What Causes Diverticulitis?
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mike from NS

Pictou, Canada

#41 Sep 9, 2012
Its been a while since I've posted here. Its been a year since the recovery of my last attack. At first I was very careful of what I ate and kept a food diary. I slowly started adding foods and monitored the results. Never had any problems. No diarrhea, no constipation. I eat a moderate amount of fibre, because too much does not agree with me.

The only constant is the fact I take regular probiotic supplements in capsule form. One every two days since things are well.

My last bout was pretty nasty, and despite multiple rounds of antibiotics it really never went away. I only fully recovered after I started taking probiotics. That helped me form a theory.

My theory is that the bacteria the cause diverticulosis will flourish in the absence of healthy gut bacteria. If your "good" bacteria is more prevalent than your "bad" bacteria, the good will win. If something in your life is upsetting the balance of healthy gut flora, then you have a greater risk of diverticulitis. Lots of things can upset the balance. Illness, disease, stress, diet... the list goes on.

I have no way to prove or confirm this theory, but I may be able to now... at least on a personal level.

I got an ear infection about two weeks ago and was prescribed antibiotics. Of course the gut upset started right after I started taking them. Diarrhea, cramps... all that fun stuff. Two days ago the lower left side pain started. Great.

I am sure the bloody antibiotics for the ear infection upset the balance of gut flora and here is the result. My first attack in a year. I have been taking probiotics while on the antibiotics but I think they've been killing them faster than I can replace them.

Now that my course of antibiotics is over I have been doubling up on the probiotics in the hopes they will kill off the bad bacteria before it requires me to go on antibiotics again.

Here's to hoping.
Mary

Lubbock, TX

#42 Sep 9, 2012
Mike you don't say what kind of probiotics you take, but VSL3 is about 10x as strong as most of the others. It can be ordered from an easy google search for VSL3 and is shipped overnight in an insulated, chilled container.

Since: Jul 12

Laguna Hills, CA

#43 Sep 10, 2012
Mike from NS wrote:
Its been a while since I've posted here. Its been a year since the recovery of my last attack. At first I was very careful of what I ate and kept a food diary. I slowly started adding foods and monitored the results. Never had any problems. No diarrhea, no constipation. I eat a moderate amount of fibre, because too much does not agree with me.
The only constant is the fact I take regular probiotic supplements in capsule form. One every two days since things are well.
My last bout was pretty nasty, and despite multiple rounds of antibiotics it really never went away. I only fully recovered after I started taking probiotics. That helped me form a theory.
My theory is that the bacteria the cause diverticulosis will flourish in the absence of healthy gut bacteria. If your "good" bacteria is more prevalent than your "bad" bacteria, the good will win. If something in your life is upsetting the balance of healthy gut flora, then you have a greater risk of diverticulitis. Lots of things can upset the balance. Illness, disease, stress, diet... the list goes on.
I have no way to prove or confirm this theory, but I may be able to now... at least on a personal level.
I got an ear infection about two weeks ago and was prescribed antibiotics. Of course the gut upset started right after I started taking them. Diarrhea, cramps... all that fun stuff. Two days ago the lower left side pain started. Great.
I am sure the bloody antibiotics for the ear infection upset the balance of gut flora and here is the result. My first attack in a year. I have been taking probiotics while on the antibiotics but I think they've been killing them faster than I can replace them.
Now that my course of antibiotics is over I have been doubling up on the probiotics in the hopes they will kill off the bad bacteria before it requires me to go on antibiotics again.
Here's to hoping.
Mike, I tend to agree with your theory. It makes sense. I have been on antibiotics for the last 3 months, give or take a week or two. I am gearing up for my surgery at the end of this month. I have been fortunate not to have the common side effects from the antibiotics like diahreah and cramps.

I do take probiotics, VSL3 when I am not on antibiotics and Florastor when I am on them. They have been a Godsend. They are both expensive but worth every penny. I purchase Florastor at my local drugstore over the counter and my VSL-3 from my nutrionist. You might consider seeing a really good nutrionist or dietician, one that is more prone to holistic diets. Mine does not believe a high fiber diet is the answer to prevent diverticulitis. Of course ultimately we must make the choices that we feel is best . I try and gather as much information from several sources. This way my decisions are based not only on gut feelings (no pun intended) but on data.

Here's to hoping too!
Mike from NS

Pictou, Canada

#44 Sep 10, 2012
I take Critical Care Ultimate Flora which is 50 billion of 10 different strains. Seems to be working very well for me.

Florastor is really good stuff but not available locally for me so must be ordered from the Internet. I think I will order some just to be safe. Its good to have around.

I just looked up that VSL3 and it looks like good stuff. I might have to give it a try as well.

Kefir is an all natural type of probiotic that you can actually culture at home. Look it up and see what is said about it.

Today is day 4 since the pain began and 3 days since I finished my last dose of antibiotics. I've been doubling up on the capsules, plus eating Kefir. Today there has been a noticeable reduction in pain.

Don't want to jinx myself but I think it might be working. I've been hitting it with whatever I can, hoping that I can kill it before it takes hold.

Laguna Hills, CA

#45 Sep 10, 2012
Mike from NS wrote:
I take Critical Care Ultimate Flora which is 50 billion of 10 different strains. Seems to be working very well for me.
Florastor is really good stuff but not available locally for me so must be ordered from the Internet. I think I will order some just to be safe. Its good to have around.
I just looked up that VSL3 and it looks like good stuff. I might have to give it a try as well.
Kefir is an all natural type of probiotic that you can actually culture at home. Look it up and see what is said about it.
Today is day 4 since the pain began and 3 days since I finished my last dose of antibiotics. I've been doubling up on the capsules, plus eating Kefir. Today there has been a noticeable reduction in pain.
Don't want to jinx myself but I think it might be working. I've been hitting it with whatever I can, hoping that I can kill it before it takes hold.
Goat kefir, I am told is especially good because goat milk is most like human milk.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#46 Sep 10, 2012
In my case, the key to avoiding constipation is to keep my colon hydrated, so I drink lots of vegetable juices (juiced myself from kale, spinach, cucumber, celery, ginger, green apples, lemon, and lime) and lots of water each day, plus eating a green apple some days with ground flaxseeds and chia seeds sprinkled on top helps with softening the stools and providing the needed fiber.

When I was sick last year with diverticulitis, before the colon resection surgery, I would peel the green apple. That worked great to hydrate the colon and to help avoid getting constipated and caused no additional pain in the colon.

I only took probiotics some of the time last year, especially when taking the antibiotics, and for a few weeks after the surgery. I've been so healthy now, since changing my diet in January, that I have no need for probiotics.
Mike from NS

Pictou, Canada

#47 Sep 12, 2012
So here it is, another 3 days past.

It seems I may have beat this round. Lower left side pain is gone. All systems seems to have returned to normal.

If anything this reinforces my theory in my mind. It also makes me aware that I have to stay vigilant. It seems once we have this disease, it is always lurking somewhere inside us, always waiting for that moment when our intestinal system is out of balance.

Laguna Hills, CA

#48 Sep 13, 2012
Mike from NS wrote:
So here it is, another 3 days past.
It seems I may have beat this round. Lower left side pain is gone. All systems seems to have returned to normal.
If anything this reinforces my theory in my mind. It also makes me aware that I have to stay vigilant. It seems once we have this disease, it is always lurking somewhere inside us, always waiting for that moment when our intestinal system is out of balance.
So happy that you were able to beat the infection this time. Stay healthy!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#49 Sep 14, 2012
MikefromNS:

Florastor is saccaromyces boulardii with a different brand name. I would try looking for saccaromyces bourlardii in a health food store locally and you'll probably find it for cheaper than Florastor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) 8 hr jodi1973 4,755
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) 19 hr Pilar 758
How long does it take to feel better?? (Jul '10) Thu Dialuv26 44
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Sep 19 Dooleymac 2,743
Might my diverticulitis have been the cause of ... (Mar '12) Sep 17 bountiful 16
Bladder/Urine Issue post Surgery for Colon Rese... (Jul '15) Sep 16 K rodrig 9
Colonoscopy showed NO diverticuli (Aug '11) Sep 14 JENT 10
More from around the web