly regular basis, not just stop when we are better. For many of us, this is a recurrent problem and it leads me to believe that those of us with recurrent problems may have problems maintaining the natural balance of gut flora, for whatever reason. Keeping a regular intake may help us keep a regular balance of flora.

I have only been attack free for a few months. If I go a few years or never have another attack then maybe this theory works. Trouble is, some of us will never have another attack so it is pretty hard to tell...
Deb

Port Townsend, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

The pain of inflammation and infection came back on Friday night, so I started taking three half Flagyl tablets each day, eight hours apart -- to make sure there's no infection this Friday, when I have the colonoscopy.

I noticed I was constipated about three days before the pain came back. Then I realized that I hadn't eaten any apples for about a week. So I've eaten an apple each day for the last two days, and now the pain is gone, and I'm no longer constipated.

This is what has worked the best for me. I plan on eating an apple every day for the rest of my life.(For now, I've been chewing the peelings and spitting them out...)
Chris Hagen

Manchester, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

Deb wrote:
The pain of inflammation and infection came back on Friday night, so I started taking three half Flagyl tablets each day, eight hours apart -- to make sure there's no infection this Friday, when I have the colonoscopy.
I noticed I was constipated about three days before the pain came back. Then I realized that I hadn't eaten any apples for about a week. So I've eaten an apple each day for the last two days, and now the pain is gone, and I'm no longer constipated.
This is what has worked the best for me. I plan on eating an apple every day for the rest of my life.(For now, I've been chewing the peelings and spitting them out...)
I am part of the apple a day club too. I progressed over the past two months to eating them peels and all. I live in the Northeast United States and we have tons of apple orchards. They are delicious this time of year. Also make you own chicken soup with lentils...very good as cold weather moves in and full of fiber with the lentils and carrots too.
Gillian

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

Possibly an apple a day is good for you as it contains pectin, which is a prebiotic. Prebiotics feed the probiotics in your gut.

This link is to a very informative site that explains the relationship between soluble fibre (prebiotics) and probiotics. It's a cleverly disguised ad for supplements which I don't think are necessary if you eat a diet rich in soluble fibre. But it is very interesting:

http://www.jacksongi.com/
Andy

Little River, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

I realize there are wide ranging views on the taking of probiotic supplements. Everyone should do their own research and decide what is best for them.

I take a supplement called Acidopholus Pearls, once a day, every day. The tiny round tab is coated so it travels into the gut before releasing. I really feel that it helps. My pain is now almost non-existant. My colon seems to be working better than it has in years.

The concern some people have about supplements is not something I really focus on. I am 62 years old and do not look at this topic the same way someone in their 30s or 40s might.
Mom

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

Thanks everyone. I talked to the pharmacist today and got a probiotic filled with 4 different live cultures designed to be able to make it to the intestines. She said it will work and the antibiotics wont kill them. I'm not real clear about that last part as I am feeling a bit like any bacteria in my zip code not just my body is in mortal peril at this point.

I love apples, especially the Honey Crisp variety that is currently in season. I think that will help. Apples sat fine last time so I feel pretty secure adding them. I am more than a bit paranoid about cantelope right now. I haven't had time to find out whats up with the listeria business, but I have all the intestinal issues I can handle at the momment. My usual breakfast, flare up or not, is an apple as it is portable and I can eat it in the car on my way to work.

Anne-- I can't do dairy either. I am interested in the coconut yogurt. If you find it, and decide it is edible, please share.

Also-- a bit of irrelevant information that tickled my funny bone--or gallows humor--given how totally yucky I am feeling.... my PCP while giving me the standard lecture about taking all of the dreaded antibiotics, etc etc...say, and "oh by the way, no alcohol at all, no cough syrup, no mouthwash, etc etc." Then she tells me "you know, they developed antabuse from flagyl." Given how sick it makes me, I have to say, of course it was... Sorry guys. It just struck me as the ironic kind of funny. I dont drink at all, but I can imagine it would be effective. The idea gives me the willies. Only people who have had to take the flagyl get why.
Gillian

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Andy, I am not completely against supplements, and if they work for you , then that is a good result.

All I am against is the idea, given as fact, by producers of these supplements, that everyone should take them everyday ad infinitum.

The role of supplements is to 'supplement' the diet when it is lacking in some nutrient for whatever reason. They are invaluable when used in this way,

What we should be doing, though, is changing our diets to make sure we are getting everything we need without having to rely on expensive supplements.

After all, the people in the third world with the healthiest guts, do not take supplements to keep their good bacteria at the optimum levels.

I am 57 by the way, wish I was 30 or 40 again!
Gillian

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

PS, I do think that during and a week or so after antibiotic treatments, they are essential for restoring the depleted bacteria.
Andy

Little River, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Gillian wrote:
Andy, I am not completely against supplements, and if they work for you , then that is a good result.
All I am against is the idea, given as fact, by producers of these supplements, that everyone should take them everyday ad infinitum.
The role of supplements is to 'supplement' the diet when it is lacking in some nutrient for whatever reason. They are invaluable when used in this way,
What we should be doing, though, is changing our diets to make sure we are getting everything we need without having to rely on expensive supplements.
After all, the people in the third world with the healthiest guts, do not take supplements to keep their good bacteria at the optimum levels.
I am 57 by the way, wish I was 30 or 40 again!
As we grow older there are things our body stops doing and producing and it isn't going to turn around because we eat correctly. I am not attributing my colon health solely to the probiotic I take; I am also way more conscious now of natural fiber in my diet.

The probiotic I take is not expensive. It is around $20 for a ninty day supply.

As for the third world thing, I'm pretty happy living in the USA.
Eileen

Priest River, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Well it works! I knew it worked wonders topically! I have read and read and read and feel I was informed enough to try it.

What is it you ask?
Aloe Vera Juice!

ahh!! Life is getting better!
Lynn

Clarksville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Eileen wrote:
Well it works! I knew it worked wonders topically! I have read and read and read and feel I was informed enough to try it.
What is it you ask?
Aloe Vera Juice!
ahh!! Life is getting better!
Can you give us all details...like your symptoms prior and what it corrected for you

Also please share the brand I am eager and desperate to find happiness for my gut

5 weeks until surgery and all my docs can't seem to help me find the right mix of food
I have read every blog on this site and even all the other forums about diver
I am on a low residue , no dairy, no fiber diet, today was the day I was to try a canned vege low in fiber picked green beens and that is causing the stomach cramping and pain in the lower left side , extremely constipated and no BM's for a week and not much then, added stool softener last Wednesday and benefiber 10 days ago nothing is helping. I am drinking a ton of water and juices daily

I would appreciate an guidance

Thanks
I also can
I just want to get to my surgery date with no more relapses
Any help would be appreciated
I am on day 26 of flagyl and cipro 4 days IV and I am hoping some of this will subside when I am done with them only a few days left.
Lynn

Clarksville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Sorry all my I pad has a mind of it's own
MIke

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Lynn, really sorry to hear. That really sucks. I wish I had some advise.

A week? Wow. Is it possible you have some sort of blockage or partial blockage?

Have you tried the age old constipation remedy Prune Juice? I don't get constipated typically but I will use prune juice on occasion if I even remotely think my stool is getting hard. A tall glass of that makes sure I stay close to the bathroom for the next few hours. For me, the laxatives softeners have nothing on good old prune juice. The only thing that works even nearly as well is that nasty contrast you drink before a CT scan. However, the prune juice does not make me want to throw up.
mcb

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Does anyone here use Milk of Magnesia? I am not having as great a result as I once did with Miralax.
Gillian

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

Lynn, you sound just like I was for a few months before my surgery. It was the constipation that caused the discomfort a lot of the time, but Benefibre is no good for you as you are supposed to be on low fibre -I took a gentle laxative recommended by my doctor, I can't remember the name of it, but I am in the UK and it is probably named differently where you are. It was based on liquid paraffin.

When I got really badly constipated I used glycerine suppositories to help me 'go'- they really worked well and 'eased things along', so to speak.

Hang in there, not long to go now to the beginning of a much better life.
Gillian

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

Mike, prune juice is very good for people who have no damage to their colons. However, I had a partial/almost total blockage caused by scar tissue and my surgeon said to keep off it as it was too harsh and could potentially cause a perforation because of the pressure it could cause to build up behind the blockage.

I was waiting for surgery and kept getting very constipated, but he told me only ever to use stool softeners, GENTLE laxatives and suppositories if the stool was hard to pass.
Gillian

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

mcb, the problem with taking laxatives all the time is that the body becomes reliant upon them and you have to use stronger and stronger doses to get a result.

You should try to increase your fibre and fluid intake if at all possible, to get your body working on its own.

I'd have a word with your doctor if you are having problems ' going' all the time as there could be an underlying physical reason for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 3,061 - 3,080 of6,063
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

80 Users are viewing the Diverticulitis Forum right now

Search the Diverticulitis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) 1 hr Marilyn 1,911
Symptoms have returned after colon resection. 3 hr Don 26
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) 13 hr Betsy 670
New here 16 hr Gena 1
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) 21 hr glenda 4,320
Has anyone tried the Pain Free Foods Diet? 21 hr Jake 6
on no....took a laxative... Wed randi 1
•••
•••