Information before Colostomy Reversal

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fran

United States

#1 Dec 19, 2009
Help please, can anyone tell me what procedures needs to be done before my colostomy reversal?!? I know I'll have to have a colonscopy. However is there anything else (ct scan, x-ray, etc.)? I had emergency surgery on November 5 for preferated intestine and now have a colostomy. The surgeon doesn't tell me anything and if I ask him a question he makes me feel like I am bothering him. He just left for a month out of the country and he mention "there is a few things that need to be done before the reversal". I ask him "what will they be" he said "don't worry about it until he comes back to the us"!!! I can't believe this and was stun to say the least!!! Please help!!!
Dave

Orangeville, Canada

#2 Dec 20, 2009
Hi Fran,

Sorry to hear about your emergency. I too shared the same fate.
You will need rest to heal and prevent infection, that's why you are given the colostomy as a temporary procedure. When your surgeon returns you will be asked to set up the reversal. Typically, it will be more than 3 months dependent on the healing and physical status at the time. I was 5 months post emergency. Suggest you eat nutritiously and light exercise and rest. I did not have a colonscopy or ct scans before the surgery, although it is a good option to provide details to the medical team on your inner workings.

I would say the main thing is not to worry and keep your anxiety down. It is a challenging and emotional time. You will be able to get through this, with support, information and guidance. Keep us informed of your progress. Dave
Susan M

Harleysville, PA

#3 Dec 20, 2009
You can google "preparation for colostomy reversal". Basically its stopping certain drugs before surgery that might interfer with blood clotting and the prep to clean out the bowel.
Fran

Grass Valley, CA

#4 Dec 20, 2009
Dave,

Thanx for your insight, it's very helpful. I am extremely scared and am trying to understand all that is going to be done prior, during and after the reversal. As it was a shock to be told that I was going to have to have emergency surgery and have a bag on the side of my stomach for the next three or so months. I was told I had diverticilities at the er and prior to a few hours before this never had one symthom. Now I am really trying to understand everything and get mentally and physically prepared. How long was your recovery after the reversal? What was worst part after the reversal? Sorry for the questions, I am really scared!!!
Fran

Grass Valley, CA

#5 Dec 20, 2009
Dave, Thanx for your insight, it's very helpful. I am extremely scared and am trying to understand all that is going to be done prior, during and after the reversal. As it was a shock to be told that I was going to have to have emergency surgery and have a bag on the side of my stomach for the next three or so months. I was told I had diverticilities at the er and prior to a few hours before this never had one symthom. Now I am really trying to understand everything and get mentally and physically prepared. How long was your recovery after the reversal? What was worst part after the reversal? Sorry for the questions, I am really scared!!!
Dave wrote:
Hi Fran,
Sorry to hear about your emergency. I too shared the same fate.
You will need rest to heal and prevent infection, that's why you are given the colostomy as a temporary procedure. When your surgeon returns you will be asked to set up the reversal. Typically, it will be more than 3 months dependent on the healing and physical status at the time. I was 5 months post emergency. Suggest you eat nutritiously and light exercise and rest. I did not have a colonscopy or ct scans before the surgery, although it is a good option to provide details to the medical team on your inner workings.
I would say the main thing is not to worry and keep your anxiety down. It is a challenging and emotional time. You will be able to get through this, with support, information and guidance. Keep us informed of your progress. Dave
Fran

Grass Valley, CA

#6 Dec 20, 2009
Susan,
Thank you, I just did some research on google, why didn't I think of that! It' seems the prep. is pretty easy, I hope recovery is too!?! Thank god for this site, before my emergency colostomy surgery, I had never heard of one. I never knew that people can have their intestine (stoma) surgically put on the side of thier tummy...wow how one day you can wake up, not know what can happen in a few hours and learn a whole new lifestyle....it's hard!:\
Susan M wrote:
You can google "preparation for colostomy reversal". Basically its stopping certain drugs
before surgery that might interfer with blood clotting and the prep to clean out the bowel.
Dave

Orangeville, Canada

#7 Dec 21, 2009
Fran, I really know what you are experiencing. I too was scared and traumatized by the whole thing (I started the blog 6-months post-op). I never had a symptom or any pain in my life. I am now 8 months reversal and 13 since the emergency. It has taken me this long to adjust and get back. It is a long process for most people so just be patient. Set small goals that can be measured.
Eat well and get plenty of rest to prepare for surgery. In some ways the elective surgery was harder since there is more time to worry. If I could suggest to not worry so much. This procedure is proven and you will be in good medical hands. Yes, nearly dying is a life changer. But we survived and we move forward. You will be able to prepare for the reversal and come through this. Dave
DEBBY

Oviedo, FL

#8 Feb 26, 2010
Hoping someone can advise me. I had stoma reveral December 15, 2009, and since then I have had recurring infections where my stoma was. I am not on antibiotics and have not seen my surgeon for this last time which started a couple of days ago, the blister popped tonight and now is oozing blood and pus. The last time I saw my surgeon was 2 weeks ago for another infection at the stoma closure site but in a different location.(the infections are about 1/4 inch apart). Is this normal? or should I be worried? Thank you
natalie

Laval, Canada

#9 Feb 27, 2010
wow debby, such big procedures to go through. I have no idea what a stome reversal is but if it is oozing, that cannot be good. If you can, have it checked out. Good luck and good health to you
Linda

United States

#10 Apr 27, 2010
I too am scared to death. Can't use that word, but I am scared. I had Uterization for fibrois, then go a fever went back to doctor and was rushed to hospital. I was there for 22 days, but they gave me an unnecessary hysthorectomy and killed my colon. I woke up with a stoma. GOD, then I had reversal surgery three or four months later that didn't take. Now, I am having it again in May. I have a different doctor and he is calling someone else in with him. I am hoping and praying it works this time. I almost lost my life. I also have a fistula which was torn during the hysthorecoty? They say it was too soon to have a reversal in October it was like butter and won't take. OH Boy!
Karen

Saint Cloud, MN

#12 Aug 3, 2010
Coloidal silver..use it topically and take internaly..it should only be purchased in a glass bottle. The brand I found is Sovereign Silver..research it! Good luck to you!
DEBBY wrote:
Hoping someone can advise me. I had stoma reveral December 15, 2009, and since then I have had recurring infections where my stoma was. I am not on antibiotics and have not seen my surgeon for this last time which started a couple of days ago, the blister popped tonight and now is oozing blood and pus. The last time I saw my surgeon was 2 weeks ago for another infection at the stoma closure site but in a different location.(the infections are about 1/4 inch apart). Is this normal? or should I be worried? Thank you
Rosa

Broomfield, CO

#13 May 10, 2011
I also had a injury and as result woke up with a stoma on my stomach. I am scheduled for a reversal in a couple of months. Will drinking alcohol slow down my reversal? I've read that sometimes when they are ready to perform the procedure sometimes they go in and realize they can't do the reversal. Does anyone know anything about this? Is there anything I should do to help the healing process?
Karen

Duluth, MN

#14 May 11, 2011
Use Colloidal Silver for infection...It will heal you very quickly!
DEBBY wrote:
Gillian

Bristol, UK

#15 May 11, 2011
Rosa, I do know that eating lots of good quality protein helps with wound healing -so I should think it also applies to internal wounds as well.
mandy

Austin, TX

#16 May 29, 2011
I am having a hard time with being in this position.(6 weeks) post colostomy, and knowing my only other choice was death. I never wants this. It just happened to me.
Gillian

Gillingham, UK

#17 May 30, 2011
It 'just happened' to most of us, Mandy -you just need to take some time out to get your head around it.

As you say -you could be dead -best to try and make the most of what you've got or it will just make you miserable.
Gillian

Gillingham, UK

#18 May 30, 2011
Anyone who is silly enough to consider spending their hard earned money on colloidal silver should give this article a read before they take it :

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTo...

You will notice that the references at the end are from professional medical/scientific sources,unlike websites which try to sell this stuff.

Colloidal silver was used by doctors until the discovery of a much safer and reliable product that worked - antibiotics.
Karen

Duluth, MN

#19 May 31, 2011
Say what you want...it healed infections that were not responding to these so called "better meds"
Gillian wrote:
Anyone who is silly enough to consider spending their hard earned money on colloidal silver should give this article a read before they take it :
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTo...
You will notice that the references at the end are from professional medical/scientific sources,unlike websites which try to sell this stuff.
Colloidal silver was used by doctors until the discovery of a much safer and reliable product that worked - antibiotics.
patient in pain

Plano, TX

#20 Oct 31, 2011
I had colostomy reversal surgery about 3 weeks ago. Ever since surgery, I keep having urge to push, like I am going to have a bowl movement. It is very painful in my anal area. I went back to ER for this, all they tell me is its going to take time to heal.
Did this happen to anyone? Please help, if you have any solution for this.
Joseph

Port Jefferson, NY

#22 Jan 14, 2012
Hi Everyone, I'm a 53 year old man that got colon cancer and had emergency surgery. I ended up with a temperary colostomy.
I now have tried 3 times and always have to cancel. the reason is because the meds I have to take pre-surgery after 24 hrs. of fasting really upset my stoamach so bad that drinking the prep it impossible. I throw-up and get very sick. It took 2 times to figure out that was the problem. So the third time they tried installing a tube in my nose down my throat and I was not able to take it, the tube was to big and they pulled it out.
I feel like I will be stuck with this bag the rest of my life. It's really taking a toll on me.
My surgeon said this is the only way and he actually gave up and doen't wan't anything to do with me anymore, so I'm on my own.
I was hoping someone would know if there was other options. also if anyone went trough the same thing.
best of luck to all and Thank you, Joe

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Doc problems 4 hr Alebel 2
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) 4 hr Alebel 4,722
side affects from colon resection. (Jun '11) Feb 22 Lon k 75
Diverticulosis and Constipation Feb 20 donnadonna 4
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Feb 18 Shawno 2,666
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Feb 15 Betsy 1,519
Still have diverticulitis infection (Jan '08) Feb 14 Scott 83
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Feb 13 Rhonda wolford 86
More from around the web