alternative 'cures'
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#23 Jul 4, 2012
Ha!!! Good one! You're so funny, Natalie!
Gee Bollard

Phoenix, AZ

#24 Jul 11, 2012
Your reckless statement that "juicing can make a sick person well" is fine if you are posting on a forum for alternative health issues - IT IS NOT APPROPRIATE ON A FORUM FOR PEOPLE WITH SERIOUS MEDICAL ISSUES. Move on to a site that is better suited to your personal beliefs. I will report every post I read of yours if it contains similar, reckless stupid statements.
Deb from Mich wrote:
If someone is sick, juicing and raw foods can make them well. If someone is well, juicing and raw foods can make them stay well. If someone wants to look better, feel better, and lose weight, they should try juicing and raw foods.
It's not extreme.
It's not unscientific.
It's not potentially dangerous.
It's much safer than eating animal meats, dairy, sugars, cooked and processed foods.
I haven't acted like this is new at all. Don't know what gave you that idea (you assume way too much).
I would suggest that you watch one of Dr. Ruth Heidrich's presentations. You could actually learn a whole bunch about this subject and possibly get healthier and gain a positive attitude in the process.
In the Raw: Practical Advice on the Raw Foods Diet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dFf6aflQhnwXX
Gee Bollard

Phoenix, AZ

#25 Jul 11, 2012
You are truly stupid. There is nothing wrong with raw foods. Juice though is just another liquid - and what does that do for you? Most juice has sugar (to much) and very little value. Do you really believe you can exist off of raw food and liquids? I am willing to bet the only websites you visit are sites hosted by fruitcakes or jerks out to make money off dumb folks like yourself. Consider this post reported too.
Deb from Mich wrote:
Eliminating the low-nutrient, low-fiber, and disease-causing foods (meats, dairy, sugars, fats, breads, cooked foods, processed foods, packaged foods, etc) and replacing those foods with raw foods and fresh juices is what actually helps the body to heal.

Location hidden

#26 Jul 11, 2012
"You are truly stupid."

Thank you! I prefer being stupid and healthy, as compared to being smart and sick and unhealthy.

"There is nothing wrong with raw foods."

True

Juice though is just another liquid - and what does that do for you?"

Drinking fresh vegetable, green leafy plant, herb, and fruit juice (80% vegetables/green leafy plants/herbs and 20% fruits) will provide your body with lots of nutrients that you wouldn't get if you ate those foods (because most people wouldn't be able to eat that much food, if left whole and not juiced). Doing this (and drinking enough water) also helps to flush out the toxins quicker

"Most juice has sugar (to much) and very little value."

To much? To much what? I know of someone who almost always types "to" when it should be "too." Hmmm... Looks like there might be a proxy installed in one's browser to change the location.

Anyway, the sugar in fruits is not nearly as bad as real sugar that's added to many of the foods in the Standard Acidic Diet. Sugars from fruit are fine, and it's important to NOT drink fruit juices all day long. A fruit juice in the morning is recommended by those who have researched this subject for many years.

"Do you really believe you can exist off of raw food and liquids?"

Yes, I've been doing that 90 to 95% of the time since January 5, 2012, and I've been feeling great! The only time I don't feel as well is for two or three days after I eat any of the foods from the Standard Acidic Diet.

"I am willing to bet the only websites you visit are sites hosted by fruitcakes or jerks out to make money off dumb folks like yourself."

You lost that bet. I usually avoid any websites that are selling a product. I also hang up on the many spammers that call me every day.

"Consider this post reported too."

Great! I've seen Topix Admin ban people who constantly send them abuse reports, when those reports are unwarranted.

Location hidden

#27 Jul 11, 2012
Gee Bollard wrote:
Your reckless statement that "juicing can make a sick person well" is fine if you are posting on a forum for alternative health issues - IT IS NOT APPROPRIATE ON A FORUM FOR PEOPLE WITH SERIOUS MEDICAL ISSUES. Move on to a site that is better suited to your personal beliefs. I will report every post I read of yours if it contains similar, reckless stupid statements.
<quoted text>
I believe Dr. Ruth Heidrich made that reckless statement. I quoted it from the video that was linked in the message you quoted. Obviously you didn't watch that excellent and informative video.

This is a diverticulitis forum. Diverticulitis is a serious medical issue. I believe it's appropriate for this forum to include threads pertaining to getting healthy and curing serious medical issues with alternative methods. Some people might be able to avoid getting sicker with diverticulitis and requiring surgery if they are educated (before that happens) about how they can get healthy by simply changing their diet and eliminating the foods that cause inflammation, which can lead to more serious medical issues.
Bonnie

Lexington, MA

#28 Aug 12, 2012
I was diagnosed with diver 3-months ago. I'm 59. I was also diagnosed with Crohn's Disease (which runs in my family like wildfire). I'm currently having my 2nd attack of diver and I'm miserable -- the Cipro/Flagyl combo suck, pure and simple. I've been on the combo for 8-days now and the last time, it took a good 2-weeks for the pain and symptoms to subside. My gastro doc (she's a top notch gastro doc at a Boston teaching hospital), didn't tell me to go to all liquid -- didn't say anything about diet, actually. She does have me on Floristor. She said if I keep on getting diver attacks, we'll need to consider surgery -- which I'm totally open to. However, I'd like to try and "heal," this naturally, if that's possible. After I heal, I'm thinking of buying a juicer to try and "drink" lots of raw veggies and fruit -- see if it helps -- protein powder too. I don't have a head for science and I'm not interested in reading a lot of websites that will either be pro or con doing this kind of thing. I want my life back (I'm so exhausted from the diver/antibiotics -- I can barely function). Has anyone here juiced for a few weeks with positive results -- other than the one person who seems to be controversial? I'm simply looking for a solution to this horrible disease! Thanks so much in advance.

Since: Jul 12

Laguna Hills, CA

#29 Aug 12, 2012
Bonnie, I feel your pain. The attacks are horrible and painful and the recovery can be frustrating. Florastor is great, I take that when I am on antibiotics and then I take another probiotic by "Nature Way" when I am off of them. I love juicing. It has made me feel better and have more energy. Since I have had two urinary tract infections that the ER doctor told me was probably from the antibiotics, I now take cranberry pills daily.

Once I am home from the hospital I put myself on a low residue diet. It takes me about two weeks to heal and feel better. After about two weeks I begin to eat cooked vegetables and I drink green vegetable juices ( kale, spinach, parsley, cucumber) with a bit of apple or carrot to add sweetness.

Juicing is a wonderful addition to one's diet. It is much kinder to our intestines, delivering the essential nutrients without the heavy fiber that can cause discomfort and pain. When I am not having an attack or recuperating from one, juicing has given me many health benefits including energy and a good sense of well being.

From reading some of the posts I believe Deb is controversial because her food plan is extreme. At least extreme for some of the people on this board. I could be wrong and do not want to assume to know their reasons, just guessing. I am open to alternative ideas because I believe in an integrated approach to health. Dr. Andrew Weil is a perfect example of a well known respected and popular physician that practices this type of medicine. If it works for Deb I say more power to her. I cannot nor do I want to survive just by juices alone. I love food too much and I enjoy cooking and entertaining.

I wish you a speedy recovery.
Deb

Mason, MI

#30 Aug 13, 2012
Lovedusty,

I don't know where you got the idea that I only consume juices. I've only done a juice fast twice since January 5th for a day or two and only one time for six days (but I still ate an apple and watermelon each day during those six days).

I've been eating raw foods, like shredded cabbage, some cottage cheese, romaine salads with veggie toppings, cauliflower, and one or two regular meals (sometimes, three or four) each week since early January. I don't consider this extreme at all -- and I don't consider it controversial (Bonnie). I simply changed my diet from milk, Pepsi, hamburgs, fries, and other junk foods to juices, raw foods, steamed veggies, and much less of the junk food.

Deb

Mason, MI

#31 Aug 13, 2012
LD,

Do you add lemon and ginger root to your juices? They are very good and should be included. Astringent and blood tonifier. Actually, ginger root is good for the entire body. Lemons will help the detox process and move the lymph system. And don't forget the celery!:)
Deb

Mason, MI

#32 Aug 13, 2012
Bonnie,

The controversy here is that one person misunderstood what I said back in February (about what, I don't remember and it's really irrelevant). That person started blasting me, and then a few of the others here joined her in blasting me (when they really didn't know why they were being negative and hateful, but they needed to be a part of the clique for some reason). And it's gone on and on since then. My diet is not controversial. Millions of people around the world have switched to juicing and raw foods and have lost lots of weight and gotten much healthier in the process.

My only intention is to be positive, share my diverticulitis experiences, and to support others here.

Laguna Hills, CA

#33 Aug 13, 2012
Deb wrote:
LD,
Do you add lemon and ginger root to your juices? They are very good and should be included. Astringent and blood tonifier. Actually, ginger root is good for the entire body. Lemons will help the detox process and move the lymph system. And don't forget the celery!:)
Hi Deb, Yes, I mix it up and do use ginger and lemon juice. Both are excellent

Laguna Hills, CA

#34 Aug 13, 2012
Deb wrote:
Lovedusty,
I don't know where you got the idea that I only consume juices. I've only done a juice fast twice since January 5th for a day or two and only one time for six days (but I still ate an apple and watermelon each day during those six days).
I've been eating raw foods, like shredded cabbage, some cottage cheese, romaine salads with veggie toppings, cauliflower, and one or two regular meals (sometimes, three or four) each week since early January. I don't consider this extreme at all -- and I don't consider it controversial (Bonnie). I simply changed my diet from milk, Pepsi, hamburgs, fries, and other junk foods to juices, raw foods, steamed veggies, and much less of the junk food.
Deb, I am sorry, I was under the impression after reading several posts that you just just drank juices and ate an apple a day. I was not aware that you ate a few cooked meals a week. Regardless, it seems that your primary source of nutrition is raw vegetables which is totally your decision and you have the right to follow any diet you please. As we all do. But remember, in most societies this is considered extreme. I am not saying it is wrong, just different. Most people, including myself would find it either very difficult or very unattractive.

I am not judging you, just expressing my opinion,
Deb

Mason, MI

#35 Aug 13, 2012
LD,

One of the problems with cooked meals is the enzymes in foods are destroyed when heated above 118 degrees. Also, most cooked (and processed) foods have way too much sodium, fat, cholesterol, starches, sugars, oils, and all those additives (and toxins) they add to preserve the foods, plus they are very low in nutrition, many are low in fiber, and can cause inflammation, constipation, and a host of other illnesses and diseases.

However, foods such as kale, spinach, parsley, carrots, and many other green leafy plants are very high in nutrition (compared to foods in the standard diet), and when you drink fresh green juice, the digestive system doesn't have to work as hard, and this allows the nutrients to help regenerate the cells, which helps to flush out the toxins, and reduce or eliminate inflammation.

Eating fruits whole, drinking green juice, and eating fresh raw vegetables and green leafy plants is the healthiest way to eat. I know this is subject to everyone's personal opinion, but people really don't understand or believe it until they actually try it for themselves. I agree with you that it's not easy to be on this diet all the time, so I satisfy my cravings sometimes, but I chose to get healthy two months after my colon surgery, and this diet has done that for me. I won't go into all the benefits I've had since January, because I've listed them all in the Juicing and Raw Foods thread in this forum (at the beginning of the thread).

The majority of people are unaware of the toxins and lack of enzymes in the cooked foods they eat, because we grew up eating regular foods, and the toxic additives and preservatives make the foods taste good. However, thousands or millions of people in the last year have changed their diets and are getting healthier after watching the popular documentary, Fat Sick & Nearly Dead. It's unbelievable how this simple diet change has changed so many people's lives for the better (including mine). It doesn't matter to me if other people think this diet (which is similar to animals' diets) is difficult or unattractive, but I definitely respect your opinion and thank you for not judging me.

If you don't have Netflix Instant Watch, you can watch the Fat Sick & Nearly Dead documentary at: http:\\www.jointhereboot.com . It's really a life-changing documentary.
Deb

Mason, MI

#36 Aug 13, 2012
lovedusty wrote:
<quoted text>
Deb, I am sorry, I was under the impression after reading several posts that you just just drank juices and ate an apple a day. I was not aware that you ate a few cooked meals a week. Regardless, it seems that your primary source of nutrition is raw vegetables which is totally your decision and you have the right to follow any diet you please. As we all do. But remember, in most societies this is considered extreme. I am not saying it is wrong, just different. Most people, including myself would find it either very difficult or very unattractive.
I am not judging you, just expressing my opinion,
Hi Lovedusty,

Since you're not new to juicing and have confirmed that you know it's helped you, you might be interested in watching some food and health documentaries. Have you ever heard of The China Study or listened to some speeches by some of those who have studied this subject for many years? I've compiled a list of all the food and health documentaries and lectures I could find on the web, in case you're ever interested. There's a lot of information in these documentaries about how to get healthy and reverse illnesses and diseases. Here's the link to the list of documentaries and lectures:

http://pws.cablespeed.com/deback/docs.htm

Laguna Hills, CA

#37 Aug 13, 2012
Deb wrote:
LD,
One of the problems with cooked meals is the enzymes in foods are destroyed when heated above 118 degrees. Also, most cooked (and processed) foods have way too much sodium, fat, cholesterol, starches, sugars, oils, and all those additives (and toxins) they add to preserve the foods, plus they are very low in nutrition, many are low in fiber, and can cause inflammation, constipation, and a host of other illnesses and diseases.
However, foods such as kale, spinach, parsley, carrots, and many other green leafy plants are very high in nutrition (compared to foods in the standard diet), and when you drink fresh green juice, the digestive system doesn't have to work as hard, and this allows the nutrients to help regenerate the cells, which helps to flush out the toxins, and reduce or eliminate inflammation.
Eating fruits whole, drinking green juice, and eating fresh raw vegetables and green leafy plants is the healthiest way to eat. I know this is subject to everyone's personal opinion, but people really don't understand or believe it until they actually try it for themselves. I agree with you that it's not easy to be on this diet all the time, so I satisfy my cravings sometimes, but I chose to get healthy two months after my colon surgery, and this diet has done that for me. I won't go into all the benefits I've had since January, because I've listed them all in the Juicing and Raw Foods thread in this forum (at the beginning of the thread).
The majority of people are unaware of the toxins and lack of enzymes in the cooked foods they eat, because we grew up eating regular foods, and the toxic additives and preservatives make the foods taste good. However, thousands or millions of people in the last year have changed their diets and are getting healthier after watching the popular documentary, Fat Sick & Nearly Dead. It's unbelievable how this simple diet change has changed so many people's lives for the better (including mine). It doesn't matter to me if other people think this diet (which is similar to animals' diets) is difficult or unattractive, but I definitely respect your opinion and thank you for not judging me.
If you don't have Netflix Instant Watch, you can watch the Fat Sick & Nearly Dead documentary at: http:\\www.jointhereboot.com . It's really a life-changing documentary.
You are welcome.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colonscopy Prep Questions (Jul '10) 17 hr Jean 92
New to Div Mon Elizabeth 2
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Sun BetsyJean 1,249
Right Side Pain (Oct '07) Jul 24 Pfucci 19
Anyone had experience with the VSL-3 probiotics... Jul 24 Nancy 7
Strictures/ blockage/ constipation Jul 24 Jenny 3
Pain location Jul 24 Helenmac 3
More from around the web