DianaL

San Francisco, CA

#2288 Jun 1, 2012
Oh Glenda, my heart hurts for you. It is just wrong, wrong, wrong. I so hope that the doctors HEAR you and find out what is wrong so they can FIX you. Hugs sweetie!
Gillian

UK

#2289 Jun 1, 2012
Glenda, I have no problems with the mesh -I've a 'collection' of fluid or something in the abdominal wall which keeps getting infected and guess what..... problems with adhesions -I ended up with an intestinal blockage caused by them !

Small world !
Deb

Columbus, OH

#2290 Jun 1, 2012
glenda wrote:
<quoted text>hi deb..boy if this isnt the same dam thing im going through havent got my test back yet but already the family all has things to say about why would you have surgery again it didnt help the last four times what makes you think its going to do any better this time and then the 6-12 weeks to heal again,my sister inlaw is also a nurse and she gets the whole clan going,they all want us to get better and get back to are self but have no idea how much pain were in and how hard it is to live like this.i dont want another surgey either but i dont want to live day to day with pain meds and doc appt. all the time it has taken over my whole life as you know,they just could never really know what we are going through.in my case i take care of my whole family i have three grown boys 29,28&19 the youngest still home my husband works and i stay home now,past 5yrs since i got sick,which is hard worked all my life.i have always been supermom clean house dinner on the table did all the pta always the mother that had sleep overs and loads of kids at my house,they never needed for anything i was always there.and when i got sick things change for a bit but its so long now that it has gone back to the same way,no matter how bad i feel they still expect me to do everything,they just cant see that its so hard for me some days..im telling you this because i know how it feels to have a family that does not understand how bad this is for us,sometimes i just want to go off and be alone or have someone take care of me for a change.i always wounder why is it me that got this sick and cant get better i did all the right things in life was a good wife and mother never hurt anyone always there for everyone why me,and i also think why cant i make them understand how bad i feel(my family)so all this being said deb i hope that you know that your not alone and i do hope that you get better because i do understand just how hard this life can be going through all this sickness and pain.please take care and god be with you. glenda
Glenda...ditto, I stayed home for the first 14 years with my girls, I was PTO president, room mom, had the birthday parties etc. Now they out of college have jobs and are married and I am stupid!!!
For the past 5 years I have battled the 2 acute attacks of divert, migraines, my husband of 30 years and I divorced got remarried. We gave them both two beautiful weddings. Now it seems that have turned on me.
Georgia

United States

#2291 Jun 1, 2012
Deb,
Hopefully they will come back around. They just have to be happy when all the pain is gone>

Gillian,
Did I see somewhere you posted that a CT scan does not show adhesion's?
Deb

Columbus, OH

#2292 Jun 1, 2012
Georgia wrote:
Deb,
Hopefully they will come back around. They just have to be happy when all the pain is gone>
Gillian,
Did I see somewhere you posted that a CT scan does not show adhesion's?
Adhesions do not show up on CT's or MRI
Georgia

United States

#2293 Jun 1, 2012
Thanks Deb,
Glenda has been trying to get help from CT scans?????
She must need a colonoscopy??? Is that how they found your adhesion's??
Deb

Columbus, OH

#2294 Jun 1, 2012
He is just "assuming" since I have had 4 abdominal surgeries.
Georgia

United States

#2295 Jun 1, 2012
Deb,
there seem to be quite a few who have unexplained pain or who knows they have/had adhesion's. I guess it is really terrific for you, you found someone who would listen to you. I feel bad if someone else is waiting for results from Ct. It's got to be so frustrating.

Since: May 12

Sun City, CA

#2296 Jun 1, 2012
Toni wrote:
Bark,
I'm 24 days out from surgery and my doctor prescribed colace and senna while I was still in the hospital and said I could take it as long as I needed it. I'm still taking it. For the first two weeks I had very few BMs a day (sometimes none) and with great difficulty. Now, I have many at totally unpredictable times. Am eating almost everything, except popcorn which I'll never touch again! I think keeping a log would be very useful. A little nervous about returning to work next week... I hope your recovery goes smoothly.
Best of health to everyone.
Good. I hope you continue to keep healing and feeling better. I would feel a little weird about going back to work. I'm fortunate we're retired.
This whole diverticulitis thing is crazy. There are so many variables. After doing so much research over the years I don't think anybody know all that much of a way to avoid it. But they're sure finding out allot more about it after the fact.
I pray for everyone at whatever point they are in through this thing.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#2297 Jun 1, 2012
bark50 wrote:
I don't think anybody know all that much of a way to avoid it. But they're sure finding out allot more about it after the fact.
A lot of doctors and people are writing books and releasing DVDs and videos on the web informing people about how to avoid illnesses and diseases, including diverticulitis. I've posted lots of links in the Juicing and Raw Foods for Healthy Living and Healthy Colons thread, if you're ever interested, in learning how to avoid future illnesses and diseases.

I just wish I had known 40 to 50 years ago about alkalinity, acidity, inflammation, and why the standard acidic diet is so harmful to our bodies. I have no doubt I could have avoided the hysterectomy surgery, ovarian cyst surgery, back surgery, heart stent implant, pacemaker implant, colon removal surgery, bladder disease (interstitial cystitis), kidney disease (membraneous glomerulonephritis), and chronic bronchitis (due to smoking).

Fortunately, I quit smoking 21 months ago, and in the last five months, I've gotten much healthier, eliminated the bladder inflammation pain, quit taking six heart drugs, and am still in the process of regenerating my kidney filters, so that protein won't be spilled into my urine.

What's sad is that most doctors are not trained in nutrition and foods. They're taught how to do medical things, like stitches, casts, prescribing drugs, etc. That means that we, the people, have to take charge of our lives and educate ourselves on how we can get healthy and treat the causes of our illnesses, instead of relying on doctors to treat our symptoms.

Best of luck to you, bark! I hope you have a quick and successful recovery!
Gillian

UK

#2298 Jun 2, 2012
And I really wish that you would shut up about the whole alkalinity, acidity, inflammation thin Deb, We are all fed up of hearing about it.

And it is very easy to say that you wouldn't have had all your problems if you'd known about it earlier

What;s really sad is how you keep banging on about doctors as if it is their fault that you ate crap for most of your life -anyone with half a brain has known for years that fast foods are bad for your health - you didn't need a doctor to tell you that, surely?
Gillian

UK

#2299 Jun 2, 2012
RE: Adhesions, no they don't usually show up on scans unless they are very thick, but apparently the pulling or twisting of your organs that causes the pain can show up-which is how they diagnosed mine.

My MRI showed that there was a bulge at the top left-hand side of my colon where it was being twisted by an adhesion caused by surgery, I also have some pulling out of shape where the colon has attached itself to my hip bone. This is exactly where I feel a stabbing twisting.burning pain on walking or turning over in bed. There may be more that haven't shown up.

I do think also, that a scan is done to rule out anything else so that if the pain is unexplained and it started after the surgery then a differential diagnosis of adhesions can be made,

I never realised how common they are - you think someone might have mentioned them before surgey!
glenda

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2300 Jun 2, 2012
Deb wrote:
<quoted text>
Glenda...ditto, I stayed home for the first 14 years with my girls, I was PTO president, room mom, had the birthday parties etc. Now they out of college have jobs and are married and I am stupid!!!
For the past 5 years I have battled the 2 acute attacks of divert, migraines, my husband of 30 years and I divorced got remarried. We gave them both two beautiful weddings. Now it seems that have turned on me.
deb im there with you, seems they dont see the sick person anymore just someone who is putting a damper on there life..boy if they only new what it is to have this one. i always tell my husband when he starts complaining hey ill trade you mine for just one day see how fast he gives it back, i do feel your pain i have know idea how i have manage to stay married 26yrs we have been together since i was 20 im 47 know,but anyway all he does is complain about him being tired of me being sick go figure, it is hard on the family after awhile and im always feeling guilty..because there life is turned up side down with this haha.sorry to all you out there that this is getting a little personal but this is something we never talk about ,how it effects are family and home life..so deb i can trully relate sweetie please take care and just do what you think is best thats what im going to do after all it is are life not there's.hang in there
Georgia

United States

#2301 Jun 2, 2012
Gillian,
Thanks for your response, at least there is a chance to see something that is being caused by adhesions if that is the problem.
Elizabeth

Melbourne, Australia

#2302 Jun 2, 2012
Thank God my kids believed me when I said I was in pain.
I thank God for my kids, where would I be without them? I pray for you all having these family problems, sometimes a close friend can be more understanding.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#2303 Jun 3, 2012
OK, I've not been posting for some time now as I have been doing so much better until recently. Two months ago I was out of work for a week and in bed with a mild attack. Then last Sunday , out of nowhere I had a severe attack. I really thought something had ruptured. My husband rushed me to the ER where after the catscan showed diver, was admitted and stayed on IV cipro and flagyl all week. Am home now but feeling week. I am to see Dr Tues, will schedule a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks and then colon resection in July hopefully. This last attack scared me enough to go ahead with the surgery. I have SEVERAL diverticulars on left side. My question is, for those who have had the surgery, How bad is it? Will I have to have an EG tube? Will I have a lot of nausea afterwards...what am I looking at? The Dr hopes to do it lap but may have to open me because of previous hysterectomy scar. He said I may have adhesions that would interfere. I am scared and need all assurance I can get that I am doing the right thing. Thanks.
Georgia

United States

#2304 Jun 3, 2012
Hi Janea,
I remember you!!!
I'm sorry about your recent setback. There are quite a few people that have had the surgery and hopefully will respond. Also lots on the other threads. One of my favorite stories comes from Goosey about her OP. Good luck with everything and here is Goosey's thread;
http://www.topix.com/forum/health/diverticuli...
Gillian

London, UK

#2305 Jun 3, 2012
Janea, Hi, was going to say welcome back- but I'm sorry you've had to come back here,

I was worried sick about the surgery but am so glad that I had it done.

As far as I can make out, a lot of lap surgery patients don't seem to have the gastric tube , but if you have open surgery it is usually needed.

I was scared of having the tube but really there was no need -it was in place when I woke up and stayed for about 4 days. I could hardly tell it was there and when I remember how much acid they drained out of my stomach through it (pints and pints), I am so glad that it was in place or I would have been incredibly sick without it.

When it came to taking it out, I was rather nervous, but it was a work of moments and was still waiting for them to start pulling it out before I realised it was out!

I never suffered from nausea of any kind afterwards. You may feel very sore etc, to start with after the surgery, but you do not feel ill at all. And to be completely truthful, the pain of a severe attack of diverticulitis is much worse than any pain from the operation.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#2306 Jun 3, 2012
Oh, thank you both so much. I can't tell you how much better this makes me feel. Do you still have to watch your diet even after you heal from the surgery or is life back to normal?

Since: May 12

Sun City, CA

#2307 Jun 3, 2012
Janea I just had lap. No tube afterwards. I have lots of adhesions from c-sections, and other surgeries. They caused no problem for the surgery. But that would be different for everyone. I felt better regarding the diver. when I was awake. It was weird. I had the surgical pain but not the gnawing pain on my side. Just tell them if you're nauseas. They'll put something in your IV. Done.
I'm 10 days out from my surgery and still learning about my new digestive process but not drained of energy due to the infected colon.
You'll feel so much better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
.Diverticulitis. Breakthrough book 9 hr shaid123 7
Is this really diverticulitis? 11 hr Jenny 3
Diverticulitis flare after sigmoid colectomy Tue Gutwoman 20
Sigmoid Colectomy for Diverticular Disease Mon Cielo 38
flareup after eating hot sauce yesterday Mon Cielo 10
Alcohol (Sep '14) Mar 29 Rob Stock 10
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Mar 26 richardboyce 2,328
More from around the web