Mayo Clinic Diverticulitis Diet durin...

Mayo Clinic Diverticulitis Diet during and after an attack

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Georgia

United States

#1 Apr 24, 2012
A diverticulitis diet gives your digestive tract a chance to rest while your doctor treats your diverticulitis.
By limiting yourself to clear liquids and slowly adding low-fiber foods to your diet, your digestive tract has time to heal.
Diverticulitis diet during an attack
During an attack of diverticulitis, your doctor may recommend diverticulitis treatments.
Your doctor may also recommend that you stick to a clear liquid diet for two or three days.

Foods and beverages allowed on a clear liquid diet include: Broth, Clear soda, Fruit juices without pulp, Ice chips, Ice pops without bits of fruit or fruit pulp, Plain gelatin, Plain water, Tea or coffee without cream.
Diverticulitis diet once signs and symptoms begin to resolve
As you start feeling better, your doctor will recommend that you slowly introduce low-fiber foods.
Low-fiber foods include: Canned fruits, Desserts without seeds or nuts, Eggs, Enriched white bread, Fruit juice with little or no pulp, Low-fiber cereals, Milk, Yogurt or cheese without seeds or nuts, Smooth peanut butter, Tender meat, poultry and fish,White rice or plain pasta, noodles or macaroni, Well-cooked vegetables without seeds or skins.
You may need this low fiber diet for 2-4 weeks or more before slowly starting back on the fiber foods.
Also it is extremely important to eat tiny meals—about the size of half a sandwich.

To much food can also cause a good amount of pain.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mom

Kansas City, MO

#3 Apr 28, 2012
Just moving this back up......
Georgia

United States

#4 May 21, 2012
bump back up
Carolyn

Tampa, FL

#6 Jun 10, 2012
What drinks can we have with this diet? Can we have carbonated water? Soda?
Georgia

United States

#7 Jun 10, 2012
Hi Carolyn,
The important thing is this diet is showing you low fiber foods. I would think carbonated water and soda would be fine. Since it says canned peaches and not fresh, I would stick with the cooked (processed) juices.
I think you would learn so much, as I did, if you would go back and read most of the Diverticulitis attack recovery time thread. It would probably answer most of your questions. There is a wealth of knowledge there.
sheila K

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Jun 25, 2012
This is my 3rd attack first time one yr went by and i was fine suddenly i got another one. I thought the first one was the worst as my primary thought i had a virus (How smart was) no longer use him. This attack my third is very strange started over a month ago. Had a very hard stool then saw red blood which they thought was a hemmoriod but after that my movements were very full of mucus and think i may have seen blood not very red then for the next three weeks again i saw that my stool wasnt right. Constipation almost every day Imust tell u i went 2 yrs and 8 months without any problem. Probiotics helped me alot. But i had been allergic to pork,lambchops and many fruits so started eating all of them. I was tested and knew i was now no longer allergic to them so maybe because i started eating all these foods maybe my system cldnt handle it. Its horrific pain and honestly i feel the doctors dont know much now they say eat whatever you want seeds nuts etc. How they really help us if this is all guesswork. So I think i will have to watch what i eat anyway. If any of you guys out there have any info regarding this.Pls email to this site
Gillian

UK

#10 Jun 26, 2012
Carolyn, just be sparing with the fizzy drinks for a while as they can give you excess gas = very painful when your colon is still tender.
Steve Henderson

Scottsdale, AZ

#11 Feb 18, 2013
Most doctors recommend a high-fiber diet to protect against many digestive disorders, including diverticulitis.
Too little fiber, not enough water, a sedentary lifestyle and overeating can lead to digestive difficulties.
I was able to reverse my diverticulitis after 11 years of suffering through some simple diet and lifestyle changes. This website really helped me out:
http://www.diverticulitisnomore.com

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
bre

Arlington, TX

#12 Mar 14, 2013
Just got out of ER found out have diverticulitis. Pain was horrific. Been having problems and was told ulcer acting up. When this started initial tought really ulcer acting up again. Than horrific pain cant hardly move cause of pain. I handle pain very well. Up till today lol. Ihave been trying gain weight n keep losing. Always hungry. Than vomiting at one point blood. This not right something wrong with me. Doctor thinkulcer not that kind pain. I was so thankful to the awesome staff at hospital i was at. Doctor asked three questions and said sounds like u may have diverticulitis. First we going give you something for pain than we need run test. What i am amazed never did the word ulcer come up. Did test and determined that's what it was. In as much pain this is i am relieved to know that i am not crazy in saying not ulcer. Won't b going back to my current quack lol. The problem is will i have to eat like this the rest of my life? Thank you Kingwood er staff for dx but for your jokes quick response and for taking great care of me. I have high blood pressure also how will this diet effect that
MOE

Charlotte, NC

#13 Apr 22, 2013
know a sedentary lifestyle adds to the problem, how about when in pain, should I take a walk and ignore the pain if possible?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
ana maria

Saint Cloud, MN

#14 Apr 24, 2013
I've been eating very healthy for the last 4 months , lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, exercising everyday, lots of fiber.... and today I was diagnosed with diverticulitis (severe abdominal pain on the left side, chills, low fever)..... what the heck! isn't that what you should be doing to avoid having the disease?? I have never had this before...:(
Im allergic to Cipro so they put me on Augmenting .

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
dawn

Chermside, Australia

#15 Apr 24, 2013
First attack,although I have had irritable bowell for many years,at loss as to to what not to eat now and in the future.told to eat with antibiotic will the antibiotics I am taking fix the problem.
dawn

Chermside, Australia

#16 Apr 24, 2013
I have had the first diverticulou attack,many bowell problems for years. I thought this was some awful bug,after 5days,saw my dr. who diagonised,but didn't give me much information. I need dietry help.
Susie

Brooklyn, NY

#17 May 12, 2013
Georgia wrote:
Hi Carolyn,
The important thing is this diet is showing you low fiber foods. I would think carbonated water and soda would be fine. Since it says canned peaches and not fresh, I would stick with the cooked (processed) juices.
I think you would learn so much, as I did, if you would go back and read most of the Diverticulitis attack recovery time thread. It would probably answer most of your questions. There is a wealth of knowledge there.
Hi. where do i find the Diverticulitis attack recovery time thread
that you mention in your post. thanks very much. Susie?
nicurn

New York, NY

#18 May 26, 2013
Carolyn wrote:
What drinks can we have with this diet? Can we have carbonated water? Soda?
Just remember clear liquids 2-3 days to give the gut a rest.
avoid carbonated drinks and juice with pulp. Jello, broth, water, drinks (non carb), stay away from alcohol and coffee, tea....no dairy products.
Brian

Hedgesville, WV

#19 May 26, 2013
Been on clear liquids pretty much since i was diagnosed on the 15th of may, spent 5 days in the hospital on nothing more than an iv, chicken broth, jello, juice and water. Got out, drank a milkshake, ate some pudding, then had a small amount of cream of chicken soup. This seemed to be either too much dairy or too much in general because i had another severe attack that night. Back to clear liquids again since then, except i did add in some Boost so i didnt die from lack of nutrition. It has been one week today since the last attack and i was able to eat the inside of a baked potato without to much repricussion. Its horrible being afraid to eat for fear of the pain. I am hoping to try a scrambled egg and a peice of toast tomorrow. The Mayo diet is where i'm staying for a while. I also foud out i cant handle applesauce, i dont know if its to acidic or what, but it doesnt set well...
Sirius

Springfield, NJ

#20 May 28, 2013
I'm just out of hospital,6 days. I'm following the recovery bland lie fiber diet. What about bowel movements at this point? In hospital I would eat and go about 2 hours later. Ideas?
Bryan

Dallas, TX

#21 May 29, 2013
After the attack it is best to get a low F-ratio diet and at least 10g of soluble fiber per day. Fratio()com talks about the best diet for after an attack. I had four attacks before changing my diet. Now I haven't had another attack for over six months. I am just glad to not have the fear of getting sick again.
NJ John

Plainsboro, NJ

#22 May 29, 2013
Bryan wrote:
After the attack it is best to get a low F-ratio diet and at least 10g of soluble fiber per day. Fratio()com talks about the best diet for after an attack. I had four attacks before changing my diet. Now I haven't had another attack for over six months. I am just glad to not have the fear of getting sick again.
Stop spamming and promoting your commercial website, dude. No class.
Bryan

Dallas, TX

#23 May 29, 2013
NJ John wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop spamming and promoting your commercial website, dude. No class.
That is not what I'm trying to do. Diet makes all the difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Emergency surgery: My diverticulitis experience (Jun '13) 8 hr Sara Bazan 15
Long lasting pain in Diverticulitis area 19 hr dazeja 1
News Diverticulitis Surgery Complications (Oct '11) Wed Jnk8392 380
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Tue applecake 1,447
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Mon 2 days in 57
Diet After Bout of Diverticulitis (Feb '15) Mon Judy 6
Recurrent diverticulitis after bowel resection (Sep '13) Jun 26 Karsar 22
More from around the web