Comments
3,761 - 3,780 of 4,459 Comments Last updated 12 hrs ago
Kerri

Margate, Australia

#3805 Jun 13, 2013
Had my 2 week checkup post resection with my surgeon yesterday. Happy with my progress. Commented again what a mess it was and almost had to ditch the laproscope and cut me open. His advice was that i use benefibre like i would take blood pressure medication so i dont end up with dd again. Said it was better than metamucil as less bloating, and that i would know i am getting the correct amount of fibre. So i have started it today, dont ever want to be told i have dd again. Good news was i dont need another colonoscopy for 5 years. Feeling good but a little bored, doesnt want me to go back to work next week.
Stuart

Mountain Home, AR

#3806 Jun 14, 2013
Woke up at 5AM this morning with this disgusting, bloated feeling. Felt compelled to take a dulcolax. Is this ever going to end?
Desiree

Sunset, LA

#3807 Jun 14, 2013
Stuart wrote:
Woke up at 5AM this morning with this disgusting, bloated feeling. Felt compelled to take a dulcolax. Is this ever going to end?
Feeling the same my stomach and lower abdomen are swollen
Stuart

Mountain Home, AR

#3808 Jun 15, 2013
It's just so discouraging because you just don't know if there's ever going to be an end. My doctor said to me, in regards to my digestion, that it would work itself out over a couple of years. That's a frustrating thought. Even though I have a bm every day, it seems like not enough is moving through my system, so little by little I'm getting backed up.

Also, I've been getting this dull, temporary pain in my left lower back when I eat. Anybody else have anything like that? Also, my insides are constantly making these loud gurgling sounds. And while there's really not any significant pain or anything, I just feel gross all the time.

I just want to know if there are people who experienced this stuff as far out as four months (which is where I am) and it got better eventually or didn't. I wish there were more long termers checking this forum. If I survive all this, I'll definitely come back here to tell people that I had a hard time with it and survived. Right now, I don't feel as if I'm going to get through it okay. I'm praying that, in another couple months, this will all just be a memory, but right now I feel like I'm going to suffer for the rest of my life. I'm only 41 and I feel like my life, as I knew it, is just over. That I can forget anything I ever wanted to do with my life because the only thing that is ahead of me is a lifetime of being miserable.
Kerri

Brisbane, Australia

#3809 Jun 15, 2013
Stuart wrote:
It's just so discouraging because you just don't know if there's ever going to be an end. My doctor said to me, in regards to my digestion, that it would work itself out over a couple of years. That's a frustrating thought. Even though I have a bm every day, it seems like not enough is moving through my system, so little by little I'm getting backed up.
Also, I've been getting this dull, temporary pain in my left lower back when I eat. Anybody else have anything like that? Also, my insides are constantly making these loud gurgling sounds. And while there's really not any significant pain or anything, I just feel gross all the time.
I just want to know if there are people who experienced this stuff as far out as four months (which is where I am) and it got better eventually or didn't. I wish there were more long termers checking this forum. If I survive all this, I'll definitely come back here to tell people that I had a hard time with it and survived. Right now, I don't feel as if I'm going to get through it okay. I'm praying that, in another couple months, this will all just be a memory, but right now I feel like I'm going to suffer for the rest of my life. I'm only 41 and I feel like my life, as I knew it, is just over. That I can forget anything I ever wanted to do with my life because the only thing that is ahead of me is a lifetime of being miserable.
Hi Stuart, sounds frustrating, i'm not even 3 weeks out and feel back to normal. Maybe you should try the benefibre that my surgeon told me to take everyday for the rest of my life. It will bulk up your stools and might help you pass them completely. I have started taking it once a day and will go to twice a day soon. I really feel it has made a difference to the post op gurgling etc. it has no taste and i put it in my orange juice. I battled dd for over 10 years and this is the best my tummy has ever been. If things dont improve go back to your doc, i work for doctors and i think it is important to let them know if something doesnt feel right. Good luck.
Stuart

Mountain Home, AR

#3810 Jun 15, 2013
Kerri wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Stuart, sounds frustrating, i'm not even 3 weeks out and feel back to normal. Maybe you should try the benefibre that my surgeon told me to take everyday for the rest of my life. It will bulk up your stools and might help you pass them completely. I have started taking it once a day and will go to twice a day soon. I really feel it has made a difference to the post op gurgling etc. it has no taste and i put it in my orange juice. I battled dd for over 10 years and this is the best my tummy has ever been. If things dont improve go back to your doc, i work for doctors and i think it is important to let them know if something doesnt feel right. Good luck.
I've been taking Miralax and Metamucil. I'm kind of surprised that your doctor has you taking fiber supplements so soon after your surgery. A lot of people on this forum had a hard time dealing with fiber so soon afterwards. I'm glad you're feeling so good so soon after your surgery. That seems like some kind of miracle to me.
Elizabeth

Cranbourne, Australia

#3811 Jun 15, 2013
Hi Stuart, stay in there! At four months you are still recovering. At four months I was wondering how much longer it was going to take, at six months I felt so much better, at 12 months I suddenly realised I was over the worst, and at nearly three years I know it has all been worth it.
Stay positive, good luck, God bless!
Kerri

Brisbane, Australia

#3812 Jun 15, 2013
Stuart wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been taking Miralax and Metamucil. I'm kind of surprised that your doctor has you taking fiber supplements so soon after your surgery. A lot of people on this forum had a hard time dealing with fiber so soon afterwards. I'm glad you're feeling so good so soon after your surgery. That seems like some kind of miracle to me.
My surgeon said that metamucil causes gas problems for some people and that benefibre was easier to take. He said i should take it as ritually asyou would take blood pressure meds otherwise the dd might come back again. Sorry to hear you feel so bad. I am 49 so a bit older than you, so maybe i am a miracle but i think a lot of people that have a good result move away from forums to their new life without dd. I wish now i would have done it a long time ago.
George

East Providence, RI

#3813 Jun 17, 2013
I am Scheduled for my colon resection on July 10th, I have been trying to be positive about it,at the same time I'm scared, this was the first time I decided to search to read about it on what to expect after surgery, I live alone on a 3rd Floor and I want to come home after surgery, according to my Doctor I will be in the Hospital 5-7 days, and he said recuperating time 5-7 weeks.
Thanks for all the notes above

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3814 Jun 17, 2013
Stuart wrote:
Stuart Hello
well I am one month short of 2 years for the removal of my ascending colon I still feel the bloat some of the time and still make the Bathroom Trip 2 to 5 times a day some days I get to skip a day but it does get better and I am still waking up each morning the feeling of being constipated this will not hurt you unless you do not have a BM for days on end the feeling of being constipated is just a day you do not need to go keep track of what you ate the day before if it is mostly liquids then you will not have very much stool I know I drive my friends nuts with the feelings I have. Also what I had was Colon Cancer and the small bit of discomfort is worth it Remember things take time to get where you where so it will take some time to recover also

God Bless and Feel well Please !!!

Larry
Moe

Ashburn, VA

#3815 Jun 17, 2013
Stuart, I think you may be suffering from post surgery depression, not exactly depresion, but what my doctor said was I was physically & emotionally exhausted. This was a big surgery in which your organs were ALL messed with, not just the colon. He told me that it is very normal to experience this. Get plenty of rest, drink water throughout the day and remember that this was abig surgery. I will be 5 months on the 23rd and I still feel bruised if I lean on my abs at all, I have my energy back, sometimes my stomach/bm's are goofy and sometimes I just cry over all I have been through. I'mabout your age & have at times felt like you do. Are you walking? What kind of doc told you about your digestion working out over a year? How much did they remove? Where they able to hook you back up?
Big hugs to you and I am so glad you shared shared your struggles with us.
Moe
Stuart wrote:
It's just so discouraging because you just don't kfnow if there's ever going to be an end. My doctor said to me, in regards to my digestion, that it would work itself out over a couple of years. That's a frustrating thought. Even though I have a bm every day, it seems like not enough is moving through my system, so little by little I'm getting backed up.
Moe

San Jose, CA

#3816 Jun 17, 2013
Miralax really bothered me, my surgeon told me to use it. I have tried it 2 times and both times I got a stomach ache, gas and was miserable.I use Meier brand clear fiber & milled flax seed. I have a bunch of pouches of that Miralax and I won't use them again.
Moe
Stuart wrote:
<quoted text>
Moe

San Jose, CA

#3817 Jun 17, 2013
George,
My best advice is to make sure your surgeon is experienced, take a list of questions with you, ask what to expect to happen in the hospital, what to expect when you get home, how long to recover? Complications, things to look for regarding symptoms of complications, who do you call if you have a problem etc. If you don't feel comfortable with your doctor find a new one. I ended up being in for 13 days due to a leak & infection, so thankfully I had a great surgeon who saw me everyday and had a great bedside manner. I've met a few doctors in my time that I would not have wanted to deal with for 13 days days in a row...lol. So make sure your surgeon is a good fit for you. You will want to stock up on some food, ask surgeon what your diet will be like afterwards, so you can have stuff on hand. Stairs should not be a problem, might tire taking them. What sort of surgery are they planing? Any idea on how much they plan to remove? Will they be putting in ueretur stints? Ask about those.
Good luck & check back in with us.
Moe
George wrote:
I am Scheduled for my colon resection on July 10th, I have been trying to be positive about it,at the same time I'm scared, this was the first time I decided to search to read about it on what to expect after surgery, I live alone on a 3rd Floor and I want to come home after surgery, according to my Doctor I will be in the Hospital 5-7 days, and he said recuperating time 5-7 weeks.
Thanks for all the notes above
bonnie

Uniontown, PA

#3818 Jun 23, 2013
I notice I can't eat sweets ..but that's ok..don't need it anyways..god bless....
nancy

Pico Rivera, CA

#3819 Jun 23, 2013
Have any woman here had a hystorectomey post colon resection? I will be having one on the 27/june. Its been 3 years since my resection/benign, but was left with acute ibs c and d and spastic colon. Pretty much house bound due to ibs. Having hystorectomy due to post menopausal bleeding. Pls reply if any has experienced this.
Lee

Syracuse, NY

#3820 Jun 24, 2013
Anyone have good results using a ProBiotic? I'm tired of taking milkofmagnisia to help move things along and wondered if the Probiotics will help better.....
Carole

Decatur, GA

#3821 Jun 24, 2013
Hi all,

Infection finally cleared and things going much better now. George, my doctor told me the same thing yours told you. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and released because of MRSA outbreak at facility. However, went back to work on week 4 and, other than infection and "normal" problems, which forum members told me I could experience (hey, without their input, I would have thought something terrible was wrong), things are getting back to normal. Still don't feel like myself but am getting there. The process is slow - good days and bad but the good have started to outweigh the bad. Everyone, my prayers and love are with all of you. You are the best friends I have ever had and I thank you again for all of our support. You have helped me make it through every day since surgery.
Moe

Mattoon, IL

#3822 Jun 24, 2013
Carole,
I feel the same way!
So blessedby this group.
Moe
Carole wrote:
Hi all,
Infection finally cleared and things going much better now. George, my doctor told me the same thing yours told you. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and released because of MRSA outbreak at facility. However, went back to work on week 4 and, other than infection and "normal" problems, which forum members told me I could experience (hey, without their input, I would have thought something terrible was wrong), things are getting back to normal. Still don't feel like myself but am getting there. The process is slow - good days and bad but the good have started to outweigh the bad. Everyone, my prayers and love are with all of you. You are the best friends I have ever had and I thank you again for all of our support. You have helped me make it through every day since surgery.
Just wondering

Schaumburg, IL

#3823 Jun 24, 2013
Has anybody tried probiotics supplements. I read that a build up of yeast type of bacteria causes bloating and gas the good bacteria probiotics helps to improve the gas and bloating issues. I know after a diverticulitis episode I was prescribed probiotics.
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#3824 Jun 24, 2013
As with all supplements they take a while to work, the best thing may be the probiotic yoghurts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) 15 hr Betsy 817
Upcoming Surgery on September 4th 22 hr Elizabeth 5
Question about "foods that cause problems" 22 hr villandra 2
reoccurance of diverticulitis after surgery 22 hr villandra 3
GI Surgeon Says Get Bariatric Surgery FIRST. Wed Jan 1
What happens when part of colon is removed? (Dec '07) Tue Keith 31
Surgery in 3 days Tue Amy 12
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Aug 26 Julianne 2,114
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Diverticulitis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••