Advice for After Colon Resection?
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#3320 Nov 25, 2012
Luvbug. I eventually had surgery (which was overdue or forgotten by the hospital) for div. because I had the rectum prolapse as well and my Dr. wrote to the surgeon to get me in ASAP.
Bowel issues are a minor problem, as I still get constipated, but being positive as WYNLady suggests, is the best idea. Try and avoid the things which trigger the discomfort, and always go to doctor for extended pain, nausea and fevers. I have only had a bit of nausea off and on, and on the whole feel a 100 percent better off the diverticulitis scenario.
Luvbug100k

Matawan, NJ

#3321 Nov 25, 2012
Elizabeth wrote:
[Luvbug. I eventually had surgery (which was overdue or forgotten by the hospital) for div. because I had the rectum prolapse as well and my Dr. wrote to the surgeon to get me in ASAP.
Bowel issues are a minor problem, as I still get constipated, but being positive as WYNLady suggests, is the best idea. Try and avoid the things which trigger the discomfort, and always go to doctor for extended pain, nausea and fevers. I have only had a bit of nausea off and on, and on the whole feel a 100 percent better off the diverticulitis scenario.]
Elizabeth,
The problem I am having is that, except for dairy, I don't have many triggers and it doesn't come in episodes or flare ups. My left side-front and back- from underneath my ribs down to my lower abdominal area - feel it in my hips and across the lower back too- are always in pain. They feel stiff and tight, some days worse than others, but it debilitates me because moving makes the pain of the twisting stiffness in my side worse. It's going on 3 years with drs telling me a bunch of different diagnosis' and it's only getting worse. Only thing they're sure of is the prolapse and the twisted thickened colon( as far as my bowels go) And because it's not a continuous thing and they have ran every test imaginable a large # of times and I've been to the Drs over and over they just don't know what to do for me anymore. One surgeon said it was a functional issue that surgery wouldn't help and that I would have to deal with it the rest of my life. And he's suppose to be one of the top surgeons from Manhattan!! But how can I live the rest of my life without moving around too much and being in bed most of the day? Feels like the intestine will burst, Drs say no but, damn, I know what I'm feeling ! I'm going to wind up with a bunch more problems as well from being so inactive..I was positive the first 2 years this was going on that they would find something to help me but now that I see that the Drs don't know if surgery will help me or not with the pain I have really become down. If they don't know what to do how can I ? And I don't know if you had the chance to read my earlier posts but my 11 year old son is suffering with the same thing and no Dr can pinpoint his pain either except for saying IBS but he's been out of school from the pain all last year and for a month this year so far. Imagine watching your child going through the same pains you are and not being able to do a darn thing to help him. I'm crying right now. I'm so lost. Sorry for venting but I am so very confused, sad, and frustrated. Just wondering, do you get pain with the constipation you experience and how often do you get it? I do- feels like a brick in my side tearing at it. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it :)
Luvbug100k NY

Matawan, NJ

#3322 Nov 25, 2012
Elizabeth,
Oh, and I do have diverse Divirticulosis but they can never positively identify me as having a Divirticulitis infection, just C-dificile which seems to rear it's ugly head about a few times a year which makes it incredibly difficult to treat anything I may come down with due to the fact that it is brought on by most antbiotics. It's been a really tough road !
Mary

Lubbock, TX

#3323 Nov 25, 2012
Luvbug have you and your son been tested for celiac disease? That was causing a lot of my side pain.
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#3324 Nov 25, 2012
Luvbug. I don't get pain from the constipation, but I seem to be more conscious of it than before surgery, as I believe it had something to do with the disease in the first place. Mary's suggestion sounds like another option. It also sounds as if you have a pinched nerve somewhere, which won't show up in any tests unless the test is specific. With your son having the problem too, it could be genetic. Are you on fluoridated water? Some people cannot tolerate that. Did you say you couldn't handle probiotics? If antibiotics cause a flare up, it could also mean an intolerance to those, or lack of the correct flora in your gut. These are all suggestions, and I am sure you have tried most if not all. Prayers for you.

Since: Nov 12

Matawan, NJ

#3325 Nov 26, 2012
Elizabeth and Mary,

My son and I were both tested for Celiac and we do not have it but my son has a sensitivity to wheat/gluten so we have kept him off of it as much as we can for the longest time now.I saw a neurologist who gave me , I believe the test was called an EMG, and said my nerves were fine. Also had a n MRI on the lower back where there was something up with two of the discs but they said no nerves were compacted so I shouldn't have pain.If it is genetic I have a hard time understanding why my son and I would come down with these symptoms at basically the same time. I find that to be very odd. I'm 43 and he is 11. We drink only bottled purified water and yes I have tried the probiotics which only make the pain and cramping severe. I've only started having an issue with antibiotics since this whole gut thing started and they gave me so many that I started to get the c-dificile infection from them. Before this I didn't have too many problems taking them.I took a specialized stool test a while back and it said my flora was normal. Unfortunately, at this point, I've been to almost every type of Dr and tried a ton of remedies which never help or make the pains worse-for both me and my son. One of the strangest things is if a take any sort of stool softener or laxative I go to the bathroom better but the pains become really bad. You would think that if I am evacuating better the pain would lessen. The only thing that feels a little better is the pressure and bloating. Truth of the matter is that I really shouldn't be that backed up because I hardly eat anything. I do go every day, just not that much-again not eating that much-, and it tends to be on the softer side but I guess due to the prolapse I have a hard time evacuating it anyway. GI Drs still say I'm backed up anyway and that is what the side pain is from. Then why never any relief? Their answer is that they don't know. Idk, maybe the one surgeon who said no surgery was right and it is a functional problem so the more I function the more pain I'll be in. Other drs say he's wrong though. I'd hate to have a surgery that straightens the intestinal passage way to find that when I'm functioning more normally I will be in more pain. That would be awful!I couldn't survive being worse off than this. That's the main reason this surgery has been put off so long. I really hope that surgeon is wrong but he's a top Dr in NYC. I just want to sleep all the time because I don't want to wake up to this anymore. All this leaves me extremely confused and stressed but I know I can't go on being this way. There just has to be an answer out there for me somewhere :( Thank you for your help. I truly appreciate it and hope I can find some advice soon that will be the miracle for my son and I.
Don

United States

#3326 Nov 26, 2012
TheRaz Stuart Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Don
I see your copy of Bevis and Butthead teaches spelling sux like mine does hehehehehe hope all will go well for you on your up coming sugary
God Bless and Teddy Bear Hugs
Larry
Thanks for the good wishes and the ribbing as well! I find a little comedic relief helps when one is dealing with issues such as ours!

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3327 Nov 26, 2012
Well I made it one more year today is my Birthday I am now 64 like in the Beatles song. When I am 64 Will you still love me will you still feed me when I'm Sixty Four

To all of my friends here. Best Wishes on a speedy recovery and may God hold your hand on your walk to recovery

Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry
Georgia

United States

#3328 Nov 26, 2012
Hi Larry,
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to wish you a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
I really hope you are going to do something fun for yourself.
Sending you lots of hugs.
Take care
Bonnie

Ravenna, OH

#3329 Nov 26, 2012
Happy Birthday, Larry with many more to come!
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

#3330 Nov 26, 2012
Happy Birthday, Larry!
Chris R

Philadelphia, PA

#3331 Nov 26, 2012
All, I am 38 and 1 month removed for having 9" of my sigmoid removed have suffer Inge from DV for 5 years. Surgery was fairly uncomicated from what I understand and done laproscopically. Have felt mostly bloated and gassy ever since but until recently my gas has been horrendous. To the point where it's obnoxious. Has anyone experienced this ? Will it settle down. I did start taking Metamucil as a supplement (to add about 7g) to my system . I go back to work in a week and am nervous about the foul gas. Help anyone?

Since: Jul 12

Laguna Niguel, CA

#3332 Nov 26, 2012
Happy Birthday Larry and may you have a blessed and healthy year!
Maria

Des Moines, IA

#3333 Nov 27, 2012
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
no no no--i drank the awful 4 liters of prep (which is by far the worst part) then they barely sedated me so I watched the scope travel to the sigmoid resection and he "cynged it" ? I felt a slight pain then he was done. I went home a 1/2 hr later feeling less tired then with other colonoscopys. He only did a partial as he felt sure that was the problem. I never had blood pouring from me, but i noticed it on tissue paper. The prep actually helped get rid of the pool of blood. I don't think i was in dire straits as my CBC was pretty normal.
Hi all-
And here we go again. Bleeding AGAIN. scheduling a colonoscopy AGAIN, upset Again. The Dr says it's the resection healing that's causing bleeding, he said"you have a bleeding disorder-you're going to bleed. I need to go on a bland diet so my food is easier to digest. I also canceled a 7 day cruise tonight that my husband and i planned back in June. I was sad, but ultimatley releaved not to have anxiety and potential health problems by being on a cruise ship in 2 weeks. That's my update, will report more as issues resolve. Thank you for your support. It helps so much.
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

#3334 Nov 27, 2012
Chris R wrote:
All, I am 38 and 1 month removed for having 9" of my sigmoid removed have suffer Inge from DV for 5 years. Surgery was fairly uncomicated from what I understand and done laproscopically. Have felt mostly bloated and gassy ever since but until recently my gas has been horrendous. To the point where it's obnoxious. Has anyone experienced this ? Will it settle down. I did start taking Metamucil as a supplement (to add about 7g) to my system . I go back to work in a week and am nervous about the foul gas. Help anyone?
Hi Chris, I did not have the gas issue, but several others on this site have had it. Have you tried Gas-X, or spoken with your Dr about this? I know, for me, that the metamucil helps alot with my bowel movements and possibly the gas issue (but cannot say for sure since I have not experienced that particular symptom). I am 5 1/2 months out and am doing very well. Good luck on returning to work, hope everything goes smoothly! Anyone else on this site with this symptom, please chime in and help give guidance to Chris.
bonnie

Uniontown, PA

#3335 Nov 27, 2012
i just want to say ..my only problem was constipation..i tryed everything ...finally colace works ..no cramps with it...hope this helps someone ...:)

Since: Jul 12

Laguna Niguel, CA

#3336 Nov 27, 2012
Deb from Mich wrote:
Lovedusty,
I appreciate your comments and won't argue with you about anything, except to say there's a lot of info out there about the things you disagree with me about. And, yes, everyone has their own definition of the "Standard American Diet," and it's not necessarily the items you listed. By the way, I never ate too many fatty foods and didn't eat at fast food joints too often, plus I only drank Pepsi (as far as sugar goes) and avoided sugar products most of the time. I'm referring to the last few years before I changed my diet.
By the way, I've had very little gas or diarrhea since my surgery -- and I haven't taken probiotics (except for two days a few months ago, and they caused a stomachache soon after taking them...not a gut ache, but in the stomach), so I decided they weren't for me. If I wanted to add more good bacteria in my gut, I would eat yogurt, and probably Greek yogurt.
Yes, we are all different, and I'm only sharing my experiences, as everyone else does. I'm not forcing or trying to talk anyone into doing anything I've done. Please don't take it that way, because I don't mean it that way.
Hi Deb, I do not take it negatively at all. I know we have differences of opinion on certain matters and I feel differences can be good. It stimulates our mind and leads to further research.

Good health to you!

Lovedusty

Matawan, NJ

#3337 Nov 28, 2012
Elizabeth wrote:
[Luvbug, I really feel helpless. Your symptoms are humongous! In the "old days" chicken broth was always recommended for the ill, and surprisingly enough it seems to be coming back into vogue. With the twisted bowel mushy foods seem to be in order,and even though you are loath to return to surgery, it sounds like some sort of invasive technique may still be the answer. However, try all the above suggestions as long as they don't make you worse. Everyone on the forum is very helpful. I had bad constipation, and a prolapsed rectum. The rectal disorder was mended with the div. surgery but I still have a certain amount of constipation for which I take; as others do, a type of laxative every two or three weeks. God bless.]
Elizabeth,
Is that the reason you had the surgery-for the prolapse and constipation due to it? Were there other issues too? Did you have a twisted colon and divirticulosis pockets? Did the constipation cause you a lot of pain before the surgery/now? How long has it been since you had it done? Did laxatives cause you any sort of pain prior to surgery because they cause me a great deal of it from very bad cramping(not your normal cramping from a laxative), to very bad throbbing lower back pain and left side pain where it feels like a knife is stabbing or cutting my intestine. I actually have to wait a few days in order for it to calm down a bit after using something as mils as Miralax but of course still have constant pain generally-especially the more I move around.I actually have not had the surgery yet due to the Drs indecisiveness- some say it may help,others say it will make it worse cause it's a functional issue, and some say it may just leave me exactly the same so why go through it. And on top of all that I have lost every bit of my energy the past few months and feel sick and sort of out of breath all the time.You wouldn't think I would with all this going on but I do smoke a small amount because it's the only thing I've found so far that helps to stimulate a movement somewhat without the painful aftermath. Everyone seems to be very different with they're symptoms and every Dr I see says I have a very complicated case-just their way of saying they don't know exactly how to help me. They tell me it's not life-threatening but it certainly doesn't feel that way and if they don't know what to do to help how can they even be sure of that. It's only been getting worse over time with more and different symptoms adding on so what am I to think? I have really been left in the dark with this whole thing.I hope you are doing better with the constipation.I'd definitely have the surgery if the only complication I had was a non-painful constipation once or twice a month but no guaranties unfortunately. Crazy thing is that I never had any problems taking laxatives/stool softeners prior to my first hospitalization 3 years ago for what they defined a rectal infection. Everything just started with this infection and then progressed.Thank you for your input :)

Matawan, NJ

#3338 Nov 28, 2012
lovedusty wrote:
Luvbug,
[I am also so sorry about your present condition. It seems to me that you might try seeing a good nutrionist in your area. They can help you with diet and supplements. With very little food intake you will likely need supplements to supply your body with all the essential nutrients/minerals it needs.
Try asking friends or doctor's office for the names of a few good ones.
Also, acupuncture might help with both the pain and inflammation.
Again, I am so sorry you are going through this.]
Lovedusty,
Thank you for the advise. I have seen all of the above mentioned. Acupuncture made the spasms worse-not sure how good she was though, but when something hurts you, you tend not to want to try it again. And the nutritionists keep giving me this general type diet which is suppose to be good for a normal colon with regular digestive issues- even after knowing about the twists and thickening. If the Dr needed the smallest possible scope to make it through my colon then how could they think bulking up my stool is a good idea? can barely pass anything at all when i do that. Plus, I don't just have trouble passing even softer stool I can't pass gas easily either so the gassy veggies that they try to push on me are a definite no no. Then, after going through this with them they don't know what to suggest anymore- like I'm being difficult. When I say I hit brick walls everywhere I turn it is unfortunately no under statement. It is extremely depressing and frustrating.One of my main fears though is because all of the Drs have differing opinions on me having this surgery that it goes so far that it turns into an ER situation. My symptoms keep getting worse so I don't understand what these Drs think I should be doing for it with no suggestions on their part. I'm suppose to be caring for a family but instead am in bed most of the time complaining. How are you doing post surgery? Why did you have it done and what were your symptoms like? How was your recovery?

Matawan, NJ

#3339 Nov 28, 2012
nancy wrote:
[Luvbug.....i am 2 1/2 years post colon resection. Misrible everyday. House bound. The doctor says don't call us we will call you if we have any answers.]
Nancy,
What do the Drs say about this? Why was the surgery done and what was it done for? What symptoms were you having prior and what are they like now? Where did you have it done? I feel deeply for anyone who is going through what I am experiencing because people don't understand that this type of pain is extremely debilitating.. Anything in your abdomen area effects your whole motion and I don't know about you, but the more I move the worse it gets. But then not moving isn't good either- I know first hand. It effects your muscles. My leg muscles just tighten up and spasm on their own the past year or so. How is your eating? Mine is terrible cause I fill up so quickly and also the more I eat the more stool there is to bulk up, and then more stiffness and pain. So basically I don't eat as much as I should and am at a whopping 98lbs at 43. I had mentioned it in one of my posts but a lot of things that the Drs and others suggest like pro-biotics and certain supplements are great for most people-especially people who experience diarhea- but they do not help all people. They are terrible for me. Something like ALIGN-a pro-biotic -and even just a yogurt will elevate the pain in my intestines/ abdomen incredibly. So if you are using these types of things try stopping for a while and see if that helps. Stay away from dairy too-it tends to be a big trigger for a lot of people. It was for me. Hope you start to improve. Prayers and thoughts are with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happens when part of colon is removed? (Dec '07) Jun 18 Motherof386 42
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Jun 18 PseudoFatAss 2,708
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Jun 17 Tummyache1958 93
Might my diverticulitis have been the cause of ... (Mar '12) Jun 16 Lola P 15
Colonscopy Prep Questions (Jul '10) Jun 14 Jwill88 114
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) Jun 12 Lori P 754
Colon Wall Thickening as as Symptom of Divertic... (Jun '07) Jun 9 Kathleen 53
More from around the web