tammy

Fort Wayne, IN

#3381 Dec 6, 2012
Luvbug100kNY wrote:
Even though I have not been through what you have I can understand a lot of what you are complaining about. When you are in pain all of the time, maybe some days worse than others, how can you ever know if you need to go to the ER. If you call your Dr and describe what your going through they will always say that you should go to the ER. And I'm not one to run fevers so it makes it even more difficult. I just get chills and feel sick, and that's pretty much all of the time now and struggling with major fatigue like I have a bad cold or flu. I'd be in the ER every day if I ran in for my symptoms-it's frightening not to know what is a true emergency when you have pain constantly.
Now you say you go only once a month. How is it that you don't have at least a partial blockage if you go so little. Partial blockages need to be dealt with. I think you need to find a top Dr in NYC or some place that is known for doing great work with gastroenterology and go there for an opinion. I know you said you saw that one but I've seen a few top Drs too that have just puzzled me and have had other Drs disagree with them so... I've been to countless Drs myself but I keep going, even though I am quite sick of them myself cause I never get any straight answers. You can only hope that one of them will have a different approach. NY Presbyterian/Weill Cornell is a great hospital in NY and so is MT Sinai. Call the head of the colo-rectal surgical dept and see if you can talk to him and what he could recommend.It's worth a try. And I know your in pain but pain killers are extremely constipating so that is definitely adding to the constipation problem. That's why I hate drugs cause they MAY help something but then always cause something else. I can't even take stool softeners/laxatives cause when I do my pains get horribly worse- I have the pains in the lower back and all up my left side from my hip to rib-front and back- and they are pretty bad to begin with-unless I stay basically stationary most of the day-then it's not so bad. So I may be able to evacuate better with them but it's not worth the increased pain. You can try juicing too. It helps with the constipation but you can't use gassy veggies or gas pain will be bad. I'm like you where I can't release gas normally so have to keep away from gassy foods. And I understand your diet too. Mine is so limited because I have to stay away from foods with fiber,gassy foods,foods that are too hard, too oily,seeds and nuts,etc. By the time you are done with what you need to stay away from your not left with the healthiest of options. Cake is soft-I eat a lot of that-my cholesterol doesn't like it though, but I'll be damned if I take another pill that may cause some other problem for me. Turkey sandwiches, chicken, green beans,carrots, and cake is basically all I have discovered doesn't cause things to get worse.
And as far as your children and family my heart breaks hearing you because I feel very much the same. When you constantly have pain-and mine gets worse with movement-how can you care for anyone and be the mom/wife you want to be. It's emotionally devastating. I can barely take care of myself at 43 years old, let alone everyone else I'm suppose to. Crying every day is a ritual. I hope you find some answers soon. Prayers are with you. Don't give up!
LUVBUG: Thank u so much 4 ur kind comment. I do hav partial blockages alot. Used 2 go 2 hosp., but all they did thr I can do @ home 4 $20,000 cheaper. I've lost 1 home 2 hosp bills, I wont lose anothr. I am contacting NY Presb., Mt. Sinai. I've been 2 Cleveland Clinic, contacted Mayo & Germ. Been told by evry1 this is it, get used 2 it, we're sorry. I'm so confused & frustratd. I am gna chk juicing, but yea, no gassy foods EVR! Im also weaning off pain ctr meds. Im sik of the medical community. They did this 2 me, yet cant fix it. Thx 2 all 4 comments. Its helpng me more thn u no. I will keep u all n my prayers.
tammy

Fort Wayne, IN

#3382 Dec 6, 2012
Elizabeth wrote:
There are some people who really need miracles. Tammy, I am praying for you now.
Thank u Elizabeth. I truly do need a miracle and prayers.
T

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#3383 Dec 6, 2012
Tammy,

Here's a testimonial about juicing and how one person became much healthier - to give you an idea that it can be done. This was posted on the Fat Sick & Nearly Dead Facebook page today.

http://juicing4myhealth.blogspot.com/

Honestly, the best thing to do when you're sick and in pain all the time is to watch a lot of documentaries about food and health -- to understand that certain foods cause a lot of diseases and illnesses, and when you eliminate those foods, you will start to feel better, get healthier, have more energy, and many times, reverse many diseases. I've spent many hours this year putting together the following food and health documentary link list, with all the documentaries, YouTube videos, speeches, and lectures I've been able to find. I've watched those with a hyphen after the titles, and I still have a lot more to watch. My favorite videos are Dan McDonald's, Dr. Robert Young, Fat Sick & Nearly Dead, Forks Over Knives, Eating, and many more, including speeches by many of the doctors I've included in the list.

http://juicing.webng.com/docs.html
Wugwam

Encinitas, CA

#3384 Dec 10, 2012
The anastamosis is the point where the surgeons rejoin the resected ends of the colon with sutures or staples. Any suggestions for foods or nutrients that specially help heal this part of the colon in the weeks and months after the surgery?:)
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#3385 Dec 11, 2012
Doctors tell you that you can eat anything, but if you read some of the previous posts, you will find that a well balanced diet full of vitamins (especially the fresh vegy and fruit variety), with plenty of natural fibre, water and not too many constipating carbohydrates, seems to work the best.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3386 Dec 12, 2012
Hi all

Well I was having pain across my tummy and burning pee
so I went to the VAMC ER and waited for what seams to have been 1/2 a life waiting to be seen. time 6 Hours to be seen also have a pressure ulcer they gave me some contrast dye and a CT scan the CT come back as good so they do not know right now where the pain is coming from the Dr. also stuck the pressure ulcer now I have to go to the wound clinic tomorrow the 13th the Dr. put me on CLINDAMYCIN not a fun antibiotic gives you the runs but I have been taking probiotics witch has helped
also the Chemo is still trying to get out of my system still feel weak. well enough for me

I hope that all of forum friends to have a very healthy Christmas and a Very Happy New Year God Be good to all of us and lots of Teddy Bear Hugs to All.

Larry

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3388 Dec 13, 2012
Kimmie

thanks for the info also have a very pleasant Christmas and happy New Year

Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry
Georgia

United States

#3389 Dec 13, 2012
Hi Larry,
I'm sorry you are having a problem, but I'm so happy the CT scan was OK, that it makes everything else not quite so bad. I do hope you are feeling better and stronger really soon. I wish you have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Sending tons of support and bunches of hugs!!!
Tammy

Starkville, MS

#3390 Dec 15, 2012
Joy wrote:
Hi All, I am just a month after my colon resection. I has about 12" of my sigmoid colon removed laparascopically. All my incisions have healed beautifully. My problem is I feel horrible much of the time and am having 10+ bms per day. This is not diarhea, just small soft stools. I have become lactose intolerant since the surgery and can only eat very small amounts. I have several days at a time that I have a lot of gas, stomach gas pains, mild nausea, acid indegestions etc. I did not have these problems before my surgery. I would just like some reassurance that this is not a permanent problem but to be expected after the surgery? I cannot go very far from a bathroom right now so am still working from home... also I tire very easily. Can some of you that had the surgery several months ago... or longer... let me know if you experienced this and how long you think it took to feel completely better and have a normal diet? Thanks for you help and advice, Joy
Have you call your Doctor about the diarhea I did this also and mine said i shouldnt be having this... he told me that it will take up to a year before I felt better... that made my day... I had mine in aug of this year.. and still tired and not feeling like I use to... of course 2 weeks after I went into septic shock.. it appears u made it thru the first month so that is good.. I had mine done with the Da Vince robic wish I had not.. but really you need to tell the doctor about your diarhea stuff.. that shouldnt be happening I have been on pain pill since... so I wish you luck I really do... but call the Doctor ....
Elizabeth

Kew East, Australia

#3391 Dec 15, 2012
Joy, if you read back, many have described the symptons you have. I had them 2 years ago, but do not have them any more. I can go anywhere, it just takes more time to heal than the (would you believe?) the surgical staff tell you.
Laura

Wallingford, CT

#3392 Dec 16, 2012
Has anyone had a cyst removed from their ovaries and had help from a lazy colon without a resection?
Thanks
Don

United States

#3393 Dec 17, 2012
Good Monday Morning All.
I had my surgery last Monday and wanted to let everyone know how it went.
They took about 18 inches of diseased colon out (pathology showed diverticulitis). Fortunately, the surgery was able to be performed laproscopically.
I was in the hospital for four days post-surgery and was able to come home on Friday.
Tha pain hasn't been too bad. Uncomfortable, yes. Unbearable, no. It looks as though the four incision sites are healing well.
My diet has consisted of very small meals. Typically, one egg with a piece of toast. Maybe a muffin, or half a cup of chicken and dumplings. My BMs still have not quite regulated, which is my greatest source of discomfort.
Friday...two BMs. Saturday...one BM. Sunday...no BM. I am hopeful today will be the day to celebrate another BM victory!
That's my saga. I am praying for all of you who have been experiencing issues pre-or post surgery.
Merry Christmas to all!
Don
Jersey Guy

Allentown, NJ

#3394 Dec 17, 2012
I had 6 inches of my sigmoid colon removed 2-1/2 weeks ago. I had been suffering reoccurring diverticulitis attacks over the past 9 months. I have been a vegetarian for 22 years, so it was somewhat of a mystery that I had diverticulitis. I was adopted, so this may be a genetic condition. I also had a very poor diet over my first 30 years consisting of mostly "meat and potatoes", soda, junk food, lots of beer and few vegetables. This caused major constipation and straining. It seems that although I changed my lifestyle, the damage had been done. That out of the way, I spent 7 days in the hospital after having open surgery on Nov 29. The first week at home I resumed my regular diet. I was having stomach cramps,small watery bowel movements, and difficulty peeing. As that week went on, things began to slowly improve. Next thing I know, I'm on the toilet 15 times a day! This lasted 2 days and now my system has slowed down to 2 bm per day. This may be because I had pizza Friday night and the cheese is clogging up the works. I just want anyone looking to have the surgery know that there are good results as well as bad. In preparation for surgery, I went to my acupuncturist once a week. I normally go for the slight arthritis I suffer from as well as depression. She added some needles to build up my immune and digestive systems. This Thursday I am scheduled to get needles that will help drain the toxins from my liver that come along with anesthesia, antibiotics and pain medication. I also take probiotics daily. I wish everyone on this thread good health for the coming new year.
Mary

Lubbock, TX

#3395 Dec 17, 2012
Wugwam: high doses of l-glutamine and probiotics should aid in healing. Don't think the research supports aloe yet. Zinc short-term, and folic acid in high doses to nerve regeneration.
Elizabeth

Footscray, Australia

#3396 Dec 17, 2012
Wishing you all a very healthful Christmas! Those who have not as well as should be expected, I am wishing you painless days, and much needed hope and joy in your lives. God bless, and may the Infant Jesus, who was born in extreme poverty and endured the suffering of us all, give you strength and peace.
My prayers with you all.
Dorothy

Raleigh, NC

#3397 Dec 21, 2012
I had 12 in of colon removed due to initially, doc said diverticulitis. Once he was in there turned out to to be a couple of malignant tumors. My surgery was 7 weeks ago. Huge incision down my bellie from above my bellie button down to my bikini line. Huge incision. Was given a wound vac to expedite the healing process. Although that contrtion was painful, it defiantly hurried the healing along.

Now my biggest problem is this incredible pressure in my rectum. I can't seem to make it go away. Dr put me on narcotics to manage the pain, no luck. The pain is so bad, it affects the strength in my legs, pain down my butt cheeks to continue down my legs. The rectum pain best described as tho a balloon being blown up, up inside of my butt. It's constant. I do I fact have several bm a day if that's what I can call them. It's such a small amount, loose in substance and as green as can be. Sorry for such graphics but I want to know if anyone else has experienced this. This pain is unbearable and I don't know what to do. Doctors say its the stretching of my rectum but couldn't tell me if this will last forever or if I can expect relief anytime soon. Any feed back would be appreciated. My email is dmclinch66@gmail.com. Thank you in advance. I'm desperate for answers, suggestions or just some hope this wont last forever.

Since: Nov 12

Matawan, NJ

#3398 Dec 22, 2012
Dorothy wrote:
[I had 12 in of colon removed due to initially, doc said diverticulitis. Once he was in there turned out to to be a couple of malignant tumors. My surgery was 7 weeks ago. Huge incision down my bellie from above my bellie button down to my bikini line. Huge incision. Was given a wound vac to expedite the healing process. Although that contrtion was painful, it defiantly hurried the healing along.
Now my biggest problem is this incredible pressure in my rectum. I can't seem to make it go away. Dr put me on narcotics to manage the pain, no luck. The pain is so bad, it affects the strength in my legs, pain down my butt cheeks to continue down my legs. The rectum pain best described as tho a balloon being blown up, up inside of my butt. It's constant. I do I fact have several bm a day if that's what I can call them. It's such a small amount, loose in substance and as green as can be. Sorry for such graphics but I want to know if anyone else has experienced this. This pain is unbearable and I don't know what to do. Doctors say its the stretching of my rectum but couldn't tell me if this will last forever or if I can expect relief anytime soon. Any feed back would be appreciated. My email is dmclinch66@gmail.com. Thank you in advance. I'm desperate for answers, suggestions or just some hope this wont last forever.]
Dorothy,
Have you been checked for a C-Dificile infection because that usually causes loose green movements and is suppose to have a an out of the ordinary really bad odor. I've had it myself and didn't even have any of the typical symptoms. And are you taking Mirilax because I find when I take that my stools turn green and I have an elevated amount of pain. Anyway, I would definitely ask your Dr to test you for the C-dificile infection. Before and after surgeries Drs give antibiotics and almost all of them can cause this. The more you take the worse it will get. When I had it _ and I say that mildly because I am in pain and discomfort all of the time so I really wonder if I have ever gotten rid of it- I had terrible cramping, leg pain, and the rectum felt swollen and throbbing. Try to use some aloe wipes because they helped me a bit with the rectal pain. I notice when Drs are on one path- yours being that you just had surgery- they focus just on that and don't think of other possible causes. Good Luck and I hope with more time you heal from whatever the cause so your life goes back to normal. Thoughts and prayers are with you :)
mick

Limerick, Ireland

#3400 Dec 28, 2012
I have had my op on the 4th september,I have been in constant pain, i have been passed to everyone in the hospital. no one has done anything to help.i had my op in the regional hospital in limerick.is there anyone out there who can help me get to the doctors to do something to find out why i am in so much pain. Please help.

you can email at michaelzemroesky@yahoo.co.uk
mick

Limerick, Ireland

#3401 Dec 28, 2012
1 min ago

I have had my op on the 4th september,I have been in constant pain, i have been passed to everyone in the hospital. no one has done anything to help.i had my op in the regional hospital in limerick.is there anyone out there who can help me get to the doctors to do something to find out why i am in so much pain. Please help.

sorry worng email.try this one
michaelzemrowsky@yahoo.co.uk.

Since: Nov 12

Matawan, NJ

#3402 Dec 28, 2012
mick wrote:
1 min ago
[I have had my op on the 4th september,I have been in constant pain, i have been passed to everyone in the hospital. no one has done anything to help.i had my op in the regional hospital in limerick.is there anyone out there who can help me get to the doctors to do something to find out why i am in so much pain. Please help.
sorry worng email.try this one
michaelzemrowsky@yahoo.co.uk.]
Mick,

What are the Drs/Surgeon saying. They have no idea what the problem is. Have they run any tests?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) 11 hr Anne 947
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Dec 24 Meh 2,282
Sigmoid Colectomy for Diverticular Disease Dec 23 NikkiS87 9
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) Dec 21 Pam 713
Has anyone tried the Pain Free Foods Diet? (Dec '13) Dec 21 applecake 32
severe nausea and vomiting after bowel resection Dec 19 Jana 9
Ileostomy or the pouch? Dec 18 sherie 2
More from around the web