Diabetes research: Researchers say va...

Diabetes research: Researchers say vaccine cures type 1 diabete...

There are 19 comments on the Fox 31 KDVR story from Apr 9, 2010, titled Diabetes research: Researchers say vaccine cures type 1 diabete.... In it, Fox 31 KDVR reports that:

CALGARY, Alberta - Canadian researchers say they used a sophisticated nanotechnology-based vaccine to cure type 1 diabetes in mice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 31 KDVR.

Angel Wings

Tulsa, OK

#1 Apr 9, 2010
Please tells us when it cures it in humans.
Snooze! zzzzz zzzzz!
Ron

Traverse City, MI

#2 Apr 9, 2010
There are literally hundreds of "cures" that work in the NOD(non obese diabetic) mouse. I have read articles like this over and over during the past 20 years. It's time to find either another animal model for Type I diabetes or test these "cures" in humans.
Chanelle Scott

Glendora, CA

#3 Apr 10, 2010
OMG this news has got me so hopefull now! I was 15yrs old when i got type 1 diabetes and now at the age of 25yrs i pray to god that i can be rid of this terrible diease! I will take part in this experiment if it means a chance of haveing my old healthy self back, any one knows of a study i will come back to Canada as i am from Medicine Hat Alberta anyway! Email me to [email protected] or find me on face book! thank you

Since: Mar 10

Denver, CO

#4 Apr 10, 2010
i pray this becomes fact rather than fiction i have type 2 diabetes hopefully soon they will find a cure before i have type 1 diabetes ......
Lisa

Manchester, NH

#5 Apr 10, 2010
I hope this is a new begining for all Type 1 Diabetics...
Lisa

Manchester, NH

#6 Apr 10, 2010
I've had Type 1 for three years now. My life is NOT normal...This research would help me get back to being normal...no injections, no testing!!!
AtLeastItsNotCra ck

Denver, CO

#7 Apr 13, 2010
This would be a wonderful announcement, except for the fact that if they cure diabetes endochrinologists and pharmaceuticals will be out a lot of money, i am positive this is the last we will hear of this. Rick Simpson says one of the things his hemp oil cures is diabetes, but the Diabetes association will never let it be tested, maybe the hemp oil will work for some of you, take a look, watch the video documentary "Run from the cure" free on youtube. Please remember it is "Run FROM" not "run for"
Cure Greed First

Las Vegas, NV

#8 Apr 13, 2010
I have little to no hope for a "cure", I believe Diabetes has had a cure for years. Sadly, it isn't cost effective to give it to us. I have had Type I for over 20 years. Most people don't get the gravity of this disease... they just figure you don't eat sugar and you'll be fine.
mommy

United States

#9 Apr 13, 2010
Well someone needs to hurry up and make those big dollars spent really come true! not in mice hopefully in humans for a change. But if they really did come up with a cure they probably would not spill the news because they would be out of alooot of $.
Blackwater

Denver, CO

#10 Apr 14, 2010
I'm sure there's a cure for MD, MS, cancer, alzheimer's disease, diabetes etc. where millions or billions of dollars have been given for research each year over past decades. The deep pockets of researchers would be empty if the spigot was shut off. I suspect the FDA is behind it too. Look at all the money hospitals and doctors would lose. I smell a rat.
Uknowme

Heber City, UT

#11 Apr 14, 2010
Rat smelled.. and continue to be smelled.. The cure is only available to all the "bruce waynes" in the world from the "alberts" in the world, if you know what I mean.
karen

Greensboro, NC

#12 Apr 14, 2010
RE: Atleast not crack comment
Type one dm in respects to type two is very minimal. Endocrinologist/Drug companies will remain very active treating the type two's. In 2005 7% of the us population had dm. this was roughly 20.8 million. of these 14.6 were dx and the undiagnosed were 6.2 mill. Approximately 5-10% have type one which were included in the orginal total. So compaired to type two, type one would be very easy to let the cure happen. It may be a little more difficult for the change in type 2 for obvious reasons. Even though the diseases essentially do the same thing. They do it in tow different ways. I went to a confrence and the Endocrinologist speaking stated he expected a cure in the next 5-10 years for DM1.
HOPE is on the way. This will happen. Until then those of us with dm 1 our job is to stay as healthy as possible until it arrives.
Karen Wells RN
karen

Greensboro, NC

#13 Apr 14, 2010
Jonny

Heber City, UT

#14 May 1, 2010
Looks like the race is on between nanoparticles, the Faustman labs, and stem cell implants! The first one to patent a cure will have it! Good luck to all, and who gets the cure first will take the money and run!
Mary

Brownwood, TX

#15 May 5, 2010
i hope it does work.. my son is type 1 and if this works it will give him a better life an no more worries
Chris

Calera, AL

#16 May 7, 2010
<Labratory Rat with type one. Where do I enroll? LOL I am a type 1 diabetic and I have been one for over 38 years. I am as brittle as they get. I could tell a large number of stories in my autobiography of the hypo reactions I had. It would sell a million copies. I just haven't lerned to writ yet. LOL
Well I hate to be a negative person but there will never be a cure for diabetes, cancer etc. There has never been anything cured since Polio (1963). If I had a penny for every article or news story in the last 38 years about being "THIS CLOSE" to finding a cure for diabetes. I would be able to buy a the new insulin pump without insurance help. LOL The sad part of the world we live in is there is too much money in illness. Look at how much the economy would suffer if they found a cure. Once again I am not trying to destroy anyones hope. But someone pointed it out to me. After doing research on it I don't do anymore fundraisers for Diabetes Research. I wish I had all the money that I helped raise in 20 years. But one thing is for sure they have come along way since having to urinate in a cup and take 5 drops of urine and ten drops of water. Then drop the big capsule into the tube a pray for it to be blue. Mine usually was orange. LOL Only the older generation would no what I am talking about. The ones that walked to school barefoot in the snow. LOL But I have truly been blessed by God and He is the ONLY reason that I am still alive. If anyone would like to tell stories about their hypoglycemic reactions I would love to trade stories. You can contact me at [email protected] I hope everyone has a Blessed Day!!
Richie

Calgary, Canada

#17 May 12, 2010
Please check (Google is your friend) for the results of adding trace minerals to your health regimen. Especially chromium picolinate and vanadium for diabetes. Good health!
faithfulone

London, OH

#19 Jul 17, 2010
I have never experinced so many hopeless, conspiracy theorists lumped together in my life. For all of you people who say that diabetes will never be cured because of pharmaceutical companies...how do you explain that the researchers who are currently working to find a cure have no connection to pharmaceutical companies? How exactly are the companies working behind the scenes to manipulate or sabotage the researchers efforts? Furthermore, does it make sense to you that the researchers are going to carry on their experiments when they know it will never amount to anything. Some people are so suspicious of good news they will go out of their way to make it seem meaningless. I, on the other hand, am an optimist. I do believe there will be cure someday for my young son. I have hope and faith. Thank God!
Enrique Vega

Wyong, Australia

#20 Aug 30, 2010
If a cure for diabetes is possible,why not let us,the people having to deal with it, have a chance to taste a real ice cream,I am willing to give any thing a go,that for sure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Diabetes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dexcom sensors, receivers, transmitters 23 min Ralphr 23
Dexcom G4 and sensors 16 hr Konstantin 1
Medtronic quick set infusion sets 32 inch 6mm 23 hr Tammi0815 2
Novolog vials sealed in box 23 hr Zhowcott1 2
CGM Medtronic Minimed- MiniLink Transmitter for... Tue ashleysmith__2016 1
MMT 397 and 3.0 reservoir's Mon Jim75 7
Mios/Sensors Feb 25 ThePumper 3
More from around the web