Advice for After Colon Resection?
Moe

Mattoon, IL

#3663 Apr 21, 2013
It takes a long time for the deep tissues to heal and for the swelling inside to go down. Remember when they take out intestines they have to move the rest of them around to bring down the section to attach back together. My incision is not up and down, it's side to side and it does not hurt on the outside, but inside it feels bruised still and 4/23/13 will be 90 days post op for me. I do the same thing with the worrying, I think it's because we can't see what is going on in there. If it was a sore on are arm we could see how good/bad it looks, but we can't see our insides to tell what is going on. Also intestines do not have feeling in them, so you may be still swollen inside and when stuff moves through your intestines it pushes along side that swollen area and you can feel that. Drink lots of water and work on upping your fiber slowly.
Good luck,
Moe
Stuart wrote:
Moe. I'm in a somewhat unique situation. My last appointment with my surgeon was a couple of weeks after the surgery. He said everything looked fine and that I should be fine and didn't say anything about meeting with him again. Because of my illness, I lost my job and moved out of state to stay with my dad for a while. I will be getting some new insurance at the beginning of next month, so I'll get a new PCP to monitor my situation. So, you think that having pains at two months is unusual?
Btw, I have one incision about seven inches from my navel down. The incision itself doesn't seem to bother me too much, though I do think the underneath tissue is sensitive. Some of the pains I feel seem to be my intestines, though not always in the place where, I assume, they would have rejoined the "healthy" sections of my sigmoid colon. I sometimes think that the pain is from stuff passing through my colon, which my be still somewhat irritated. Yesterday, I ate a lot of onions, and I don't think it liked that at all. Anyway, I'm constantly afraid of having a reoccurrence or a blockage or something awful. Hopefully, I'm just being paranoid, and, in time, I'll be (at least mostly) pain free.
carole

Atlanta, GA

#3664 Apr 21, 2013
Hi guys, Now 6 weeks out from surgery (+3 days). Had to drive to Atlanta for the weekend for shower for nephew's fiancée. Happy to say I went as a passenger and got to sleep most of the drive. It was a little hard on my body especially since BM's are unpredictable. Would not eat on way to and from but drank a lot of water. Had to stop a lot to get out and move around but all in all felt like I did pretty good. Just got back to Savannah and feel worn out but am grateful to have been able to attend. Hope all of you are doing okay. Food is still a big issue but able to find things that agreed with me everywhere we went. My choices are improving thanks to everyone's advice on how to approach things. Mostly pain free during travel which I feel was a blessing. Hope you all had a good weekend. As for me, going to call a day really early. Love you guys.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3665 Apr 21, 2013
glenda wrote:
<quoted text>hello old friend its been awhile sorry to hear that you are still going through all the pain you are not alone im still the same too..the pain has never stopped a day since they put the mesh in 14 months ago,ans like you i have had all the test and seen lots of different docs. im on gabapentin 600 3xs a day perks when i can get them or vicodin its funny before all these surgerys i never even took an asprin now im in fear of not having pain meds because the pain is so bad that i feel like im going to die. been to er a couple of weeks ago when it got so bad my stomach was looking like i was 5months preg. and they did the catscan again about my 100th one and said we dont see anything and sent me home,well i went to my doc. appt. and he sent me to er thats how i finally went, but anyway i feel for you im in the same boat..havent been on in long time the last time i was i read a post from the other deb haha and it said something about people that dont get better or have other problems i dont even remeber the whole thing but it made me feel like maybe i was scaring people when i kept talking about my pain so i just been reading and not posting,glad to see ome old freinds larry you sure are one hell of a fighter lots of love guys all of you..take care glenda
Hi Sweetie nice to see you are still with us here I really hope you can get hooked up with a pain management clinic and they can come up with a plan to manage your pain. In Dec on the 27th I spent 25 Hours in the ER sleep there then at 4 P.M. on the 28th. They took me to surgery to remove my Gallbladder so that has restarted my Pain clock. It is getting more manageable each day except. I am having urinary tract Pain they are supposed to make me an appt. with Urology to see if they can get rid of that pain when I pee for the most part feeling better. Cancer got it's Butt kicked Dr. Says he does not see it any longer in my system well Glenda hope all will be better with you and that God will help you manage the pain you are having [ Teddy Bear Hugs also ]
Your Friend Larry :-)
Georgia

United States

#3666 Apr 21, 2013
Hi Larry,
Saw your name and had to say hello. I am so glad the cancer is gone and hope you will be back to good health and pain free soon. You certainly deserve that. You have been through enough.

Glenda,
Hi to you also. I am so sorry they haven't got rid of your pain, yet. I sure hope you do find someone that can help you. I sure wish you all the best. It is just not right you have to put up with all that pain all the time.

You guys take care, I am sending tons of positive vibes and healing prayers.
Aubrey

Martinsville, VA

#3667 Apr 25, 2013
Hi All,

Upcoming Surgery (open) has me a little nervous. All your posts have answered most of my questions. Thanks,
my surgery is in four days. I know all will go well. Thanks again. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers
Moe

Mattoon, IL

#3669 Apr 25, 2013
Aubrey,
Why do you have to have open surgery? How large of an incision are we talking about? I feel so much better since I had my surgery, it was 90 days on Tuesday of this week. I had 2 port holes (large and a small one)and then a 4 inch horizontal cut. They could not do lap on me due to the way I am built. Get yourself and electric blanket, I lived under mine for the first 2 months.
Praying for you,
Moe
Aubrey wrote:
Hi All,
Upcoming Surgery (open) has me a little nervous. All your posts have answered most of my questions. Thanks,
my surgery is in four days. I know all will go well. Thanks again. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers
nancy

Pacoima, CA

#3670 Apr 25, 2013
They started my resection laproscopy, but before theybfinished the surgery they tested for leaks. I needed one more stitch to make sure I wouldn't leak, hence they had to make a 8 inch incision from my navel. On down. Meanwhile I am almost 3 years post op.and I know I will never be normal again. Ibs c and d. Spastic colon. Now in june I will have a hystorectomy and because of scar tissue.(Kidney removed 6 months before resection with hernia repair) the surgery will be a puzzle of where to start. Oy! I an healthy outside of being broken due to the resection. No answers from doctors!
Stuart

Mountain Home, AR

#3671 Apr 25, 2013
nancy wrote:
They started my resection laproscopy, but before theybfinished the surgery they tested for leaks. I needed one more stitch to make sure I wouldn't leak, hence they had to make a 8 inch incision from my navel. On down. Meanwhile I am almost 3 years post op.and I know I will never be normal again. Ibs c and d. Spastic colon. Now in june I will have a hystorectomy and because of scar tissue.(Kidney removed 6 months before resection with hernia repair) the surgery will be a puzzle of where to start. Oy! I an healthy outside of being broken due to the resection. No answers from doctors!
What was your resection for? How much did they remove? Are you sure that your IBS problems didn't exist before your resection? It sounds like you've had a lot of issues, so it seems like not everything you're experiencing would be just because of the resection.
Babs

Clarkston, GA

#3672 Apr 30, 2013
Drvucrzy wrote:
Did you have robotic surgery?
laparoscopic and I'm not sure about the robotic....ood thing to ask..still get tired...but better.thanks
Betsy

Rüsselsheim, Germany

#3673 Apr 30, 2013
Hi Glenda and Larry,(and Georgia and Nat and George and Moe and Elizabeth, sounds like a reunion)so glad to hear from you, like Georgia I was wondering about you Glenda, because we did not hear from you for so long. I am sad that there is so much pain and it will not stop, like Larry said, it would be great if someone got that under control - I don't know the difference between a cat scan (don't even know how to spell, lol, and I'm a translator!)- and a CT, but CTs supposedly are more informative.--- Larry, you're a warrior. And I'm a whimp. I see the surgeon in a couple of hours because I had a bad episode that really knocked me off my feet this time, so in a couple of hours I may know more.--- Aubrey, you're in my prayers - as is Glenda, wish I could dash over to my favourite church in Munich and light a candle beneath the statue of the saint who is the guy responsible for "pain management", but don't live there anymore, Aubrey plse report back how you are doing when you can. All the best, guys. Greetings and thoughts from the other side of the Atlantic.
nancy

Los Angeles, CA

#3674 Apr 30, 2013
Stuart wrote:
<quoted text>
What was your resection for? How much did they remove? Are you sure that your IBS problems didn't exist before your resection? It sounds like you've had a lot of issues, so it seems like not everything you're experiencing would be just because of the resection.
never had ibs before. Had blockage of a fibroid they took 13 inches. I had no symptoms before the procedure. Now I am housebound.
bonnie

Uniontown, PA

#3675 Apr 30, 2013
i had 18 inches last year taken out ....and doing great , I think I was blessed with a great doctor......I had rib pain ..but is gone....I know the pain everyone has ....I will pray everyday for all of you....I walk again 2 miles...a good start..i have had bad health since I was 25...nice to be able to get up and know I don't feel like death....good luck and my god be with you ,Bonnie
Rob

Camberwell, Australia

#3676 Apr 30, 2013
I was diagnosed with IIIC Colon Cancer over three years ago. A blockage in the sigmoid colon was found which had spread to lymph nodes as well. I had emergency open surgery and just before leaving hospital one of the surgeons told me I would probably need to go to the toilet two or three times a day. She didn't say 'for ever' but now I know that that's what she meant.

After chemo and regular scans I'm doing well. I suffer from quite a lot of gas and some leakage as a result and I will never be quite the same again, but as I'm retired this doesn't matter so much. It would be difficult if I was still working. I never contemplate certain activities - like a long bus trip for instance.

Anyway, the surgeons did a great job. Better than being dead! At least, I guess it is. I'll let you know.
Moe

Mattoon, IL

#3677 May 1, 2013
Bonnie,
I found out from my surgeon that the rib pain I had was from the
The splenic (or left colic) flexure is a sharp bend between the transverse and the descending colon in the left upper quadrant of humans. He told me that they had to move everything down to rehook up my colon after taking out about a foot. It bites, but he said it should go away within 6 months.
Moe
bonnie wrote:
i had 18 inches last year taken out ....and doing great , I think I was blessed with a great doctor......I had rib pain ..but is gone....I know the pain everyone has ....I will pray everyday for all of you....I walk again 2 miles...a good start..i have had bad health since I was 25...nice to be able to get up and know I don't feel like death....good luck and my god be with you ,Bonnie
Carole

Covington, GA

#3678 May 1, 2013
Hi all,
Well things were going well up until last Friday. Developed sharp pain in left lower quadrant at reconnect site. Went back to surgeon. After numerous tests, told had developed infection at reconnect site. On antibiotics now and being watched closely. Things could always be worse and hopefully the 10 day course of antibiotics plus the heavy duty antibiotic injection will take care of things.

Moe, Bonnie, Rob, Glenda,and everyone - you are all in my prayers daily. I feel like we are all one big family.

Carole
Bonnie

United States

#3679 May 1, 2013
How soon after surgery did any of you have a colonoscopy? My surgeon has asked me to come in after 6 months. I was wondering if this was normal. I am 6 months post op and doing great. I wish the best of luck to all of you! Thank you.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3680 May 3, 2013
Bonnie wrote:
How soon after surgery did any of you have a colonoscopy? My surgeon has asked me to come in after 6 months. I was wondering if this was normal. I am 6 months post op and doing great. I wish the best of luck to all of you! Thank you.
Mine colonoscopy was 18 Months after surgery Dr. wanted to check and make sure no scaring on colon at resection site said things Looked fine. there but still have right side pain ( Drugs make it go away But I hate taking them ) God Bless all and Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry
Phil TX

Ballwin, MO

#3681 May 4, 2013
It s been a year since my resection and early on I had 3 BM's a day which was way more than before surgery and what I thought should be "normal". I wanted to be sure I never got constipated again so I eat extra fiber 4 times a day. All that fiber fills me with gas but I feel that's the price I will have to pay for a healthy colon. Now one year out, even with all the extra fiber, I'm constipated again and down to one BM a day. I'm afraid of another diverticulitis attack and I don't think I can stand another surgery. I'm thinking I should add stool softeners but I've heard they lose effectiveness over time. Anyone have some advice on the use of laxatives and stool softeners?
DianaL

American Canyon, CA

#3682 May 4, 2013
It's been a year and a half for me. I had to try a whole bunch of things to get myself into a "normal" poop pattern. I found taking extra fiber was bulking up my stools too much and making it harder to go. Or Lordy and the gas was killing me! My colo-rectal surgeon when I told him about the fiber and the gas pains told me that some people need to take once Colace a day. Backed off entirely from the extra fiber, eat a normal, healthy diet and poop once or twice a day. It is not consistent, nor am I in what and when I eat but it all seems to work well now. Did start back using VSL3 which really ended my gassiness. Yaay, much better!.
Stuart

Mountain Home, AR

#3683 May 4, 2013
Phil TX wrote:
It s been a year since my resection and early on I had 3 BM's a day which was way more than before surgery and what I thought should be "normal". I wanted to be sure I never got constipated again so I eat extra fiber 4 times a day. All that fiber fills me with gas but I feel that's the price I will have to pay for a healthy colon. Now one year out, even with all the extra fiber, I'm constipated again and down to one BM a day. I'm afraid of another diverticulitis attack and I don't think I can stand another surgery. I'm thinking I should add stool softeners but I've heard they lose effectiveness over time. Anyone have some advice on the use of laxatives and stool softeners?
Phil, I do know that the more fiber you eat, the more water you should drink. Or something like that. How much water are you drinking? Also, why do you think that one BM a day means you're constipated? Have you tried probiotics and enzymes? That won't do anything about constipation, but it's supposed to help you have more normal digestion. Personally, I've tried taking fiber supplements and eating oatmeal, and I find that it gives me near diarrhea. So, I tend to stay away from a lot of fiber. Also, I walk a lot, which seems to help stuff keep moving through my bowels. My doctor told me that it can take a couple of years for the system to get into a more normal groove. Extra fiber 4x a day seems excessive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Recovery time for intestine resectioning surgery? (Nov '07) 2 hr Robin 133
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) 15 hr NJ John 1,294
severe nausea and vomiting after bowel resection (Oct '14) Sep 1 Raylin Sutter 12
Everything started after losing weight! Sep 1 Raylin Sutter 6
High fiber, really? Aug 31 BGK 4
bloody mucus after colon resection Aug 31 Reg in LA 1
Pains on walking, bending etc (Feb '13) Aug 30 Jeannie Kaminski 5
More from around the web