Advice for After Colon Resection?
nancy

Los Angeles, CA

#3423 Jan 5, 2013
I am just saying that I had a benign mass removed with 13 inches of my colon. They do not tell u that this is a very complicated procedure and leave u with misreible side affects. There is no magic pill to reverse the damage done once the resection. I have had the finest care with every exploration to try to get me back to normal. The last doctor told me "don't call us we will call you" if they find a answer. I had to have the mass removed along with the lymph nodes because that thought it was cancer which it wasn't. But it did not belong there and had potential to becoming maglinant. There was no choice for the resection. However, it has forever stolen my life.

Since: Nov 12

Matawan, NJ

#3424 Jan 5, 2013
applecake wrote:
[Hi luvbug:
I'm much better. At the moment just sort of blah and tired. I ended up in the ER with a partial bowel obstruction on Christmas Eve morning at about 4:30 AM. I was there for about 12 hours. The next week I made another trip after eating some leeks, but that resolved on its own.
It's pretty common after abdominal surgery to have adhesions that cause blockages and twists in the bowel. I'm hoping it was just a temporary bump in the road. In general I'm doing well. A little tired and skinny but generally I'm okay.
I'm so sorry to hear how much you are hampered by your pain. Have you had a CT scan?
thanks for asking!]
Applecake,

What a way to spend Christmas Eve :(. How did they resolve the blockage? Did the leeks cause you painful gas? I'm not familiar with them but they sound gassy-lol.
I've had 7 CAT sacns, a Virtual Colonoscopy, and 3 MRI's-one of which was an MR defogram which is what found the rectal and bladder prolapses and dropped uterus and bladder. The scans and regular Mri's found a thickened and twisted colon-why it's that way they are not sure- and focal adnomyosis in uterus-that's like endometriosis but inside the uterus and they say if you have that you probably have endometriosis too. Colonoscopy-I was only able to have one succesful one cause they used the smallest scope they have to do it to get past the twists and folds. This showed I also have extremely severe IBS cause the intestine spasmed onto the scope whenever he moved it. So my abdomen is filled with a lot of things that can cause pain but it's a huge mystery on which one it is so the Drs who recommend surgey want to take everything out and lift my bladder. That sounds crazy to me. Too much at once-figure out where the pain is coming from first because women live with a lot of the things I have and don't have the pain and discomfort I do that debilitates them. I just want to get rid of what's causing the pain/discomfort, not everything in my abdomen!. Other Drs say that surgery can make it worse due to the IBS and potential complications from it so I'm really stuck. Plus anyone in my family who has been in the hospital for anything related to the GI tract has had nothing but complications so that scares me too. Any advice you can throw my way cause I really don't know what to do at this point and I know I can't continue on like this forever. I hope you don't have any more complications. You are always in my thoughts and prayers for a normal and healthy recovery.

Matawan, NJ

#3425 Jan 5, 2013
Nancy from CA,

Have you tried the drug ampitryptoline. After taking it for a while it is suppose to help with abdominal pain cause it works on the intestinal nerves somehow. I tried it but because my colon is thickened causing my issue to be trouble evacuating I could not continue it cause it tends to constipate. I would give it a shot-it couldn't hurt at this point. When they did the exploratory surgery they found nothing? No adhesions or anything like that? I hate to suggest it, but if there are no adhesions,etc., and nothing else is helping, I know it sounds terrible, but maybe you should think about getting the colonostomy bag instead of relying on the painful workings of your intestines. At least you would have a good chance of getting your life back. My aunt put it off for 3 years but now she is pain free and has minimal issues and she has had it now for many years. Don't give up-keep trying different things. Hope some of my suggestions can be helpful and the best of luck to you.

Matawan, NJ

#3426 Jan 5, 2013
After surgery Nancy has wound up with this horribly spastic colon which they call severe IBS, and trust me, it is painful and uncomfortable in a variety of different ways. I already have this severe IBS and some Drs are saying it can become worse after surgery, even the surgeons who want to do the surgery. How can I feel safe going for this surgery if I know there is a good possibility of this. Things are bad enough right now,especially with all of the other things going on in there that I am suffering with, I don't know what I would do if things got worse. Has anyone had this severe IBS/spastic colon before their surgery and are feeling well now? Any support/advise would be appreciated.
Kforte

New Albany, IN

#3427 Jan 6, 2013
My husband is recovering from left sigmoid colectomy day 13 still in the hospital, ended up with a pulmonary embolism. We are hoping to go home today, however, he is nauseated most of the time, and belches a lot.
Elizabeth

Burwood East, Australia

#3428 Jan 6, 2013
Kforte. You can get a prescription to help "out" the nausea. Believe me the belching is good! It will ease off with mild food and gentle exercise after a while. God bless you and your husband.
Nanacy, Luvbug and Applecake, I have just placed you in the arms of St. Jude. May he help and protect you. Faith and hope be yours.
Bonita

Springfield, IL

#3429 Jan 6, 2013
I am 3 weeks out from surgery. Feeling better just today. I had nausea before surgery and after getting better. In my diverticulitis I had an abcess. Thank you God all was benign. Has anyone else experienced nausea? I pray for everyone who has trouble with their colon. It is frustrating.

Matawan, NJ

#3430 Jan 6, 2013
Elizabeth wrote:
[Nancy, Luvbug and Applecake, I have just placed you in the arms of St. Jude. May he help and protect you. Faith and hope be yours.]
Elizabeth,
I can not thank you enough for what you have done for us. It's amazing how people you don't even know can be so kind and caring. Much love is sent your way and I wish you the best in your life. You are greatly appreciated. xxxxxooooo :)
Reina

Cerritos, CA

#3431 Jan 9, 2013
I am due for a resection next week (1/13), looking to hear of other success stories like Joy (thank you!) I'm have a piece of my diver cut off and they will remove a part of my colon. I've been walking alot. Fearful of surgery pain and then after. I know we are all different. Just want to hear something positive. Been dealing w pain for 2 yrs., but since I quit working I'm feeling better. Is there a stress connection too? Thanks, Reina
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#3432 Jan 9, 2013
Luvbug, so kind of you to say that. Thank you.

Reina. I am a success! You are doing well to be walking, it will help to get you mobilized after surgery. Yes there is a stress connection if you read back, but just think, you will have time to relax after surgery, it will help to get over the weakness the operation will bring. And believe it or not, I did not have a great deal of pain from the surgery itself, I was home in a week, weak but almost pain free, minor problems with the bowels tried to assert themselves later and kept me on tenterhooks for awhile, but no more, it was only part of the healing process. It took some time but now 2 and a half years later, yippee! Good luck and God bless.
Soundguy

Ridgeway, OH

#3433 Jan 10, 2013
Hi Reina, another success story here. 3.5 weeks out from resection here and no real problems to report. A little gas pain here and there and the odd twinge or two but other than that the insicion site has been the most agrivating thing. My bowel movements are back to normal in frequency and no bouts of diarrhea to speak of. I am eating a normal diet and feel ready to get back out and enjoy life a little. After the second day out of the hospital it was Tylenol only for the pain and I only took that sparingly for a few days.

The first week was no picnic but was completely manageable with the hospital provided pain meds. I was very anxious about the surgery, and just like the majority here have said, my fears were totally unfounded. Good luck and good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3434 Jan 10, 2013
Hi All:

Hope all are doing fine here. let's hear from Glenda and Mom how are you both doing. I am going on 2 weeks since they removed my Gallbladder a bit if pain still as they had to do this as a open surgery had the Staples out Wednesday the 09th have to go and see the Sargent on the 29th hope he finds all to be good. as I am having a hard time dealing with all of the S&^%T over the last year and 1/2 so. I hope that all of my Forum friends are well and not in any pain Now a days. God Bless you and Hold you and may he help me hand out my Teddy Bear Hugs also <3

Larry
Elizabeth

Reservoir, Australia

#3435 Jan 11, 2013
Larry, I am sure God is giving you the biggest Teddy Bear hug of all. God bless and ever remain cheerful.
Nancy

Columbia, MO

#3436 Jan 11, 2013
I will be 3 months out in a couple of day's. Removed 12 in of my colon where it had narrowed. I still have a lot of pain on my left side and stomach bloating is a lot.....Stool is normal some day's than none for a couple of days. still feel tired.....any thoughts. My stomach feels like a ballon.....
nancy

Santa Ana, CA

#3437 Jan 11, 2013
Nancy wrote:
I will be 3 months out in a couple of day's. Removed 12 in of my colon where it had narrowed. I still have a lot of pain on my left side and stomach bloating is a lot.....Stool is normal some day's than none for a couple of days. still feel tired.....any thoughts. My stomach feels like a ballon.....
the bloating is typical. Unpleasant. No answers. Just a new way of living

Matawan, NJ

#3438 Jan 12, 2013
nancy wrote:
<quoted text>[the bloating is typical. Unpleasant. No answers. Just a new way of living]
Nancy from Anaheim and Nancy from Columbia,

These are the reasons that I keep putting off this surgery. I am debating having it due to the same reasons Nancy from Columbia did- narrowing of my colon due to a thickening in that area. Some Drs say there is also divirticulitis because I have the divirticulosis but some say no but can't explain why there is this thickening. Anyway, I have left side pain and/or uncomfortable bloating every day with much difficulty evacuating. Medicines haven't worked for me at all-some have even made the symptoms worse with no going back to the way it was prior to taking them. And since around March my right side started hurting me too,especially around my period, but not as bad as the left. If the surgery can't take care of these awful symptoms why should I put myself through it? Personally, these symptoms are debilitating to me. I leave the house only to go to Drs. The bloating makes my abdomen so tight that it's uncomfortable to even sit and makes me not want to move around too much. I can't even get into a comfortable position lying down when it is really bad. I think it is mostly trapped gas but I can't release it so I remain extremely bloated. And the more I move the worse the pain in the left side gets. It stiffens and tightens giving me sharp shooting pains that increase when I twist or bend. But lying down and not moving around does help me not feel those pains as much. I figured having this surgery would take care of these things because it would open up the passageway of the colon better but then why are people having the same issues after the surgery. This scares and confuses me. I can't live normally like this now so when you say it is a new way of living I cringe because I know I can't tolerate these symptoms and don't know how to alleviate them after trying everything under the sun besides surgery. And if that's not the answer, then what is? Is the bloating at least not severe after surgery and can you alleviate it by releasing gas? At least then a person can be able to move around and get their life back.
nancy

Los Angeles, CA

#3439 Jan 12, 2013
U should probably get the resection ifv there is narrowing. A colonoscopy should tell the story what is needed.. I never had pain or bloating before the surgery. I had a mass benigh in my colon found on my colonoscopy which was the first iny life. They couldn't finish the test because of the mass the doctor tatoo the mass so the colon surgeon could find it easier. Thankfully it was benign, but I have been left s broken person. Physical and mental.
jason

Westland, MI

#3440 Jan 13, 2013
I had 12 inches removed on Monday. The initial pain was hard to manage. I went home on Wednesday. Past couple of days have been miserable. I feel an extreme tightness to the right of the surgery and no sensation of having to poop from my rectum. I assume that the stool is blocked or restrained at the sore of the surgery. I finally had some movement this morning and i am trying to relax on the couch. I am putting myself on a more liquid diet for a few days to see if it helps.

i have a second problem area, its on the far right side. I think it is in the area where the small intestine enters the large intestine. It almost feels a if something is flopping over something else. I can't tell if it is directly under one of the small incisions or not

Has anyone had this sensation?

Once out "flops over", it kind of "burns" a little

As for the first part of this post, along with the liquid diet,i am going to start taking my fiber supplements again. Five pills, the times a day with a large glad of water.
Craft

Lockhart, TX

#3441 Jan 13, 2013
jason wrote:
I had 12 inches removed on Monday. The initial pain was hard to manage. I went home on Wednesday. Past couple of days have been miserable. I feel an extreme tightness to the right of the surgery and no sensation of having to poop from my rectum. I assume that the stool is blocked or restrained at the sore of the surgery. I finally had some movement this morning and i am trying to relax on the couch. I am putting myself on a more liquid diet for a few days to see if it helps.
i have a second problem area, its on the far right side. I think it is in the area where the small intestine enters the large intestine. It almost feels a if something is flopping over something else. I can't tell if it is directly under one of the small incisions or not
As for the first part of this post, along with the liquid diet,i am going to start taking my fiber supplements again. Five pills, the times a day with a large glad of water.
The flapping thing is something I continue to feel 17 days after surgery. I feel it directly under my larger incision, and I think it's the inflammation causing it. It usually happens when I bend over and move laterally. It feels like its "catching" on something (bladder?); it isn't painful, it just feels weird.
Relaxing on the couch is good but I didn't see you mention anything about walking. Make sure you're walking 4x+ a day, even if it's doing laps around the sofa. Walking continues to help me. I feel "digestion" occurring every time I take a walk.
Good luck and I hope you heal fast!
Craft

Matawan, NJ

#3442 Jan 13, 2013
jason wrote:
[I had 12 inches removed on Monday. The initial pain was hard to manage. I went home on Wednesday. Past couple of days have been miserable. I feel an extreme tightness to the right of the surgery and no sensation of having to poop from my rectum. I assume that the stool is blocked or restrained at the sore of the surgery. I finally had some movement this morning and i am trying to relax on the couch. I am putting myself on a more liquid diet for a few days to see if it helps.
As for the first part of this post, along with the liquid diet,i am going to start taking my fiber supplements again. Five pills, the times a day with a large glad of water.]
Jason,
I would definitely not take any fiber supplements yet, especially if your having trouble moving your bowels. Your still not healed yet and you said you were feeling blocked or restrained . The fiber will bulk your stool and possibly cause you more issues. The stool needs to easily pass the connection area so if you need to take anything you should try a regular stool softener first. Also, call your surgeon and tell him/her what is going on and see what they have to say. Good luck :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do i get a grip and stop worrying? (Apr '16) 2 hr Billyjet 4
Pain and Discomfort 18-months after Colectomy Dec 7 sampson2001 1
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Dec 7 Peroni 2,611
Recurrent diverticulitis after bowel resection (Sep '13) Dec 7 Cathie228 24
Should antibiotics be taken with mild diverticu... Dec 7 donnadonna 6
Colon Wall Thickening as as Symptom of Divertic... (Jun '07) Dec 7 donnadonna 45
News Research findings question effectiveness of ant... Dec 6 Mom4 7
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Nov 29 Bremda 77
More from around the web