Just got diagnosed with Diverticuliti...

Just got diagnosed with Diverticulitis about 3weeks ago!

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

Since: Mar 10

Acworth, GA

#1 Mar 6, 2010
Well its unfortunate but I too just got diagnosed with Diverticulitis and have been so confused as to all the information I've been reading on the net. I am so glad I found this site.

I had a CT scan which confirmed that I have diver. I'm 33 so was really freaked out that I got it so young. I called my mom and asked her about it, turns out that she also has it and she is healthy as a horse. She also said that 9 out of 11 of my mom's uncles and aunts have died from diverticulitis. I understand that treatment and diagnosis was a lot different back then compared to now but from what my doc told me this is not supposed to be genetic. I come from an asian background so all family members have always had food that is high in fiber.

I do have a couple of questions, I've been on antibiotics for 2 weeks and just stopped yesterday and feel much better but have weird pains in my upper abdominal area in the center and on both sides as well. The pain on my lower left side was gone after a few days but my stomach is definitely still bloated because I still can't buckle up my jeans that are usually loose on me. Is this uncomfortable feeling normal and how long does it usually last? I also feel uncomfortable doing normal things like bending down to pickup my daughter or twisting in certain ways. My doc said that since I feel better and have been taking meds for 2 weeks I should be ok. I've got another week or so of meds left, wondering if I should continue just in case?

God I hope my life will somehow go back to normal and I will not be feeling like this for the rest of my life. The more I read the more nervous I get! Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance and even though I am sorry that every one of you have or have had Diver, I'm glad that you are here to help!
Angela

United States

#2 Mar 7, 2010
I am just now feeling better. I had a flare up that my body took care of without meds. it took 7 1/2 months. I have had a stinging pain for 10 months now. It is slowly going away.I use acidophilus everyday. It has seemed to help me. This is good cells that are already found in your lower intistine. My Dr. said Beneafiber was the best as far as she had found. I dont use fiber becasue it bloats me sssooo bad. I have cut the amount of food I eat at one time down real small and I eat alittle every 2 hours or so. I have cut out all red meat. Turkey taste the same in chilli and sauces. I havnt tried turkey bacon yet but I plan to.I will let you know. Just take it slow. It will take a WHILE to get over this.As far as the pain and flare up goes. Get mad,Get sad, Cry and Get over it. That is my motto. It is really hard somedays. Like tonight. I am having company. I plan to make cubed steack,cream potatoes and fried green beans. I love cubed steak. I hope I will be able to limit myself to just a taste. Wish me luck. I know it is hard. It is really hard when you have kids that are young. I know. I have a 4 and 6 year olds. You have to give your body time. It will take alot of time. I was told i had diver at 25. Ten years came and went with no problems what so ever. Then BAM. My first flare up. Ever since I have yet to be NORMAL. The flare up started in September09. I didnt go to the dr. I didnt have time. It took 7 1/2 months for my body to handle it. Then I went to get a colonoscopy. My diver is throught out my whole colon except one little peice. If I ever had to have it taken out. The dr said I have JUST enough not to be on a bag. But he could bet that the little bit will get it too. Take care. Go slow. Your body will need a alot of time to heal from the attack. THere is alot of info here.Everyone here knows your pain,worries and your wishes. We are here to listen and we are a shoulder to cry on. You are not alone. I think that has been the best thing for me to know. I hate that we all have this but I am glad I found youall. God bless you and I hope you get better soon. Remember go slow.
Joy

Fremont, CA

#3 Mar 7, 2010
Hi Samir, The antibiotics kill off both the good and bad bacteris so it is not unusual to have gas and bloating after taking them. You do need to get onto a good probiotic to replace the "good" bacteria as Angela says above. Also, stay with small portions and a low residue diet. There is good information on the Mayo Clinic website about low residue diets. The colon needs lots of rest to properly recover and fibre works the colon very hard by bulking the stool! Even though the lower left pain is gone I bet if you press hard on that area you will still feel pain... it takes quite a while to properly heal! Feel better soon, Joy
Tonya from Kentucky

Louisville, KY

#4 Oct 27, 2010
Hi all been reading everyones post on being diagnosed with diverticulitis. I was diagnosed Last Friday with a mild case of it according to my GI doctor who by the way is very nice. I had my first real bad attack first of October, out of nowhere, bad lower stomach cramp,with some bleeding. I have been diagnosed with anal fissure 4 years ago and a couple of hemorrhoids after babies. This div has floored me. I have not been this sick for years. I had various test, contrast enema, CT scan of belly area, blood test, etc. All came back normal with the exception of mild case of diverticulitis. My question, my doctor did not but me on anything, just said add more fiber, Did not say low fiber or high fiber diet. I am confused. So much information on here. Glad to know you guys are out there. Prayers for me OK. I am single, getting older and half to work, no one to support me but God...
Tracy

Ridgeland, MS

#5 Oct 27, 2010
Tonya from Kentucky wrote:
Hi all been reading everyones post on being diagnosed with diverticulitis. I was diagnosed Last Friday with a mild case of it according to my GI doctor who by the way is very nice. I had my first real bad attack first of October, out of nowhere, bad lower stomach cramp,with some bleeding. I have been diagnosed with anal fissure 4 years ago and a couple of hemorrhoids after babies. This div has floored me. I have not been this sick for years. I had various test, contrast enema, CT scan of belly area, blood test, etc. All came back normal with the exception of mild case of diverticulitis. My question, my doctor did not but me on anything, just said add more fiber, Did not say low fiber or high fiber diet. I am confused. So much information on here. Glad to know you guys are out there. Prayers for me OK. I am single, getting older and half to work, no one to support me but God...
Hi Tonya. So sorry you are going through this. I too had diver, but have had surgery and am doing well. One question. Did he say you had diverticulosis or diverticulitis? Diverticulosis is the disease and itis is the infection. If you had an infection, you need to be on antibiotics to get rid of it. Also you would need to be on a low residue diet. It is true with the disease that you need lots of fiber and water to help prevent future attacks. It is a miserable thing when you get the infections! It sounds like you might have been diagnosed with the disease, and not actually an infection. I pray not:) You may want to just follow with him or her to clarify. Any questions, just post. You are not alone with this disease. Take care and I will pray for your speedy recover. God Bless! Tracy
Jess

Newnan, GA

#6 Jun 10, 2014
28 with Diverticulitis. Eat right, workout, in good shape. I am so frustrated. A little scared. Thank you for all the information. My antibiotics stop in 5 days and I'm feeling better but I am scared I will have a another flare up. I've had one since my first episode on 4/28. Plannning on small meals and tons of water. Any other suggestions? Please suggest if you can. I've heard to not go too much fiber too quick which is why I think I flared up.
lmbeams

Fort White, FL

#7 Oct 9, 2015
Hello...I am 33 and was diagnosed with diverticulitis 3 days ago in the ER after a CT scan. I had a horrible attack and was prescribed antibiotics. They kicked in quick and I am feeling lots better. I went to my general practicioner today and found out I will need a colonoscopy done in a couple of weeks. I have a brother battling colon cancer right now, a sister who passed with an abdominal cancer 2 years ago, my mom passed with bladder cancer 8 years ago, and many people in my extended family who have battled or lost their life to cancer. Soo...I am also being referred to a geneticist to see if there is a reason for all these cancers in my family. Aside from all of that...I found out that I may have more flare ups...but I wasn't told to stick to a specific diet. What is a residue diet?? Will I be put under for a colonoscopy or heavily sedated?? I just had my 3rd and last child 6 weeks ago. I want to be around for a long time. Soo I want to know all I can and take care of myself to keep infections away. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diet After Bout of Diverticulitis (Feb '15) 2 hr easttxlady 7
Ecigs and diverticulitis 7 hr Steve 1
Hard Poop Balls (Dec '13) Sat Lilbuddynyc 13
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Sat applecake 1,450
Symptoms have returned after colon resection. (Jan '14) Jul 22 itsnancy 31
Heeeeelpme pain severe how long will it last (Feb '10) Jul 21 Muggs 46
First time post - Just diagnosed with chronic d... Jul 21 Suffer4Fashion 3
More from around the web