DianaL

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Oh Deb, I so hope that is it and you are pain free soon!
Mom

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Deb wrote:
Hello All,
Well here is my update...my GYN says that I am have spasms do to a weak pelvic floor. So physical therapy scheduled to strengthen my pelvic floor. He says..in 6 months I "should" be off all pain meds and back to my old self again
Oh yay! A doctor with a potential solution. That is awesome. I have been thinking that if I ever get my stoma wound properly healed, that physical therapy would be a great idea as I have been in the hospital about the same amount I have been out of it during the last 4 months. I am back to work, but by the end of the day, I feel like that light at the end of the tunnel was a freight train that barrelled over the top of me. I am certain it is from the deconditioning from the series of surgeries this spring. The only time I don't hurt is when I am walking.
DianaL

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Hiya Mom, so good to hear from you! Just think of it as if you are in training, like an Olympian, to get back up to speed.

Hugs from the west coast!
Julz

Walla Walla, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Deb I pray you are to the end of this terrible time of constant pain!!! I am so glad this doctor realized how horrible have been feeling.
Julz

Walla Walla, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Mom good to hear from you, but sad to hear that your journey is still ongoing!! Prayers for you to be healed faster then it has been and to give you your strength back!!
Janae

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

Well after 5 1/2 hours of surgery and 10 day hospital stay, I am FINALLY home. Thanks to God for carrying me thru and for all of your prayers and good wishes. The surgeon removed 34 cm..all of my sigmoid was removed. He said the biopsy showed no cancer but over 100 diverticulars in that one area and most of them were inflamed. I still have a few divers scattered thurout so will still have to watch. I woke up in no pain and feeling rather happy according to family and saying some things that I really don't remember at all. They said the Dr came and sit on my bed and I kept rubbing his arm saying "Do I know you?"...how funny. I woke up the next day with a lot of soreness and very little pain. I had access to a morphine pump but never used it.
Four days out I finally passed gas and started on liquids..did well with that but had trouble with excess gass when on soft diet so they put me back on liquids for a while. I still have a lot of gas that only seems to pass of a morning when I have my bowel movement. So far, I am only having one per day. Now for the healing.....
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

Judged:

Good luck Janae. So glad you came through the surgery happy! Best of health from now on.
Best of luck now Deb, keep up the exercises. They do need to be ongoing.

Since: Jul 12

Laguna Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

Elizabeth wrote:
Good luck Janae. So glad you came through the surgery happy! Best of health from now on.
Best of luck now Deb, keep up the exercises. They do need to be ongoing.
Congratulations on your successful surgery! Now it is all uphill for you.
Betsy

Berlin, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Mom, good to hear from you, I did not realize it was that much in the hospital, that is tough. And it sure must be tough to have to go to work. Work is so tough anyhow these days, even when you're healthy. I read once that if your job is sedentary, it is beneficial to put a little footstool or something under your desk to elevate your feet and legs, somehow that keeps the circulation going and you are not as exhausted at the end of the day. Worked for me. Interesting that walking is when there is no pain and so could it be that there be something about the angle of your legs compared to the abdomen? Best recorvery.----- Wow, Janae, that sounds great, sounds to me like you are in the middle of healing. Congratulations. Great there is so much less pain.
Bonnie

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

So happy everything went well Janae.
Prayers do work.
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Hi Janae - So happy to hear from you! Wow, 10 days in the hospital? What took so long? I have been thinking about you, even posted to you a few days ago. Glad you are back home and doing well.
Janae

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Kimmie- We had a little trouble adjusting my diet and had to keep going back to liquids. I am not having much bowel movements. Like this morning only a little came out but I did pass a lot of gas. The first day I started liquids Ihad like 5 bm's but since then it's been just once a day and not a lot...which I am not eating a lot either. Now I am just paranoid as to whether or not my bowels will move each day. The Dr seemed in no hurry to let me come home. He said the surgery went well but was difficult as I really had a mess. Good thing I had this done. I didn't realize I had so many divers in that one area. Thanks for all the support. How are you doing?
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Janae wrote:
Kimmie- We had a little trouble adjusting my diet and had to keep going back to liquids. I am not having much bowel movements. Like this morning only a little came out but I did pass a lot of gas. The first day I started liquids Ihad like 5 bm's but since then it's been just once a day and not a lot...which I am not eating a lot either. Now I am just paranoid as to whether or not my bowels will move each day. The Dr seemed in no hurry to let me come home. He said the surgery went well but was difficult as I really had a mess. Good thing I had this done. I didn't realize I had so many divers in that one area. Thanks for all the support. How are you doing?
Janae - Just try to be patient...I know it's hard, but it does take time for your bowels to figure things out. I didn't go a lot in the beginning either. I noticed once I started eating more fiber, things started normalizing a bit. But, I did not start concentrating on adding fiber until I was about three weeks post surgery and then I only started out with oatmeal in the mornings and SLOWLY added things like avocado on sandwiches instead of mayo, high fiber yogurt, etc. Also, I found out that I could not take the fiber supplements, they would bind me up every time and then I would have to take Milk of Magnesia to get relief. Everyone is different though and you will find what works for you.

As for me, I am doing great. Wednesday was 7 weeks post op and the biggest thing I am noticing at this point is that I don't have to take a nap everyday!!!! Hopefully that means my body is getting stronger. A few weeks ago, I was having trouble with pencil thin stools but that seems to be resolving as well. Actually, I think I was causing that issue because I was obsessing about having a BM and was trying to force myself to "go" to often. Now, I just wait until I am sure I need to go. Funny how I forgot how to depend on my body to let me know when to go poop! lol
Terri

Madison, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Janae, I've just been waiting to hear from you again. Glad you are out. About the bowel movements, I'm only four weeks out so I'm no expert, but this is what I do to get a morning bm, I drink a pint of cold water, then a glass of apple juice all quickly like chug, chug - then I move around the kitchen, busying myself making coffee for my husband, messing around with the dogs, not sitting down again,(if it didn't work, I'd walk around the house or around our cul-de-sac) then in usually 10 minutes or so, I have to go. I asked the doctor and he said it was fine to do this since everything is natural. Also if I eat ice cream, I will go after that. And I usually only go once a day too. Morning.
At first I drank prune juice instead of apple juice and that worked too, but the prune juice was a little rough on my stomach and I read that we shouldn't drink it at the beginning so I quit.
I am praying for you. I know exactly how you feels about wanting the bms and being afraid they wouldn't come. Like someone else said, you will probably have to experiment, but you will find something that works for you. I used to have like two or three tops a week.
Sounds like you're doing well though. The gas is to be expected. I'm glad you're not having acid reflux.
Take care.
Janae

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

I am actually on nexium (which I was before the surgery) so no problems with reflux. I had a high protein boost shake for lunch today , thought it would help get some vitamins back in me. I've slept most of the day and had to make myself get up and walk some. Guess it just feels so good to be able to sleep without someone coming in my room to wake me.
I've struggled my entire life with constipation and was actually hoping for relief from this since the entire sigmoid was removed..but I know it's early yet and I'm really not eating a lot right now. This forum is like my best friend. I don't even know you guys but I call you my "forum buddies". So comforting to talk to people going thru the same thing. You just don't really know what it's like until you've had it:)
Julz

Walla Walla, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

Rest as much as you can. It helps you recover faster!! I glad your home in your own bed without the constant wake ups and noise!!
KimmieG

Kennesaw, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

Janae - I know what you mean about "forum buddies." When I hadn't heard from you for over a week after your surgery, I told my husband that I was concerned for my "internet friend." I expected him to laugh, but instead he was very sweet and told me that I should give you more time to make a post. Then we discussed this forum and how helpful it has been to me. How cool was that?
Terri

Madison, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

Kimmie, same for me. I kept checking to see when Janae would get back on too. And I thought I was a newbie - you really are too - just 3 weeks ahead of me. I notice everybody does different things with their diet. I thought I was supposed to do all soft, low residue food for six weeks. And I am sick of it too because I have my appetite back now in full force. Tuesday will be five weeks postsurgery. Oh, well....

I've read on some sites that nuts, seeds, broccoli, popcorn, raw mushrooms, and cauliflower are not recommended ever but other sites say that's not so. Plus my gastro said that a new study has disproved that theory - at least the nuts and seeds part. What say you guys?

Janae, I had no interest in food whatsoever at your stage and I was almost entirely on Ensure but I drank like six a day. Plus I had loads and loads of gas and it was difficult to eat. It doesn't take long and you almost forget those days.

And yes, NO nurses waking you up every hour. I was in the hospital 40+ days. Can you imagine how fractured my sleep was? I've just gotten to where I can sleep more than four hours at a stretch. It's such a luxury to sleep in your own bed. Just this week we started letting our dog back in the bed with us and I love the feeling of normalcy. My husband, me, and the dog! Without nurses and ivs, and ng tubes. Heaven!

God bless all of you. It has been so helpful being on this site. I met someone today who is facing this surgery and I told her to call me every day, that I would be glad to walk her through everything. It's so important to have someone to talk to. All I had was yall since I didn't know anyone personally who had been through this.
Anne

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2012

TheRaz Stuart Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
ToDay was last of round 3 will start round #4 on Aug 6th not loooking forward to it this month my mouth got sore the white cell count is high from a shot I take for 7 days and that is what ended today
thanks for the kind words and may God be with all of my friends here on the Forum
Teddy Bear Hugs also !!!!
Larry
My hubby took Emend for his nausea from chemo and diluted Listerine for his sore mouth (the one with no alcohol) with much success. Good luck and God Bless you!
Janae

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2012

This Wed will be 2 weeks from surgery. I am doing well but still passing a lot of gas, not much appetite and Having several bm's/day. This morning I noticed a tinge of pink on toliet tissue when I pp so hope nothing is going on there with bladder. So far everything has been fine. I do think tho that I am more tender and sore feeling today. It feels like my staples are pulling some. I am suppose to get those out this week. I am having to make myself get up off the couch and walk. I could really just lie there all day and sleep or watch TV. Just being really lazy...not like me at all:)Trying to think positive but in all honesty I feel a little down today.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

64 Users are viewing the Diverticulitis Forum right now

Search the Diverticulitis Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) 16 hr Robin 2,080
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) 21 hr Art 23
can a fistula heal itself? 23 hr Will Ct 2
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Tue Betsy 796
Leak after resection surgery (Sep '11) Jul 25 Kathy 21
Diverticulitis Surgery Complications (Oct '11) Jul 25 complication 378
side affects from colon resection. (Jun '11) Jul 24 lynne 61
•••
•••