hip problems due to diverticulitis??

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
randi

Fort Worth, TX

#1 Feb 8, 2011
i have numerous diverticula in the ascending and descending colon and have had several attacks.

but here's the rub. i often have hip problems which make it feel like my hip is out of place. i can almost feel the muscle pulling in and out of joint, like it's going to pop in and out. i walk all bent over until it goes into place.

can this be related to the diverticulitis? my back has been out constantly since i started having these dd problems??
gillian

Whitley Bay, UK

#2 Feb 9, 2011
Don't think that DD can have anything to do with your joint problems BUT that isn't to say that the way you are walking because of pain in the abdomen can't have a knock on effect in your hips and back.

If your posture is not correct because of abdominal pain it can cause back problems, but dd does not in itself do anything to your joints or bones.
bonnie

Uniontown, PA

#3 Feb 11, 2011
someone said you can get joint pain with this ..is this true?
bonnie

Uniontown, PA

#4 Feb 11, 2011
i am so confuse..dr put me on benefiber ...then i gt constipated.....what should i do....?
gillian

Whitley Bay, UK

#5 Feb 12, 2011
Bonnie, if you are having a very bad attack and the diverticula are very badly infected, then the infection can get into your bloodstream and cause you to have aches and pains much like any other bad infection. However, once the infection is cleared it will go away. DD does not cause problems with your joints, it is a disease of the colon and doesn't spread to anywhere else in your body.
bonnie

Uniontown, PA

#6 Feb 13, 2011
thank you ..for the info.....
senjay

Hoboken, NJ

#7 Feb 28, 2011
randi wrote:
i have numerous diverticula in the ascending and descending colon and have had several attacks.
but here's the rub. i often have hip problems which make it feel like my hip is out of place. i can almost feel the muscle pulling in and out of joint, like it's going to pop in and out. i walk all bent over until it goes into place.
can this be related to the diverticulitis? my back has been out constantly since i started having these dd problems??
Yes, I believe diverticulosis can aggrevate a nerve in the lower back which can cause hip pain. Not really sciatica but similar.

Since: Jan 11

Nampa, ID

#8 Mar 1, 2011
that was one of my symptoms when I went to the Dr about all this. My hip hurt alot on the right side, sometimes I could not even bear weight on that right leg.
I had alot of abscess's, infection, blockage. the blockage and surgery were on the left side. The had not been able to do a colonoscopy due to the blockage. Removed 14 inches.
I do seem to feel much better on the right hip area though I wonder , if I have more problems on the right inside the colon. no insurance so don't spose I will get another colonoscopy lol
But yes, among all my other symptoms the right hip joint hurt alot and sometimes clear down my leg. Xray before surgery revealed the hip joint was just fine.
Lauri

Holden, MA

#10 Oct 25, 2011
Not sure if gillian has had diverticulitis or not, but I am 41 and am unfortunately very familiar with it. When my attacks start, I get a low grade temp and a slight back ache. As the infection grows, my back hurts more and it spreads to my hips. The pain is "inside" my hip (the only way I can explain), and it can be excruciating. I'd call your PC - maybe see a Gastro and they may do a scan with contrast to see what's going on if you're in that much pain.(provided of course that you have other symptoms of diverticulitis.). Good luck.
Gillian

Exeter, UK

#11 Oct 26, 2011
Laurie, I was replying to a question about whether diver can cause joint problems like disclocations (joints popping out of place)- not whether it can cause pain in that area.

Pain in the hip area can be caused by diver in a number of ways -

1.abscesses can form in the colon in the hip area and cause pain.

2.Inflammation can affect nerves in the area and be felt as pain in the hips -also in the legs and back.

3.Muscles in the area often go into spasm during a bad attack (your stomach can go really hard with it) and it can be felt as pain around the hip area.

4.Infection can get into the bloodstream and make you ache all over, just like an attack of flu -this can affect the hip and back muscles.

5. Very rarely infection can spread to the area around the hip joints -but you would be very ill before this happened.

6. People can suffer what is known as 'referred pain'- that is when nerves in one area of the body are affected and transmit the pain to another part.
This can also cause pain in the area of the hips, legs and back.

7.If your posture is not correct because of bending over with abdominal pain when walking about,it can cause back problems.

What diver does not cause is joint problems such as you get with arthritis, rheumatism etc... which cause damage to the joints.

I have had diver for years, by the way, and have had a resection but still have it in the remaining colon.
zeddman

Waltham, MA

#12 Oct 27, 2011
Just to add to your list Gillian, the antibiotics they put us on can cause issues. I forget which one, but either cipro of flagyl makes tendons brittle. Read one report where they see a significant increase in people rupturing Achilles tendons after using the stuff.

I damaged my MCL after being filled with the stuff after my diver surgery.....did it throwing a baseball!!!

I hate those drugs with a red hot passion.....that is what got me to surgery!
Gillian

Gillingham, UK

#13 Oct 27, 2011
I'm so glad I live in England and got Augmentin for Diver flares.

Cipro is not used very often over here as it produces so many side effects, especially to joints and tendons'

And Flagyl (metronidazole) is banned for use in animal feed because of its high cancer producing properties!!!
eileen t

Bronxville, NY

#14 Oct 28, 2011
going for diver surgery. how is recovery? how much pain? son's wedding on dec 27th having surgery on nov 21. can someone please let me know. very nervous about this. thanks
Gillian

Gillingham, UK

#15 Oct 29, 2011
Eileen, if you are having the lap surgery here is a link to another thread on here which gives a very good description of what to expect:

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/diverticuli...
Tracy -TTM

Galmaarden, Belgium

#16 Oct 29, 2011
Hi Eileen,

I had the operation 3 weeks ago and I am recovering well. The comments I read offered by Gillian are very similar to what I am experiencing at the moment. I hope to be back on track in the next 2-3 weeks and reading through this forum which has been of great help and comfort is very re assuring. I wish you well with the surgery and a good recovery and a wonderful wedding. Keep us updated.

Take care Tracy
eileen t

Bronxville, NY

#17 Oct 29, 2011
thank you all for your advice and well wishes i will keep you posted tracy....and yes i am having lap surgery opted to before it becomes major surgery....thanks gillian i will look into that link.....much appreciated....et
jeffrey vergara

Garden City, NY

#19 Nov 18, 2011
Your hip problem may be aggravated by your DD. However, the popping in and popping out of your hip may be due to another disease. I suggest that you see your doctor and inquire for the cause and treatment needed. Hope you feel better soon. http://www.hiprecalllaw.com/symptoms/
Archie

San Jose, CA

#20 Dec 8, 2011
Study shows that diverticulitis can aggregate a nerve in the lower back which can cause hip pain. Pain in the hip joint can indicate various hip conditions. http://www.depuypinnaclelawsuit.com/recall

Since: Dec 11

Owensboro, KY

#21 Dec 30, 2011
I have been plagued with Diverticulitis attacks for over 20 years. I have had two descending colon resections and I still have flare ups.

In April of this year I went to the ER because I could hardly walk. My left hip felt like it was popping out of joint. Also, the pain radiated into my abdomen and felt just like past Diverticulitis attacks. I had just finished two rounds of Cipro and Flagyl.

Blood tests at the hospital showed NO active infection in my body. The ER doc literally jumped up and down screaming that based on his 30 years of ER work "there was no way Diverticulitis was causing my pain". I think he's full of crap!! He sent me to an Ortho doc who couldn't find anything wrong with my hip.

The pain continues today. However, I can walk. I still cannot raise my weight with my left leg when going up stairs.

I hope there are some docs reading this.
Moe

North East, PA

#22 Jan 15, 2012
ucancallmefrank wrote:
I have been plagued with Diverticulitis attacks for over 20 years. I have had two descending colon resections and I still have flare ups.
In April of this year I went to the ER because I could hardly walk. My left hip felt like it was popping out of joint. Also, the pain radiated into my abdomen and felt just like past Diverticulitis attacks. I had just finished two rounds of Cipro and Flagyl.
Blood tests at the hospital showed NO active infection in my body. The ER doc literally jumped up and down screaming that based on his 30 years of ER work "there was no way Diverticulitis was causing my pain". I think he's full of crap!! He sent me to an Ortho doc who couldn't find anything wrong with my hip.
The pain continues today. However, I can walk. I still cannot raise my weight with my left leg when going up stairs.
I hope there are some docs reading this.
I just had my first diverticulitis attack. The ER doc put me on cipro and augmentin. Within 3 doses of the cipro, i had such terrible leg pains i could not sleep. I am a pharmacist and knew immediatley it must be the cipro. I stopped and they said to continue with just the augmentin. That was a couple days ago. The leg pain is improving. I did a little research on how to relieve the pain. I have soaked my feet in epsom salts (a good way to absorb magnesium in a usable form in your body) and just taken tylenol. Some people reported that anti-inflamatory drugs like ibuprofen or aleve make it worse. Pain improves daily. Love this site, it has been very helpful for me! Hope you pain is relieved soon!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) 3 hr Chris C 4,768
sigmoid resection surgery fears (Jan '17) 21 hr BuckarooBanzai 40
Diverticulitis or bladder? (Oct '08) Tue Jena 24
Colonoscopy diverticulosis Jan 14 George 6
Bentonite Clay for Diverticulitis Jan 14 Cynthia 8
Pain Jan 14 Cynthia 3
severe nausea and vomiting after bowel resection (Oct '14) Jan 14 Bnnynbrone 14
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Jan 5 Dr bob 2,764
More from around the web