staffing in acute dialysis units

Posted in the Dialysis Forum

Stephanie

Salisbury, MD

#1 Jun 4, 2006
Hi. I'm interested in finding out how other acute units are dealing with the lack of information governing staffing ratios, staffing mix, etc. in the hospital-based dialysis setting. Also, to what extent are dialysis techs used in this setting? How are isolation patients, especially Hep B, being handled; one staff person per infected pt.? Thanks.
Lia

Burlington, VT

#2 Jun 20, 2006
working in a unit that has a 1/3 ratio of staff to patients, i feel things would be safer with at least a 2/3 ratio... staff will be able to pay closer attention to patients, and turnover would be smoother.
LISA

Jackson, MS

#3 Feb 21, 2007
I HAVE BEEN A PCT FOR 5 YEARS AND I FELL MOST DIALYSIS CLINIC ARE UNDER STAFFED AND AS FAR AS A ISOLATION ALL HEP AND HIV PT ARE IN NOMAL POPULATION IN OUR CLINIC AND WE CAN RUN A PT AFTER A HIV PT BUT BEFORE WE CAN RUN A PT AFTER A HEP + PT WE HAVE TO BLEACH AND RINSE THE MACHINE THAT TO ME IS ASS BACKWARDS.AND ORE RATIO IN OUR CLINIC IS 1/5 AND WE HAVE TO PUT ON ALL PT EVEN CATHS OUR NURSE HAS IT MADE
Dena

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jun 2, 2007
Stephanie wrote:
Hi. I'm interested in finding out how other acute units are dealing with the lack of information governing staffing ratios, staffing mix, etc. in the hospital-based dialysis setting. Also, to what extent are dialysis techs used in this setting? How are isolation patients, especially Hep B, being handled; one staff person per infected pt.? Thanks.
Hi Stephanie: I work in an acute setting and we do Not use PCT's, because we are in and out of the ICU's. These patient's are very unstable. The other thing is Hospital policy is that an RN can be alone running a patient but a PCT or LPN can not. A Registered Nurse with Tele training must be available. Oh, About iso patients: All iso, Hep, HIV, MRSA, VRE, any iso has their seperate room. We run only iso's in that room. So we stagger them through out the day. If we run out of iso rooms than we curtain another area and we do bleach after Hep and HIV/Aids runs. Hope this helps Happy Dialysis
Dena

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jun 2, 2007
In Addition, We do try for the most part to only staff 1:1 with any isolation pt and if it is the same strain of isolation that it can be 2:1. Lastly, About the staffing ratios! Some days it is tough. We stagger our start times. A few at 630am then, 8am, 9am, 10am. We work 10 hour shifts. Then, We have 1 night nurse that covers Mon-Thurs. This person does all the weekly bleaching, ordering, and emergency runs needed. Then, the rest of the staff assist with Emergency runs on the weekend. We are schedule every 3rd weekend and On call every 13th or so weekend day(24hours). In, addition to our normal staff we have per diems, on calls, and other people that float over from other hospitals. It seems to work out when we are over flowing.
Nikki

Beaverton, OR

#7 Jun 25, 2009
I am very concerned about the staffing issue in the new unit that I am being transferred to and was hoping to hear what other nurses thought about it.The last day that I worked there were 15 pt's running each of 2 shifts. We had 4 techs and then let one go home early on the 2nd shift. I was the only RN, no secretary on the unit as we share one with another unit and she was there, no RCIT (lead tech, no other support staff ie social worker or dietician
and the manager is on emergency leave and even if they are in the building the managers office is remote from the pt care area. I am very concerned about pt safety and putting my license in jeopardy by being the only RN. Any help to back me up out there?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dialysis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dialysis patients frustrated with Washington Ri... 2 hr Roto Rooter 10
Offering Dialysis pillows for arm support durin... (Dec '12) 6 hr djwpillow 3
My Latest Blog Post: On the Production Line Mar '15 Bob Northam 1
My Latest Blog Post: Bad Patient (Oct '14) Oct '14 Bob Northam 1
News Correction: Halton Kidney Walk is Sept. 20 (Aug '14) Aug '14 VERY SCARY 2
News Kidney transplant recipient James to represent ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Goyim 1
News Paducah man with blood disorder seeks kidney tr... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Beth barton 1
More from around the web