recovering from attack of diverticulitis

Posted in the Diverticulitis Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Christina

Europe

#1 May 20, 2011
I was hospitalised on the 9th of May with my second attack in 2 years, they kept me in for 5 days and I am on a course of antibiotics (metrinizadole and cefradine) which I am on till the 3rd june. The consultant said that I need to go next week to discuss the operation he wants to preform in 3 months or so time to remove part of my colon. I am still at home and can't go out and generally feel unwell. I still have lots of pain and sometimes don't know how much more of this i can take. I'm 32 years old. I have been doing some research online and have been reading about a drug called serovera I wondered if anyone had tried this and weather it's worth trying. also has anyone got any tips on how I can start to feel well again. as i'm confused on what to eat and drink?
Georgia

United States

#2 May 20, 2011
Hi Christina,
I had an attack that lasted for 2 1/2 months because I didn't know what to eat or drink. As soon as the antibiotics were gone, it would come back. My Dr. was no help, then I found this forum and it saved me. I learned that when I (everyone is different) had pain, it was something I ate that caused it. I was told to go on the Mayo Clinic diet for Diverticulitis. A diverticulitis diet gives your digestive tract a chance to rest while your doctor treats your diverticulitis. By limiting yourself to clear liquids and slowly adding low-fiber foods to your diet, your digestive tract has time to heal.
Diverticulitis diet during an attack
During an attack of diverticulitis, your doctor may recommend diverticulitis treatments. Your doctor may also recommend that you stick to a clear liquid diet for two or three days.
Foods and beverages allowed on a clear liquid diet include:
 Broth, Clear soda, Fruit juices without pulp, Ice chips, Ice pops without bits of fruit or fruit pulp, Plain gelatin, Plain water, Tea or coffee without cream
Diverticulitis diet once signs and symptoms begin to resolve
As you start feeling better, your doctor will recommend that you slowly introduce low-fiber foods. Low-fiber foods include: Canned fruits, Desserts without seeds or nuts, Eggs, Enriched white bread, Fruit juice with little or no pulp, Low-fiber cereals, Milk, Yogurt or cheese without seeds or nuts, Smooth peanut butter, Tender meat, poultry and fish,White rice or plain pasta, noodles or macaroni, Well-cooked vegetables without seeds or skins. You may need this low fiber diet for a couple weeks or more before slowly starting back on the fiber foods. Also it is extremely important to eat tiny meals—about the size of half a sandwich. To much food can also cause a good amount of pain. Good luck, I sure hope this helps.
Christina

Europe

#3 May 20, 2011
Georgia wrote:
Hi Christina,
I had an attack that lasted for 2 1/2 months because I didn't know what to eat or drink. As soon as the antibiotics were gone, it would come back. My Dr. was no help, then I found this forum and it saved me. I learned that when I (everyone is different) had pain, it was something I ate that caused it. I was told to go on the Mayo Clinic diet for Diverticulitis. A diverticulitis diet gives your digestive tract a chance to rest while your doctor treats your diverticulitis. By limiting yourself to clear liquids and slowly adding low-fiber foods to your diet, your digestive tract has time to heal.
Diverticulitis diet during an attack
During an attack of diverticulitis, your doctor may recommend diverticulitis treatments. Your doctor may also recommend that you stick to a clear liquid diet for two or three days.
Foods and beverages allowed on a clear liquid diet include:
 Broth, Clear soda, Fruit juices without pulp, Ice chips, Ice pops without bits of fruit or fruit pulp, Plain gelatin, Plain water, Tea or coffee without cream
Diverticulitis diet once signs and symptoms begin to resolve
As you start feeling better, your doctor will recommend that you slowly introduce low-fiber foods. Low-fiber foods include: Canned fruits, Desserts without seeds or nuts, Eggs, Enriched white bread, Fruit juice with little or no pulp, Low-fiber cereals, Milk, Yogurt or cheese without seeds or nuts, Smooth peanut butter, Tender meat, poultry and fish,White rice or plain pasta, noodles or macaroni, Well-cooked vegetables without seeds or skins. You may need this low fiber diet for a couple weeks or more before slowly starting back on the fiber foods. Also it is extremely important to eat tiny meals—about the size of half a sandwich. To much food can also cause a good amount of pain. Good luck, I sure hope this helps.
Thanks georgia for your advice.. I think i'll stick to liquids for a while at least until the pain subsides and then follow your list.( honestly i'll do anything not to feel like this anymore) Can i ask weather you have had surgery or not?
Georgia

United States

#4 May 20, 2011
No surgery, I think I have been lucky from hearing all the other stories. I have had Diverticulitis for about 10 years. I used to have an attack every 4 months like clockwork, take my antibiotics and the attack would go away. I don't believe my attacks were ever really bad, I never had a temperature, I never changed my eating from fiber like brocolli and salads, and I never missed a day of work. I retired from my stressful job, and almost 2 years later realized I hadn't had an attack since I retired. Since I had not changed my diet I decided that stress was a trigger for my attacks. I have had 2 attacks since and I definitely caused them. One attack was bad and it went on for a couple of months till I found this forum. Since my pills took care of the attacks, I never learned what I should not eat when you are having an attack. From all the talk about these antibiotics really making people sick, that the Dr's throw at you (and not telling you how you can help yourself with diet) is really negligent.
I do everything I can not to have to take those pills, including eating tons of fiber when I am well. One of the people (Gillian, who knows everything) started me eating oat bran and I love it. I put it in everything and the porriage tastes exactly like cream of wheat, and it has more fiber and protein than oatmeal. sorry for rambling on so. I really hope you feel better really soon. Good luck.
liz

United States

#5 May 28, 2011
My husband was just diagnosed with Diverticulitis yesterday, spending 7 hours in the Emergency Room for a CAT scan, IV antibiotics, etc. The medications are wreaking havoc on his stomach. A purely liquid diet is not working. He threw up tonight and has been miserable all day, nauseous, headache, etc. He has held down white bread and pasta in his chicken broth. Has anyone tried cream of wheat? It looks low in fiber and may apsorb some of all the yucky stuff that the medication creates.
Georgia

United States

#6 May 28, 2011
Hi Liz, I think that if it was me, and I got along ok with the white bread and pasta in the chicken broth, that's what I would stick with for a couple of days. I've never heard it was ok to eat cream of wheat on even a low fiber diet. Also if he has the usual cipro and flag combo, you are not supposed to eat dairy products with those pills. Maybe if you call the Dr's office and explain to the Dr's nurse how sick the antibiotics are making him, they could give him some different ones.
liz

Sacramento, CA

#7 May 29, 2011
Thank you Georgia! This is a wonderful thread. What a help it has been reading this. The ER nurse and doctor were not extremely informative on the diet aspect of this which seems to be crucial in preventinng flare ups (in my very limited research so far)! You all are so informative. Thank you.
Georgia

United States

#8 May 29, 2011
Hi Liz,
I can just tell you what has happened to me, but if you want to know everything you will need to know about Diverticulitis, read all or even 1/2 of the posts on Diverticulitis attack recovery time. That is where I learned everything and it saved me!!! I have only found 1 person that states their Dr. has been helpful with telling them what they should be eating. That is really sad!!!

Since: May 11

Richmond, CA

#9 May 29, 2011
Hi Georgia,
I have been surfing the net, so to speak, since we got home on Friday (even in the ER on my phone)! So far, I think things are improving a bit but I think this will be a lifestyle change for both of us!
Frank

Odessa, FL

#10 May 30, 2011
Hi,

Once you complete your Flagly/Cipro. Then start taking a Probiotic capsule daily. This will replenish the good bacteria and helps digestive health. Find it at local pharmacy or walmart. Do not need a prescription. This has been a life saver for me. As you get better, increase your fiber intake slowly also.
Good Luck.
GTT

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Jun 22, 2011
I was just diagnosed based on symptoms. I am still waiting for the CT scan. How long does it take to feel better? Does anyone know? I have a lot of self blame for not eating more fiber, but still feel that stress plays a role. Any thoughts?
Georgia

United States

#12 Jun 22, 2011
Hi GTT, You should feel better in a couple of days. Some people need to be on a clear liquid diet for a couple of days before they feel better. Then go to a low fiber diet for a couple of weeks or more. I have heard that it runs in families, both my grandparents had it. I do know stress brought on my attacks. When the stress went away my attacks stopped. Hope you feel better soon.
Good luck
suzanne GB

Trowbridge, UK

#13 Jun 28, 2011
Hi. I am so glad i have found this.Feel very lost no support from the doctors with advice or diet. Treated me for an overy problem but is DV confirmed with a scan. I have been on metronidazole and wants to add cefradine as well. not sure how long it should take to get back to high fibre and advice would be great. Last attack fever, pain could not walk at one stage lasted 4 days. Bit lost really and very worried of another attack bit sore today but is that normal and how long does it take. Has anyone tried physllium husk my friend said it was great. all help very welcome
Georgia

United States

#14 Jun 28, 2011
Hi Suzanne,
Physllium husk is fiber and you do NOT want to be taking it while you are recovering from an attack. Many people need to be on a clear liquid diet for a few days or until the pain is gone. You then start on a low fiber diet. This is the diet the Mayo Clinic recommends.: Canned fruits, Desserts without seeds or nuts, Eggs, Enriched white bread, Fruit juice with little or no pulp, Low-fiber cereals, Milk, Yogurt or cheese without seeds or nuts, Smooth peanut butter, Tender meat, poultry and fish,White rice or plain pasta, noodles or macaroni, Well-cooked vegetables without seeds or skins. You may need this low fiber diet for a couple weeks or more before slowly starting back on the fiber foods. Also it is extremely important to eat tiny meals—about the size of half a sandwich. To much food can also cause a good amount of pain. Good luck, I sure hope this helps.
chagen

Manchester, NH

#15 Jul 2, 2011
It has been a whirlwind since I was diagnosed on 6/28 with this. I also have an abscess. Been on the Flagyl/Cipro since then. I was immediately referred to a surgeon and wasn't told much more. Of course the surgeon says...colonscopy in 6 weeks and then we operate. To say I was dumbfounded is an understatement. I had never even heard the term diverticulitis before and now I'm told surgery. Luckly I talked to a different doc and she mentioned the Mayo clinic website so at least I will know what to eat to try to calm this down.
But surgery really?
Georgia

United States

#16 Jul 2, 2011
Hi chagen, I need to just comment that everyone is different. If you listen to what your body tells you with the different foods you will figure out if you really need the surgery or not. Can't go wrong with the Mayo diet. It saved me.
chagen

Manchester, NH

#17 Jul 2, 2011
Thanks Georgia, it seems like my life has done a 180 in the past few days. Finding this forum today has been a lifesaver.
Georgia

United States

#18 Jul 2, 2011
You're not alone, chagen. It was a lifesaver for me too!! If you can read it from the beginning. You will know everything you will ever need to know about Diverticulitis. To bad the Dr.'s aren't forced to read it so they would know what to tell their patients.
chagen

Manchester, NH

#19 Jul 2, 2011
Georgia wrote:
You're not alone, chagen. It was a lifesaver for me too!! If you can read it from the beginning. You will know everything you will ever need to know about Diverticulitis. To bad the Dr.'s aren't forced to read it so they would know what to tell their patients.
Thank you - I am starting to feel less anxious aleady.
Christine United States

Northfield, MN

#20 Jan 24, 2012
I am reading everyones comments and suggestions and they are very useful. I am 32 yrs old and have never in my life had any sort of bowel issues. On xmas day this year I went to the ER with severe pain. Thinking it was an ovarian cyst which has broughten me to the ER before. They did a CT scan to see and the ER Dr. came back and said it was DV. to add I had a micto perforation. I had no fever the entire 6day hospital stay. But my WBC's were high. Obviously a severe acute case. I was beyond shocked. I have a colonoscopy in a month and they are talking surgery? granted they may find more with the scan, but I am so leary to get surgery when I have been so healthy thus far. I want to hear peoples thoughts and or stories on surgery?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diverticulitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Sun Doug B 4,738
smouldering infection. (Feb '13) Sat jane2027 7
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) Apr 20 Cat1858 2,693
Colon Wall Thickening as as Symptom of Divertic... (Jun '07) Apr 20 Terry 51
Please read my prev post So afraid told needed ... Apr 17 Melony 7
Recovery from Diverticulitis (Sep '07) Apr 17 mayers 752
What to eat during flare ups (Apr '12) Apr 16 Bonneau 92
More from around the web