After an attack
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Joy

United States

#101 Apr 28, 2009
Hi Kathy, I have to say that my experience was the more attacks I had over the 7 years before I had surgery the less it would clear up properly. In the end I went for 4 or 5 months without ever completely healing... in the end I had to have the surgery and "cut it out" instead! I would definitely do liquids and eat very lightly to see if it helps. Hope you feel better, Joy
Diana

Manchester, NH

#102 Jun 30, 2009
Can someone please help.....I am 51 yrs old. I had my first attack of diverticulitis about a month ago. I was put on two different antibiotics for 10 days. I finished the meds about 3 weeks ago and my system still hasn't gone back to normal. Is this normal? I go in for a colonoscopy in 3 weeks and I am very nervous
mazyjo

Westminster, CO

#103 Jun 30, 2009
I hear that just because you finish the antibotics doesn't mean that all the inflammation is healed up. My gastro guy told me it would take a while. I am new to this, so I am learning from the posts on this forum day by day!
Brian

Salt Lake City, UT

#104 Apr 23, 2011
I just got out of the hospital.(Diverticulitis) At one point I was in so much pain I had Tears streaming down my face and felt like I was going to pass out. I really dont want to ever go through it again.
Andrea

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#105 Jul 20, 2012
Hi Everyone! I just wanted to share my experience with this condition. I had my first attack about 18 months ago and struggled for a very, long, long time to get diagnosed, until about 2 months ago(I think its mostly because of my age, I just turned 25 this year.)I have seen many different doctors and they all contributed to different conditions like gastritis, gal bladder problems and IBS. I had 2 ultra sounds and an upper endoscopy, but it was the colonoscopy that revealed the diverticula. I spent a lot of time last year and earlier this year getting very sick. At one point I would get sick a few times a week and my sharp pain would subside only after vomiting. My worst attack this year lasted 14 consecutive days where the pains were constant and I could not eat anything without getting nauseous and vomiting. Now that I know what I have, and after doing all my research online, I changed my diet to where I was consuming about 40-50 grams of fiber a day. I am not sure what the recommended amount is for someone with diverticulosis/diverticulitis. I was feeling great until I overindulged in some fatty foods and that set another attack for me which lasted about 3-4 days. Then I felt better and thought I could return to my high fiber diet after a few days and ended up getting a worse attack. This one knocked me out for 6 days, where I was not able to eat/keep any food in. I lost 7 lbs this last week. My stomach is still very sore from the spasm and it still feels very swollen (which I think is the inflammation). Over the past 18 months I have lost about 30-40lbs.
Sandy

Danville, CA

#106 Nov 17, 2013
Was told I have diverticulosis, put on Flagyl and Cipro. They bothered my stomach so much I couldn't finish. All my doc would tell me is to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water a day and eat plenty of leafy green veggies, also stay away from nuts snd seeds.
I am still battling this constant ache on my left side, hasn't gone away. Will it ever???
Trying to have some sort of diet plan, doc is not a whole lot of help. I'm kind of grabbing at different things on the Internet for help. Help or any other suggestions?
Polly

Toronto, Canada

#107 Nov 18, 2013
Sandy wrote:
Was told I have diverticulosis, put on Flagyl and Cipro. They bothered my stomach so much I couldn't finish. All my doc would tell me is to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water a day and eat plenty of leafy green veggies, also stay away from nuts snd seeds.
I am still battling this constant ache on my left side, hasn't gone away. Will it ever???
Trying to have some sort of diet plan, doc is not a whole lot of help. I'm kind of grabbing at different things on the Internet for help. Help or any other suggestions?
Sandy, a lot of people with DD don't find much help from their doctors' regarding diet. Most of us sufferers do well going on a liquid diet for a few days. This lessens the stress on the infected colon and helps it heal. Then introduce a soft diet gradually. I am still on a soft diet after 2 months. The Mayo Clinic has a good diverticulitus diet if you Google it. The pain should subside after a while. Any kind of raw veggies is a no no! They are hard to digest and you must stay away from them until the third stage when you start introducing back fibre into your diet. A good probiotic can help with gas, bloating and cramps. Antibiotics cause many unpleasant side effects and some people can't finish them. Ask your doctor for a different kind and maybe the next ones will be more tolerable. Since you are still having pain there might be some infection left. Hope you are feeling better soon. Keep posting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Right Side Pain (Oct '07) 23 hr Matt 21
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) Sun Mickeyfin 737
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Sun Shellcozyinmarysv... 2,584
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Sun Stefani365 4,671
First time post - Just diagnosed with chronic d... Aug 26 Mickeyfin 10
Surgery Aug 25 Kittypusskins 1
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Aug 24 NJ John 1,467
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Aug 14 Cbay 61
More from around the web