KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

#2792 Aug 6, 2012
Terri - Yes, you, Janae and I are all within weeks of each other. I'm just a little bit further along. My doctor told me to stay on the low res/low fiber diet for "a few weeks." My body was screaming for more nutritious food so at three weeks post op, I slowly started adding healthier foods back in my diet. Once I did that, I started feeling much better.

As for the nuts, seeds, broccoli, popcorn, raw mushrooms, and cauliflower, I have eaten everything EXCEPT popcorn and have had no problems. I just have to make sure I get enough daily fiber or I get stopped up.
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

#2793 Aug 6, 2012
Janae – I am so sorry you are feeling down in the dumps today, it does get better! I slept a lot during the first weeks I was home and had absolutely no energy. I wasn’t in pain, just felt exhausted. My rear end got so sore from sitting or lying down all the time. It wasn’t until last week when I realized I no longer required a nap every afternoon. I didn’t have staples, so I can’t comment too much on that, but I can tell you that over the weeks I would notice tenderness around my incision that would come and go and it was different each day. I wouldn’t worry too much about the tinge of pink, it is probably just something to do with the surgery. But if it gets worse or you start having other symptoms along with it, definitely call your doctor! I wish there was something I could say that would make you feel better, but just know that this is a process and your body is healing. Feel better sweetie, we are all here for you, so reach out!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#2794 Aug 6, 2012
Janae-

On my last day in the hospital (for the second time) after my surgery, a surgeon from the group came to visit me and gave me some advice that I really needed at the time. Among other things, he said:

"Recovering from surgery is not an ascending staircase. You do not just go up and up and up. You go up. And then you go down. And then you go up a bit more. And then you go down again. So go easy. You'll get there."

Sometimes it's three steps up and one step down, or it feels like three steps down and one step up some days. And some days you just need to sleep. Sometimes just walking around my apartment was enough for me. Eventually, I got my Vibrams on and went for a "run" (read: jogging with baby steps).:-)

I think I was pretty low on iron after my surgery. I got dizzy really easily when I stood up and I was super tired for weeks. By 3 o'clock I was done for the day. It just takes a while to really get your energy back.

Among the soft foods that helped me recover were:
-chopped liver (iron)
-miso soup
-chicken soup with teeny chopped spinach, chopped avocado, carrots, zukes
-Floradix iron & herb supplement
-Swanson's Ultimate Probiotic

Terri:
I posted that study on nuts, popcorn, corn and seeds at the google group in case you want to read it. My take on it is: listen to your body. I eat nuts (I chew them). I also eat strawberries and berries (I love them). For some reason, corn and popcorn, I try to steer clear of. Since my colostomy corn comes out the same way it goes in. I used to eat tons of popcorn, and now, well....I don't! I just freaks me out. But it's probably fine. I went back to eating gluten so I could gain weight, but I'm starting to back off that again now and I think I'm feeling better as a result.

BTW I also posted the article on aspirin and NSAIDs on the google group in case anyone is interested.
Terri

Madison, MS

#2795 Aug 6, 2012
Thanks, Applecake, I will read that article. I am a foodaholic so I am very interested in what I can and cannot eat.

Janae, I was down LOTS of days, in fact MOST days. If I wasn't depressed, I was anxious. It DOES get better. I can hardly believe it, but it does. As your body recovers, so will your spirits. That surgery is EXHAUSTING. You are just worn out. I have always been high energy and I could not believe how tired I was. Sleeping and resting is what you should be doing. That is taking care of yourself and allowing your body to heal. It won't be like this forever. Tomorrow makes five weeks for me, and it was my fourth week that things started turning around for me energy wise.

Take care of yourself - and don't worry that you're not doing much. You're healing and resting your body. Very soon you will be your old self and this will all just be a distant memory.
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

#2796 Aug 6, 2012
Funny, but true....I have not had the "gas" issue that some of you have reported after having this surgery and have felt very lucky and blessed. Then today, it was like multiple explosions. My first thought was uh-oh here we go. For most of the day, I have been combing over everything I have eaten recently and could not come up with anything that would have caused this issue. THEN I REMEMBERED!!! Fearing I had not had enough fiber yesterday, and in an effort to "catch up" on my fiber intake for the day, I ate a 7.75oz can of Beanee Weenee's that had 8 grams. Since my surgery, I have eaten many types of beans with no side effects whatsoever. It didn't even cross my mind to expect such a side effect. Note to self: Beanee Weenee's = GAS (for me)!! LOL, now I know.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#2797 Aug 6, 2012
LOL OMG. Just the name Beanee Weenee's screams DO NOT EAT ME EVER -- and definitely not if you have Diverticular Disease. ;-)

Funniest thing -- I was living on homemade hummus for a while after my surgery and I was mystified by why I was literally in constant pain. I was telling myself "everything I eat hurts!" But the fact was, I was taking little scoops of hummus all day long, so my intestines were hurting all day long. Finally my Afghani hairdresser told me to stop immediately. She was like, "What? That will KILL YOU! That will make you VERY constipated". I did stop and the pain stopped. I thought that since they were blended and soft, they would be easy to digest. Not so.

The lamest thing is that I'd told at least 2 nutritionists that I'd been eating tons of homemade hummus and they said nothing. Apologies to all the nutritionists out there, but so many of them are totally lame when it comes to good advice. Afghani hairdressers, however, are the BEST!:-)
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

#2798 Aug 6, 2012
Applecake - LOL, I agree! But it was what was readily available in my pantry (with high fiber). Live and learn, right? I also love hummus, but have not had it since surgery...think I will skip past that one!!!!(Thanks for the heads-up)
Mom

Overland Park, KS

#2799 Aug 6, 2012
Janae wrote:
This Wed will be 2 weeks from surgery. I am doing well but still passing a lot of gas, not much appetite and Having several bm's/day. This morning I noticed a tinge of pink on toliet tissue when I pp so hope nothing is going on there with bladder. So far everything has been fine. I do think tho that I am more tender and sore feeling today. It feels like my staples are pulling some. I am suppose to get those out this week. I am having to make myself get up off the couch and walk. I could really just lie there all day and sleep or watch TV. Just being really lazy...not like me at all:)Trying to think positive but in all honesty I feel a little down today.
I know 2 weeks feels like an eternity when you don't feel good, you want to be better and you are used to a busy active lifestyle, but in surgical healing, especially a surgery after a complex illness like the diver, it just takes more time. The best advise I got was to be kind to myself-- to show myself the kindness I would gladly give others. They were right. I would give it to others, but I found giving it to myself was extraordinarily difficult and I found that I was anxious depressed, fatalistic, frustrated, irritated, discouraged...all of those at times because I couldn't control my rate of healing ( meaning hurry it up) and I wanted to go and do things ( like go back to work, go on vacation..go to the beach....you know, live my life the way I was used to.) I would take a few forward steps and lose a step...sometimes two. I had days where the couch was my home and the move from my bed to my couch was way too far and days where I felt pretty good.( with pain meds on board) I would give the same advice, be kind and gentle with yourself. Rest really does heal. Walking helps when you are able.

I found company helped the depression-- even if we just watched tv. Having the kid (s) hang out and watch a movie helped...even when I was sitting through movies targeted for teenage boys. It just helped to have them nearby and friends to just be. I can't tell you how much that reduced my anxiety as well. I'm usually a go getter and busy and doing. I'm usually insufferably cheerful, but I can tell you, those other emotions snuck in and often wrestled to rule. I would probably not be too bold if I were to say that is true for most of us at times with this illness.

I will add you to my prayer list and wish for you happy thoughts. It does get better and one day, you wake up and you think, I feel great today. It just takes time. I am so glad for those who kept telling me feeling good was just around the corner and to keep the faith. They had walked through it themselves so they knew.....and they were right. I bet you won't even need to be all better before you have that morning where you wake up feeling great.
Janae

Benson, NC

#2800 Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I am so blessed to have friends on this forum. This helps me more than anything just to know that what I am feeling is normal.
I will say that today I feel a little better as far as the burning pain i kept feeling yesterday in my belly. I had several bm's yesterday but today only had one this morning so far and it actually had some formation and my belly did feel as raw and irritated afterwards. Still not eating anything but soft..ie..mashed potatoes, applesauce,grits and eggs and drinking boost high protein drink...still not much appetite anyway so I am ok with the diet for now.
Thanks for the prayers. You all are in mine too. We will get thru this!!!
glenda

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2801 Aug 7, 2012
hey guys,glad to see most are doing well im happy for you all,as for me nothing has changed im waiting for my appt. in sept.the 9th is when i go they wont see me any sooner..so wish i had the money to go to a new doctor.. but most wont even take me anyway nobody seems to want to get envoled with this mess that the surgeons have left me with. i still think after all the test they did catscans ony by the way there missing something the pain feels like a wound deep in deep inside about 2inches below my belly button and still on the left side were to resection was put back together.had a diver attack last week got some cipro from last time and started taking it after a week i started feeling alittle better but the pain never stops..so i have been getting some pain pills of my son who has a back injury and that has made me fell like a piece of crap that i have been pushed to this in order to get through my day and be able to stand up with out holding my gut and being able to walk..its that bad and they wont get it i dont know why they just say we dont see anything.as im writing this im crying because i wish i had better news.but anyway glad for those who are doing well and praying for those who are still having a hard time.take care all.
Deb

Columbus, OH

#2802 Aug 7, 2012
glenda wrote:
hey guys,glad to see most are doing well im happy for you all,as for me nothing has changed im waiting for my appt. in sept.the 9th is when i go they wont see me any sooner..so wish i had the money to go to a new doctor.. but most wont even take me anyway nobody seems to want to get envoled with this mess that the surgeons have left me with. i still think after all the test they did catscans ony by the way there missing something the pain feels like a wound deep in deep inside about 2inches below my belly button and still on the left side were to resection was put back together.had a diver attack last week got some cipro from last time and started taking it after a week i started feeling alittle better but the pain never stops..so i have been getting some pain pills of my son who has a back injury and that has made me fell like a piece of crap that i have been pushed to this in order to get through my day and be able to stand up with out holding my gut and being able to walk..its that bad and they wont get it i dont know why they just say we dont see anything.as im writing this im crying because i wish i had better news.but anyway glad for those who are doing well and praying for those who are still having a hard time.take care all.
Glenda,
Except for your other surgeries, we are some much alike. I grab at my belly all the time. My new gyn gave me muscle relaxers. I am on so many pain meds now that CVS calls me when I get a new one hahahha. I know how you feel I cry ALL of the time. But one of my meds has an anti-depressant in it so I think that may be helping.
You are ALL in my thoughts and prayers. I have been struggling for a year and a half with pain since my surgery, so for you newbies if you are not in pain after a month or so you are so very lucky. There are so many of us that stay in pain for a very long and seek multiple docs in mutliple fields!!! Blessing to your all. XOXO
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

#2803 Aug 7, 2012
Glenda / Deb -- Oh Wow!!!! I cannot even imagine what the two of you are going through. I don't know what to say. I am so sorry to hear you are dealing with depression on top of recovery (which has been quite a long time for both of you). Don't stop in your quest to find relief...it MUST be out there somewhere. Thoughts and prayers are with both of you.
Janae

Benson, NC

#2804 Aug 8, 2012
OK guys, what is this burning raw sensation I feel in my belly. Is it the gas passing thru an irritated colon? Kept me awake most of last night. Not severe pain, just raw burning discomfort. I can pass gas then it seems to eases off some and then come back.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#2805 Aug 8, 2012
Well Guys I am still alive after 3 chemo IV's have one more to take next monday the 13th then the shots that make my bones hurt (neuprogen) makes more white cells
so far gut has been feeling ok and been able to eat ok
I really hope this will be the last month but with my luck will have to take all 6 courses of the chemo this is course 4 of the chemo

well All of my friends that are recovering I hope you are starting to feel a lot better May God Hold Your hand on your road to recovery also

Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry :-)

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#2806 Aug 8, 2012
Janae wrote:
OK guys, what is this burning raw sensation I feel in my belly. Is it the gas passing thru an irritated colon? Kept me awake most of last night. Not severe pain, just raw burning discomfort. I can pass gas then it seems to eases off some and then come back.
You may want to ask the DR. if it is ok to take some Gas-X this helped me in the past for that burning feeling

Heal well and God Bless

Larry :-)
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

#2807 Aug 8, 2012
Janae wrote:
Are you drinking orange juice? I had a glass a few weeks ago with my breakfast and later that day, I had a burning sensation, but not the "raw" feeling you describe. The only thing I could come up with was the OJ. Haven't had any since and the sensation hasn't returned. Usually, I can pin-point a discomfort to a certain food or something I drink...just a thought! Keeping a food diary may help because we tend to forget exactly what we eat during the day, like my issue the other day with the Beanie Weanies! lol
Janae

Benson, NC

#2808 Aug 8, 2012
Maybe it was just the irritation of all the stuff moving thru the intestines because I have had about 5 massive trips to bathroom today and am feeling a lot better. Was able to have a long nap this pm. I've only been eating like mashed pot. and applesauce and glucerna shakes but have been craving a pancake so am trying a small one this afternoon with just a "little" syrup. Hope this doesn't hurt me..not whole wheat just plain pancake.
Deb

Columbus, OH

#2809 Aug 10, 2012
Good morning all
I am seeing a phycial therapist now to strengthen my pelvic floor. Because of all of the scar tissue I have that is what is causing all of my pain. My first appointment was yesterday and she said it is no wonder I am in so much pain. So for 8 weeks, one day a week she will be manually manipulating and alos using electrob therapy. So for all of my friends here that are still suffering in pain, please ask about pelvic floor strenthening. There is light at the end of the tunnel...finally
Deb

Mason, MI

#2810 Aug 10, 2012
Deb,

I sure hope the PT helps to get rid of your pain! I've been very worried and concerned about you and the others who are still coping with pain after surgery.
Deb

Columbus, OH

#2811 Aug 10, 2012
Deb wrote:
Deb,
I sure hope the PT helps to get rid of your pain! I've been very worried and concerned about you and the others who are still coping with pain after surgery.
Thank you I am very hopeful, my therapist is too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) 6 hr JodyLyn 27
Surgery or Not? (Mar '14) 9 hr Onespeed 29
Chia Seeds and Diverticulitis (May '12) Mon JackyDon 31
travelling with diverticulitis?? (Jun '10) Mon Onespeed 14
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Mon Betsy 1,020
Diarrhea 6 months post colon resection (Sep '08) Jan 24 jackie blevins 227
Has anyone tried the Pain Free Foods Diet? (Dec '13) Jan 23 applecake 37
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Jan 15 sherie 2,297
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) Dec '14 Pam 713
More from around the web