Kelly

Kodak, TN

#3985 Sep 20, 2013
Everyone heals differently. I'm no physician, but....I had problems for decades. It started when I was 26. If anything upset me the diarrhea took over my life. I could control, hold until I made it to the bathroom. In early 2000- 2003, I lost all control of my bowels. Life can be very hard to accept, at least it has been for me.
I had the "take down" procedure, from just below breastbone to pubic line. Had small colon, appendix and some intestine removed. It was hell for me. I waited too long and my health was so weakened from being sick so long. The only advice I offer, do NOT attempt to gauge your progress or lack thereof, by anyone else. that can get you in a deep, dark place. We're all different.
Deb

Columbus, OH

#3986 Sep 22, 2013
Surgery has been moved to tomorrow morning at 730am. So my 2 1/2 years of pain after my resection "might" me over...don't know. Very anxious...very nervous. Won't know till I wake up if he does it lapro or has to open me up to remove all of the adhesions. Cross your fingers everyone. Will be in touch later.
mare k

Toms River, NJ

#3987 Sep 22, 2013
Deb wrote:
Surgery has been moved to tomorrow morning at 730am. So my 2 1/2 years of pain after my resection "might" me over...don't know. Very anxious...very nervous. Won't know till I wake up if he does it lapro or has to open me up to remove all of the adhesions. Cross your fingers everyone. Will be in touch later.
Good luck to you Deb. Hope all goes well. One of the best pain meds is dilaudid given through IV..it stops the pain immediately ( it did for me). I had my resection last Monday and was out on Friday.

Keep us posted when you can. Wishing you a successful surgery !

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3988 Sep 22, 2013
mare k wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck to you Deb. Hope all goes well. One of the best pain meds is dilaudid given through IV..it stops the pain immediately ( it did for me). I had my resection last Monday and was out on Friday.
Keep us posted when you can. Wishing you a successful surgery !
On the Dilaudid, instead of getting thru your IV, ask for a PCA pain pump. You can control the amount of meds you get. I had one for 4 days and it was great. When the give the meds thru the IV you get a large dose (nausea) that is to last hours, when you have a PCA, you get a micro dose (no nausea) that you can give yourself every 10 minutes or so.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#3989 Sep 22, 2013
My dose through my PCA was .8 ml of Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) a dose and I could push the button every 8 minutes
Deb

Mason, MI

#3990 Sep 22, 2013
Best of luck to you, Deb! I sure hope you'll feel back to normal this time!
Moe

Mattoon, IL

#3991 Sep 22, 2013
Judy,
I had the same issue, my primary care doc told me not to have the surgery done, I was too young and it would have to be done several times through my life if I did it this early. I finally told my surgeon and I said "My primary care doc is not in agreement, would you please talk with him?" He did and I was scheduled for surgery. I am SO glad I had it done! I feel so much better. My primary care doc was going on old information since it's not his specialty.
I did have a complication, but I am still glad that I had the surgery, I feel so much better!
Moe
Judy wrote:
I have been told that I should have a resection done. I have had numerous diverticulitis attacks and am sick and tired of the pain, bloating, antibiotics. My surgeon seems to think that I should have the operation but my family dr. called my to see if I would see another surgeon for a second opinion. This whole thing is making so nervous. My operation is scheduled for Sept 25/13.
All I would like to know is if people are happy or not that they had the operation. Scared silly
Mike P

Bronx, NY

#3993 Sep 22, 2013
I had the surgery back in 2005 I woke up with massive pain, vomiting, and fever. I needed emergency surgery. I had colostomy bag and the few months later it was time for reversal. Its now 2013 and I still have issues today. I developed acid reflux and certain foods I eat give me diarrhea. I still have incision pain. Anyone experience this same issue?
glenda

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3994 Sep 23, 2013
Deb wrote:
god deb im praying for you i hope it all goes well be stong this might be it for you and you can get back to having a normal life again..hoping that i too will soon get it through the docs. heads that they have to do something for me livivg in pain day after day is hard.god be with you my friend.
glenda

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3995 Sep 23, 2013
Mike P wrote:
I had the surgery back in 2005 I woke up with massive pain, vomiting, and fever. I needed emergency surgery. I had colostomy bag and the few months later it was time for reversal. Its now 2013 and I still have issues today. I developed acid reflux and certain foods I eat give me diarrhea. I still have incision pain. Anyone experience this same issue?
mike im sorry to hear that your going through this,i had my last resection may/11 and have not been the same since..im not going to go into all the troubles i have had but diarrhea reflux pain trouble with almost all food except bland and liquids,i could never eat well since.trouble that i have yet to get straitend out..what does your doc say are you still seeing one for any of this?i only eat bland foods still on pain meds most of the time and im now having trouble with the hiatal hernia its so bad its making me feel like im having a heart attack.even if i eat one thing that has any flavor what so ever it starts acting up my whole stomach.nevr was the same after the surgery.that being said i hope you are able to see a doc. im in a bit of a mess at this time with out insurance so that leaves me doctoring myself witch is not working so well for me. but im still here so gotta keep fighting till i get better one day i hope i hope good luck to you hope you can get to see someone about it you should..

Since: May 13

Cicero, IN

#3996 Sep 25, 2013
TheRaz Stuart Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well went to see Cancer Dr. on the 4th he said blood work all looked good. had bacteria in bladder so he gave me some pills for that. have to go and see my PC Dr. on the 23nd of Sept. I still have mild pain in the right side where they removed my colon. BTW thanks also for asking how I am doing. Did have some very bad news Aug 31st My best friend in the world passed away from accentual carbon monoxide posing he did not commit suicide.
Well I hope this message finds all of my friends in good health God Bless and Teddy Bear Hugs all around
Larry :-)
Hi Larry!
How'd your appt go?
Take care,
jen

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3997 Sep 25, 2013
Hi jen

well My PC Dr. said I am doing pretty good for the shape I am in gave me some refills on pills that expired
and no new ones. Checked pee. to see if I still have bacteria in it next appt. with him is in March 2014 next one with Cancer dr. is Oct 9th 2013
that one is ever 5 to 6 weeks to flush my port and have blood drawn So I hope this note finds all of my friends in good health

God Bless and Teddy Bear Hugs all around

Larry
bruce from sydney aust

Chipping Norton, Australia

#3998 Sep 25, 2013
Just got onto this website for the first time. Had a couple of bouts and hospitalisation relating to diverticulitis and I am to have portion of bowel cut out either last week of October or first week of November. Am very apprehensive regarding the procedure and recovery. Am booked to travel to eastern Europe about 5/6 weeks after procedure. What do you think are the chances. I am 67 years of age.
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#3999 Sep 26, 2013
Hi Bruce. I had surgery three days before my 70th birthday. I felt quite good at six weeks, but still had bouts of multiple bm's. This may have been food related, the tummy has to work out a bit to find out what it can do after a section has been removed! I'd say be optimistic, and go, but take protective underclothing with you. It is not embarrassing, and no one but you know what you are wearing. You may still have some wind too, but as an aunt of mine said once, "Pretend it did'nt happen!"
Lee

Syracuse, NY

#4000 Sep 26, 2013
Hi Everyone, Hange in there. I had my diverticulitis surgery on 11/29/12 and the best decision I ever made and only wish I did it sooner. I'm still working out certain things and can be tough some days but getting better every day.
Mark

Wilmington, DE

#4001 Sep 26, 2013
Lee wrote:
Hi Everyone, Hange in there. I had my diverticulitis surgery on 11/29/12 and the best decision I ever made and only wish I did it sooner. I'm still working out certain things and can be tough some days but getting better every day.
Can I ask your age ? Iam getting ready to make an appt. for surgery and with all the bad Iam hearing ,was curious how old EVERYONE is that got surgery.
Vickie

Decatur, AL

#4002 Sep 26, 2013
it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I mean it hasn't been a walk in the park, but like yourself I was terrified to have it done. I had multiple diverticulitis attacks and they were afraid that I would have an abscess that would burst. They told me it would be a lot worse surgery and recovery if that happened. I was so tired of the pain and taking the nasty antibiotics too. My advice to you and everyone else is to have the surgery done. I still have along way to go before I am back to "normal" but I feel south better already. Just be sure and do exactly what the doctor tells you and you will be fine. I also had a morphine block before surgery which I think helped a great deal. I also had the diladiud (sp?) pump as well and only had to use it twice. I had surgery on Thursday and was home on Sunday. I wish you a successful surgery and will be praying for you. Let me know how you are doing. I am 48 years old.
bruce from sydney aust wrote:
Just got onto this website for the first time. Had a couple of bouts and hospitalisation relating to diverticulitis and I am to have portion of bowel cut out either last week of October or first week of November. Am very apprehensive regarding the procedure and recovery. Am booked to travel to eastern Europe about 5/6 weeks after procedure. What do you think are the chances. I am 67 years of age.
Betty D

Carson City, NV

#4003 Sep 27, 2013
Since the bowel resection is voluntary tratment for diverticulitis, would you do it again????
NJ John

Raleigh, NC

#4004 Sep 28, 2013
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Can I ask your age ? Iam getting ready to make an appt. for surgery and with all the bad Iam hearing ,was curious how old EVERYONE is that got surgery.
Mark, I was 52.
bonnie

Uniontown, PA

#4005 Sep 28, 2013
I am so sorry for all who aren't well, I know I had it done 2 years in Jan...NO PROMBLEMS...just a few days I was constipated...my bowel still changes from day to day...but no pain...I had a really good doctor...I had like 5 doctors come in the hospital through the years ..telling me I would need a bag...I said then NO WAY.... This dr ..no bag what so ever ...so it does depend on the doctor ..so just find the right doctor..so nice not to be scared of flair-ups...god bless all of you...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sigmoid Colectomy for Diverticular Disease 20 min NikkiS87 1
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) 2 hr marby 712
Has anyone tried the Pain Free Foods Diet? (Dec '13) 6 hr Jedro 29
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Fri applecake 938
severe nausea and vomiting after bowel resection Fri Jana 9
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Fri aBrightlife 2,279
Ileostomy or the pouch? Thu sherie 2
More from around the web