Post Surgery
RobinL

Stoneham, MA

#1 Jul 29, 2010
Hi Folks,

A while back I came to this site pre surgery for a colon resection. I hadn't been back to this site until today 7/29/10. Prior to my surgery there were 2 other ladies who were having surgery right around the same time as me. I'm terrible with names and I'm still searching around old chat strings to see if I can figure out their names. If you see my post here, please drop me a line and let me know how you are. We can share horror stories and discuss battle wounds. The surgery was what I had expected and recovery was what I had expected....extremely painful and humbling. I'm back to a normal diet and I can actually eat what I want, but I do refrain from certain things or eat them very sparingly. I had corn on the cob last night because it's in season and soooo soooo sweet. But that will be it for me for the year. Life is back to normal for the most part. Did anyone else have problems with the epidural catheta? I hated it and I have a pinched nerve in my back since, that's finally working it's way out. Anyone?

Thanks
Robin
Debra

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Aug 1, 2010
RobinL wrote:
Hi Folks,
A while back I came to this site pre surgery for a colon resection. I hadn't been back to this site until today 7/29/10. Prior to my surgery there were 2 other ladies who were having surgery right around the same time as me. I'm terrible with names and I'm still searching around old chat strings to see if I can figure out their names. If you see my post here, please drop me a line and let me know how you are. We can share horror stories and discuss battle wounds. The surgery was what I had expected and recovery was what I had expected....extremely painful and humbling. I'm back to a normal diet and I can actually eat what I want, but I do refrain from certain things or eat them very sparingly. I had corn on the cob last night because it's in season and soooo soooo sweet. But that will be it for me for the year. Life is back to normal for the most part. Did anyone else have problems with the epidural catheta? I hated it and I have a pinched nerve in my back since, that's finally working it's way out. Anyone?
Thanks
Robin
Hi Robin!! Believe I'm one of the two you're talking about.My surgery was May 28th and remember how frightened the 3 of us were. This was so much easier for me than the hysterectomy. Was in the hospital tho for 10 days. Got infection inside the staples so doc took them out and put me to open wound therapy.I didn't have the epidural--was that for pain? I still have pain though, do you? I'm afraid to hardly excercise--walking the best for me but that's on temp hold since the temperature's been 110+ here in Las Vegas, 100 degrees late night.Glad you're doing well. Life is back to normal for me too except for the pain.
Anonymous

Los Gatos, CA

#3 Aug 1, 2010
Hi Robin I am not one of the ladies. However, I did get reversal on June 18 and it's now six weeks and doing amazing! The first two weeks were hell after the reversal and I had caught a infection during surgery. But I am walking around the neighborhood, light exercise, eating and pooping with no problems. I don't get any pains or anything like that but I do get gas allot still. My bm is once or perhaps twice a day and normal YAY!:)
Alison

London, UK

#4 Aug 2, 2010
Hi All, had my surgery 25th May and am getting on ok. Every things seems to be going well although I do get aches and pains if I overdo things. Still eat a restricted diet becaue I have diverticular in other parts of my colon. Am so glad I had op (yes I remember how scared I was beforehand). Also realise how lucky I am to be in UK and not worry about the costs of being ill, feel really bad for people on here who cannot afford to go to docs. Hope we all continue to make good progress and to to anyone thinking about surgery - I know it is not a pleasant op but personally I am so glad I had it done.
RobinL

Stoneham, MA

#5 Aug 5, 2010
Hi Debra,

Glad to hear you're okay. I can't even imagine what an open wound recovery is like....yowza! It's amazing that digestively I feel great. Recently I ate corn on the cob and I had real problems with that. It took about 2 hrs to have real problems with it...I will NEVER eat it again. I just can't digest it. So those of you recovering from a resection....beware. I'm going to post another issue I have about Epidural catheta back problems. Yes, the Epidural was for the pain, but I wish I had never done that. I'm having big problems as a result of it and I absolutely hated it when I had it. My body was numb from my breasts to my toes. I could have been cut in half and I wouldn't have felt a thing. Scary stuff that Fentynal, I read that it is 80X stronger then morphine. I'm not really sure how accurate that is though.

Hi Alison,

Glad to hear you're making progress, it is a slow process. I have health insurance and most americans do. To give you broad figures, there's about 40 million who don't and our population is since a 2000 consensus is approximately 280 million people here in the US. Now the folks who don't have insurance are the ones who don't meet the financial criteria for free health care (i.e. they make too much money) Therefore, it's believed that they can financially afford premiums to carry insurance (which may not always be the case). This is all subject to change in the year 2014. If someone in this country has a medical emergency, then a person will receive treatment and just be billed....so there isn't anyone going without necessary care.

Hi Fitzhugh,

Glad to hear you're having normal BM's...hehe...I sorta cracked up when I read your post, it just struck me funny. Isn't it amazing with this disease that we can talk about such crappy subjects with ease. In my youth I would have been mortified...again, I've been humbled :)

Take care all,

Robin
Debra

Las Vegas, NV

#6 Aug 7, 2010
Hi Robin--Actually the open wound therapy healing wasn't bad at all so if anyone out there preparing for surgery hears those words, don't be alarmed. I'm glad my surgeon chose that route, I have one long slender scar with none of the staple marks.It heals same as staples if not quicker I was told.It was just a bandage with a tube sitting on top that pulled any fluid away into a small vacuum about the size of a fannypack that I carried around. The bandage got changed twice a week for six weeks.It was amzing to see how quickly the body heals itself.My insurance paid for a home nurse to come in to change it but a person could do it themselves.I just think all these surgeons should discuss with the patient what they want for pain management.I'm so glad I went the morphine/percocet route and not the epidural.My advice to anyone about to have surgery is make your surgeon have this conversation with you.Know the pros and cons and you make the decision. Good luck to all.
Debra
Snow White

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Aug 9, 2010
I have so many questions about the surgery:
How long did you have to stay out of work?
Did you have to go the short-term-disibilty route?
How long was your stay in the hospital?
Did you have to do the same "prep" as for a colonoscopy?
I am asking these questions because I think I am "doomed" to need the surgery sooner or later?
Plus, I am so tired of not being able to eat like normal people and I am tired of the "fear of eating".
I was in the hospital last year with my second bout of diver. The first one was not bad enough for me to go to the hospital; it was four months before my hospital stay. Almost a year to the day of my first hospitlization, I had my third attack; but, I knew to go on a liquid diet, walk a lot and go to the doctor. I was given flagyl and cipro, but I didn't take them.
So, I am wondering if I can stay out of the hospital in the future by going on a liquid diet as soon as I feel a flare up; or am I "doomed" for surgery sometime in the future.
Tracy

Ridgeland, MS

#8 Aug 9, 2010
Snow White wrote:
I have so many questions about the surgery:
How long did you have to stay out of work? I was off work for 5 weeks.
Did you have to go the short-term-disibilty route? Yes, mine kicks in after 30 calendar days.
How long was your stay in the hospital? 4 nights
Did you have to do the same "prep" as for a colonoscopy? Yes.
I am asking these questions because I think I am "doomed" to need the surgery sooner or later? I was,my attacks came closer together and were getting worse. The colonoscopy confirmed what a mess I was in. Remember, the only cure for this is to have the effected part of the colon removed. Otherwise, you are just treating the infections as they flare.
Plus, I am so tired of not being able to eat like normal people and I am tired of the "fear of eating". I understand. It got to where I was afraid of eating anything. It was awful.
I was in the hospital last year with my second bout of diver. The first one was not bad enough for me to go to the hospital; it was four months before my hospital stay. Almost a year to the day of my first hospitlization, I had my third attack; but, I knew to go on a liquid diet, walk a lot and go to the doctor. I was given flagyl and cipro, but I didn't take them.
So, I am wondering if I can stay out of the hospital in the future by going on a liquid diet as soon as I feel a flare up; or am I "doomed" for surgery sometime in the future.
Only you and your doctor can decide the best route for you. My attacks were coming closer together and getting harder to recover from. Colonoscopy confirmed the damage. If you can have the surgery in a non-emergent condition, it can be done laparascopically. I have very little discomfort. It was not near what I had thought it would be. Keep positive and ask your doc losts of questions. If I can be of any help, I'll be glad to answer any questions. I am almost 12 weeks post op and so glad I had the surgery. I have not felt this good in years!
Snow White

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Aug 9, 2010
Tracy~
Thank you so much for your reply. I don't know if I trust my doctor; after all,she is a surgeon and surgery is how she makes a living. I have learned so much from reading these posts and also from reading other articles online about diet, excercise,etc. that my doctor never told me about.
Tracy

Ridgeland, MS

#10 Aug 9, 2010
Snow White wrote:
Tracy~
Thank you so much for your reply. I don't know if I trust my doctor; after all,she is a surgeon and surgery is how she makes a living. I have learned so much from reading these posts and also from reading other articles online about diet, excercise,etc. that my doctor never told me about.
You need to feel good about your doctor. If you had any tests such as a CT scan or colonoscopy, it would be good to get an appointment with a GI doc. They are the pros. They can look at your tests, or order tests to determine the degree of your problem. I will say this for my surgeon, he double checked everything before he decided to do mine. My family doc actually is the one that recommended surgery due to the frequency and severity of my attacks. Good luck to you and keep us posted:)
Snow White

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Aug 10, 2010
Tracy wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to feel good about your doctor. If you had any tests such as a CT scan or colonoscopy, it would be good to get an appointment with a GI doc. They are the pros. They can look at your tests, or order tests to determine the degree of your problem. I will say this for my surgeon, he double checked everything before he decided to do mine. My family doc actually is the one that recommended surgery due to the frequency and severity of my attacks. Good luck to you and keep us posted:)
Thanks Tracy,
My GI doctor is a surgeon that is why I think she might be "surgery happy" LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) 5 hr Barbara 55
Could they be wrong? 6 hr Wondering Wilma 1
Top Tips For Living With Diverticular Disease Tue MargaritaS from CO 2
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Tue sheri 2,564
Recurrent diverticulitis after bowel resection (Sep '13) Mon MargaritaS from CO 21
1 year of constant pain May 22 lostinspace 5
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) May 22 BetsyJean 1,422
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) May 8 Brenda 4,654
More from around the web