Advice for After Colon Resection?
Bonnie

Barberton, OH

#3503 Feb 8, 2013
I don't know the name. I am sure if he is at the Cleveland Clinic he is good.
You probably know that you can go to clevelandclinic.org and look up his profile, just enter his name under doctors names..
Good luck!
Lee

East Syracuse, NY

#3504 Feb 8, 2013
I had the surgery myself on Nov 29th of last year and I'm just about 2 1/2 months post op and feeling really good. For the first 2 months I was getting fustrated because I wasn't feeling myself but I'm feeling better ever day and starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Carole - I was in the hospital for 3 days and sent home, I had family there but mostly I needed their help the first week when I was going to take a shower. I slept on the couch for the first 3 weeks and had everything I needed at hand and had to ask for little help. My diet consisted of oatmeal, soup, pudding, toast and sometimes a turkey sandwich if I felt up to it and lots of water..... Drink lots of water, I do believe that helped also.... I'm sure you have many more questions so please ask and I will try to answer the best I can. I'm sad that I found this site after my surgery but i'm hear to help anyone who has questions seeing how I'm still in the recovery stage myself..... They are goning to give you pain meds but I was told to only take them if I had to because it will binde you up.... Oh yea, buy a bottle of milk of magnesia and a couple of the cheap bottles of stool softners. I was told to take 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon and I believe that also helped and as of this week I no longer need them.... Take the milk of magnesia if you are feeling like you can't go for at least 3-4 days and you feel it but just can't, it takes time for the large intestine and colon to get back in sync with eachother.

They aren't going to tell you this but I will, you more then likely will be in pain when you have a bowl movement in the area where they put it together and it tries to move through that section for the first 3-4 weeks. I had nobody to talk to or ask and thought something was wrong but please know that it will pass, I just kept some water near me and a wet washcloth to put on the back of my kneck to help ease the pain and keep me in the game.. LOL
Deb

Greensburg, PA

#3505 Feb 8, 2013
Bonnie wrote:
I don't know the name. I am sure if he is at the Cleveland Clinic he is good.
You probably know that you can go to clevelandclinic.org and look up his profile, just enter his name under doctors names..
Good luck!
I did look him up. We'll see don't have too much faith in doctors right now since I have seen so many.
Pat - NH

Derry, NH

#3506 Feb 9, 2013
I had 12" of my left lower intestine removed on Nov, 27, 2012. I went to a wonderful surgeon and Mass. General Hospital in Boston. My recovery was a lot faster than I thought it would be because I am 67. I didn't go back to work until after Christmas because I am a cashier at a very busy supermarket and have to lift a lot of heavy things. Twice now I have had bouts of lower abdominal pain on the same left side. I did go out to eat both nights before also. Had a couple of drinks. It almost feels as if I pulled something down there and didn't know if it takes a long time to heal internally. Advil did help with the pain. I didn't know whether I should call my doctor. Did anybody else get a dull, nagging pain? Hoping to hear back from someone!!
Lee

Yorkville, NY

#3507 Feb 9, 2013
Pat - I get that feeling myself, almost feels like im having a diverticulitis attack. I still get the pain after eating somestuff and just had it today but for the most part its going good. I to was out of work for a long time because i work in a wadehouse. I do notice that there are some days im just not myself energy wise and think its from the surgey
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#3508 Feb 9, 2013
Pat and Lee, you are still healing inside, so don't overdo the heavy lifting or eating the heavy carbohydrates! Make sure the plumbing is always working ok. Drink water. Walk. God bless. Good luck.
Denise in NJ

Riverview, MI

#3509 Feb 10, 2013
the pain on my right side hasn't, stopped. I keep wondering why they took out 3feet of colon. was this too extreme.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3510 Feb 10, 2013
Denise in NJ wrote:
the pain on my right side hasn't, stopped. I keep wondering why they took out 3feet of colon. was this too extreme.
Hi There
most times on a Right Hemi colectomy then remove it all as this is a place where cancer usually starts.
they removed all of my ascending colon right side as it had cancer in it this pain could last up to one year as it takes time to heal it does however it get better as time goes on. Just give it time and do as your Dr. has told you to do also do not over eat and look on like for the mayo clinic diet low fiber

Teddy Bear Hugs and may God Bless and hold your hand in this time of need

Larry :-)
Carole

Mcdonough, GA

#3511 Feb 11, 2013
Elizabeth and Lee,
Thanks so much for the information and the encouragement. Your tips on what to expect are certainly helping me prepare for the surgery. 18 days to go and I certainly don't think I'd be feeling this confident if it weren't for you and everyone else on this site. I'm still anxious as I'm sure everyone is who is facing any type of surgery but all of the support I've received from the group is making it easier. God Bless all of you.
Carole
Lucy

Kissimmee, FL

#3512 Feb 11, 2013
Hi I had my first Diverticulitis attack Nov 30, I spent 4 days in the hospital. Jan 5th I had another severe attack where I was nearly septic & spent 6 days in the hospital. January 31st I had 8 in of my sigmoid colon removed spending another 4 days.I'm eating well & can tolerate most foods. My mobility is limited though as I have 4 laparoscopic wounds then a 4 in bikini line incision. The incision is the part limiting me I have a pouch of fluid there. I see my surgeon tomorrow & I am hoping he will drain it. Are there any tips for preventing the swelling I'm experiencing? I'm 34 & am actually in great health other than this& some mild lung disease. I have an inflammatory disease (Alpha1 Antitrysin Defiency) that my drs believe was the source of my diverticulitis. I'm a former chef but now FT Mom. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris-Perth West Aust

Geelong, Australia

#3513 Feb 12, 2013
Hi guys,

I am 9 weeks post surgery and all feels fine, very little pain anywhere but I am suffering terribly with gas bloating and the desire to go to the toilet all the time, I feel continuous pressure in my bowel and even if I have been to the toilet and had a half decent bowel movement I still feel the pressure to need to go again and this is all day long, I do take Movacol to help when I get backed up.

Just wondering if this is fairly normal and when did other start to see some improvement in this area and can anyone suggest anything I can take to help, really starting to get me down.

Thanks everyone :)
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#3514 Feb 12, 2013
Lucy and Chris-Perth, early days, early days! Eat small meals, try not to eat anything which you know might be gassy. Some people originally thought they became allergic to dairly foods, but I think these actually cause a bit of bloating, so go easy on those. You will be healing for a while yet, inside and out, drink water, walk as much as you can, don't worry about the wind, it is normal (and good, actually) although embarrassing, but will ease off in time. After the op. there is usually a bit of pressure on the rectum, so the desire to "go" is natural, however, don't force it. Good luck, God bless.

Since: Feb 13

Kissimmee, FL

#3515 Feb 13, 2013
Elizabeth wrote:
Lucy and Chris-Perth, early days, early days! Eat small meals, try not to eat anything which you know might be gassy. Some people originally thought they became allergic to dairly foods, but I think these actually cause a bit of bloating, so go easy on those. You will be healing for a while yet, inside and out, drink water, walk as much as you can, don't worry about the wind, it is normal (and good, actually) although embarrassing, but will ease off in time. After the op. there is usually a bit of pressure on the rectum, so the desire to "go" is natural, however, don't force it. Good luck, God bless.
Thank you Elizabeth,
I ended up with some sweating chills after I did some lymphatic massage & when the chills were gone so was the swelling. Yesterday I had my follow up my dr said I was we'll ahead if the normal curve. Just need to slow down my expectations. It is so wonderful to be able to eat without pain for the first time in years. So far I'm very happy with this surgery. The only issue that hasn't gone away yet is with my 1st diver episode I developed Tachycardia & it has persisted every since. Yesterday my resting hr was 139. I'm hopeful that this will go away in time as well. Thank you for the encouragement!!
Lucy

Since: Feb 13

Kissimmee, FL

#3516 Feb 13, 2013
Also I would like to add I started taking Provella & Kefir (plain it takes some getting use to) again last week. It has really helped return healthy bacteria & I have barely any gas even though ive already returned to my high fiber diet. I hope that could help someone else out.
Bonnie

Barberton, OH

#3517 Feb 13, 2013
Deb wrote:
<quoted text>
dr shatnawei my appt is wednesday
Hope you got good news!

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3518 Feb 14, 2013
Chris-Perth West Aust wrote:
Hi guys,
I am 9 weeks post surgery and all feels fine, very little pain anywhere but I am suffering terribly with gas bloating and the desire to go to the toilet all the time, I feel continuous pressure in my bowel and even if I have been to the toilet and had a half decent bowel movement I still feel the pressure to need to go again and this is all day long, I do take Movacol to help when I get backed up.
Just wondering if this is fairly normal and when did other start to see some improvement in this area and can anyone suggest anything I can take to help, really starting to get me down.
Thanks everyone :)
Chris you could try Gas-X of Ausie Equivalent
should get rid of the Gas it did for me also check with your Dr. first
May God Bless and Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry
Deb

Greensburg, PA

#3519 Feb 14, 2013
Hello all,
My appt went great. I have a lidocaine patch for the stabbing burning pain, re-adjusting some meds. If this doesn't work then he is referring me to a surgeon for adhesion removal. Cleveland Clinic is the best. All the docs I have seen have never been so much help as this one. Thank you all for your concerns!!!!
nancy

Los Angeles, CA

#3520 Feb 14, 2013
@ chris. Going all the time is what theh call rubber band effect. Like pulling a band way bavk and shooting it. U get bloated then several trips to the bathroom. It could be that post op u are left with spastic colon cuz of nerve damage at resection. It happens to some like myself. I know how it feels.
Bonnie

Barberton, OH

#3521 Feb 14, 2013
Deb wrote:
Hello all,
My appt went great. I have a lidocaine patch for the stabbing burning pain, re-adjusting some meds. If this doesn't work then he is referring me to a surgeon for adhesion removal. Cleveland Clinic is the best. All the docs I have seen have never been so much help as this one. Thank you all for your concerns!!!!
So very happy for you! I agree Cleveland Clinic ROCKS!
Barbara from Chicago

Mason, MI

#3522 Feb 14, 2013
I had a foot of my colon removed in 2008, and I still have awful bouts with diarhhea. my dr. checked a stool for infection, that was it. My girlfriend told me about Immodium D, she heard a lot of people say it works. I guess that isn't such an awful side effect. I think I have had 5 colonoscopies. Now I am developing diverticulitis. That freaks me out, all the investigating. This getting older really sucks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just out of hospital. .. newly diagnosed. .. oh... 4 hr Alebel 8
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) 11 hr Will get better 2,673
Colonscopy Prep Questions (Jul '10) Mar 23 Kelli 109
Blood in stool 6 months after surgery (Nov '11) Mar 22 Momma L 12
Surgery Mar 21 Sandyg 1
Sluggish bowels Mar 20 jljacoby 1
Diverticulitis surgery (Sep '15) Mar 18 Sandyg 20
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Mar 16 Georgiacath 89
More from around the web