Diarrhea 6 months post colon resection

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

Louisville, KY

#1 Sep 27, 2008
I had 12 inches of sigmoid colon removed in March of this year.
Everything went well until I started having explosive, uncontrollable diarrhea about a month after surgery. I had a CT scan about 2 months ago which was normal but things seem to be worsening and the number of diarrhea incidents are increasing. This happens at least 1 or 2 times a week and often occurs shortly after 1 or 2 normal bowel movements.
Does anyone else have this problem and, if so, what do you do that helps?
Thanks.

Since: Jun 08

Trevose, PA

#2 Sep 30, 2008
Hummingbird,

Today I am 4 months post-op. Never had the problems you are encountering. Did you have open or lap surgery?

One of the online health letters I get recently had a series on diarrhea. It said that it is a symptom and not "your body trying expel something" as many people think. It can be caused by a virus, food allergies, stress, medications or disruption to your digestive system.

Do keep a log? Maybe there is a "trigger"?

I have always wondered if the staples that most of us wind up with permanently have any tendency to cause "irritation". Have you had any follow up blood work to look for infection?

Hope you feel better soon!

Patt

Louisville, KY

#3 Oct 1, 2008
Patrick L wrote:
Hummingbird,
Today I am 4 months post-op. Never had the problems you are encountering. Did you have open or lap surgery?
One of the online health letters I get recently had a series on diarrhea. It said that it is a symptom and not "your body trying expel something" as many people think. It can be caused by a virus, food allergies, stress, medications or disruption to your digestive system.
Do keep a log? Maybe there is a "trigger"?
I have always wondered if the staples that most of us wind up with permanently have any tendency to cause "irritation". Have you had any follow up blood work to look for infection?
Hope you feel better soon!
Patt
Thanks for your response, Patt. I had open surgery. I haven't had any follow up blood work done but the surgeon did another CT scan. It turned out to be o.k. I think the next thing that's going to happen is a colonscopy. I've attempted to keep a log but am having difficulties determining what's triggering this problem.
Charlotte

Norristown, PA

#4 Oct 5, 2008
hummingbird114 wrote:
I had 12 inches of sigmoid colon removed in March of this year.
Everything went well until I started having explosive, uncontrollable diarrhea about a month after surgery. I had a CT scan about 2 months ago which was normal but things seem to be worsening and the number of diarrhea incidents are increasing. This happens at least 1 or 2 times a week and often occurs shortly after 1 or 2 normal bowel movements.
Does anyone else have this problem and, if so, what do you do that helps?
Thanks.
Has your diahrrea resolved. I am having surgery, open also on October 13th. Do the staples cause irriation? Did you find out?
Did your doctor tell you this would be a side effect of the surgery?
Charlotte
jeff

Spokane, WA

#5 Oct 6, 2008
Hello all,

I am 3 weeks out of a sigmoid resection for diveritulitis. Surgery went well and I was out of the hospital a few days early. Recovery has been fast for me, but has one problem many are talking about.

The surgeon told me to expect more frequent bowel movements and it would take 6-12 months for it to slow down as the body adjust to have a foot less colon.

Doctor also said start taking fiber and add fiber rich foods to diet, with the key word being slowly.

I went on citrocel tabs with max intake being 6 a day, I started off taking 4 to 5. Really bad idea, slow means slow. I changed my diet to fiber rich foods and added fiber pills too fast, really bad idea.

I stopped taking the fiber pills and now back down to about 4-5 BM a day which is only about 1 or 2 above my routine before the surgery.

See the thing they fail to tell you is that if you add fiber sups to your diet an also add fiber rich foods you can take too much fiber into fast. Fiber can constipate, but if you drink enough water which I do, then it can have the opposite reaction which is lots of BM's.

Read the fine print on your fiber sup bottle. Somewhere on the bottle it wills day natural laxative.

Not good if you are going all the time, lost a foot of colon and take to much of it.

Doctors should have a in depth print out for you when you leave the office, unfortunatley most the time it just give you a few things to look out for and that is it.

My advice for post colon resection and frequent BM's. Slow down a little on the fiber and introduce it very slowly. Seems to be working for me.

Trevose, PA

#6 Oct 6, 2008
Jeff,

I've found the supps cause pain. I eat cereal, snack bars and real food.

Patt

Louisville, KY

#7 Oct 12, 2008
Charlotte wrote:
<quoted text>
Has your diahrrea resolved. I am having surgery, open also on October 13th. Do the staples cause irriation? Did you find out?
Did your doctor tell you this would be a side effect of the surgery?
Charlotte
I'm sorry, Charlotte, that I missed your reply until the day before your surgery. Haven't been online at all this week. I hope it goes really well for you. The doctor didn't really tell me that diarrhea would be a side effect of the surgery. He did say that I could have many bowel movements a day up till about a year, but not loose like I'm having.
I wish you a quick recovery.
ginny

Sherborn, MA

#8 Oct 12, 2008
I'm so happy I found this site. I've been suffering for weeks. I had a ct scan last wednesday and was told that I have accute diver. I've been pooping ok but the upper left side pain under my ribs just won't go away. I don't know what to eat. They put me on flagyl and cipro just in case as I was told that there was no infection The antibiotics gave me blisters in my mouth call thrush.This morning I woke up took my antibotic thew them all upand have been miserabe evr since. I'm scared to eat any thing and I'm starving right now. Any suggestions?? I'm seeing my gastro dr. tuesday if I don't die from hunger in the meantime.

Since: Oct 08

Sherborn, MA

#9 Oct 12, 2008
what do I eat until I see my Gastro Dr. I had a ct scan with no infection The pain is so bad in my upper side just under my ribs, The antibiotics are making me sick

Trevose, PA

#10 Oct 12, 2008
Ginny,

The thrush is easily treated, I have had it several times and there is a liquid medicine that works very quickly. I went to my pharmacist for another member of our little community here a few weeks ago and got the name of it and posted it. I'm all shopped out now and can't remember it but it is on this site somewhere.

The general consensus is to eat clear and soft. I personally did not have a problem eating when I had an attack as long as I ate much smaller portions, but I know this is a common problem. The medication tends to make you feel worse before you feel better but make sure you take all your doses.

I hope you feel better soon!

Patt
Joy

Brampton, Canada

#11 Oct 12, 2008
Hi Ginny, I would recommend that you stick with clear liquids as much as you can. Jello, clear soups, Gatorade, tea with sugar (no milk). I know that doesn't do a lot to assuage hunger but just do it frequently and drink lots of water too. Flagyl is a very aggressive antibiotic for some people and I am one of them. It made me feel very nauseous and gave me terrible diarrhea. I stopped taking it after two days because the "cure" was worse than the sickness. I just use Cipro when I have to take antibiotics. I have found that the best way to deal with attacks is to go on liquids (give your colol a rest) and lots of rest. Go and lie down and give your body a chance to recover. Sleep as much as you can. I use a heater pad on the painful area which helps me to relax. Not sure what to recommend for painkillers. I was using enteric aspirin during my last attack and I think ti was a bad idea with hindsight. Probably tylenol is safer (less acidic). Of course, sometimes the pain is better than the nausea that comes from the upset stomach produced by taking pain killers.I hope you feel better soon :-) Joy

Trevose, PA

#12 Oct 13, 2008
A quick note about Flagyl, it is an anti protozoic, it treats more than just the normal bacteria we normally have trouble with, it is strong nasty stuff, but think of the poisons and toxins that our digestive system deals with everyday without problem.

In some of my first attacks, they used Augmentin to help me, and it worked well. It was not until my last few episodes that they went to Flagyl and Cipro.
ginny

AOL

#13 Oct 13, 2008
ginny wrote:
I'm so happy I found this site. I've been suffering for weeks. I had a ct scan last wednesday and was told that I have accute diver. I've been pooping ok but the upper left side pain under my ribs just won't go away. I don't know what to eat. They put me on flagyl and cipro just in case as I was told that there was no infection The antibiotics gave me blisters in my mouth call thrush.This morning I woke up took my antibotic thew them all upand have been miserabe evr since. I'm scared to eat any thing and I'm starving right now. Any suggestions?? I'm seeing my gastro dr. tuesday if I don't die from hunger in the meantime.
ginny,have you been tested for celiac disease??
its a simple "genetic" blood test.
good luck.
Charlotte

Norristown, PA

#14 Oct 19, 2008
jeff wrote:
Hello all,
I am 3 weeks out of a sigmoid resection for diveritulitis. Surgery went well and I was out of the hospital a few days early. Recovery has been fast for me, but has one problem many are talking about.
The surgeon told me to expect more frequent bowel movements and it would take 6-12 months for it to slow down as the body adjust to have a foot less colon.
Doctor also said start taking fiber and add fiber rich foods to diet, with the key word being slowly.
I went on citrocel tabs with max intake being 6 a day, I started off taking 4 to 5. Really bad idea, slow means slow. I changed my diet to fiber rich foods and added fiber pills too fast, really bad idea.
I stopped taking the fiber pills and now back down to about 4-5 BM a day which is only about 1 or 2 above my routine before the surgery.
See the thing they fail to tell you is that if you add fiber sups to your diet an also add fiber rich foods you can take too much fiber into fast. Fiber can constipate, but if you drink enough water which I do, then it can have the opposite reaction which is lots of BM's.
Read the fine print on your fiber sup bottle. Somewhere on the bottle it wills day natural laxative.
Not good if you are going all the time, lost a foot of colon and take to much of it.
Doctors should have a in depth print out for you when you leave the office, unfortunatley most the time it just give you a few things to look out for and that is it.
My advice for post colon resection and frequent BM's. Slow down a little on the fiber and introduce it very slowly. Seems to be working for me.
Jeff,
Thanks for the post. I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I am taking my usual 6 metamusil pills and just ate small amounts of food, but were high in fiber. I guess I'm so scared I won't have a bm as I don't have a ton of gas coming out. Did anyone tell you burbs count as gas?
It doesn't sound right to me. One is the stomach and one is the other end.
I heard it from a nurse when I left today.
Charlotte

Norristown, PA

#15 Oct 19, 2008
ginny wrote:
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't ask about stools and my surgeon didn't volenteer. I'm cutting back on the fiber tomorrow, after reading some of these posts.
Thanks!
Richard

Nicosia, Cyprus

#16 Nov 9, 2008
i had a colon resection on the 22nd october and i am wandering when it would be practical to go back to work. i am still in quite a lot of pain (i had open surgery) and i do not want to damage anything by rushing.
could anyone advise me.
thanks

Trevose, PA

#17 Nov 9, 2008
Richard wrote:
i had a colon resection on the 22nd october and i am wandering when it would be practical to go back to work. i am still in quite a lot of pain (i had open surgery) and i do not want to damage anything by rushing.
could anyone advise me.
thanks
Richard,

I'd say, "when you feel up to it". The open surgery is harder than the lap surgery and it took me about 5 weeks to feel strong enough to put in full days. I was not in pain, just could not stay awake.

I hope you feel better soon!

Patt
Field

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Nov 9, 2008
I had taken metamucil every night for over 10 years. When I checked out I asked the nurse prac about it and she said to wait at least two weeks before starting the meta again. So far I am having ok bms and I don't know if I will return to that regimen again.

Trevose, PA

#19 Nov 10, 2008
Field wrote:
I had taken metamucil every night for over 10 years. When I checked out I asked the nurse prac about it and she said to wait at least two weeks before starting the meta again. So far I am having ok bms and I don't know if I will return to that regimen again.
Field,

I started making sure I had fiber rich snacks around. I found that taking the supplements with the fiber diet hurt. I wish I could enough vegetables etc for all fiber, but since I don't, I make sure to get it from cereal and snacks. And of course I have to drink lots of water.

Patt
Richard

Nicosia, Cyprus

#20 Nov 10, 2008
Thanks for that Patt, i am trying not to feel guilty about sitting at home

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sigmoid Colectomy for Diverticular Disease 19 hr labfish 37
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Mar 26 richardboyce 2,328
flareup after eating hot sauce yesterday Mar 25 Sherry 9
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Mar 23 BPKaren 4,558
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) Mar 23 Anne 1,095
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Mar 21 LKK 29
colon and bladder problem (Nov '10) Mar 19 ladycougar 26
More from around the web