When depression sets in

Aug 23, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Penticton Herald

“The new system is a slow-release system”

Even though psychiatrists have had success in treating depression they're always looking for ways to improve their results says a local psychiatrist. via Penticton Herald

Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Sep 24, 2013

“It's about freedom of choice.”

Since: Jun 07

Mannasas Va.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2007

Interesting study.

I've been on Lexapro for over a week & still feel like crap & I don't know why seeing as how I thought I was getting better when I first began treatment.
sam

Edmonton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2007

can you please write down your feelings and thoughts when you have a breakdown (a moment of depression). i would like to know what it is like to be extremely depressed. maybe then i can help or at least become aware of such important issue. i am seriously thinking about joining the distress center we have here in the community.

“Spread kindness not hate!”

Since: Aug 07

Decatur, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2007

To Mike in VA,

Antidepressants usually take from 3-6 weeks before they start acting like they are supposed to. I've been on most of them, and the wait is very frustrating and difficult.

“It's about freedom of choice.”

Since: Jun 07

Mannasas Va.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2007

Mary HatesTVsportsnews wrote:
To Mike in VA,
Antidepressants usually take from 3-6 weeks before they start acting like they are supposed to. I've been on most of them, and the wait is very frustrating and difficult.
Yes,that's what I was told by my psychiatrist when she first prescribed the medication over two weeks ago.I have another appointment with her on september 6th so we'll just have to see how things go from there.

Things have certainly changed a bit since last month though because I had my flat out worst day on 7/31/07,which was just before I started taking the medication.
HumanSpirit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2007

From: Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James F Balch, MD and Phillis A. Balch, CNC

Tryptophan

Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that is necessary for the production of vitamin B3 (niacin). It is used by the brain to produce serotonin, a necessary neurotransmitter that transfers nerve impulses from one cell to another and is responsible for normal sleep. Consequently, tryptophan helps to combat depression and insomnia and to stabilize moods. It helps to control hyperactivity in children, alleviates stress, is good for the heart, aids in weight control by reducing appetite, and enhances the release of growth hormone. It is good
for migraine headaches, and may reduce some of the effects of nicotine. A sufficient amount of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) is necessary for the formation of tryptophan, which, in turn, is required for the formation of serotonin. A lack of tryptophan and magnesium may contribute to coronary artery spasms.
The best dietary sources of tryptophan include brown rice, cottage cheese, meat, peanuts, and soy protein.
This amino acid is not available in supplement form in the United States. In November of 1989, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported evidence linking L-tryptophan supplements to a blood disorder called eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS). Several hundred cases of this illness-which is characterized b~ an elevated white blood cell count and can also cause such symptoms as fatigue, muscular pain, respiratory ailments, edema, and rash-were reported, and at least one death was attributed to the outbreak. After the CDC established an association between the blood disorder and products containing L~tryptophan in New Mexico, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration first warned consumers to stop taking L-tryptophan supplements, then recalled all products in which L-tryptophan was the sole or a major component. Subsequent research showed that it was contaminants in the supplements, not the tryptophan, that was probably responsible for the problem, but tryptophan supplements are still banned from the market in the United States.

----------

Note that Eli Lilly has exclusive rights to market Tryptophan

----------
more: other
Amino Acid: Tryptophan

http://www.ceri.com/trypto.htm

----------
This is not new information.

Turkey is a good source of Tryptophan for personality stability and general health same as "Albacore" Tuna.

The article points to Tryptophan being politically reduced in the food supply by the FDA in the 1970's at the same time that Prozac / Ritalin entered the market place.

It's a dirty political deal.
Zoompad

Coventry, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2007

HumanSpirit wrote:
From: Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James F Balch, MD and Phillis A. Balch, CNC
Tryptophan
Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that is necessary for the production of vitamin B3 (niacin). It is used by the brain to produce serotonin, a necessary neurotransmitter that transfers nerve impulses from one cell to another and is responsible for normal sleep. Consequently, tryptophan helps to combat depression and insomnia and to stabilize moods. It helps to control hyperactivity in children, alleviates stress, is good for the heart, aids in weight control by reducing appetite, and enhances the release of growth hormone. It is good
for migraine headaches, and may reduce some of the effects of nicotine. A sufficient amount of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) is necessary for the formation of tryptophan, which, in turn, is required for the formation of serotonin. A lack of tryptophan and magnesium may contribute to coronary artery spasms.
The best dietary sources of tryptophan include brown rice, cottage cheese, meat, peanuts, and soy protein.
This amino acid is not available in supplement form in the United States. In November of 1989, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported evidence linking L-tryptophan supplements to a blood disorder called eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS). Several hundred cases of this illness-which is characterized b~ an elevated white blood cell count and can also cause such symptoms as fatigue, muscular pain, respiratory ailments, edema, and rash-were reported, and at least one death was attributed to the outbreak. After the CDC established an association between the blood disorder and products containing L~tryptophan in New Mexico, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration first warned consumers to stop taking L-tryptophan supplements, then recalled all products in which L-tryptophan was the sole or a major component. Subsequent research showed that it was contaminants in the supplements, not the tryptophan, that was probably responsible for the problem, but tryptophan supplements are still banned from the market in the United States.
----------
Note that Eli Lilly has exclusive rights to market Tryptophan
----------
more: other
Amino Acid: Tryptophan
http://www.ceri.com/trypto.htm
----------
This is not new information.
Turkey is a good source of Tryptophan for personality stability and general health same as "Albacore" Tuna.
The article points to Tryptophan being politically reduced in the food supply by the FDA in the 1970's at the same time that Prozac / Ritalin entered the market place.
It's a dirty political deal.
Well spotted, sharp eyes and even sharper brain, and well said.:)
Elisha

Czech Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••