Alternative Medicine
Getting More Serious

Morristown, NJ

#1 Sep 10, 2012
My latest bout with this debilitating disease leaves me exasperated and again looking for answers. In desperation I began to search for alternative options. A google search pulls up a ton of hits. Does anyone have any experience or reliable information for or against that would help?
Mary

Lubbock, TX

#2 Sep 12, 2012
Hi there,

I have tried a lot of things and also read a lot of publications in the medical and nutritional journals over the past few months. As a general rule, in the alternative medicine category, the following herbs, etc are considered safe and possibly healing to the intestines (and bladder by the way): slippery elm, marshmallow root, and DGL (licorice). Probiotics (strong ones) and kefir are great; yogurt does not have enough active bacteria to make much of a difference. Cranberry is also considered safe and sometimes antibacterial.

Less clear are: grapefruit seed extract, which contains an impurity additive which might be responsible for reducing symptoms; aloe vera which seems to help some folks and make other worse; flax seed (which has been wonderful for me, but hurts some people); and oil of oregano which is an antibacterial but can kill good bacteria as well. Digestive enzymes are also a mixed bag and can sometimes cause more stomach irritation.

I would definitely advise against enemas of any kind. Lots of people here advocate raw foods and juicing - I think that's great IF you well and are sure that your foods are free of contaminants and pesticides; otherwise when juicing the pesticide residues get concentrated, and uncooked food increases the risk of food poisoning.

In my case, I have not been able to use psyllium fiber supplements or fiber one bars at all - they increase my pain, gas, and bloating. I have had better luck with foods with a high water content like lettuce, celery, and citrus fruits, which have been terrible for others. For me, soluble fiber like oat bran feels like it forms a lump in my stomach and sits for days. I'm better off with lean meats and fruits and vegetables.

Once I healed, tennis and running have been great for reducing stress and keeping my digestive system working. I also use Miralax, a tiny dose every day. I now it's not really natural, but keeping my bowels moving has done more good for me than anything else.

I have recently eliminated all gluten and most dairy and am amazed at how much that has helped. It turns out that many people acquired celiac disease or lactose intolerance following an intestinal infection.
Getting More Serious

Morristown, NJ

#3 Sep 13, 2012
Thank you Mary. Do you know anything about Homeopathy as it relates to Diverticulitis? I have had success with Homeopathy before for other issues

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Mon Carole 4,769
sigmoid resection surgery fears (Jan '17) Sun BuckarooBanzai 42
Colonoscopy diverticulosis Sun Barb 7
Bentonite Clay for Diverticulitis Sun Surf49 9
floating stools (Sep '16) Jan 20 Wendy 4
Diarrhea 6 months post colon resection (Sep '08) Jan 19 MamaNard 233
Diverticulitis or bladder? (Oct '08) Jan 16 Jena 24
More from around the web