Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#4370 Apr 29, 2014
glenda wrote:
<quoted text>hey larry baby..still here its me glenda,havent been on in a long time been so sick..well finally had a gi do a lower gi and guess what my colon is so restricted that its about the size of the tip of my pinky..so thats why i have been having all this pain for 2 yrs,man..so everytime i ate it could not pass could have blown out and then what trouble i would have .it cant understand why they let me suffer for so longo yea i didnt have insurance now i do and well they got some magic and found out what was going on,,glad i know whats up but now i cant find a doc thats wants to fix someone ele's mess..so im trying to find a new guy dam if im going back to those who put me here..im sorry that things sre not going so hot for you,we have had a long road hey buddy..one day well get it going good..im not looking forward to number 5 surgery in 2 yrs..but we gotta do what we can to get better..they say i might not have enough to fix,could end up with the bag for good,god i hope not..but if the pain stops well than is what it is..i pray that you can get better and one day we have happy notes on both ends..hug's always Glenda
Glenda I am glad they found out what is causing the pain and hope you can get it fixed soon
this new cancer is the worst yet I fell down today that sux all of my blood numbers are at the bottom but I am trying to make the best of it Again best wishes on getting that part fixed and no more pain God Bless and Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry
Marie

Long Beach, NY

#4371 May 2, 2014
I had a colon re-section 6 weeks ago I had not had any problems at all. I suddenly had a tremendous bleed for several days.. The colonoscopy showed cancer cells so they removed over 12 inches of colon, fortunately there were no cancer cells in the Nodes. I am so grateful that I did not need Chemo but needed many weeks of recovery. I am so happy to have found this thread as I have so many questions and found that many others seem to have the same concerns as I have. Mostly I wonder if this is going to be my new normal. I was having 7/8 BMs per day for the first few weeks after surgery, now I am much more uncomfortable with constipation. I have been taking Miralax and am now trying Colace with very little relief. I am very uncomfortable and find it difficult to go anywhere. I was a very active person prior and am very distressed that I cannot do all those things that I did before. The doctor said that it is important not to lift anything heavier than a bottle of mile as a hernia would put me right back in the hospital. I look forward to reading and learning and possibly helping someone else.
Marie
Cathy

Barre, VT

#4372 May 3, 2014
Marie wrote:
I had a colon re-section 6 weeks ago I had not had any problems at all. I suddenly had a tremendous bleed for several days.. The colonoscopy showed cancer cells so they removed over 12 inches of colon, fortunately there were no cancer cells in the Nodes. I am so grateful that I did not need Chemo but needed many weeks of recovery. I am so happy to have found this thread as I have so many questions and found that many others seem to have the same concerns as I have. Mostly I wonder if this is going to be my new normal. I was having 7/8 BMs per day for the first few weeks after surgery, now I am much more uncomfortable with constipation. I have been taking Miralax and am now trying Colace with very little relief. I am very uncomfortable and find it difficult to go anywhere. I was a very active person prior and am very distressed that I cannot do all those things that I did before. The doctor said that it is important not to lift anything heavier than a bottle of mile as a hernia would put me right back in the hospital. I look forward to reading and learning and possibly helping someone else.
Marie
Marie,
I'm 6 months post open resection, 16 inches of sigmoid removed. I've found my bowel movements were all over the place to begin with. 7-9 times a day, then constipated. I use benefiber in my coffe everyday and eat lots of fiber, exercise and drink water. If I notice my stools changing, or getting hard I use a stool softener as well. They have gotten more normal in the past few weeks, but before then, it was an ever changing situation. Good luck to you!

Since: Apr 13

Peoria, AZ

#4373 May 3, 2014
Marie wrote:
Marie
To ease the constipation I have been eating prunes a few times a day and I noticed it helped a lot the next day in having a normal BM. I have now been doing it for a few weeks and I'm back to a normal routine. I also take a probiotic and stool softener daily too. Hope this helps.
Tina

Sevierville, TN

#4374 May 5, 2014
This forum has been so helpful in my decision to have the elective surgery. Since 2008, I have been hospitalized four times and many in between hospital stays learned the pain and asked for cipro and flagel for flareups in between. That probably is why antiboics don't even give me a week free from pain and fevers. This last bout has scared me. I felt like I was going to pass out. Two weeks ago i was just released from the hospital for a real bad flareup and now the pain is back. I am on some more cipro and flagel, if I can keep it down. I am 45 and single mom of two girls. Live with my mom, which we all lost Dad 2012 to esphogeal cancer,This is why I just kept my DD at bay due and didn't do much about having the surgery because the stress the family was under, especially my girls..I have a large belly and found out today (no gi or previous gi told me before) that i have a hernia nothing to cause me pain or be concerned about. I had two c-sections, and guess maybe from that. From reading some posts you may have a hernia and nothing has to be done. I trust my surgeon and know he will do something if he has to.
As far as my surgery I have been told they will start lapri, but I am at a very high risk of having an open surgery, which can happen without the bag, as what I understood what the surgeron was explaining.
Can anyone explain, did I understand the Surgeon as open can happen without the bag? I don't know much about having the bag except, I don't want to, but I also know that at this point I am risking alot more by not having the surgery. Can someone share what it means to end up with the bag? Again, your posts are very helpful. I will go for my colon resectioning the 20th May.I am so ready to be doing well and have a chance at getting healthy, for my kids
Elizabeth

Altona, Australia

#4375 May 6, 2014
I am not sure why the bag is used, but I believe it is usually only tempory. It may depend on how much healing has to be done because of complicated surgery. Good luck and God bless. Keep trusting your surgeon, and don't delay too long having the operation, as the longer you wait the more complicated it may get.
All the best.
Tina

Sevierville, TN

#4376 May 6, 2014
Elizabeth wrote:
I am not sure why the bag is used, but I believe it is usually only tempory. It may depend on how much healing has to be done because of complicated surgery. Good luck and God bless. Keep trusting your surgeon, and don't delay too long having the operation, as the longer you wait the more complicated it may get.
All the best.
Thank you Elizabeth(that is my youngest girl's middle name), I am still hurting on my left side it's not getting worse or better. I really hope it doesn't delay the surgery as I feel like a slight fever. I don't like going to er's and I am ready to be done with this. I am here to say all of reading encourages me to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Diverculitis is not go away I fear all the things that can happen if it gets worse.. Did you have the surgery? Will they do the surgery if I am still hurting or having a fever? I go in next tue for the pretest. I wanted to be good and healty for this with everything taken care of at the house, I am over resting for me to still not feel all that great, I'm whinning, but this is a place where I guess I can. I just don't say much about it and take care of my family. Thanks again for responding.

Peoria, AZ

#4377 May 6, 2014
Tina wrote:
This forum has been so helpful in my decision to have the elective surgery. Since 2008, I have been hospitalized four times and many in between hospital stays learned the pain and asked for cipro and flagel for flareups in between. That probably is why antiboics don't even give me a week free from pain and fevers. This last bout has scared me. I felt like I was going to pass out. Two weeks ago i was just released from the hospital for a real bad flareup and now the pain is back. I am on some more cipro and flagel, if I can keep it down. I am 45 and single mom of two girls. Live with my mom, which we all lost Dad 2012 to esphogeal cancer,This is why I just kept my DD at bay due and didn't do much about having the surgery because the stress the family was under, especially my girls..I have a large belly and found out today (no gi or previous gi told me before) that i have a hernia nothing to cause me pain or be concerned about. I had two c-sections, and guess maybe from that. From reading some posts you may have a hernia and nothing has to be done. I trust my surgeon and know he will do something if he has to.
As far as my surgery I have been told they will start lapri, but I am at a very high risk of having an open surgery, which can happen without the bag, as what I understood what the surgeron was explaining.
Can anyone explain, did I understand the Surgeon as open can happen without the bag? I don't know much about having the bag except, I don't want to, but I also know that at this point I am risking alot more by not having the surgery. Can someone share what it means to end up with the bag? Again, your posts are very helpful. I will go for my colon resectioning the 20th May.I am so ready to be doing well and have a chance at getting healthy, for my kids
An ostomy bag can happen with our without open surgery. It all depends on what the surgeon finds when he or she goes in. I started out lapro, but ended up with open surgery, because of all the adhesions from my past c sections. My intestines had stuck to my abdominal wall, making my intestines twisted, and the diver pockets (your intestines are supposed to be loose, and always moving) were constantly getting infected. I did not need an ostomy bag. From my understanding, an ostomy bag is almost a given, if you have the surgery done in an emergency setting, due to an acute flare up. Then the intestines are so swollen and inflamed, it is hard for the surgeon to reconnect, to they use a temporary ostomy bag, to let the intestines heal, and then you go back into surgery a few months later, and have it reconnected. This is another reason why Dr's like to do this surgery electively, instead of an emergency. It almost eliminates the need for the bag.
Good luck to you on May 20th. I had my resection on Jan 7th, and I'm doing just fine. For the first time in a year I can eat what I want without fear of an attack. The recovery is not as bad as it seems, much better than an attack. You just have to give yourself time to heal.
Tina

Sevierville, TN

#4378 May 6, 2014
Cinzia wrote:
<quoted text>
An ostomy bag can happen with our without open surgery. It all depends on what the surgeon finds when he or she goes in. I started out lapro, but ended up with open surgery, because of all the adhesions from my past c sections. My intestines had stuck to my abdominal wall, making my intestines twisted, and the diver pockets (your intestines are supposed to be loose, and always moving) were constantly getting infected. I did not need an ostomy bag. From my understanding, an ostomy bag is almost a given, if you have the surgery done in an emergency setting, due to an acute flare up. Then the intestines are so swollen and inflamed, it is hard for the surgeon to reconnect, to they use a temporary ostomy bag, to let the intestines heal, and then you go back into surgery a few months later, and have it reconnected. This is another reason why Dr's like to do this surgery electively, instead of an emergency. It almost eliminates the need for the bag.
Good luck to you on May 20th. I had my resection on Jan 7th, and I'm doing just fine. For the first time in a year I can eat what I want without fear of an attack. The recovery is not as bad as it seems, much better than an attack. You just have to give yourself time to heal.
Thank you Cinzie, That is real helpful and hopeful. That is what I was wondering. That makes since to bear with it till surgery its for the better. I am so glad you recovered well, it was like a sigh relief your explaination and recovery.
cheryl

Regina, Canada

#4379 May 6, 2014
I had open surgery march 18..I never had to have a bag..I had a couple complications and had to stay in for two wks but I feel good now...I had such a good surgeon, I'm so thankful to her...I waited till I had no infection and she wanted me to heal really well...I had a few attacks with an absess and a perferation...hope it goes well for you..
Tina

Sevierville, TN

#4380 May 6, 2014
cheryl wrote:
I had open surgery march 18..I never had to have a bag..I had a couple complications and had to stay in for two wks but I feel good now...I had such a good surgeon, I'm so thankful to her...I waited till I had no infection and she wanted me to heal really well...I had a few attacks with an absess and a perferation...hope it goes well for you..
Thank you Cheryl for responding, I am accepting what needs to happen and am preparing for what I can, I guess that is life general. you don't know what tom brings. I am glad to have faith and believe in the power of prayer. The more I read all the success stories, the more hope I know there is for a healthy recovery, and feeling better. Thank you, I am so glad you feel good now.:-)

Peoria, AZ

#4381 May 7, 2014
Tina wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Cinzie, That is real helpful and hopeful. That is what I was wondering. That makes since to bear with it till surgery its for the better. I am so glad you recovered well, it was like a sigh relief your explaination and recovery.
Yeah, it is always better to go into this type of surgery electively. This way, there is no inflammation and swelling, and the resection goes much easier. Also, you run the risk of a perforation or an abscess. I had that happen to me on my last flare up. I was hospitalized for two weeks, and it took 3 months at home after, to get better. I had the surgery after that, and I really do feel much better. I found a wonderful board certified colorectal surgeon, and I got my life back. You will too. Post anytime you feel you just need to talk, too, take care. We have all been where you are today.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#4382 May 7, 2014
Well friends the time has come to start saying my good byes
Dr. told me i have a year or less to live so I sure hope my next life will be a nice one the lukimia is ggoing to be taking my life away from me soon thanks to all that have befrenindedd me here over the last few years and always remember God Loves us and always have one of my teddy bear hugs to make you feel better

Love Larry
John

New Zealand

#4383 May 8, 2014
Marie wrote:
Marie
Yes Marie. DO NOT LIFT ANYTHING HEAVY! I thought I was ok but after about a month I noticed a small bulge on the scar which has now developed into a largish incisional hernia which will have to be repaired. I wear a belt which helps, but BE CAREFUL! Good luck with your recovery.

Peoria, AZ

#4384 May 8, 2014
TheRaz Stuart Fl wrote:
Well friends the time has come to start saying my good byes
Dr. told me i have a year or less to live so I sure hope my next life will be a nice one the lukimia is ggoing to be taking my life away from me soon thanks to all that have befrenindedd me here over the last few years and always remember God Loves us and always have one of my teddy bear hugs to make you feel better
Love Larry
So sorry to hear that. I have followed your posts, and hoped for a better outcome. May God bless you.
Deb

Columbus, OH

#4385 May 8, 2014
glenda wrote:
<quoted text>hey larry baby..still here its me glenda,havent been on in a long time been so sick..well finally had a gi do a lower gi and guess what my colon is so restricted that its about the size of the tip of my pinky..so thats why i have been having all this pain for 2 yrs,man..so everytime i ate it could not pass could have blown out and then what trouble i would have .it cant understand why they let me suffer for so longo yea i didnt have insurance now i do and well they got some magic and found out what was going on,,glad i know whats up but now i cant find a doc thats wants to fix someone ele's mess..so im trying to find a new guy dam if im going back to those who put me here..im sorry that things sre not going so hot for you,we have had a long road hey buddy..one day well get it going good..im not looking forward to number 5 surgery in 2 yrs..but we gotta do what we can to get better..they say i might not have enough to fix,could end up with the bag for good,god i hope not..but if the pain stops well than is what it is..i pray that you can get better and one day we have happy notes on both ends..hug's always.glenda
Glenda,
I haven't been on in so long and thought I would see what is going on...and low and behold you are on here. I can't believe what all you have been through maybe you will finally get some help now!
glenda

Dania, FL

#4387 May 8, 2014
well i dont come here often anymore but just came to see how you all are doing im sad to hear about larry after all he has been through,im going to see a new surgeon on the 15 of this month hope to god he can help me its been a long hard road..im hoping for the best not looking foward to a nother surgey but a life of pain is no fun either..see some talking about hernias..i had 2 the last they put mesh in and i have been in pain ever since..so plz dont lift or do any thing other than rest and take it lite for at least 6-8 weeks it happend to me twice and full blown cut all the way down agianso becareful people plz..all take care be back after i see my new doc let you all know how it goes
Tina

Sevierville, TN

#4388 May 8, 2014
Well, I had to go back into the hospital, flare up would not go away with antibotics. Good news is I can still have the surgery on the 2oth. I was so frustrated feeling like I ate or did something wrong. I am doing the low residue till the 20th, one more week of cipro/flagyl and getting things in order. Choosing elective for me is so empowering, realizing, that focusing on doing the best I can with all of my instructions gives me a goal of getting rid of this disease with a healthy recovery.
Tina

Sevierville, TN

#4389 May 8, 2014
I meant would not go away with four days oral treatment, had to stay the night to go back on the iv, also was dehydrated again. Feeling better praying for no more flareups
John

New Zealand

#4390 May 9, 2014
Tina wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Cheryl for responding, I am accepting what needs to happen and am preparing for what I can, I guess that is life general. you don't know what tom brings. I am glad to have faith and believe in the power of prayer. The more I read all the success stories, the more hope I know there is for a healthy recovery, and feeling better. Thank you, I am so glad you feel good now.:-)
Hi. Thought I would add my bit. Mine was a right Hemicolectomy and an emergency with some perforation well away from the tumour. I didn't need a bag or any chemo etc. but I did develop an infection and possibly as a result of that, now have an incisional hernia to deal with. It will need further surgery. But all is going well otherwise after 6 months. I can and do eat anything I like and BM's are reasonable - one or two a day. You will be just fine!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diverticulitis flare after sigmoid colectomy 11 hr Cielo 28
Colonscopy Prep Questions (Jul '10) 14 hr Dallas 89
Everything started after losing weight! 22 hr bob 5
A positive colon resection story 23 hr Helenmac 2
Young with Diverticulitis Sat Elizabeth 3
Carbohydrates (Jan '14) Sat shaid123 9
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Fri NJ John 1,123
More from around the web