Colon Wall Thickening as as Symptom o...

Colon Wall Thickening as as Symptom of Diverticulitis?

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jun 07

United States

#1 Jun 11, 2007
Just got word from the radiologist's report that there is some bowel wall thickening.

Is this a common occurnace with diverticulitis?

I swore I read it was, but can find no where to prove it.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Scott
lisa b

Orlando, FL

#2 Jun 11, 2007
YES it is Scott. That is one of the defining signs of a diverticulitis flare up. Once the inflammation goes down the bowel wall gets normal again. Repeated attacks of diver can make the bowel wall go the other way and can make it scarred and narrowed which makes surgery more of an option. Hopes this helps. lisa
scott G

Landenberg, PA

#3 Jun 27, 2011
Ihave the exact same findings with my bowel. I had a thickend bowel wall from repeated attachs of diverticulois that i did not know i was having. This can be a horrible way to live go see your Gi now.
marie

Ithaca, NY

#4 Jun 27, 2011
I had the same thing - CT scan report said "significant thickening throughout sigmoid colon". My colo-rectal doc said that happened from numerous diverticulitis infections over the years, most of which I never knew that I had. During the last year, my infections become more and more numerous. During the last few months, I would only be off the antibiotics for a week or 2 before the infection would come back. I finally decided to have the surgery. Am now about 10 days post-op.
Gillian

Croydon, UK

#5 Jun 28, 2011
Scott, most people who have diverticular disease will display some thickening of the colon wall. It is not all over -just in the section that has been affected by the diverticulitis.

Inflammation during an attack and thickening of the bowel wall are two completely different things. Inflammation goes down once the infection has gone - thickening is a permanent condition -they show up differently on scans/xrays and colonoscopies.

It is caused by scar tissue, inside the colon, developing over the site of a healed infection. The more attacks people have, the more thickened their colon wall is likely to become.

Sometimes it can cause symptoms that require surgery.

It develops on the inside of the colonic walls, therefore it can cause narrowing to such an extent that a partial or complete blockage happens.

If it becomes very thickened it can also become very rigid and the normal muscular contractions that push the waste along (peristalisis) no longer work efficiently along the affected length.

Both the above conditions can cause pain and an increase of attacks of diverticulitis due to increased likelihood of constipation and not being able to effect complete evacuation of the bowels. Obviously, a total blockage is life threatening and requires emergency surgery.

However, having said this, most people with signs of a thickened colonic wall have no symptoms whatsoever and no need of any treatment for it.

It is all a matter of severity.

It is, though, one of the classical physical signs that help in the diagnosis of diverticular disease.

Since: Mar 12

Denver, CO

#6 Mar 21, 2012
marie wrote:
I had the same thing - CT scan report said "significant thickening throughout sigmoid colon". My colo-rectal doc said that happened from numerous diverticulitis infections over the years, most of which I never knew that I had. During the last year, my infections become more and more numerous. During the last few months, I would only be off the antibiotics for a week or 2 before the infection would come back. I finally decided to have the surgery. Am now about 10 days post-op.
How many repeated episodes did you have before having surgery? How have you been since having surgery?
Julz

Richland, WA

#7 Mar 21, 2012
I had 3 in the last year but two were back to back. There are many on this site who have had more. I think in my case my last attack did major damage. I had the surgery March 12 and have not regretted it at all.
Tami

Chicago Heights, IL

#8 Apr 29, 2012
Julz wrote:
I had 3 in the last year but two were back to back. There are many on this site who have had more. I think in my case my last attack did major damage. I had the surgery March 12 and have not regretted it at all.
How long did it take to get over the surgery? How long were you in the hospital?
Julz

Richland, WA

#9 Apr 29, 2012
I had surgery on Monday was out Thursday afternoon. But I got an abscess a week later and was in the hospital for 3 days. But by the beginning of the third week I felt good just got tired easily but by week 4 1/2 I felt great. By week 5 I started walking on a treadmill. The first time I only lasted 10 minutes, then 30, now an hour. There isn't a day that I'm not thankful for having the surgery. I know that surgery seems so scary but everyone on this forum said focus on being DD free and it helped. What worries you? The surgery or recovery?
Rose

North Hampton, NH

#10 Apr 30, 2012
I am now 7 days post op and i too do not regret the surgery at all. I had chronic thickened sigmoid that was all stuck to my ovary and pelvic sidewall. No wonder i had pain with movement even when i was not infected. However, even when i appeared to be healthy (like we thought at surgery), turns outt i was infected and had an abscess too. I was definitely heading down a bad road. Nothing was curing my infections. The surgery wasnt as bad as i anticipated. I was in for 5 days due to a delay in my bowel function returning but i wasnt nauseous or sick witing for that to happen. I was lucky to have a surgeon that doesnt use NG tubes unless necessary so i didnt have that aggravation. The pan pump is your friend and i had mine for four days and an IV until 30 min before leaving. Ive been more sore at home than in the hospital but better every day. Mostly im just very easily fatigued. If this disease is taking over your lifr i highly recommend having the surgery if your doctor thinks its right for you.
Pat

Alpharetta, GA

#11 Aug 20, 2012
My mom's diverticulitis symptoms actually turned out to be a tumor (malignant) the size of a racket ball. Surgery was successful and she is recovering. Now we need to determine if the malignancy spread elsewhere. doctor was treating for diverticulitis for 5 months until she was so sick and in the ER twice in one week.
heather

Arvada, CO

#12 Sep 8, 2012
I too have thickening of my colon wall, due to diverticulitis. I have dealt with this disease since I was 12 or 13 (I'm now 26). The disease is getting worse and taking over my life. I find that if I am not an antibiotics I end up with an infection within 1-2 weeks. I am in the process of finding a surgeon who is willing to operate. I know that I will get my life back after surgery. In the meantime I honestly suffer.
Jggransom

Mechanicville, NY

#13 Oct 5, 2012
lisa b wrote:
YES it is Scott. That is one of the defining signs of a diverticulitis flare up. Once the inflammation goes down the bowel wall gets normal again. Repeated attacks of diver can make the bowel wall go the other way and can make it scarred and narrowed which makes surgery more of an option. Hopes this helps. lisa
NO IT DOES NOT GO AWAY -I HAVE IT AND AM HAVING SURGERY FOR THIS IT IS FROM REPEATED DIVERTICULITIS AS SAID.
Debbie

Phoenixville, PA

#14 Oct 7, 2012
Is it ok to Boston Market creamed spinancg if you had a diver attack a year ago?
Teresa

Denville, NJ

#15 Oct 12, 2012
My dad (81) has had bouts with diverticulitis for many years. Always went every year to his GI but was then told at 70 it was no longer necessary. He recently had a kidney stone and so he had a CT scan done which showed some thickening of the colon wall in 1 area. At the time of the CT scan he was very sick from the kidney stone and as a result was completely constipated for 3 days. He's doing great now but his doctor wants him to have a oolonoscopy. Of course, my first thought - the "C" word! Is it true that diverticulitis and inflammation can cause the colon wall to thicken? Thanks so much!
linda

Saint Marys, PA

#16 Dec 28, 2012
i had surgery 2 years ago having div for 42 years. my colon was infused in my uterus, i had a blockage and numerous abscess. I had the colostomey bag for a year. I finally got it reve3rsed, and was told by my doc i would never have div again. Ever since i had it reversed i am sick, and that was 11 months ago. i got 2 scat scans and i have thickening of the colon. an constantly on antibiotics. i have a appointment for a colonoscopy and i am hoping he can do surgery again. so you can still get div again, but its only 5%.
Yanina

Novi, MI

#17 Jan 3, 2013
Just had my firt bout with div. My doc said it was a mild case, but it didn't feel that way when I went to the ER. I was put on Cipro and Flagl. I am having an awful time with the antibiotics. I can't work and take these pills. I feel like I am being poisened. I still have four days to go on the meds. Is there an alternative?

Since: Nov 12

Matawan, NJ

#18 Jan 20, 2013
I also have colon wall thickening in the sigmoid-seen on many CAT scans(eight to be exact) but the majority of my pain is on my left side from rib to just below the hip in the front, but I also get a lot of back pain as well in the same areas . Evacuation is a process and getting more difficult as time goes on. Meds like Mirilax that make it easier to go now make it more difficult when I don't take them. None of my Drs ever said it was scar tissue though. they saw a twisted and tortuous colon and MRI's showed a rectal and bladder prolapse with some gyno issues as well.I had one successful colonoscopy that they needed to use the smallest scope possible to get past that section, but said the tissue looked healthy. Antibiotics do not help at all so what am i to make of all of this because i don't want to have surgery and have things get worse. Have seen so many Drs too with differing opinions so that just adds to my confusion.
Pam

Cookeville, TN

#19 Jul 15, 2013
How many repeated episodes did you have before having surgery? How have you been since having surgery?[

Recently diagnosed with diverticulitis. I haven't had bowel movements daily in the past but started on high fiber diet and normal daily movements since. I enjoyed reading your comment and since I have no symptoms. It appeared on a CT scan last month which I had for an abdominal aneurysm which is the priority right now.
Wondering about what type of symptoms you've had before surgery and assuming when you had these Symptoms ? Is when they put you on more antibiotics again. Your response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
New Jersey

Medford, NJ

#20 Jul 16, 2013
Yanina wrote:
Just had my firt bout with div. My doc said it was a mild case, but it didn't feel that way when I went to the ER. I was put on Cipro and Flagl. I am having an awful time with the antibiotics. I can't work and take these pills. I feel like I am being poisened. I still have four days to go on the meds. Is there an alternative?
Yanina: Welcome to DT. Sorry for your pain. Cipro and Flagy are standard treatment. Its miserable. So doctors will play with the meds but most won't. Many will allow you to stop the Flagy after 5 or 6 day and that helps somewhat. Ask

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colonscopy Prep Questions (Jul '10) 55 min Jan 111
News Diverticulitis Surgery Complications (Oct '11) 9 hr Nanakins65 381
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Sun Doug B 4,738
smouldering infection. (Feb '13) Sat jane2027 7
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Apr 20 Cat1858 2,693
Please read my prev post So afraid told needed ... Apr 17 Melony 7
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) Apr 17 mayers 752
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Apr 16 Bonneau 92
More from around the web