Mild pain from diverticulosis but not...

Mild pain from diverticulosis but not a diverticulitis attack

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 11

Spring Grove, PA

#1 Apr 9, 2012
Does anyone experience mild pain/discomfort from certain foods they eat? I've had mild pain in my lower left area on and off now for about two years, actually since my only bout of diverticulitis that was diagnosed with ct scan and bloodwork two years ago. I've been keeping a food diary and noticed that the pain is more when I eat something I shouldn't eat. Example, a few blueberries (and I mean literally a few), or a small amount of chunky peanut butter, green peppers, etc. It's not even a pain that I need to take medicine for, just more of a discomfort. It is usually worse when I first wake up and sometimes it pretty much goes away after a bm. I can also feel it in my back and hip sometimes. I was thinking for a while that it might be my psoas muscle but am starting to notice a correlation with what I eat. Thanks for any advice!
Georgia

United States

#2 Apr 9, 2012
Hi Nailgirl,
You probably will be getting some responses from different people and they all will be different. No one is the same some people swear it is one type of food and some people swear it is another type of food. Myself, when I retired from my very stressful job, I noticed a year later my attacks that I had been getting like clockwork every 4 months had stopped, so naturally I think it is stress. As far as food, I eat everything, but that is just me. One thing though when we were discussing this once, we all came up with the fact we believe it could take up to a week from the time you eat something till the time it actually becomes inflamed enough for you to notice. Think about it and it does make sense. Good luck, I hope you get some answers you are looking for.
Rose

North Hampton, NH

#3 Apr 9, 2012
I have not noticed any food reactions which in some ways is more of a curse because then you don't know what the heck to avoid. After 4 attacks in as many months, I think anything and everything gives me diverticulitis. I've heard that a lot of people DO notice which foods bother them. I would keep a diary and then you can avoid the ones that cause you discomfort.
Gillian

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#4 Apr 9, 2012
Hi Nailgirl,I felt like that for a couple of years before my attacks started to become very painful and I had a proper infection.

I always wonder, in retrospect, whether I was actually having mild attacks or there was some kind of low-level infection going on that I wasn't really aware of.

I only say this because by the time I felt bad enough to go to the doctor (well actually ER) the tests showed that I had already got a lot of damage and thickening to the colon. I was told that the damage was caused by diverticulitis infections but wasn't aware that I had ever had one,

It may be a good idea to see your doctor and ask his advice -maybe have a colonoscopy to check that everything is alright.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#6 Apr 9, 2012
Nailgirl,

In my case, eliminating milk, Pepsi, and junk foods has made a lot of difference. Doing that for the last three months has helped to eliminate all inflammation pain in my body, and I actually feel healthier than I've felt in many years.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#7 Apr 9, 2012
Hiya Nailgirl, just a warning, the list and link supplied by Deb in Mich is medically unfounded. The whole "Foods that cause inflammation" theory is just that, medically it has no basis in fact.

Hey for me personally it was Indian food. I LOVE Indian food but within 8 hours of eating it and for several days after I would suffer with slight pain in the lower left abdomen and diarrhea. Now post-surgery I can enjoy it again.

Good health to you!

Since: Sep 11

Spring Grove, PA

#8 Apr 9, 2012
Thanks for the responses! Gillian, I had a follow up colonoscopy about a year and a half ago for polyps and didn't mention it to the doctor because I didn't think of it at the time. I would think he would have seen if I had diverticulitis. So if you do get a reaction from certain foods, would it also hurt in your low back and left hip? I'm trying to figure out if it's related to my diverticulosis or perhaps my psoas muscle. I would think if it would be anything serious it wouldn't come and go like it does and I would have other symptoms after having this for two years now. I'm a worrier lol!

Location hidden

#9 Apr 9, 2012
nailgirl,

Please be aware that DianaL is ignorant when it comes to nutrition. Medically, it is a fact that certain foods can cause inflammation. I have real-life experiences with eliminating inflammation by changing the foods I eat.

You can find medical sources all over the web about this. Don't let one person (or five people) tell you any differently.

I can't respond to your psoas muscle, but I can tell you that inflammation can cause swelling that can press on a nearby nerve, causing pain. You should ask your doctor about your problem.

Good luck!

Location hidden

#10 Apr 9, 2012
Deb in Mich, to your statement: "Medically, it is a fact that certain foods can cause inflammation" I ask you to prove it by citing a legitimate, medically verified study.

And if you can't prove it, do not use terms like fact for it is fiction.

Location hidden

#11 Apr 9, 2012
DianaL - Try searching Google for whatever information you're looking for. Google is amazing and will help you to educate yourself about many subjects. I simply do not have time nor the desire to help you educate yourself.
Georgia

United States

#12 Apr 9, 2012
sorry nailgirl for all this-- This is a Diverticulitis forum and it is for people that have questions about Diverticulitis. We are a group that really care about the people who need help.....Then we have Deb from Mich who is all by herself, has no support, and we have all asked her to leave, but she posts and posts and posts and cares only about herself and her raw foods and juices, which if you are in the middle of a bad Diverticulitis attack will make you sicker.

Location hidden

#13 Apr 9, 2012
And there we have it folks, Deb in Mich is using the word Fact when the word she is looking for is Fiction. Please keep that in mind when reading her copious posts.

No proof, no credibility just Kool Aid.
Mary

Lubbock, TX

#14 Apr 9, 2012
A study published in the journal of clinical nutrition, feb 2008, states that a diet high in betaine and choline is shown to reduce inflammatory markers In the body. Foods high in choline include egg yolks, organ meats, cheeses. So eating eggs, cheese, and yogurt after an attack may make a lot of sense. Spinach and pineapple are high in betaine. The USDA publishes list of foods high in specific nutrients. The published data in scientific journals contradicts some of the pseudoscience about foods and inflammation on popular websites. Dr Weils site is pretty well grounded in the published literature. Now, all that aside, while it makes intuitive sense that diverticulitis sufferers would want to reduce inflammation, I am not aware of any clear evidence that inflammation causes diverticulitis based on any published studies. (although I took balsalazide after my second attack an I believe it helped me turn the corner finally)

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#15 Apr 18, 2012
Mary wrote:
A study published in the journal of clinical nutrition, feb 2008, states that a diet high in betaine and choline is shown to reduce inflammatory markers In the body. Foods high in choline include egg yolks, organ meats, cheeses. So eating eggs, cheese, and yogurt after an attack may make a lot of sense. Spinach and pineapple are high in betaine. The USDA publishes list of foods high in specific nutrients. The published data in scientific journals contradicts some of the pseudoscience about foods and inflammation on popular websites. Dr Weils site is pretty well grounded in the published literature. Now, all that aside, while it makes intuitive sense that diverticulitis sufferers would want to reduce inflammation, I am not aware of any clear evidence that inflammation causes diverticulitis based on any published studies.(although I took balsalazide after my second attack an I believe it helped me turn the corner finally)
Hi Mary,

Thanks for this information. I have had problems with inflammation for years... not only plantar fasciitis and arthritis, but places on my clavical and sternum that swelled up and left the doctors shrugging their shoulders when it came to an explanation. Surely many diseases and conditions possibly are the result of multiple factors at play that cause a "perfect storm" to erupt in our bodies...combinations of certain heredity, environmental, and nutritional factors. The study you just cited is a good example of why everyone should keep an open mind. I know that it is too late to reverse what has happened to my colon; but then I don't want it to get any worse, and I certainly want to know WHY so that future generations can avoid this horrible disease! Until a definitive answer is proven, please everyone, be KIND to one another.

Sharon

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#16 Apr 18, 2012
There are many reports from well respected institutions on this subject that can be found on the internet. I took just a couple of minutes to post these as an example. While food and inflammation is a very debatable topic, until we know for sure, it is important to keep an open mind. Wouldn't it be horrible to pooh, pooh, something only to find out later that it WAS beneficial? Fortunately we all have the privilege of free choice!

Please DO NOT misunderstand me, I am NOT saying that one should play around with their diet when they are having an active diverticulitis attack. Please just use common sense!

References
"Johns Hopkins News-Letter": Plant antioxidants also fight inflammation

"FASEB Journal": Broccoli inhibits colon inflammation and carcinogenesis

"Journal of the American College of Nutrition": Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Inflammation and Autoimmune Disease

http://ncp.sagepub.com/content/25/6/634.short Diet and Inflammation Leo Galland, MD
Foundation for Integrated Medicine, New York, New York: "A traditional Mediterranean dietary pattern, which typically has a high ratio of monounsaturated (MUFA) to saturated (SFA) fats and ω-3 to ω-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFAs) and supplies an abundance of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and grains, has shown anti-inflammatory effects when compared with typical North American and Northern European dietary patterns in most observational and interventional studies and may become the diet of choice for diminishing chronic inflammation in clinical practice.

Arthritis Today: Inflammation and Foods That Fight It "Journal of Nutrition": Regular Consumption of Dark Chocolate Is Associated with Low Serum Concentrations of C-Reactive Protein in a Healthy Italian Population, Giuseppe R et al, October 2008

"U.S. News & World Report": Building a Diet That Lowers Inflammation

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/324006-heal...

Location hidden

#17 Apr 18, 2012
Sharon,

Your messages sound like you might be receptive to learning more about eliminating the acid and mucus-forming foods from your diet that tend to cause inflammation in various parts of the body. I've been studying this subject almost constantly since October and have learned a ton of information by watching the documentary, Fat Sick & Nearly Dead, and then I watched many other food documentaries, and then I've been watching Dan McDonald's videos at YouTube since the middle of February.

I completely changed my diet on January 5th and today is day 105 of consuming mainly fruit and vegetable juices, salads, almonds, and grapefruit. I created a separate thread that you might be interested in, with much more infomration about this.

I now am wondering if I should have waited to have colon resection surgery, because the rest of the inflammation in my body is gone after eliminating those foods that cause inflammation. I'll never know if I could have healed my colon by changing my diet, so all I can say is I've had lots more natural energy and no pain anywhere since making this change.

It's true that I can't STFU about this subject, but I'll stop here and post the link to that thread.

Juicing and Raw Food Ideas for Healthy Living and Healthy Colons
http://www.topix.com/forum/health/diverticuli...

Warning: People who are currently having diverticulitis attacks should not eat or drink raw food or juices.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#18 Apr 18, 2012
Deb from Mich wrote:
Sharon,
Your messages sound like you might be receptive to learning more about eliminating the acid and mucus-forming foods from your diet that tend to cause inflammation in various parts of the body. I've been studying this subject almost constantly since October and have learned a ton of information by watching the documentary, Fat Sick & Nearly Dead, and then I watched many other food documentaries, and then I've been watching Dan McDonald's videos at YouTube since the middle of February.
I completely changed my diet on January 5th and today is day 105 of consuming mainly fruit and vegetable juices, salads, almonds, and grapefruit. I created a separate thread that you might be interested in, with much more infomration about this.
I now am wondering if I should have waited to have colon resection surgery, because the rest of the inflammation in my body is gone after eliminating those foods that cause inflammation. I'll never know if I could have healed my colon by changing my diet, so all I can say is I've had lots more natural energy and no pain anywhere since making this change.
It's true that I can't STFU about this subject, but I'll stop here and post the link to that thread.
Juicing and Raw Food Ideas for Healthy Living and Healthy Colons
http://www.topix.com/forum/health/diverticuli...
Warning: People who are currently having diverticulitis attacks should not eat or drink raw food or juices.
Hi Deb,
Yes, I am open to exploring almost anything that has shown promise through legitimate studies. I think it is FABULOUS that you have put your unhealthy eating habits behind you! Thank you for your thread on juicing! It works for YOU, and it is kind of you to keep spreading the word so that others that choose to do so, can see if it works for them. I DO understand that this is NOT recommended for people that have active diverticulitis.

I have little doubt that you did the right thing with your surgery. Once your colon is worn out and diseased, there is surely no way to repair it!

I saw my gastor dr yesterday and he said my Sigmoid Colon is VERY narrow the reason I am always constipated. He said he could barely complete the colonoscopy on me a few months ago because of it. I am going to try and stay on top of my constipation and give my S. colon a helping hand (so to speak!). But if it comes to it, I will have the operation. It would be wonderful to have normal bowel movements again one day, and to be able to eat what I want to again without concern!

You take care Deb!

Sharon

Location hidden

#19 Apr 18, 2012
SharonPH wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Deb,
Yes, I am open to exploring almost anything that has shown promise through legitimate studies. I think it is FABULOUS that you have put your unhealthy eating habits behind you! Thank you for your thread on juicing! It works for YOU, and it is kind of you to keep spreading the word so that others that choose to do so, can see if it works for them. I DO understand that this is NOT recommended for people that have active diverticulitis.
I have little doubt that you did the right thing with your surgery. Once your colon is worn out and diseased, there is surely no way to repair it!
I saw my gastor dr yesterday and he said my Sigmoid Colon is VERY narrow the reason I am always constipated. He said he could barely complete the colonoscopy on me a few months ago because of it. I am going to try and stay on top of my constipation and give my S. colon a helping hand (so to speak!). But if it comes to it, I will have the operation. It would be wonderful to have normal bowel movements again one day, and to be able to eat what I want to again without concern!
You take care Deb!
Sharon
Sharon,

Thanks for your comments! I don't regret having surgery, and I agree with you that I probably could not have healed my colon by just changing my diet. It was too far gone by that time. But if I had known about this ten years ago when my problems started (problems that gradually got worse during the last ten years), I think I could have avoided having to have surgery. I went with the two surgeons' recommendations to have the colon removal surgery, and I'm sure it was the right decision. And I also believe I made the right decision two months later, when my remaining colon had healed enough, to finally get healthy, really healthy.

I think you'll make the right decision! You've probably had colon problems for several years, because a colon doesn't become diseased and narrowed in a short time. I wish you the absolute best and hope you'll be back to normal soon.

Location hidden

#20 Apr 18, 2012
And I forgot this, because it's really important for anyone who is currently having any symptoms of a diverticulitis attack:

Cathy

Millinocket, ME

#21 Feb 25, 2013
Deb from Mich wrote:
And I forgot this, because it's really important for anyone who is currently having any symptoms of a diverticulitis attack:
I am new to this. Can someone tell me what I can eat when I am having issues? I really need is just a list of what can I eat. I had my first attack of diverticulitis in the fall and was so sick, I couldn't eat real food for weeks. I was almost back to normal by Christmas, I was still avoiding anything raw, though.

The nurse practitioner I see told me I could eat anything, I was all good, make sure to take metamucil every day and go slow... so I started adding things I liked back, like raw spinich and lettuces and tomatoes, and that was great and then I added back fruits and juices, and was making a lot of smoothies in my blender. I swear, no one told me not to do that. About a week ago I started with diahrrea and that awful burning sort of ache that comes and goes. This afternoon I was having back spasms, which might have been my chair, but I bet it isn't.

Now I am back to what I call my white food diet, toast, macaroni and cheese, scrambled eggs, plain crackers, green tea for the past week.

Please help. I feel so frustrated and sick. I don't dare to eat anything except saltine crackers and water tonight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Tue Dooleymac 2,743
Might my diverticulitis have been the cause of ... (Mar '12) Sep 17 bountiful 16
Bladder/Urine Issue post Surgery for Colon Rese... (Jul '15) Sep 16 K rodrig 9
Colonoscopy showed NO diverticuli (Aug '11) Sep 14 JENT 10
colon and bladder problem (Nov '10) Sep 13 Roxie0513 39
Right side pain (Oct '16) Sep 10 BuckarooBanzai 8
Colonscopy Prep Questions (Jul '10) Sep 7 Jenny 117
More from around the web