NJ John

Haddonfield, NJ

#3543 Feb 24, 2013
carole wrote:
Thanks all, four days to go to the big day. Have been saying a lot of prayers. Talked to my surgeon and gastro guy on Friday. Feel at ease about the surgery and, thanks to all of you, have a better idea of what to expect. will be going to my GP tomorrow and will talk to him about getting some help at home. Appreciate the thoughts and prayers.
Carole, I was also able to get visiting nurse coverage for a few home visits once I was discharged. Check with your GP to see if your insurance will cover this. This gave my wife reassurance that my recovery was on the right track.
bonnie

Uniontown, PA

#3544 Feb 24, 2013
a year later ..doing well ..but something they didn't tell me ..about 2 months later ..my nerve ending were growing back .....very painful ..but left....i'm doing so much better ...i had 18 inches cut off....i would do it all over again ...i see these stories ..and tell you the truth i don't think i would of had it done....but i did..and i actually can eat everything ..but not a whole lot at one time ..so i graze all day ...seems to work for me..and i never lost weight...the only problem is i can't seem to exercise like i was into..so i walk ...works...so good luck to everyone ..i think the doctor has alot to do with it...so far ..so good...we will see down the road..god bless you all...bonnie
nancy

Pacoima, CA

#3545 Feb 24, 2013
@carole....after care u can handle urself. Nothing heavy lifting. I was 3 weeks post op when my dad died and my husbands mother died the next day. I was the one who had to all the logistics plus move and empty my dads apt.!!! All post op not even one month. Prepare ur house and refridg for broth and jello and egg whites at first. You will do fine. Best!
nancy

Pacoima, CA

#3546 Feb 24, 2013
@ carole......turn around day in hospital seems to be day three. Maybe no pain meds needed. ( then tend to constipate) you will be tired so just go withbwhatvur body tells u.
NJ John

Haddonfield, NJ

#3547 Feb 26, 2013
carole wrote:
Thanks all, four days to go to the big day. Have been saying a lot of prayers. Talked to my surgeon and gastro guy on Friday. Feel at ease about the surgery and, thanks to all of you, have a better idea of what to expect. will be going to my GP tomorrow and will talk to him about getting some help at home. Appreciate the thoughts and prayers.
@Carole - Good luck and God Speed this week! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
bonnie

Uniontown, PA

#3548 Feb 26, 2013
i was on amytripline for migraines ...i gained 50 lbs ...since they were only migraines not something that would kill me ,,,,i went off,,that's an old medicine..why that?
Lee

Syracuse, NY

#3549 Feb 27, 2013
Prayers to Carol and you will be just fine, 3 days in hospital and you will be home just laying around for the first couple of days then you will start to feel much better and want to do more but just take it easy and drink water and walk around the house. I wore a spot around my dining room table... LOL

Does anyone know her or have her number to keep tabs and let everyone else know how she is doing?

Lee
Deb

Columbus, OH

#3550 Feb 27, 2013
bonnie wrote:
i was on amytripline for migraines ...i gained 50 lbs ...since they were only migraines not something that would kill me ,,,,i went off,,that's an old medicine..why that?
For my migraines and also to help with slowing my bowels down and the chronic pain. Only on 10mg a day. I was on topomax for migraines but the doc at Cleveland Clinic thought amytripline would cut down on some of my meds.

Since: Feb 13

Kissimmee, FL

#3551 Mar 1, 2013
Carol I'm at 4 weeks post op. My surgeon & GP have been surprised with how fast my recovery has gone. Yet I have a 7 yr old @ for me it's not fast enough. I had my surgery at 7:30 am and by 1 am the next morning I was up for about a 50 ft walk. Walk, drink tons of water. I started off with making sure that I got 10-15 g of fiber a day & now am at 30-35. I never want diver again! Still going lots but it tends to be right after breakfast & dinner. Swelling was a big thing at first but has mostly left now. Whenever I overdid it the next day I would be super swollen.

On day 5 I came home on day 6 my cat went missing. I hobbled around searching for him for 2 days. He of course came home on his own. I then spent a day in bed in misery for overdoing it. By day 10 the pain was gone & was I was just sore. Not overdoing it is my big struggle I had a day in bed this week due to exhaustion. My muscles are still tight. Next week I'll start walking 2-3 mi a day for exercise & in 2 weeks I'll start some weight lifting.

My only issue now is weight at 6ft tall I had gone from 160 to 140 prior to surgery & since I've only gained back 2 lbs. I'm so concentrated on fiber though that there is little room for junk in my belly. Hopefully I'll gain a few more lbs back as I feel too skinny at the moment. Praying that you have a great outcome.
Babs

Clarkston, GA

#3552 Mar 2, 2013
surgery in one week....trying not to be scared (or scarred),,,some of these posts make me sad for them ..hope they get better and I don't get sick..12" of my ascending colon to be removed...has anyone had ascending colon re-sectioned?
Riley

Wilmington, NC

#3553 Mar 2, 2013
Babs,
It is ok to be worried this is major. I had my resection done 3 weeks ago and the outside incisions are healing up well. I am still tender and sore inside where the reconnections was done. Had bm troubles too, have to take stool softeners.
Remember everyone is different, listen to your body, read the posts and talk to your dr about everything
Babs

Clarkston, GA

#3554 Mar 2, 2013
thanks, Riley...I guess it will not be like falling off a log..but I will have some help..thanks for the good words and continue to feel better. blessings
Babs

Clarkston, GA

#3555 Mar 3, 2013
Carole wrote:
Elizabeth and Lee,
Thanks so much for the information and the encouragement. Your tips on what to expect are certainly helping me prepare for the surgery. 18 days to go and I certainly don't think I'd be feeling this confident if it weren't for you and everyone else on this site. I'm still anxious as I'm sure everyone is who is facing any type of surgery but all of the support I've received from the group is making it easier. God Bless all of you.
Carole
Are you ok? how did it go..looking to surgery on the 18th...hope you are doing fine...praying for you...
NJ John

Cherry Hill, NJ

#3556 Mar 3, 2013
Babs wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you ok? how did it go..looking to surgery on the 18th...hope you are doing fine...praying for you...
Babs, I had surgery in late June, 2012. The concerns are understandable. Everyone has questions, it's understandable and as Riley said, this IS major surgery. I posted my story in the thread "Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ..."

I don't regret having the surgery, I almost cost myself big time by avoiding it. But it's a matter of talking things out - your family, your doctor - and being mentally ready. There can be complications, but there are also a lot of successes.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3557 Mar 3, 2013
Hi all:

Well lets see how much I have been through since Dec. 10th 2012 went to ER with boil on butt
told ER Dr. I was having Pain midrange on tummy he sent me for CAT Scan. That come back as
Bad they told my I needed to have my Gallbladder removed. I had another Appt. At The VAMC so I went to
see my PC Doctor he was on Vacation Just before Christmas to they had me see another PC Doctor and he also said I needed to have Gallbladder reoved I asked if I could wait till after Christmas. He told me i was
playing russian roulett. But I did wait I had another Appt. on Dec 27th for eye exam. I desided to see my PC doctor again this time he was in but wat to busy to see me so he had a asscouate Dr see me he sent me to the ER I spend 28 Hours in the ER then I saw the sugurent and he told me he was going to remove my Gallbladder at 4:00 P.M on Dec 28th woke up in ICU as the sugery recover room was closed they took very good care of me in ICU the next day they sent me to the 7th floor I stayed there till Jan 01 2013
in mean time they took blood test saw that AST was to high so my Cancer Dr. had me have a PET/CT scan
on Feb 8th he said it looked like I still had a small stone in common bile duct that was causing AST to be high I was also told that I did not have any Cancer showing up in my bones.
so my Sargent sent me for an MRI and a Nuclear scan of colon where the Gallbladder was as he saw some fluid where the Gallbladder was that was on Feb 19th test come back as ok . On Feb 28th I had a Colonoscopy and a Endoscopy Done and had 5 polyps removed all small in size. Still waiting on test results
Have another Dr Apt on March 5th to see Cancer Dr.
so maybe he will have some good news for me then.

So Please wish me good luck on the tests

Hope all of my Forum friends are feeling well and God Bless and Teddy Bear Hugs all around

Larry

P.S. I Still feel like I have been beat up by King Kong or his brother Baby Kong

Sorry for me spelling know it sucks hehehehe
Natalie

Montréal, Canada

#3558 Mar 3, 2013
TheRaz Stuart Fl wrote:
Hi all:
Well lets see how much I have been through since Dec. 10th 2012 went to ER with boil on butt
told ER Dr. I was having Pain midrange on tummy he sent me for CAT Scan. That come back as
Bad they told my I needed to have my Gallbladder removed. I had another Appt. At The VAMC so I went to
see my PC Doctor he was on Vacation Just before Christmas to they had me see another PC Doctor and he also said I needed to have Gallbladder reoved I asked if I could wait till after Christmas. He told me i was
playing russian roulett. But I did wait I had another Appt. on Dec 27th for eye exam. I desided to see my PC doctor again this time he was in but wat to busy to see me so he had a asscouate Dr see me he sent me to the ER I spend 28 Hours in the ER then I saw the sugurent and he told me he was going to remove my Gallbladder at 4:00 P.M on Dec 28th woke up in ICU as the sugery recover room was closed they took very good care of me in ICU the next day they sent me to the 7th floor I stayed there till Jan 01 2013
in mean time they took blood test saw that AST was to high so my Cancer Dr. had me have a PET/CT scan
on Feb 8th he said it looked like I still had a small stone in common bile duct that was causing AST to be high I was also told that I did not have any Cancer showing up in my bones.
so my Sargent sent me for an MRI and a Nuclear scan of colon where the Gallbladder was as he saw some fluid where the Gallbladder was that was on Feb 19th test come back as ok . On Feb 28th I had a Colonoscopy and a Endoscopy Done and had 5 polyps removed all small in size. Still waiting on test results
Have another Dr Apt on March 5th to see Cancer Dr.
so maybe he will have some good news for me then.
So Please wish me good luck on the tests
Hope all of my Forum friends are feeling well and God Bless and Teddy Bear Hugs all around
Larry
P.S. I Still feel like I have been beat up by King Kong or his brother Baby Kong
Sorry for me spelling know it sucks hehehehe
Hi Larry, that IS a lot to go through...they say God only gives you what he thinks you can handle....he sure thinks A LOT about you. I wish you the best of luck and only good results from your tests. My family and I are doing really well, thanks for asking about your forum friends!!!
Take care,
Natalie
Georgia

United States

#3559 Mar 3, 2013
WOW, Larry, you have been through a lot. I am hoping you will get back to feeling better real soon. It's about time you have a time of peace with your health. You have already been through so much.
Take care and I am sending lots of hugs your way!!!!
Deb

Columbus, OH

#3560 Mar 4, 2013
Things just never end...NOW I have blood in my stool and in excruciating pain

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3561 Mar 4, 2013
Deb wrote:
Things just never end...NOW I have blood in my stool and in excruciating pain
Deb I sure hope they do not find any thing serious wrong with you and that you will be feeling back to your normal self really soon

God Bless and may he watch over you

Teddy Bear Hugs also

Larry
:-)
Georgia

United States

#3562 Mar 4, 2013
Oh Deb,
I am so sorry you now have this to go through also. I too, hope it is nothing serious and they can fix you up in no time.
Sending lots of prayers and a million hugs!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ADVICE NEEDED 2 years after Sigmoid colon rese... 17 hr applecake 8
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Sat BetsyJean 1,116
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) Fri Dlady35 715
Is this really diverticulitis? Apr 16 Jenny 9
Diverticulitis flare after sigmoid colectomy Apr 15 kfromnj 25
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Apr 15 W Cate 2,340
Chia Seeds and Diverticulitis (May '12) Apr 11 dottie 32
More from around the web