Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#2993 Sep 12, 2012
Joann wrote:
I had part of my colon removed due to diverticulitis about a month ago. I had a lot of adhesions also from previous hysterectomy. I am healing slowly, but my biggest complaint is cramping during urination. Is anyone else experiencing same?
Joann,

I had some pain during the first eight weeks after my colon resection surgery in the bladder area, mainly at the anastomosis site where the remaining colon was joined at the rectum. It can take several weeks for that area to heal, so, hopefully, your cramping will gradually go away. The best thing I wish I would have done more of was to drink lots of water each day, to soften the stools, which would have helped to reduce the pain in that area.

Good luck!
nancy

Los Angeles, CA

#2994 Sep 12, 2012
lovedusty wrote:
Nancy, what is the name of the medicaation for muscle spasms?
hyoscyamine. For spasms. Twice a day.

Since: Jul 12

Laguna Hills, CA

#2995 Sep 12, 2012
nancy wrote:
<quoted text> hyoscyamine. For spasms. Twice a day.
Thank you!
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

#2996 Sep 12, 2012
Janae - I think today was your 2nd surgery. Just wanted you to know that we are all thinking about you! Hope everything went well and you can start healing! Let us know how you are doing.
WNYLady

Fairport, NY

#2997 Sep 13, 2012
Best wishes to Janea! Let us know how you are doing.{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Deb~Just found out what part of the pain is that I am experiencing...check this out...lucky has MRSA in my open incision. I had a lot of pain over the weekend so I went to an urgent care medical center. The dr said it did not look bad but took a culture anyway and gave me a script for Bactrim. Lo and behold they called me this AM and like I said, it's MRSA. I'm thinking, seriously, is there anything else that van go wrong!!? My incision got infected after surgery, supposedly not MRSA, but now I wonder. I have been walking around with an open incision healing from the inside out, bowel issues up the ying yang and now THIS! Mirror, mirror on the wall...I am my mother after all. She had the exact same recovery! Aaargh! You just have to laugh, what else can you do?!? Lol
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#2998 Sep 13, 2012
WNYLady. How full of pain you must be! But excuse my ignorance, what is MRSA?

Laguna Hills, CA

#2999 Sep 13, 2012
Elizabeth wrote:
I was going to ask the same question.
Mom

Overland Park, KS

#3000 Sep 13, 2012
Elizabeth wrote:
MRSA is methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus. It is a pretty nasty germ because it is difficult to get rid of. It needs to be cultured and tested to see what it is sensitive to.

Laguna Hills, CA

#3001 Sep 13, 2012
Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
MRSA is methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus. It is a pretty nasty germ because it is difficult to get rid of. It needs to be cultured and tested to see what it is sensitive to.
Thank you Mom!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#3002 Sep 14, 2012
WNYLady: So sorry you have to deal with that. Are you working?

Janae: Sending you best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery. Thinking of you!
WNYLady

Fairport, NY

#3003 Sep 14, 2012
Thanks applecake! I am back at my full time job but not the part time. I don't know if I can handle it. I see the surgeon on Monday. Like I told you as long as I stick to my routine, I do okay with my bowels. Any deviation and it is the same old, same old. I am not sure about this whole MRSA thing though. I have heard from some that once you have it, you have it forever. I have a ton of questions for the surgeon.
Good wishes to everyone!
Mom

Overland Park, KS

#3004 Sep 14, 2012
WNYLady wrote:
Thanks applecake! I am back at my full time job but not the part time. I don't know if I can handle it. I see the surgeon on Monday. Like I told you as long as I stick to my routine, I do okay with my bowels. Any deviation and it is the same old, same old. I am not sure about this whole MRSA thing though. I have heard from some that once you have it, you have it forever. I have a ton of questions for the surgeon.
Good wishes to everyone!
Talk to your surgeon about the MRSA. Just because you currently have an MRSA infection does not mean you will always have an MRSA infection. It can be treated and the infection can be resolved.

There is a difference between an infection and being colonized. Any germ can run wild and create an infection. At that point it is a problem. When you are colonized, it means you are not sick with an infection. The germ is just there. I don't know that it is a given that you be colonized and will have it forever. That you will have to ask your surgeon. I do know MRSA is treatable, just not with methicillin. In order for them to know you have MRSA, they had to have cultured it. If the cultured it, they did a sensitivity screen. If they have a sensitivity screen, they will know what to put you on and can tell you what else it is sensitive to. Having had it, it does likely mean that they will isolate you if you are re-admitted even if you are only colonized-- not necessarily because the MRSA is making you sick but because other patients might be immuno-compromised. It has it's perks. You will get a private room.

I am so glad work is going along ok. That is awesome. I am glad to hear it, although I doubt it is an easy thing for you. You still have a lot going on,
Elizabeth

Balwyn North, Australia

#3005 Sep 14, 2012
Thank you for all the information. It sounds very nasty. Perhaps lots of fresh fruit and vegetables
may help to clear the infection. I don't know, but the body can be known to become immune to lots of antibiotics. That's why probiotics are also recommended.
glenda

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3006 Sep 15, 2012
hey guys its been awhile and im still fighting pain everyday never ending but some how im getting by day by day,which is no way to live but its all i have at the moment so im doing the best i can..went to my pc thursday after waiting 3months for the appt.and he is sending me back to G.I.what else is new her we go again, i go on the 18th dont know what he is going to say just getting so tired of the whole the the surgeon has cut me lose and says nothing he can do to help and he dosent see a problem yeah well its not him in terrible pain every day so i guess he dosent have one i do..but anyway i have been reading the post and glad to see some old friends on hope you all are doing better,there's one new person who broke my heart,sick and tired this is to you i have been where you are i have had those fellings of not wanting to live anymore because of the pain and all the docs. saying they cant or wont help me or cant find a reason for the pain its a hard road and a lonely one being sick and in pain and nobody understands how bad it is i feel for you,im going through it to its been 10monthsand im no better today than i was before the sugery that being said i just want you to know that your not alone and what help me a great deal was to talk to others that are going through it and this forum has helped me so much these people are here for you and dont judge so poor your little heart out its ok..it really dose help i was were you are till i found these great people.godbless you and hope to hear from you dont give up.mom deb,larry and the rest cant name all hope you guys are well xoxo glenda
glenda

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3007 Sep 15, 2012
TheRaz Stuart Fl wrote:
Hi All
Well I am still alive going to start 5th round of Chemo on Tuesday The 4th not looking forward to this as each month it gets worst then the month B4
Hope all are doing well and God Bless
Teddy Bear Hugs
Larry
hey larry just wanted to say im sorry for all your going through and wish you well been awall for a bit just trying to deal with my own reality godbless and lots of hugs..be strong glenda xoxo

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#3008 Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for the kind words... I really hope you start to feel better glenda May God be strong for you also and My Teddy Bear Hugs also
Larry

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#3009 Sep 15, 2012
Hoping Janae's op went okay.
bonnie

Uniontown, PA

#3010 Sep 15, 2012
i have trouble, constipation..take something to go and then to much and i feel like spasm ..what to do>
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

#3011 Sep 15, 2012
Hi Bonnie -- Don't know your story or how far post op you are...but I am just past 13 weeks post-op. I have found that if I keep my fiber in the range of 20-30g's per day, I don't have any issues and I have "normal" BM's. I just had my brother as a house guest for a week and failed to keep up with my fiber (as I was trying to make things that he liked); had diarreah for three days. Once I realized what was happening, it took a few days of "getting back on track". For me, it is very important that I maintain my daily fiber. It seems if I keep my fiber in check, everything else is good....but please understand that this is MY experience, everyone is different. GOOD LUCK!
Terri

Madison, MS

#3012 Sep 16, 2012
I drink a glass of prune juice each morning and have two cups of coffee. That works for me. If I skip the prune juice, no bm. But like Bonnie said, everyone is different. Just have to try different things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Wed Anne 945
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Wed Meh 2,282
Sigmoid Colectomy for Diverticular Disease Dec 23 NikkiS87 9
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) Dec 21 Pam 713
Has anyone tried the Pain Free Foods Diet? (Dec '13) Dec 21 applecake 32
severe nausea and vomiting after bowel resection Dec 19 Jana 9
Ileostomy or the pouch? Dec 18 sherie 2
More from around the web