Regrets on having Diverticulitis surg...

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#202 Dec 16, 2012
Hi Cath:

Hope you get a date scheduled with your new surgeon and can get things going! I know of more than one person in a wheelchair with an ostomy bag, so that explanation seems odd to me.

Location hidden

#203 Dec 16, 2012
soundguy:
Good luck with the op! Chris is right, the first week is pretty miserable, but it gets better after that. We will keep an eye out for your posts. Sending you well wishes for a complete recovery.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#204 Dec 16, 2012
Soundguy wrote:
Thanks Chris. Great news, the pain is what I am dreading the most, lol. I have had morphine before and don't recall it giving me any issue but then again it was a single dose after a shoulder scope. This is a slightly bigger affair. Of course I didn't seek a medical opinion until I passed air when I peed one day after feeling sick as a dog. So I am hoping I have a higher threshold of pain than I think I do. Thanks for responding, and I am glad to hear you are doing well. Didn't think about the pillow, great call.
SG I hope all will go well for you and that pain does not become a problem. They have other things for pain beside Morphine. so you should be in good shape. Also hope you do not have any completions with your sugary. God Will be watching out for you and holding your hand also.

Teddy Bear Hugs

Larry
Soundguy

Columbus, OH

#205 Dec 17, 2012
Thanks Rek, well I am all checked in and waiting for them to come and get me. Should all done by 12:00 est.
Chris R

Philadelphia, PA

#206 Dec 17, 2012
Sound guy - hope your doing well.
Chris - hope your feeling better.

As for my the gas comes and goes. Was good for about a week and now back. Also, is ribbon like stool somewhat normal after this surgery? Not totally flat, but more flat than round? I'm not in pain.

Since: Jan 12

Stuart, Florida

#207 Dec 17, 2012
Chris R wrote:
Sound guy - hope your doing well.
Chris - hope your feeling better.
As for my the gas comes and goes. Was good for about a week and now back. Also, is ribbon like stool somewhat normal after this surgery? Not totally flat, but more flat than round? I'm not in pain.
As the saying goes not all of us are alike. but Yes I still have ribbon BM's a lot of the time. can go from normal to runny and in-between I am a year plus post Surgery. and it is looking like I will have to have another operation after the 1st of the year to have my Gallbladder removed. as it is causing me pain thought it might have been the Chemo. I was on but that stopped 2 months ago. and the pain is still there after I eat anything. so Chris R things will get better for you one day at a time just hang in there and time will heal all.

God Bless. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and I am sending Healing Teddy Bear Hugs to you and all of my Forum Friends

Larry
Chris R

Philadelphia, PA

#208 Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for the response Larry. Sending best wishes and a quick recovery to u as well.

Since: Nov 12

Leicester, UK

#209 Dec 18, 2012
I was up until 3.37am in bulk, I was like that until I went the loo. I'm totally shattered!
Even a puff of wind is agony, is this normal?

And a pouch, I'm going to google it, see can I find out what it is?

Even after the bad night I've had, and even tho I'm shattered, I don't care, my spirits are lifted, nothing will take that away from me n now! Nothing!
Life is looking good again!

Cath xx
Soundguy

Columbus, OH

#210 Dec 18, 2012
Again thanks for all of the support guys an gals. I'm about 36 hours post op. finding it hard to concentrate. Been up twice today took a stroll the second time around. Just fell asleep twice while typing this. Pain is managmental. Make that three time, lol. Guess it is nap time.

Location hidden

#211 Dec 18, 2012
Keep napping, soundguy! Glad to hear from you. Hang in there..
jay

Syracuse, NY

#212 Dec 19, 2012
myfathersdaughter wrote:
<quoted text>
George, Diana and Rose, Thank you all for your feedback. I agree, living in fear for another attack is quite unsettling. I definetly will follow your advice. I have always dreaded surgery of any kind, and since I come from a family involved with medicine, I have always been told by them (mother is a nurse, husband is an executive for a large medical company and then of course my brother) that surgery should always be the last option.
I have also read of people who after having a colon resection procedure developed another attack of diverticulitis from a portion of the colon that was not removed.
I wish I could close my eyes and have it disappear but that is not reality and I must deal with the reality. Again, thank you all!
myfathersdaughter, i have to agree with your family members that surgery should always be the last option here, the doctors (surgeons) will tell you you need it because that is what they do for a living, its their livelyhood. And i you have (like me) attacks in other areas, cutting out one portion of the intestine will not keep diverticulitis from attaching another area of it. My advise as it has worked for me the last 3 1/2 years is a high fiber diet, plenty of water & exersize, and most impoetantly dont gorge late at night as the wrong foods mixed together can create bad bacteria in the stomach to flare up an attach in the intestine area.

Leicester, UK

#213 Dec 19, 2012
applecake wrote:
Keep napping, soundguy! Glad to hear from you. Hang in there..
Me again, lol

Ok, he told me I'll have either a 'pouch' that is like a small hole/opening in my tummy. Or a bag, for good. So I googled the pouch, and found loads on you tube!

After I picked myself up off the floor, lol, I had a good look at it, and I see the hole is quite a size. I wasn't expecting that!

Also the bag itself, it's quite some size, that shocked me too. Anyway, the people on there have no issues on showing us how you put a bag on, how to size the connecting piece, the best way to make it less irritable and stick better so lessens the worry of leaks.

I found it amazing. The young girl, cos she looks to be about 17, she was brilliant...Showed us step by step, really cool she was.

So I went to bed, lol, couldn't sleep for ages knowing this is how he said I'll be at best. And I kept thinking about what she had to do, wondering how it will stay in place. But I remember being told about a bag holder, something like that. It keeps it in place.

I told my hubby he needs to see this video, I told him if I was shocked, he will be too. He said he doesn't need to see it. I disagreed with that. Then I said to him.

'Do you know what colour the bowel is?'

He said;

'Red.'

lol well I'm not sure if it is, but on the vid they all look red. And to be honest, it was that which shocked me!!

Would there by any chance, be a chance that he can operate, resection, and no bag? Can they do that? Or, if they operate, remove the bad part, which according to him is a lot, resection it, and have a temp bag?

I'll all new to me. And seeing that vid has made me nervous!! lol It hasn't put me off, not at all, I was looking at it, what she had to do etc, and it seems to take a long time. I'm not too worried, cos she was sitting down so I know that won't be a problem for me!

In fact, my surgeon told me that just because I'm in a wheelchair, it doesn't make it a problem surgery wise!!! Anyway, I let him see me walk, rofl!!!!!! I walked from my chair to his examination table bed thing. I even showed him my 2 heights!! I told him when the hospitals, or anyone, asks my height, I ask them what leg they want me on!!

He looked at me like I'd lost the plot!!!

You see, I'm kind of bent over to the right, so, stood on my right leg I'm about a good 4/5 inches smaller than standing on my left leg. So I showed him and burst out laughing, even he thought is was funny...lol

I should have dyed my hair bright green shouldn't I, and told him I'm Quasimodo's decedent! lol

Anyway, just a little update!!

Ooooh, I forgot till the early hours when I was wide awake, he told me that when I go and see the anesthetist that's also my pre-operation apmt too!!

So, the meeting he is having with his team, the anestherist will be there and if he says no problem, that's when I'll get the apmt to see him! And why it's also my pre-op apmt in one!!!

I can't remember how to spell anestherist?

It doesn't matter, you know what I mean!!

So, it's looking good for January!!!

It's great news isn't it!!!

Cath

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#214 Dec 19, 2012
Cath,

I'm excited that you'll be seeing an anesthesiologist at your pre-op appt! This is wonderful news!

Location hidden

#215 Dec 19, 2012
Cath,

Basically you're at a point where you don't have much of a choice about the bag. You're in too much pain and too ill without it. It's really impossible to get your head around it before you actually have one. And when you do, it will be difficult at first, but over time, you will make friends with it and come to accept the fact that it saved your life -- as so many people with ostomy bags do...
I'm very glad that you're finally in the hands of a reasonable, experienced surgeon.

xo
chris-Perth WestAust

Perth, Australia

#216 Dec 20, 2012
Hey AC is it normal to have extreme pain where I'm assuming my resection was done? Only been this painful for the last 12 hours, maybe it's that everything else isnt as painful so now it's feeling worse.

I dunno just getting a bit scared to be honest!

Location hidden

#217 Dec 20, 2012
Chris:

I had some extreme pain when I was constipated, but otherwise I really haven't. You should call the doctor's office for sure and explain your symptoms to them. How are you now?

Leicester, UK

#218 Dec 20, 2012
Deb from Mich wrote:
Cath,
I'm excited that you'll be seeing an anesthesiologist at your pre-op appt! This is wonderful news!
Hi Deb,

Yep, it's the best news ever!!! And in as much agony as I am in now, and living on the loo for the past 2 days, I don't care, I won't let it get to me, cos I KNOW that anesthetist won't say no to surgery. I hope not anyway, cos that's the only reason the surgery won't go ahead, if he thinks it's too dangerous to put me out.

On saying that, if and when, cos I think it will eventually burst and there's more risk then, and there won't be a choice either...

I will continue to pray that it will go ahead.

Cath

Leicester, UK

#219 Dec 20, 2012
applecake wrote:
Cath,
Basically you're at a point where you don't have much of a choice about the bag. You're in too much pain and too ill without it. It's really impossible to get your head around it before you actually have one. And when you do, it will be difficult at first, but over time, you will make friends with it and come to accept the fact that it saved your life -- as so many people with ostomy bags do...
I'm very glad that you're finally in the hands of a reasonable, experienced surgeon.
xo
Hi Carey,

Yep, fantastic news for me, and all being well, the surgery will go ahead...it hangs on one man as to whether or not he'll put me out!! Let's hope its not a problem. Though the surgeon doesn't think there will be.

Even so, he told me its in a bad way, and his words were also.

'You have severe diverticulitis, and it is very severe, and it's quite far up...'

Words to that effect. So in saying that, I don't think it should be put off. I also think, on the 8th when he meets with his team, he will mail me with an apmt for the pre-op...

I'd actually forgotten he'd said that. lol

But, my guts tell me that its going ahead. And if this anesthetist is scared to go ahead, my nest apmt will be to see him and tell him WHY it will go ahead!

One way or another, it will be sorted out. And I can't wait.

I know where you're coming from about accepting the bag. I know it's not a walk in the park, but I have accepted it, and though I know it will be a shock when I first see it after the surgery, I will just tell myself its called; 'tough!' and I will get my head round it. To be honest, I think I'm almost there with it. Cos this is my only cure. And if that bag brings my cure, or at the very least, a lot less pain and poos so I get my life back, then it will be a doddle.

So, I will keep looking at stomas and bags on you tube until I feel ok about it by the time I have the op!

I haven't slept for 3 nights...well, the last 2, hardly any at all. It's on my mind all the time. Its constant, but I think that's because its a constant problem, and there's only one way to fix that. And no matter what, I'm going through with it. And I accept I have to have it.

Its just on my mind, lol, a lot. I've had many operations, 20 all told, including 2 brain tumours, and in all of them, I have never been scared, but this terrifies me. I don't know why that is? But it does.

I'll have to get my hear round that too, lol, or I'll be a mess!

Thanks for the support you two!!

Cath xx

Matawan, NJ

#220 Dec 22, 2012
chris-Perth WestAust wrote:
[Hey AC is it normal to have extreme pain where I'm assuming my resection was done? Only been this painful for the last 12 hours, maybe it's that everything else isnt as painful so now it's feeling worse.
I dunno just getting a bit scared to be honest!]
Chris, I agree with Applecake to call your Dr if you haven't already because when I saw my surgeon to go over everything about the surgery he told me to watch out for severe pain at the connection site. It's been a few days since your post so just wondering if you called and is everything ok? Hope all is well.

Matawan, NJ

#221 Dec 22, 2012
Hi Applecake,

Just wanted to see how you were doing. How is your recovery going? How is the pain, bowel movements,etc ? Hope you are healing quickly.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do i get a grip and stop worrying? (Apr '16) 11 hr mark5111 12
sigmoid resection surgery fears 17 hr Cynthia 6
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Thu Deb 1,511
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Thu Legalbrat71 4,708
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Jan 15 Robbin 81
Diverticulitis and Reasonable Accomodation Jan 13 schultek 2
Julie Jan 11 Cynthia 2
More from around the web