4 days post Lap Colon Resection with Bladder Fistula

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Jul 09

Winnipeg, Canada

#1 Jul 7, 2009
I am a 37 year old male. I am still in the hospital recovering from surgery July 3. I had diverticulitis. Over the years one of the diverticuli had stuck to my bladder, and created a fistula (connection) between sigmoid colon and bladder. I was getting recurrent UTI for the last 6 months due to this condition.

Needless to say I was very nervous about surgery, but it was no longer an elective surgery with the presence of the fistula. I did a lot of looking on this site prior to surgery but never posted. I was lucky enough to have my procedure done laproscopic and have been recovering very well so far. In fact I would say things have gone better than my personal "best case scenario" was.

I felt the need to make a post here, if anyone would like any information or advice on this procedure and my experience with it so far. I know information is sometimes hard to find, and it is reassuring to know you are not the only one suffering this condition.

Thanks
Jerry
Joy

Fremont, CA

#2 Jul 7, 2009
Hi Gerry, Thanks for the post, I am sure that there will be many who could benefit from your insight. Take Care, Joy
Tomatillo

Bethlehem, PA

#3 Aug 3, 2009
What are symptoms of a bladder fistula?
Vikki

Rochester, NY

#4 Aug 7, 2009
I am up for lap surgery this coming Weds. Needless to say i am a wreck. Surgeon went over the surgery with me but I have read that a lot folks were planning on Lap but ended up with open and a colostomy. So far as we know I am having straight forward surgery no fistula etc. but one never knows until it is over. NOT looking forward to this. the prep for this surgery is not making me happy either. I am having a hard time finding posts that describe what the after effects are i.e. is there pain when using the toilet
Joy

Fremont, CA

#5 Aug 7, 2009
Vikki wrote:
I am up for lap surgery this coming Weds. Needless to say i am a wreck. Surgeon went over the surgery with me but I have read that a lot folks were planning on Lap but ended up with open and a colostomy. So far as we know I am having straight forward surgery no fistula etc. but one never knows until it is over. NOT looking forward to this. the prep for this surgery is not making me happy either. I am having a hard time finding posts that describe what the after effects are i.e. is there pain when using the toilet
Hi Vicki, I had lap surgery last December with no complications. It is pretty painful for the first week or two but you will be given something for the pain. When I was in the hospital I had a morphine pump that I could control and then Percocet when I cam home. You will have a LOT of gas when your colon starts working again and it can be painful so try to walk as soon and as much as possible because it helps. I can tell you that it was the best decision I could have made because now I have my life back :-) Diver can be very painful too! You will need some help when you first get home and it took me over a month to be able to go back to work although I was able to work from home after a week or so (computer and phone stuff). I was also worried about all the things that can go wrong but all went well for me and I feel great now :-) Let us know how it goes after you are home from the surgery? All the Best, Joy
SUSAN

London, Canada

#6 Aug 8, 2009
ATCGuy wrote:
I am a 37 year old male. I am still in the hospital recovering from surgery July 3. I had diverticulitis. Over the years one of the diverticuli had stuck to my bladder, and created a fistula (connection) between sigmoid colon and bladder. I was getting recurrent UTI for the last 6 months due to this condition.
Needless to say I was very nervous about surgery, but it was no longer an elective surgery with the presence of the fistula. I did a lot of looking on this site prior to surgery but never posted. I was lucky enough to have my procedure done laproscopic and have been recovering very well so far. In fact I would say things have gone better than my personal "best case scenario" was.
I felt the need to make a post here, if anyone would like any information or advice on this procedure and my experience with it so far. I know information is sometimes hard to find, and it is reassuring to know you are not the only one suffering this condition.
Thanks
Jerry
Hi Jerry--I was in hospital July3rd-8th--with my 1st diverticulitis attack. Antibiotics for 15 days following hospital stay.I have had 2 attacks while home. I see the surgeon on Aug 11th. The surgeon told me in the hospital that i MAY need a colostomy after surgery--if we have to go that route. I am deathly scared of this--but then i feel i just can't live with this much longer. Do you feel better after surgery? I just hope i get some answers...AFRAID OF FOOD!
Peter

Brooklyn, CT

#7 Aug 8, 2009
SUSAN wrote:
<quoted text> Hi Jerry--I was in hospital July3rd-8th--with my 1st diverticulitis attack. Antibiotics for 15 days following hospital stay.I have had 2 attacks while home. I see the surgeon on Aug 11th. The surgeon told me in the hospital that i MAY need a colostomy after surgery--if we have to go that route. I am deathly scared of this--but then i feel i just can't live with this much longer. Do you feel better after surgery? I just hope i get some answers...AFRAID OF FOOD!
Hi Susan,

I had my surgery on March 2nd of this year, and I feel wonderful! I too had the potential nightmare of having to have a colostomy, however as my surgeon told me people generally have to be very infected and in intense pain (a serious attack) to merit a bag. I went in still mildly infected and after the surgery he told me I was "low grade" infection and swelling= NO BAG! For me anyway, not everybody could have the same outcome. But I wouldn't be too afraid of it if it turns out to be necessary; lots of people live forever with them, yours would only be temporary.

Surgery was an excellent option for me, I have my life back!

Peter
Vikki

Rochester, NY

#8 Aug 10, 2009
Dear Joy,
Thank you for anwering my post. I am at the countdown now. I have come to grips with the surgery. I guess everyone is different but I still am worried about what my bathroom issues will be post op. I have a job where I do not have mobility to leave my desk any time I need to and I am worried that this will be a problem. How long did you have the gas issue. Was it resolved before you returned to work? Thanks for the info. I know that I have made the right decision on having the surgery. I have not had a real vacation in years as all my personal, sick and vacation time have been used up being sick the divertic. problems. Maybe this is over I will be able to have a real vacation! Thanks again Vikki
Joy

Fremont, CA

#9 Aug 10, 2009
Vikki wrote:
Dear Joy,
Thank you for anwering my post. I am at the countdown now. I have come to grips with the surgery. I guess everyone is different but I still am worried about what my bathroom issues will be post op. I have a job where I do not have mobility to leave my desk any time I need to and I am worried that this will be a problem. How long did you have the gas issue. Was it resolved before you returned to work? Thanks for the info. I know that I have made the right decision on having the surgery. I have not had a real vacation in years as all my personal, sick and vacation time have been used up being sick the divertic. problems. Maybe this is over I will be able to have a real vacation! Thanks again Vikki
Hi Vicki, For me it was about 2 months before I got my bms under control but I have corresponded with other who did not have that problem so I think it is an individual thing! I cannot tell you how glad I am that I went ahead with the surgery and got my life back! Take Care, Joy

Since: Jul 09

Canada

#10 Aug 10, 2009
SUSAN wrote:
<quoted text> Hi Jerry--I was in hospital July3rd-8th--with my 1st diverticulitis attack. Antibiotics for 15 days following hospital stay.I have had 2 attacks while home. I see the surgeon on Aug 11th. The surgeon told me in the hospital that i MAY need a colostomy after surgery--if we have to go that route. I am deathly scared of this--but then i feel i just can't live with this much longer. Do you feel better after surgery? I just hope i get some answers...AFRAID OF FOOD!
Hi Susan,

Good luck with your surgeon appointment tommorrow. You ask if I feel any better after the surgery, and for me the answer is a definate yes. Like others have said, I have my life back.

I hate to hear stories of those with complications. For me it was event free. I had mild to moderate pain for the first 3 weeks, then virtually no pain. This Friday will be 6 weeks and I would say I am near 100% My plumbing works so well for me now, it makes me wonder what I was doing for the last 15 years.
Vikki

Macedon, NY

#11 Aug 18, 2009
Hi Joy, I am home from hosp in record time! Surgery went well, but I had problems with pain control. Percoset constipated me -no one told me that could happen. So I went without any pain meds for the whole weekend. I was afraid to take anything until I called the Dr. Things are better today. Figuring out what to eat is a huge game but I will master it. My sigmoid was a disaster and definately needed to go.
These posts helped me more than anything. The upside is I will have no more infections at least on that side and I have already lost 5 lbs of the 12 I needed to shed. Joy thanks for all your input!
Vikki

Macedon, NY

#12 Aug 18, 2009
Summer,
You need medical attention right away. Any time a fever is present it means the infection has gotten hold. By waiting can cause an abcess which could mean emegency surgery. Don't let insurance get in the way. Get treated. Get better.
Jules

United States

#13 Jul 12, 2010
My mom is having a LAP procedure on her colon tomorrow. She currently has a colostmy bag. What does this surgery entail?
Anonymous

Irvine, CA

#14 Jul 12, 2010
Jules wrote:
My mom is having a LAP procedure on her colon tomorrow. She currently has a colostmy bag. What does this surgery entail?
Hi Jules, I just had my colostomy reversal on June 18, 2010 and they did it lap as the first time November 5, 2009 (emergency colostomy) was a large in in incision from above belly button to pubic bone. The surgeon made to small new incisions on my right side and revised the first incision to make it thinner (my choice). My surgeon ended up cutting a bit more of my sigmond out to be sure I don't have another problem. I must admit the first few days were hard in the hospital. The gas pain is really the worst. Even now 3 weeks later the gas pain hurts but it's just a matter of farting and pains gone. The revised incision, stoma in incision and two new lap incisions are healing just fine. The hospital will not release your mom until she passes gas and does a bm. Please if you like, you can email me directly at frannyfitzhugh@yahoo.com with any questions.:)
Joanie

AOL

#15 Sep 24, 2010
I have had diverticular disease for a few yrs now. I had a hysterectomy in 07 and they found a diverticular abscess. It was removed but I had to have percutaneous drainage also 2 mos post op hysterectomy. I also developed a bladder-colon fistula. I lost my medical insurance when I got laid off from my job in early 08. I have not had a divertic. attack in a while, thank goodness, but am now scheduled to go see the colorectal surgeon next week to set up for surg. for colon resection and bladder fist. repair. I saw him in 08 just before my ins. ran out and he told me then I needed the surg. I cannot wait any longer as the symptoms have become more than I can bear. He told me it could not be done laparoscopically and would have to be open incision. I know this involves a longer and harder recovery. I read on some of these forums of people with both the fistula and colon resection having them done lap. He said I couldn't because of the fistula. I am just wondering why not? Not sure if he has lap. experience. Anyone had this combo of surg. lap or did you have to have open? I know lap would be faster recovery and much less pain. I am anxious enough about the surgery at all, much less having to have the open surgery. Comments please.
Anonymous

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#16 Oct 25, 2010
ATCGuy wrote:
Thanks
Jerry
Hi Jerry - thats exactly what I had - did your surgery cure your diverticulitis or just cure the fistula? Im about 4 weeks since surgery - my favourite event was removal of catheter!! Jeez to get that out was something! The urinary infections pretty much wrecked me for several months - couldnt think straight and all the anti biotics just made me worse, though cured the infections for a few days at a time.
Ive was able to eat and drink the day after surgery (though I didnt really get an appetite for about 10 days), and was walking the next day etc. I dont think I had any problems or complications - no bags etc. but just wondered how long it took you to be "normal" and able to work and so forth. Im still very up and down, and some days feels like I wont ever improve. Of course I know this is mind trickery so just wondered.

Thanks for your posts!

Mr.Will
Signs

Chicago, IL

#17 May 2, 2012
I have complicated diverticulitis and keep putting the surgery off. I noticed bubbles on the tip of my mens parts after urinating today, could this be a sign that a fistula has developed? I am single and have nobody to look after me after surgery which is what is keeping me from doing this.
Rose

Exeter, NH

#18 May 2, 2012
Hi Jerry, I had lap sigmoid colectomy about 10 days ago and recovery hasn't been what I would call "difficult". I had an unknown active infection AND an abscess, found when they got in there, and I did fine with no colostomy needed. I had my operation Monday and I had my first tiny BM on Thursday night. No pain at all. Things are not quite back to normal in that department, but not painful or frequent, just not really formed yet (but not watery). Sorry for the gross descriptions. I've lost 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks, just not as hungry as I was, but still eating normally, just less. My colon was all adhesed to my ovary and pelvic wall which explains a lot of the pain I used to have when sitting down, getting up, or twisting. The pain isn't bad at all in the hospital. They left me with my pain pump until the 4th night, before I was discharged. I am very easily tired after doing next to nothing, which is unlike me, but I was warned and I know that too will pass. I don't regret this one bit. I didn't want to wait until I had a fistula or a rupture. That right there was enough to get me into the hospital for the surgery. Hope you have a speedy recovery!
Jon

United States

#19 May 2, 2012
Hi Rose
Were you inflammed when you went in ? Was it performed here in the States? How did you choose the surgeon?
Do you need help once you got home or is it pretty simple to recover alone ?
Jon
Rose

Exeter, NH

#20 May 2, 2012
I was inflamed and had an abscess but we didnt know that going in. I've had 4 attacks in the few months before surgery and had finished a two week course of cipro and flagyl only 3 days before surgery. Obviously they were not curing me, only just enough to make the pain stop. I chose my surgeon because he had performed gastric bypass and a gallbladder removal on my husband and has vast experience with the laparoscope doing all kinds of abdominal surgery. As for recovery, i think if you make advance plans and preparation for after, you could manage alone. I am anything but alone, a husband, 2 teenagers, an adult daughter just moved back home, a dog, and several cats, and sometimes all that commotion can be less than conducive to rest. Fortunately my house is big enough that we are not on top of each other. The other factor is how soon you are sent home. I stayed 5 days and only felt REALLY cruddy at home for 3 or 4 days. My husband pilled me up out of the recliner and bed a few times and brought me some food or drink here zand there but I really didnt need a lot of service. I could have managed if i had to. Yes, i am in the states. Seems like they keep you longer in other countries but i really didnt ned to be hospitalized after the 5 days.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) 14 min sherie 4,545
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) 1 hr Deb 1,044
flareup after eating hot sauce yesterday 2 hr Elizabeth 2
Diverticulitis flare after sigmoid colectomy 3 hr Robin 9
Diet After Bout of Diverticulitis Thu Elizabeth 2
Surgery or Not? (Mar '14) Thu Helenmac 33
Diverticulitis-Lifting heavy boxes does it caus... Thu Jenny 2
More from around the web