Poison Ivy VS Scabies
Sum

Mantua, OH

#1 Oct 1, 2011
I am almost going insane!
My 9 yr old spent the weekend with a family member 7 days ago. He came home with what I was told was a bug bite which spread over the top of his arms, neck, face and thigh. We took him to the doc who then diagnosed with contact dermatitis most likely poison ivy. His father grew up with being extremely sensitive to it so that was that. He was put on an oral steriod pack as well as cortisone cream. Over the next few days we watched it and even though it was not getting better dramatically it sis not spread or get worse. Last night (day 6) he got out of the shower and we discovered a new patch of the rash that was pussing on the highest part of his arm by his shoulder and his leg was getting worse.
By this time he was off of the oral but still using the cream. We decided to take him to the walk in doc this morning (its Sat)to get him a steroid shot or other meds. at first the nurses all commenting that it was a case of him scratching and spreading ( he IS 9 lol) The doc came in the room and everything changed...
Apparently according to him he has SCABIES?! These are the reasons why I am soo confused over this, 1) There is NO rash between his fingers or toes, in crotch or butt 2) he has not complained about the itching, from what I have heard and read the itch from scabies is unbearable, of course he does scratch but it is not extreme and 3) there is NO ONE around us that has scabies, we have called every friend and family that he has stayed with in the last month..... the ONE symptom is that he has linear marks of bumps...which other medical professionals have said are from him scratching at the beginning of the outbreak that are now filled in with the ivy
SO after my (LONG sry) rant, my question is this, Is there ANY way to have scabies without the other symptoms? Now I have already bought the meds for scabies and began to clean everything just in case because I am nervous...but the more my husband and I think and talk about it I am just not sure.....PLEASE can someone give me an opinion? I have never seen it before!
Lori

Lancaster, PA

#2 Jun 3, 2013
Sum wrote:
I am almost going insane!
My 9 yr old spent the weekend with a family member 7 days ago. He came home with what I was told was a bug bite which spread over the top of his arms, neck, face and thigh. We took him to the doc who then diagnosed with contact dermatitis most likely poison ivy. His father grew up with being extremely sensitive to it so that was that. He was put on an oral steriod pack as well as cortisone cream. Over the next few days we watched it and even though it was not getting better dramatically it sis not spread or get worse. Last night (day 6) he got out of the shower and we discovered a new patch of the rash that was pussing on the highest part of his arm by his shoulder and his leg was getting worse.
By this time he was off of the oral but still using the cream. We decided to take him to the walk in doc this morning (its Sat)to get him a steroid shot or other meds. at first the nurses all commenting that it was a case of him scratching and spreading ( he IS 9 lol) The doc came in the room and everything changed...
Apparently according to him he has SCABIES?! These are the reasons why I am soo confused over this, 1) There is NO rash between his fingers or toes, in crotch or butt 2) he has not complained about the itching, from what I have heard and read the itch from scabies is unbearable, of course he does scratch but it is not extreme and 3) there is NO ONE around us that has scabies, we have called every friend and family that he has stayed with in the last month..... the ONE symptom is that he has linear marks of bumps...which other medical professionals have said are from him scratching at the beginning of the outbreak that are now filled in with the ivy
SO after my (LONG sry) rant, my question is this, Is there ANY way to have scabies without the other symptoms? Now I have already bought the meds for scabies and began to clean everything just in case because I am nervous...but the more my husband and I think and talk about it I am just not sure.....PLEASE can someone give me an opinion? I have never seen it before!
What did you find out? Was it scabies or was it poison ivy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This is worth a shot Jun '15 freedombanjo 1
Contact dermatitis Jun '15 swedish98 2
Perioral Dermatitis (Jan '14) Dec '14 rosemary33 2
Eczema Sufferers (Sep '11) Dec '14 Bexy 6
Dermatitis (Apr '14) Apr '14 Lin 1
Atopic Dermatitis (Feb '14) Mar '14 Stive Novack 2
Atopic Dermatitis (Feb '12) Sep '13 Dave 8
More from around the web