ladyrae

North Olmsted, OH

#4086 Nov 24, 2013
TheRaz Stuart Fl wrote:
To all of my fiends
Hope that the end of 2013 will find it's way to reliving our Pain and that 2014 will be Pain Free for all God Bless and TheRaz Teddy Bear Hugs all around
Next Tuesday I shall be 65 << an Old Fart >> Nov 26th made it to Medicare time even that I do not need it as the VAMC takes good care of me
Larry
Happy Birthday early !!!
Elizabeth

Lyndhurst, Australia

#4087 Nov 24, 2013
Happy Birthday Larry! Hope your day is calm and happy. God bless. Hope there are many around to give you those gorgeous hugs.
Vikki g

Feltham, UK

#4088 Nov 26, 2013
I had my resection 3 years ago two parts of my bowel were removed 4" from my sigmoid colon and the part of the bowel that gives you the feeling you need to go ! I still don't have normal motions I still have pain and i have to guess when I need the loo or wait for the pain to tell me ! I pass almost nothing , have to eat very little and feel unwell most of the time , I have been told the next time I go in for surgery I will end up with a colostomy ! Of course this is something I would like to avoid as I'm only 39. Hope this helps .
Kim

Kennesaw, GA

#4089 Nov 27, 2013
Hi Larry, Hope you had a wonderful Birthday! You have been an inspiration to many on this site and continue to be! We have fallen in love with your Teddy Bear hugs and hope you received lots of them on your 65th Birthday!

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#4090 Nov 27, 2013
To: all thanks for the kind birthday wishes. I hope all will enjoy there Turkey tomorrow. even my friends out side of the USA hope you also have a Special day

God Bless all. And My Teddy Bear Hugs
and Hi 5^ to the men here

Larry
Kelly

Ukiah, CA

#4091 Nov 29, 2013
Cathy wrote:
I still have lots of hard lumps under my incision, I had open surgery 4 weeks ago. Did anyone else have this experience, how long before those hard areas go away?
Cathy- I also had resection 4 weeks ago. I have a soft bulge above my incision and a small hard lump at the base of my incision. I had an ultrasound this week and still waiting for results... but the doctors have all told me its very normal for our bodies to produce buildups of fluid to protect the trauma areas. The research ive done shows strange lumps and bulges are pretty normal. if you're concerned, you should ask your doctor for an ultrasound. its an easier way to see whats going on under the skin without blasting you with radiation.
Deb

Mason, MI

#4092 Nov 30, 2013
Yea, Kelly, that hard bump should go away gradually. I had the same thing around my belly button, where the incision ended. It eventually went away, but I can't remember how long it took (probably only a few weeks). I know at about two months, I was feeling almost back to normal.

Glad to hear you're doing well after your surgery!
Cathy L

Waterford, MI

#4093 Dec 3, 2013
Hi All -- I'm new to this forum, and I'm happy to share my first hand experience. I'm 60 years old and I had 18 inches of my colon removed on Nov 6 due to diverticulosis, so I'm 4 weeks out from my surgery. I'm not gonna lie…I was petrified before the surgery! I had never heard of this kind of surgery and was scared sick just thinking about it. But I'm here to give hope to whoever is awaiting their surgery and feeling apprehensive like I was a few short weeks ago.

The surgery was routine, and done laproscopically. Recovery was pretty typical, lots of pain immediately following the surgery due to the extent of adhesions in my pelvis caused by my diverticular disease, but it was comfortably managed with a morphine pump. I followed my surgeon's direction and took many walks down the hospital corridors, aided by my husband, and firmly believe that helped with not only getting my colon moving again, but speeding up my recovery time. The first day after surgery I was given soft foods, and the next day I was on a regular diet. I spent 4 days in the hospital. At this point I'm very happy to report that I'm feeling wonderful! My incisions have all healed very nicely, the discomfort is gone, and my bowel habits are almost back to "normal" (actually, I haven't been normal for so long that I'm not sure what my new normal will be, but so far, all is well).

I'm here to tell anyone who is awaiting their surgery to keep an open mind. Not every experience is a bad one, and I'm living proof. If I had to do it over again, I would do it in a heartbeat. After living with diverticular disease for so long, I had forgotten how wonderful life can be. The few weeks of discomfort following the surgery have been well worth the new quality of life that lies ahead.

I wish you all good health, and hope that someday you can add your post-surgery success stories on here also!

Happy Holidays!~~ Cathy L
mary

Port Jervis, NY

#4094 Dec 6, 2013
Hi, I had a colon resection done on Oct. 16, 2013. I had bad back pain in the recovery room and they attributed that to laying on the OR table. Well its Dec. 5 now and the back spasms are crazy. Is it from not using the muscles? The pain comes and goes. I will be brushing my teeth and reach for a cup and wham.....spasm. It is driving me nuts. I really am healing well and feel good otherwise. anyone else get the back spasms
Lynn

Chicago, IL

#4095 Dec 6, 2013
Mary,

The pain in your back could be from taking Cipro or one of the other antibiotics before your surgery. I had a problem in my left shoulder after my colon resection surgery, which I've always believed was due to taking Cipro for a few months, and the pain lasted for about 10 months, until I went to a chiropractor five times within a week. That fixed the problem, and I've had no more problems with my shoulder since then.

Here's one of the symptoms of Cipro, taken from the rxlist.com site:

Sudden pain, snapping or popping sound, bruising, swelling, tenderness, stiffness, or loss of movement in any of your joints
Kelly

Ukiah, CA

#4096 Dec 7, 2013
does anyone else post surgery still get pains around the incision site? I have open colectomy on Nov 1st and was feeling great for awhile. But within the last few days, some areas around the incision has become pretty painful. NO swelling or discharge, just tender. I am wondering if its because I started wearing jeans again and the waistband rubs against the incision. But it hurts a lot. I had my post-op apt with the surgeon 2 days and he said everything looks good, so I am trying not to panic.
Cathy

Barre, VT

#4097 Dec 7, 2013
I had open surgery on 10/24, I still have pain at the incision site as well.i started wearing jeans lately too, the pain almost feels like a bruise so maybe it is from the jeans. I had an infection as well, so I think I still have fluid under the incision. I think the pain is probably pretty normal at this stage.
Lynn

Matawan, NJ

#4098 Dec 7, 2013
To avoid the top of your jeans rubbing the sensitive area around the belly button (which takes a long time to completely heal), place a folded piece of soft material between your jeans and your belly button. This will help a lot to avoid extra pain in that area. I wore a folded piece of sweatpant material for two years after my surgery, and it really helped.

Since: Apr 13

Peoria, AZ

#4099 Dec 15, 2013
Cathy L wrote:
Hi All -- I'm new to this forum, and I'm happy to share my first hand experience. I'm 60 years old and I had 18 inches of my colon removed on Nov 6 due to diverticulosis, so I'm 4 weeks out from my surgery. I'm not gonna lie…I was petrified before the surgery! I had never heard of this kind of surgery and was scared sick just thinking about it. But I'm here to give hope to whoever is awaiting their surgery and feeling apprehensive like I was a few short weeks ago.
The surgery was routine, and done laproscopically. Recovery was pretty typical, lots of pain immediately following the surgery due to the extent of adhesions in my pelvis caused by my diverticular disease, but it was comfortably managed with a morphine pump. I followed my surgeon's direction and took many walks down the hospital corridors, aided by my husband, and firmly believe that helped with not only getting my colon moving again, but speeding up my recovery time. The first day after surgery I was given soft foods, and the next day I was on a regular diet. I spent 4 days in the hospital. At this point I'm very happy to report that I'm feeling wonderful! My incisions have all healed very nicely, the discomfort is gone, and my bowel habits are almost back to "normal" (actually, I haven't been normal for so long that I'm not sure what my new normal will be, but so far, all is well).
I'm here to tell anyone who is awaiting their surgery to keep an open mind. Not every experience is a bad one, and I'm living proof. If I had to do it over again, I would do it in a heartbeat. After living with diverticular disease for so long, I had forgotten how wonderful life can be. The few weeks of discomfort following the surgery have been well worth the new quality of life that lies ahead.
I wish you all good health, and hope that someday you can add your post-surgery success stories on here also!
Happy Holidays!~~ Cathy L
Thanks, I am having surgery in Jan, and I too, am very apprehensive. I felt better after reading your post. I'm 62, and have always been very active, and for the past year I have been miserable with what seems like constant diverticulitis pain. I had two serious flare ups, which landed me in the hospital, the last one, in Sept, for over 2 weeks. I was determined to get better, so I could have elective surgery, instead of emergency, to avoid a colostomy bag. I have pain on and off now, seems like slight inflammation, so I have some meds in the house that I have been taking. They make me feel more sick. I really want my life back, and it was so good to read about your story. I hope mine goes as well. I've never been sick or had a condition before this started. I was diagnosed in 2011, and my first flare up was last Dec.
So happy you can enjoy the Holiday season. Cant wait for that again!!
Lynn

Chicago, IL

#4100 Dec 15, 2013
Mare K,

Lose the Metamucil and cut back on the raw veggies for a while (eat some high water content foods with them), and you should notice that your hemorrhoids will start to heal up and disappear, causing you much less pain. The extra fiber, especially the Metamucil, is probably causing your problem. I've had the same problem at times in the past, usually when eating too much fiber, which can be very irritating to the rectal area. This is what I do to solve the problem (except I never take over the counter fiber products, like Metamucil).
Lynn

Chicago, IL

#4101 Dec 15, 2013
My post to Mare K was intended for a different thread, but the "back" button that was accidentally pressed prevailed, and it got posted here, instead.
John F

Clovis, CA

#4102 Dec 18, 2013
I'd like to echo Cathy L's experience. While there is lots of uncertainty and a wide range of post op experiences, not all of them are bad (for those contemplating diverticulitis colon resect surgery). My surgery was 3 ½ months ago - removed 18 inches - and after just a few weeks of irregular BMs, things settled down pretty well. I actually returned to a normal diet in the hospital and have been taking Citrocel 2X/day with regular morning eliminations. My wife and I just returned from an 18 days photo tour of New Zealand and I had only a couple of days during the trip where I needed to visit rest rooms more than in the morning for other than urination. I'm 69 and in good health, other than periodic recurrent bouts with low level bladder cancer. Glad to be able to report that the resect surgery was a big positive for me and recovery is possible. Suffering is a real thing and most of us who post here have tasted at least a bit. I do urge those in pain to persist in seeking solutions. Don't give up. Holiday blessings and best wishes to the followers of this forum.
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#4103 Dec 21, 2013
Just wishing you all a happy and pain free Christmas, and may the New Year bring lots of good health and happiness.

Cinzia, I had surgery two days before my 70th birthday. I have experienced the usual ups and downs of most of us on the forum, but am happy to say that I am back to normal, or whatever normal is at the age of 73! Healthy, a bit of arthritis, a grandmother's status of looking after grandkids, gardening, cooking, having Christmas at my place with eleven others, and generally being ordinary.
I do recommend a good walk every day, to keep the muscles from seizing up.
God bless you all.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#4104 Dec 24, 2013
To: All Wishing you a very merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Pain free Teddy Bear Hugs and God Bless all of us

Larry
NJ John

Cherry Hill, NJ

#4105 Dec 24, 2013
TheRaz Stuart Fl wrote:
To: All Wishing you a very merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Pain free Teddy Bear Hugs and God Bless all of us
Larry
God Bless You, Larry, for your words of support and encouragement to all of us!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) 19 hr sherie 2,251
Has anyone else had this problem? Thu TammyRH02 1
Diarrhea 6 months post colon resection (Sep '08) Wed kitten 223
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Wed Anne 876
Belly button after surgery Wed marilyn 9
1 week post op , so many questions please help!!!! Nov 18 Prime_Beef 11
just diagnosed Nov 17 cammie 6

Diverticulitis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE