Advice for After Colon Resection?
Moe

San Jose, CA

#3744 May 23, 2013
Margaret,
My Myfirst question would who did your scope? A gastro doc or a colorectal surgeon? A colorectal surgeon can get a lot of goofy types of polyps out that a gastro doc is not trained in. Did they give your polyp type a name? Do you have a major university medical school near you? I would get a copy of your medical records and get a second opinion. It might cost you another scope, but it may save you from surgery. I am not understanding how you would need a foot removed for a polyp? What size was the polyp? This week I would request a copy of your medical records, may take a few weeks since you just got your results and dictation sometimes takes awhile. You will wan ALL records relating to the scope including pathology result and any CT or MRI scans of your ab you have from the last year. You also want office notes from your doctor visits. Please keep us updated on how this goes.
Hugs,
Moe
Margaret wrote:
I have been advised to have a lower colon dresection with about 12" removed. During a routine colonoscopy a polyp was found that could not be removed due to its location. The biopsy came back as inconclusive.
I would like to know if those of you who have gone through the surgery, would do so in my case. I am afraid that my doctors are all being overly conservative. They say that even if it proves to be benign today, that it won't be the case in the furture. So I can have the surgery now, or when it progresses - which will be worse. I am very afraid.
Elizabeth

Cranbourne, Australia

#3745 May 24, 2013
Margaret, you should be able to see the results of the scope as the doctors have it all on computer. Ask them to explain it. Obviously, to remove a polyp some material would have to be taken from either side, so it could add up to about 12" which is a normal surgical procedure. You appear to have a blockage, and it is important that it should be removed. Don't hesitate to follow your doctor's aadvice. We are all with you. God bless.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3746 May 24, 2013
Margaret wrote:
I have been advised to have a lower colon resection with about 12" removed. During a routine colonoscopy a polyp was found that could not be removed due to its location. The biopsy came back as inconclusive.
I would like to know if those of you who have gone through the surgery, would do so in my case. I am afraid that my doctors are all being overly conservative. They say that even if it proves to be benign today, that it won't be the case in the furture. So I can have the surgery now, or when it progresses - which will be worse. I am very afraid.
I believe that having the surgery now when you are still feeling well and not letting the Polyp become cancerous is the best plan
I also had a growth in 2011 that come back as Positive for colon cancer had it removed and that got rid of the cancer took out all of ascending colon also I feel that a little discomfort is better then the for ever Nap. there is nothing to be afraid of you go to sleep then wake up it is all over then you heal and you get a lot better May God Assist you on your journey and hold your hand

Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry
janet m

Las Vegas, NV

#3747 May 24, 2013
It has been 6 weeks since my colon resection surgery. I feel great and I am back to work. My question has to do with riding my horse and riding my quad off road. Is there any reason I shouldn't get back on and ride? Will I mess my insides up or am I good to go?
janet m

Las Vegas, NV

#3748 May 24, 2013
If you are fairly healthy, get the surgery. I am 51 and my recovery was 2 weeks. It was no big deal. And the polyp could turn into cancer. However my ecologist told me that it will take anywhere from 5 to 10 years to go from a polyp to stage 4 cancer. Hope this helps. Janet .... Denver. Colorado
Elizabeth

Glen Waverley, Australia

#3749 May 24, 2013
janet m. I would think twice about riding a horse for awhile! However, don't neglect him! Best therapy ever. Talk to the animals! I think you should give yourself a few more weeks before rough activity. Could be a bit rough off road on quad.
Moe

Mattoon, IL

#3750 May 24, 2013
Elizabeth,
I've had a number of polyps removed from my colon and never had to have surgery for them. They were done right then and there during my scope. Some were benign and others were tubular adenoma.
Moe
Elizabeth wrote:
Margaret, you should be able to see the results of the scope as the doctors have it all on computer. Ask them to explain it. Obviously, to remove a polyp some material would have to be taken from either side, so it could add up to about 12" which is a normal surgical procedure. You appear to have a blockage, and it is important that it should be removed. Don't hesitate to follow your doctor's aadvice. We are all with you. God bless.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3751 May 24, 2013
janet m wrote:
It has been 6 weeks since my colon resection surgery. I feel great and I am back to work. My question has to do with riding my horse and riding my quad off road. Is there any reason I shouldn't get back on and ride? Will I mess my insides up or am I good to go?
I would say it is a little too soon to be riding a Quad you are just beginning to heal as far as the horse you do not have to ride him/her like you are trying to win a race so I would say go for that. Just take it easy. And remember God Loves you and he will keep you safe if you feel pain that is a sign to tell you to stop and wait a little longer

Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry
Megs

Philadelphia, PA

#3752 May 27, 2013
Hi all, I just had surgery on 5/15. I had a right colectomy because of a mass. Biopsy results not back yet. I had it done robotically and I am feeling pretty good. Five days in the hospital, and I have been home 1 week as of today. I was wondering how long this low residue diet has to be followed. I live for fiber and veggies. My surgeon said NO fruit/vegs/ spices/carbonation/ or vinegar. I think the diet is helping with bowel movements as I'm down to one /day with barely any gas. I'm 37, and have two kids, and normally work FT as a post-op nurse. I am the worlds most impatient person. I want to just go back to normal. Sitting around makes me depressed.
DianaL

American Canyon, CA

#3753 May 27, 2013
Hi Megs, great recovery! You already know the answer ;0P You just had major surgery and you need to take it easy on your guts a little longer. Slowly start back on regular food. Like breast meat chicken, slightly over cooked green beans, sauteed spinach, eggs with white toast, soups. Easy on the fats and oils. Cooked oatmeal is easier than say wheat cereals. Some people have some lactose intolerance so try Almond milk.

You should soon be able to on regular food just listen to your tummy. I think it was three weeks out that I had popcorn and bacon - that's when I knew I was good to go!

May your results be normal and that you go on and enjoy your life!
Megs

Philadelphia, PA

#3754 May 27, 2013
DianaL wrote:
Hi Megs, great recovery! You already know the answer ;0P You just had major surgery and you need to take it easy on your guts a little longer. Slowly start back on regular food. Like breast meat chicken, slightly over cooked green beans, sauteed spinach, eggs with white toast, soups. Easy on the fats and oils. Cooked oatmeal is easier than say wheat cereals. Some people have some lactose intolerance so try Almond milk.
You should soon be able to on regular food just listen to your tummy. I think it was three weeks out that I had popcorn and bacon - that's when I knew I was good to go!
May your results be normal and that you go on and enjoy your life!

Thanks, it's pretty funny that I take care of people after surgery as a job but I have no idea what happens after they leave the hospital. This surgery was a total surprise. I began with nausea and pain in March and now a big hunk of colon is gone. I'm surprised that recovery is going so well after reading lots of stories about it that we're not so great. Three weeks ? Ill probably be afraid of popcorn forever. I think part of my good recovery is that I quit smoking before my surgery. Now I'm eating like a pig. Before surgery I kept losing weight so I guess it's coming back now. I would say to those having a difficult time to try the low res. diet. It really has helped me. It is pretty boring. I go for my follow up appt next Monday. Crossing my fingers. Be well everyone , ill update my biopsy results when I get em.
NJ John

Cherry Hill, NJ

#3755 May 27, 2013
Megs wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, it's pretty funny that I take care of people after surgery I was wondering how long this low residue diet has to be followed.
Everyone's different, and follows a different track. I didn't pass gas till 8 days after surgery and then took a while before I could resume normal eating. I was on low residue for 6 weeks. I had a bad case, complicated surgery, so the surgeon was cautious in the post-op. The answer you seek has to come from him, not us on this board. But you sound GREAT, so I don't think it should be six weeks.
Moe

Mattoon, IL

#3756 May 27, 2013
Take it easy!!! You just had major surgery, I think that is a problem with the robotic surgery, people get moving way to fast afterwards and then have set backs. As a post op nurse I have a question for you to ponder on your time off. I always have high bp in recovery, I'm fine in surgery, but it strikes in recover. No other issues, but it happens with every surgery I have. With my colon surgery this time I had the high bp+ HR anywhere from 120-155 bpm. They have c h ecked me for pheocromocytoma (I have a mass on my adrenal gland that they say is nothing, but it perked up the doctors after surgery thistime. They still have found nothing yet. Any thoughts on something else to look for? In the past surgeries nurses have called these episodes panic attacks or anxiety issues. But I am laying there totally calm, not worried. Both doctor & surgeon surgeonsaw me having these issues, say I am cool as a cucumber with a heart rate that would drive them crazy if it was them having it. I have even slept through having this. Lasts anywhere from 45 min to 10 hours. With it I have rare PVC's that do not effect my blood pressure. My surgeon teases me and says that in med school they teach if it walks like a duck, it's a duck, if it quacks like a duck it's a duck, if it's Moe, she is a Zebra.:-( I don't want to be a Zebra. Any tips on me changing from a Zebra to a duck??
Hope you get feeling better. How much colon did you have removed? I had a foot taken due to diverticulitis, though again me being weird I always had diarrhea and not constipation...lol Yep, Zebra again...lol.
Get well soon.
Moe
Megs wrote:
Hi all, I just had surgery on 5/15. I had a right colectomy because of a mass. Biopsy results not back yet. I had it done robotically and I am feeling pretty good. Five days in the hospital, and I have been home 1 week as of today. I was wondering how long this low residue diet has to be followed. I live for fiber and veggies. My surgeon said NO fruit/vegs/ spices/carbonation/ or vinegar. I think the diet is helping with bowel movements as I'm down to one /day with barely any gas. I'm 37, and have two kids, and normally work FT as a post-op nurse. I am the worlds most impatient person. I want to just go back to normal. Sitting around makes me depressed.
Megs

Philadelphia, PA

#3757 May 27, 2013
Moe wrote:
Take it easy!!! You just had major surgery, I think that is a problem with the robotic surgery, people get moving way to fast afterwards and then have set backs. As a post op nurse I have a question for you to ponder on your time off. I always have high bp in recovery, I'm fine in surgery, but it strikes in recover. No other issues, but it happens with every surgery I have. With my colon surgery this time I had the high bp+ HR anywhere from 120-155 bpm. They have c h ecked me for pheocromocytoma (I have a mass on my adrenal gland that they say is nothing, but it perked up the doctors after surgery thistime. They still have found nothing yet. Any thoughts on something else to look for? In the past surgeries nurses have called these episodes panic attacks or anxiety issues. But I am laying there totally calm, not worried. Both doctor & surgeon surgeonsaw me having these issues, say I am cool as a cucumber with a heart rate that would drive them crazy if it was them having it. I have even slept through having this. Lasts anywhere from 45 min to 10 hours. With it I have rare PVC's that do not effect my blood pressure. My surgeon teases me and says that in med school they teach if it walks like a duck, it's a duck, if it quacks like a duck it's a duck, if it's Moe, she is a Zebra.:-( I don't want to be a Zebra. Any tips on me changing from a Zebra to aduck??
Hope you get feeling better. How much colon did you have removed? I had a foot taken due to diverticulitis, though again me being weird I always had diarrhea and not constipation...lol Yep, Zebra again...lol.
Get well soon.
Moe
<quoted text>
Hey Moe,
It could be the stress on your body from surgery/anesthesia. Is it ever high at other times ? I had some elevated heart rates myself after this procedure but they didn't last long. It could be from meds that you are not used to also. I'm sure pain meds do that to me. I usually have very low BP, as in 88/50. That is my normal. I had to go in the hospital days before surgery for some additional testing. Every Bp was in the 80's over 40-50. After surgery till I went home it was about 130/60. I can't remember how much colon they took but I know the tumor was 6cm. They also took 12 lymph nodes. I did have a rough time in the hospital, I had a blood clot in my hand, I had intense vomiting after surgery, and I could not pass gas till day 5 after surgery. I wasn't supposed to go home yet but I begged the surgeon to let me go. As a nurse, I know what to look for as far as complications go and I live right near the hospital. So they agreed. I felt better getting home. Right now I'm just not sure what to do with myself. I wish my follow up appt was this week instead of next. I'm wondering what I can expect in terms of how long I will be out of work etc... My job is very stressful and physically demanding. I lift patients all the time so I'm thinking it will be awhile. I also haven't even thought about what the biopsy will show. I don't want to worry before I have a reason . I'm glad you guys are friendly and can give me some advice. I must say, I have a newfound empathy for my patients.
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#3758 May 28, 2013
Moe, you are right about the polyps. They usually can be removed fairly easily, but in Margaret's case, this apparently was not so. Dilemma for the doctors as well as Margaret. I think they may have suggested a way to avoid worse problems. Still an iffy question, though. May the Good Lord guide science in the right direction.
God bless, Margaret.
Stuart

Mountain Home, AR

#3759 May 28, 2013
I've been having a really hard time getting my system working as it should, I think. I'm fourteen weeks post op, and I feel like I'm getting constipated too much maybe.

I have been, without fail, having a couple of BM's every morning, but by the evening, I feel bloated and gross and my lower abdomen feels really uncomfortable. It seems like I'm not expelling as much as I'm taking in on a daily basis and getting too backed up.

I've been taking metamucil a few times a day, and that's helped in some ways but I just can't seem to get everything out. Maybe I'm just eating too much. What has worked for you guys? I had to take a stool softener last night, and this morning had a large BM. And I still don't feel like everything is out. I'm trying to decide if I should take some miralax this morning to keep things moving. I don't like the idea of taking laxatives too much because I hear it'll just create a laxative dependence where you eventually have to use them to be able to go.

Today, I feel really discouraged.
Megs

Philadelphia, PA

#3760 May 28, 2013
Stuart wrote:
I've been having a really hard time getting my system working as it should, I think. I'm fourteen weeks post op, and I feel like I'm getting constipated too much maybe.
I have been, without fail, having a couple of BM's every morning, but by the evening, I feel bloated and gross and my lower abdomen feels really uncomfortable. It seems like I'm not expelling as much as I'm taking in on a daily basis and getting too backed up.
I've been taking metamucil a few times a day, and that's helped in some ways but I just can't seem to get everything out. Maybe I'm just eating too much. What has worked for you guys? I had to take a stool softener last night, and this morning had a large BM. And I still don't feel like everything is out. I'm trying to decide if I should take some miralax this morning to keep things moving. I don't like the idea of taking laxatives too much because I hear it'll just create a laxative dependence where you eventually have to use them to be able to go.
Today, I feel really discouraged.
Stuart, what type of foods are you eating ? Maybe you should stick with foods that don't cause a lot of gas. Are you on a special diet ?
Margaret

Beaverton, OR

#3761 May 28, 2013
Thanks, Elizabeth.

Moe,
The polyp is in the backside of the crease where the rectum goes into the sigmoid colon. Niether the gastro could get it out during the colonoscopy. Niether he, nor the surgeon, could get a good dep biopsy of it due to the location. To do a full biopsy, it would be a "major event".

Here's my new question: I don't know the best source for a soft diet. I have three pre-teen kids, so I will have to cook separately for me. Eating could become a real pain. Sadly, I love to cook and love spicey food. Will I ever be able to eat popcorn or peanuts again? What about alcohol? I love wine!

Please tell me about the eating adjustments. I'm afraid I'll get reelly depressed if my favorite foods will be gone for good.
Stuart

Mountain Home, AR

#3762 May 28, 2013
I'm seriously at my wits end. At fourteen weeks, I feel like I've not improved to the point that I thought I would. I really don't know what's going on with my body. I have achey soreness in my lower abdomen. It feels like its on the inside rather than something with the muscle tissue. And also I have this rectal discomfort that's really annoying. The diverticulitis attacks that I used to have were excruciating, so I guess this is "better". But in some ways I feel like the broke me. I'm just hating life right now.

Megs, I'm not on any particular diet or anything. I eat all kinds of things, but I haven't noticed that one things is worse than any other. If anything it may be worse based on the amount of food that I eat. I guess I just can't eat what I used to consider to be a normal sized meal. This is going to be a real adjustment, but if my body doesn't heal, I don't know what I'll do.
Moe

Mattoon, IL

#3763 May 28, 2013
Thanks for the info.
I have normal to low bp normally.
I know what you mean by being a patient now and seeing things from the other side of the bed. My sister-in-law is an RN and she stayed with me for about 4 days in the hospital with one of my divert episodes and she was so shocked at some of the things she saw. Said they needed better training at that hospital. Just simple mistakes that could have been avoided.
Hope you get feeling better soon, this surgery is harder on the mind than on the body I thought. And I am sure for you waiting on the results is hard too.
Hugs,
Moe
Megs wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Moe,
It could be the stress on your body from surgery/anesthesia. Is it ever high at other times ? I had some elevated heart rates myself after this procedure but they didn't last long. It could be from meds that you are not used to also. I'm sure pain meds do that to me. I usually have very low BP, as in 88/50. That is my normal. I had to go in the hospital days before surgery for some additional testing. Every Bp was in the 80's over 40-50. After surgery till I went home it was about 130/60. I can't remember how much colon they took but I know the tumor was 6cm. They also took 12 lymph nodes. I did have a rough time in the hospital, I had a blood clot in my hand, I had intense vomiting after surgery, and I could not pass gas till day 5 after surgery. I wasn't supposed to go home yet but I begged the surgeon to let me go. As a nurse, I know what to look for as far as complications go and I live right near the hospital. So they agreed. I felt better getting home. Right now I'm just not sure what to do with myself. I wish my follow up appt was this week instead of next. I'm wondering what I can expect in terms of how long I will be out of work etc... My job is very stressful and physically demanding. I lift patients all the time so I'm thinking it will be awhile. I also haven't even thought about what the biopsy will show. I don't want to worry before I have a reason . I'm glad you guys are friendly and can give me some advice. I must say, I have a newfound empathy for my patients.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sore pubic bone (Dec '13) 4 hr kmd113 5
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Tue Faithlayne 2,487
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Feb 7 JKVT265 47
Diverticulitis without fever (Sep '14) Feb 7 Mimi39 23
colostomy Feb 7 martha 1
Diverticulitis and laxative use Feb 6 Elizabeth 4
Diverticulitis flare after sigmoid colectomy (Feb '15) Feb 5 maysiedots 36
More from around the web