alternative 'cures'
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gillian

Exeter, UK

#1 Jul 2, 2012
I came across this list recently and thought it was really helpful for assessing whether any alternative/new treatments for Diverticulitis were worth trying.

There are so many quacky 'miracle cures' peddled on the Internet .... and some that are genuinely helpful for some people - but it can be difficult to make decisions about what is good and what is downright rubbish, especially with the hard sell that some websites display.

Using this list may help you to decide if you are being 'quacked' or not.

ww.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/avo...

The Quackwatch website this comes from is really informative and worth a look around if you have time.
Gillian

Exeter, UK

#2 Jul 2, 2012

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#3 Jul 2, 2012
Just a few links for ya. There are plenty more, if you need them. Personally, I go by my own experience with juicing and raw foods. I feel 30 years younger, have much more energy, have eliminated inflammation pain in my body, and am getting healthier every day. Today was day 180 of juicing and eating raw foods (95% of the time). What a difference it has made in my life! Thank the Lord I did NOT read the deceptive Quackbusters link you posted before I decided to switch to juicing and raw foods!!

Quackbusters Are Busted!
http://www.gaia-health.com/articles251/000277...

Quackwatch review - Is Stephen Barrett a Quack? Is he fair, balanced, or biased, by Ray Sahelian, M.D.- Quackwatch sends an email to Dr. Sahelian
http://www.raysahelian.com/quackwatch.html

Failed MD Stephen Barrett
http://www.quackpotwatch.org/quackpots/quackp...

Quackwatch: Stephen Barrett, M.D.
http://curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp...

Talk:Gary Null
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Talk:Gary_Null

Fluoride/Fraudulent "Quackbuster" Barrett suingÂ…
http://www.thyroiddiseasewiki.org/thyroid-gla...

Quackwatch website owned by Stephen Barrett, M.D., vice-president of the United States National Council Against Health Fraud and a peer-review panellist for several top medical journals. Dr. Barrett is charged with misleading the public and repeating unfounded allegations regarding natural remedies e.g.
http://www4.dr-rath-foundation.org/The_Hague/...

Dr. Stephen Barrett of Quackwatch Exposed In Court Cases
http://canlyme.com/quackwatch.html

Quackbuster Stephen Barrett:
"Not an Expert," Declares Judge!
http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/editorial/quack...

De-licensed MD Stephen Barrett
http://www.quackpotwatch.org/WisconsinWar/bar...

I've Finally Met Stephen Barrett...
Opinion by Consumer Advocate Tim Bolen
http://www.quackpotwatch.org/opinionpieces/Me...
DianaL

San Francisco, CA

#5 Jul 3, 2012
Deb, stick with your own quack-laden thread and leave this one alone. You really are needy of attention and it is plain annoying. Do you not have friends or an understanding husband? You seem to crave attention and approval on these boards from strangers. Posting fraudulent claims of righteous miracles through juicing is your own experience. There's a definite need to debunk your bull.

If you are so insecure that you need to insert yourself into other threads, get a therapist.

Your post has been reported.
Mary

Lubbock, TX

#6 Jul 3, 2012
I will say this about alternative cures - for many, many years, I had traditional treatment for major depression, including psychotherapy and cycling through over 13 medications in a 3 year period. I followed advice of physicians, the best there were, to the letter. After 13 years of trying everything conventional, I started over, saw an acupuncturist and took up yoga, a high protein diet, and running. The difference was immediate and dramatic. I fired the therapist, withdrew from the meds, and never had any other symptoms. My point is this - there is a lot that we do not know or understand. I intersect with the biomedical research community in my own research. Be under no illusions - there is definitely a belief system and a highly political "good buddy" system in the medical/scientific community as well. There are profit motives at work on both sides. It is almost impossible to get studies funded or published without being an insider. Many alternative methods, like the use of probiotics, were scoffed at by the medical community just 5 years ago and are now recommended on a routine basis. Taxol, the breast cancer drug, was an herbal treatment used by primitive cultures. Aspirin compounds are present in a type of willow bark, used for decades as relief for toothaches. There is probably some substance to the claims by those who use medical marijuana. I personally like Dr. Weil, who seems to give a good mix of alternative and conventional approaches. Many of the alternative approaches have been around for centuries, and may be safer than some prescription drugs.

Location hidden

#7 Jul 3, 2012
DianaL wrote:
Deb, stick with your own quack-laden thread and leave this one alone. You really are needy of attention and it is plain annoying. Do you not have friends or an understanding husband? You seem to crave attention and approval on these boards from strangers. Posting fraudulent claims of righteous miracles through juicing is your own experience. There's a definite need to debunk your bull.
If you are so insecure that you need to insert yourself into other threads, get a therapist.
Your post has been reported.
DianaL,

What steps will YOU be taking to overcome YOUR insecurity that finds you inserting your contentious self into the threads I've posted on, as if you're on a mission to follow me around in order to satiate your need to be bellicose and to display your benightedness?
DianaL

Vallejo, CA

#8 Jul 3, 2012
Nope, not insecure. Just want to make sure that any sick person who comes on here looking for good, safe advice won't follow your extreme, unscientific and potentially dangerous advice.

As for fact-based assertions, I am all for finding better and healthier ways to live without chemicals. Juicing and the other things Deb is a strident believer in have been around for decades. She acts like this is new but it is not.

Don't drink the Kool Aid!
DianaL

United States

#10 Jul 3, 2012
Christ woman you are dense! If someone comes on this thread who is sick with Diverticulitis DO NOT JUICE OR DO RAW! It could make you much more sick.

Clueless idiot!
natalie

Saint-eustache, Canada

#11 Jul 3, 2012
Back to basics ladies: THIS IS A THREAD FOR PEOPLE WHO SUFFER FROM DIVERTICULITIS and alternative cures for that. That is the heading for this thread.

NOT how to look better, how to lose weight, OFF F**KING TOPIC, once again. We are trying to start a discussion, not continue a goddamn argument.

Once AGAIN, jucing and eating raw was talked about WITHOUT specifying that it was AFTER SURGERY.

We pretty much all want to be healthy, but posts need to be more specific as to what phase we're in with respect to diverticulitis!!!!!
Jim

United States

#12 Jul 3, 2012
Deb from Mich wrote:
<quoted text>
DianaL,
What steps will YOU be taking to overcome YOUR insecurity that finds you inserting your contentious self into the threads I've posted on, as if you're on a mission to follow me around in order to satiate your need to be bellicose and to display your benightedness?
who was it that posted on this thread first?????
It sure wasn't DEB from Mich.
who is the crazy one???????? It sure is Deb from Mich!!!!!!!
Gillian

Exeter, UK

#13 Jul 4, 2012
I wasn't de-bunking anything on here - All I was trying to get across is that there are a lot of charlatans out there who prey on desperate people.

As I said, there are some genuinely helpful things out there ......and some complete quackery. The list is to help you recognise the dubious ones.
Gillian

Exeter, UK

#14 Jul 4, 2012
And all the stuff posted by Deb about Dr Stephen Barrett is incorrect, He has not been 'de-licenced'-he is retired, so no longer registers.

Most of the links are to known alternative websites who have distorted the truth and in cases downright lied in their articles against him.

Also, He has to fight a barrage of court cases against him continually and has NEVER been prosecuted for anything, or had to pay compensation to anyone - which is more than I can say for all the people Deb has been spouting and posting about.

The piece about Dr Mercola for instance.... a quick google search using only the words 'Mercola FDA'will reveal Barrett is not the only person concerned about his activities.

Most of the other links are to articles about his supposed links to 'Big Pharma', written by conspiracy theorists - the ones who are touting the idea that the government want to keep people ill for the profits from 'Big Pharma'.

The Gary Null article is actually from the 'Talk' section on ration wiki which is just an open forum about the information on the 'Page'- if you click onto the page (tab at the top) you will see that it is actually a slating review of his work. The extract below gives a flavour of it's tone:

'In a crowning moment of apoplectic irony, Null nearly died from overdosing on Vitamin D from eating his own branded "Ultimate Power Meal" twice a day. So you can't say he isn't sincere. He is suing the company that makes it for him."

I don't usually check out all Deb's links because she posts so many, but I'm glad I did this time - not laughed so much for ages!

Location hidden

#15 Jul 4, 2012
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
who was it that posted on this thread first?????
It sure wasn't DEB from Mich.
who is the crazy one???????? It sure is Deb from Mich!!!!!!!
Georgia,

Very intelligent post, Georgia!

At least I use the same name every time I post.

So now you're JIM. How many personalities do you have, Geo-Geo?

Location hidden

#16 Jul 4, 2012
Gillian,

Glad to hear I helped you to laugh! I'm sure you'll disagree, but laughter is great for the soul and for your health! Whether you agree or not, I think you needed a good laugh!

Are you feeling any better yet?

Location hidden

#17 Jul 4, 2012
Here's an excellent page on an alternative and natural cure for diverticulitis. I don't agree with eating poultry, fish, and grains after you've healed from a DD attack, but those foods are better than red meats, dairy, sugars, and processed, packaged, and cooked foods.

Natural Cures for Diverticulitis
http://suite101.com/article/natural-cures-for...

By the way, I do agree that it's OKAY to drink fresh fruit and vegetable juices while you're healing. There is no fiber, and these juices are healing due to their anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and cancer-fighting properties.

I still believe that my colon could have healed itself if I had changed my diet soon after my colonoscopy, in which two polyps were removed. My pain went away after that, and I have no doubt my inflamed colon would have healed itself by drinking fresh fruit and vegetable juices. Remember, there's no fiber in these juices, so there would be NO irritation when going through the colon. This is pure common sense.

Here's a clip confirming this from the above link:

Fresh, Raw Vegetable Juices Provide Optimum Nutrition and Healing
Get more energy and return to vibrant health through the juices of anti-oxidant-packed cancer-fighting vegetables. By investing in a juicer and making your own, you can consume more servings of healthy produce than you could ever eat. Dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, romaine, and kale have anti-inflammatory properties and contain large amounts of vitamin K, deficiencies of which are linked to digestive disorders. Cruciferous vegetables like cabbage and broccoli have a reputation for healing peptic ulcers and preventing bowel cancers, probably due to their high folate and B vitamin content. Tasty and nutritious juice combinations to try are: celery, tomato, cucumber, red bell pepper and carrot; apple and celery, or spinach, parsley, tomato and celery. Many people enjoy pure carrot juice.
Gillian

Exeter, UK

#18 Jul 4, 2012
Sounds very sensible until you realise that the author of the article is Mary Earhart, a retired midwife who recommends alternative cancer treatments of juices made from 'wheatgrass, green juice, sprouts and algae'

http://suite101.com/article/alternative-healt...

Sorry, Deb, I have nothing against juicing, per se, but it is not a cure for anything!

Location hidden

#19 Jul 4, 2012
Gillian,

Thanks, nice link, and it supports what I've learned about how juicing and raw foods will help to heal diseases and illnesses.

You would find that you're wrong, if only you did the research into how juices can cure lots of illnesses and diseases, including cancer. The information is abundant, but you have to search for it, or click on some of the links I've provided in the juicing thread.

Wheatgrass is the most nutritional juice you can drink. Carrot juice does heal cancer. Kale and spinach are two of the ingredients that have helped to eliminate all of the inflammation from my body and have made me feel 30 years younger.

Have you watched the VSH videos featuring Dr. Ruth Heidrich? Changing her diet cured her breast cancer. She wisely chose not to go with the deadly chemo and radiation treatments (that only end up killing people by making their conditions worse). She's in her 70s and still runs and has won hundreds of trophies for competing in races.

Ruth is speaking in the first three videos listed under VSH in my documentary list at:

http://pws.cablespeed.com/deback/docs.htm

Then you could watch the Dr. William Harris lectures at VSH. You should be able to understand most of what he talks about (many people will not understand, but you probably won't agree with what he says, unless you rid your mind of the things you learned in your childhood).

Raw foods and fresh juices are very high in nutrients. They provide the body with the nutrients it needs, as compared to foods from the standard diet that don't provide the required nutrients.

I agree that raw foods and juices probably are not the only reason why so many people are being healed from their diseases and illnesses. Eliminating the low-nutrient, low-fiber, and disease-causing foods (meats, dairy, sugars, fats, breads, cooked foods, processed foods, packaged foods, etc) is what actually helps the body to heal.

Location hidden

#20 Jul 4, 2012
Eliminating the low-nutrient, low-fiber, and disease-causing foods (meats, dairy, sugars, fats, breads, cooked foods, processed foods, packaged foods, etc) and replacing those foods with raw foods and fresh juices is what actually helps the body to heal.

Location hidden

#21 Jul 4, 2012
There's absolutely nothing wrong with "a retired midwife who recommends alternative cancer treatments of juices made from 'wheatgrass, green juice, sprouts and algae'" -- especially if you have a positive and optimistic attitude, as I have....

Attitude is the key. If you're negative about everything and close your mind to new information, you'll never understand. This applies to all of you with pessimistic and negative thinking, including the one with multiple personalities and the one with the drunken sailor mentality.
natalie

Saint-eustache, Canada

#22 Jul 4, 2012
This applies to all of you with pessimistic and negative thinking, including the one with multiple personalities and the one with the drunken sailor mentality.

takes one to know one!!! ARRGGG me maties!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) 6 hr Alebel 4,725
Doc problems Feb 25 sueb 3
how do i get a grip and stop worrying? (Apr '16) Feb 25 RamR 18
side affects from colon resection. (Jun '11) Feb 22 Lon k 75
Diverticulosis and Constipation Feb 20 donnadonna 4
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Feb 18 Shawno 2,666
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Feb 15 Betsy 1,519
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Feb 13 Rhonda wolford 86
More from around the web