United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking around here ever since my first diverticulitis attack back in December 08. Since then I have had 5 attacks and finally elected to have surgery 8 days ago. The surgeon removed 10 inches of my intestine which he said was starting to perforate in four different areas (scary). I am 30 years old and have never had any of the risk factors (healthy diet, never been overweight, moderately active).

Well now I am 8 days post surgery... I feel okay. Tired and some slight intermittent shooting pains on the left side and around the central incision (around my belly button. The worse pains I am having are lower back pains ... does anyone have any ideas?

I was also wondering how long it takes for the bloating to go down in the abdomen? I am getting married in early August and have dress fittings coming up; I am concerned about my body getting back to some semblance of normal.

Thanks everyone!!!!
Joy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Hi Shannon, I am 6 months post lap surgery. I did not experience any back pain after my surgery, just in my lower abdomen. As far as bloating goes, I didn't have any of that either as I recall, cartainly nothing I could notice from the outside. Sorry I don't have any advice other then to take it very easy for a while, eat very lightly and watch out for the fibre... it has taken me many months to get back to a high fibre diet without getting a ton of gas and. in the first few months, nausea! I think we are all different though so just take things slowly and listen to your body. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage :-) Joy
deborah

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

hi everyone...i have a question regarding bloating....i have terrible bloating...i look like i am pregnant...as i have mentioned in other posts my colonscopy results say a lot of diver on the left and also a kink in my bowel...i am wondering if those with diver had a lot of bloating...seems no matter what i eat the bloat is there.....or....could it be the partial blockage causing the bloat as i assume everything doesn't exit as well as it should either....

any responses would sure be appreciated......deborah
Fern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Hi; It has been over 2 yrs since I had colon resection surgery for diverticulitis and still am trying to find out why I was left with all kinds of problems which I did not have before surgery. Everything I eat goes to gas, bloating, cramping, pain under rib area, feeling sick to my stomach & lots of bowl movements.. I can not find a doctor that can tell me why I am having this problems. Only thing I have found that has helped a little with the gas is vinegar in a cup of pepperment tea with honey. If I could get rid of the gas I think things would be find. Has anyone found a good solution to the gas problem??? Thanks, Fern
deborah wrote:
hi everyone...i have a question regarding bloating....i have terrible bloating...i look like i am pregnant...as i have mentioned in other posts my colonscopy results say a lot of diver on the left and also a kink in my bowel...i am wondering if those with diver had a lot of bloating...seems no matter what i eat the bloat is there.....or....could it be the partial blockage causing the bloat as i assume everything doesn't exit as well as it should either....
any responses would sure be appreciated......deborah

Since: Jun 08

Trevose, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Shannon,

The bloating in my abdomen went down about a week after I got home from the hospital. I asked my wife if my stomach looked different and she laughed, she said yeah, all the swelling went down. It was over night, one day it was there the next it was gone.

And to Deborah and Fern,

I have noticed that i seem to get a lot more gas since the surgery. I don't know why, but I do eat a lot of fiber, everyday. I also make sure I drink lots of water to get the fiber out. I've taken Beeno and simethicone, they give a little relief, but I've learned to like with the gas. I'll take the gas over the pain any day!

Patt
Fern

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Thanks, Patt. I sure wish I knew what the answer to my problems is. These problems was not there before surgery, so something to do with surgery has caused it. I can't believe I am the only one out there that has these problems or so many after colon surgery. There has to be an answer. Would go to a doctor in a larger area if I felt it would do any good but not sure where would be the best place to go. This is probably something I will do this fall if I have not gotten any answers by then. I just hate putting my body through more tests. If I take something would like it to be a more natural treatment then just to be put on pill that can cause more problems.

Any one with gas I do recommend trying one tsp of vinegar with a cup of peppermint tea w/meals or right after. It helps me some. I also message my stomach. If you have had surgery I would check with your doctor fisrt before doing it. It was 2 yrs after my surgery that I thought of doing it so felt it was safe. The messaging helps with the pain under the rib area.

Fern

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Diverticulitis Forum right now

Search the Diverticulitis Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Regrets on having Diverticulitis surgery/colon ... (May '12) 5 hr MargaritaS from CO 2,074
Colon Resection Surgeon Recommendation (Aug '12) 7 hr roscova 3
Food and Recipes and How We're Doing (Jan '13) 13 hr Deb 787
Anyone try this approach to Diverticulosis? (Nov '07) 19 hr Nadine 48
Has anyone tried the Pain Free Foods Diet? (Dec '13) Tue Dana 10
Misdiagnosed Tue cheryl 2
Diverticulitis and fistula, need advice from an... (May '10) Tue cheryl 56
Advice for After Colon Resection? (Jan '09) Jul 16 Ace 4,424
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••